**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Thoughts on rank down, rank up, and broken champs in general

I get why rank down tickets are bad. I understand the argument why they are wanted.

But to have an actual constructive thread, let me tell you why both arguments miss the point.

They were issued because champs were nerfed. This was a pretty legitimate concept to calm down everyone who would probably have quit because their Scarlett Witch can't stun lock everything in the game all day long anymore and they'd have to learn how to actually play.

People now want them because their antman is no longer useful. Understandable. To be fair I'd never rank a champ only for defense, especially for a couple nodes where he'll get one entire kill. But that's my logic. Some did and now he's useless.

So to recap: we only get a rank down for champions who are nerfed. We have to make smart decisions on who we rank up. Sounds like a good plan.

Oh wait. What about those who ranked up their vision who is broken and has been for a while (conveniently and coincidentally while he's the best to use on the collector fight)?

What about rogue and her power steal?

What about nebula who can pull triple digit damage if you play her right? Wait you can't parry. Wait again. You can't even charge her shock now.

Archangel?

What about my Spiderman who CAN'T attack while evading like the AI version can?

Joking about Spiderman. But plenty of good champs we smartly rank up have major issues. We cast them aside to use solid champs who get the job done.

See some make great ranking decisions and suffer too. Not saying they deserve rank down tickets. But if I had them I'd use them on champs who are and have been broken for a while (excluding Spiderman, that was a joke).

Asking for something you will never receive is a waste of time. No rank down tickets are coming. But maybe they'll fix a bunch of stuff I want to rank down. Lol? Please.

Btw if they let me attack while evading I'll spend thousands on the 7* Spiderman.

Comments

• Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,758 ★★★★★
    No champ was affected. No rank down tickets needed
  • DarkestDestroyerDarkestDestroyer Posts: 2,874 ★★★★★
    eXtripa69 wrote: »

He has a point some champs were ranked solely for dealing with nodes or to be put on nodes that no longer exist
  • I only ranked up BW to deal with thorns
  • Just start calling them "reverse rank crystals". That will negate the ONLY argument the apologists have for saying you shouldn't get em.
  • Whoops.
    "reverse rank stones"
    That'll work better.
  • MegaSkater67MegaSkater67 Posts: 1,377 ★★★★

He has a point some champs were ranked solely for dealing with nodes or to be put on nodes that no longer exist

Said this in another thread, so I'll say it again here. If they were to come back it would completely break the structure of the game. No champion has been nerfed like 12.0 so there's no need for them. Yes some aren't as useful on defence but that's the nature of the game. Things change and that should be expected. Look at the difference from the day the game released and now. If it didn't change it would get boring after a while. Just have to adapt and readjust. Decisions on who to rank up have always been important and permanent. If a champ is only good on 1 particular node in AW defence or for dealing with one particular node on AW offence, then maybe that's not the best choice. But if that's a risk you're willing to take then that's up to you.
  • Break the structure of the game? That's 100% asinine. That phrase is a scare tactic and anyone who thinks it thru would realize it's not true at all. You act as though people would either have an endless source of rdt's or so many that they could completely change their roster. Completely ridiculous argument.
    chunkyb wrote: »
    Break the structure of the game? That's 100% asinine. That phrase is a scare tactic and anyone who thinks it thru would realize it's not true at all. You act as though people would either have an endless source of rdt's or so many that they could completely change their roster. Completely ridiculous argument.

Rank ups have always been permanent. Why should that change now? One ticket would be enough to turn a hard challenge into something much easier. For example, the webslinger challenge or bautistas event. You could swap ultron for vision to deal with spite or winter soldier for black widow to deal with evade (wasn't needed I know but certainly made it much easier). Even 1 a month would have a massive impact on the game. They've already stated multiple times that they'd only be issued for big changes in how champions operate like in 12.0. That's not going to change from having daily rank down ticket threads.
  • DarkestDestroyerDarkestDestroyer Posts: 2,874 ★★★★★

Said this in another thread, so I'll say it again here. If they were to come back it would completely break the structure of the game. No champion has been nerfed like 12.0 so there's no need for them. Yes some aren't as useful on defence but that's the nature of the game. Things change and that should be expected. Look at the difference from the day the game released and now. If it didn't change it would get boring after a while. Just have to adapt and readjust. Decisions on who to rank up have always been important and permanent. If a champ is only good on 1 particular node in AW defence or for dealing with one particular node on AW offence, then maybe that's not the best choice. But if that's a risk you're willing to take then that's up to you.

Yeah I'm not agreeing with him 100% just saying he has a point as forum lover Extripa with nothing else to do apart from think his turds don't stink, annoys me a little with his bland answers
  • chunkyb wrote: »
    Break the structure of the game? That's 100% asinine. That phrase is a scare tactic and anyone who thinks it thru would realize it's not true at all. You act as though people would either have an endless source of rdt's or so many that they could completely change their roster. Completely ridiculous argument.

Rank ups have always been permanent. Why should that change now? One ticket would be enough to turn a hard challenge into something much easier. For example, the webslinger challenge or bautistas event. You could swap ultron for vision to deal with spite or winter soldier for black widow to deal with evade (wasn't needed I know but certainly made it much easier). Even 1 a month would have a massive impact on the game. They've already stated multiple times that they'd only be issued for big changes in how champions operate like in 12.0. That's not going to change from having daily rank down ticket threads.

Again, you're assuming they would have some sort of permanence or overflow in the game. There's no special quest going on right now, either. 5 (with a shelf life) to handle defense would cover all complaints.
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,758 ★★★★★

Again, you're assuming they would have some sort of permanence or overflow in the game. There's no special quest going on right now, either. 5 (with a shelf life) to handle defense would cover all complaints.

And "what" five exactly?
    Generics is not an answer

That was just an example. The same could be said for Act 5. The point I'm trying to make is rank up decisions are and always have been important. If you're able to rank them down again later, you'd be less hesitant about who you choose to take up, which imo takes away from a big part of the game which is developing rosters.
  • wookehwookeh Posts: 147 ★★
    I don't think anyone actually read the joke of a post. I'm not asking for anything. Lol.
  • AfridAfrid Posts: 529 ★★
    wookeh wrote: »
    I don't think anyone actually read the joke of a post. I'm not asking for anything. Lol.

That's what happens when you talk about RDT's
  • DL864DL864 Posts: 1,089 ★★★
    wookeh wrote: »
    I get why rank down tickets are bad. I understand the argument why they are wanted.

But to have an actual constructive thread, let me tell you why both arguments miss the point.

They were issued because champs were nerfed. This was a pretty legitimate concept to calm down everyone who would probably have quit because their Scarlett Witch can't stun lock everything in the game all day long anymore and they'd have to learn how to actually play.

People now want them because their antman is no longer useful. Understandable. To be fair I'd never rank a champ only for defense, especially for a couple nodes where he'll get one entire kill. But that's my logic. Some did and now he's useless.

So to recap: we only get a rank down for champions who are nerfed. We have to make smart decisions on who we rank up. Sounds like a good plan.

Oh wait. What about those who ranked up their vision who is broken and has been for a while (conveniently and coincidentally while he's the best to use on the collector fight)?

What about rogue and her power steal?

What about nebula who can pull triple digit damage if you play her right? Wait you can't parry. Wait again. You can't even charge her shock now.

Archangel?

What about my Spiderman who CAN'T attack while evading like the AI version can?

Joking about Spiderman. But plenty of good champs we smartly rank up have major issues. We cast them aside to use solid champs who get the job done.

See some make great ranking decisions and suffer too. Not saying they deserve rank down tickets. But if I had them I'd use them on champs who are and have been broken for a while (excluding Spiderman, that was a joke).

Asking for something you will never receive is a waste of time. No rank down tickets are coming. But maybe they'll fix a bunch of stuff I want to rank down. Lol? Please.

Btw if they let me attack while evading I'll spend thousands on the 7* Spiderman.

What about them changing aw so defender kills don't matter and defender diversity is much more points since the nodes are easy the champs we all ranked for defense are now pretty much useless. I would not have taken mordo to r5 and nether would 5 of my teammates if I knew defender kills won't count. So to me that's pretty big and honestly there should be something for making champs that were good defenders useless. I also took a 5* bpcw to rank 3 just for war I don't use him anywhere else so now he's pretty much pointless. So yeah I think honestly they should issue some rank down tickets if this is how aw is gonna be played
  • PhantomPhantom Posts: 228
    edited September 2017
    I can't disagree with the OP.

Imagine that someone had to choose between ranking up Iron Man or War Machine. They're both duped. Normally, War Machine would probably be the better choice. But the user might decide to go with Iron Man and put him on an Enhanced Regeneration Node to make his Arc Overload awesome.

Now, this might not be a great decision, but you can at least see why someone would do it. If Iron Man recovers about half of his health from Arc Overload, and you put him on a node where that Regen is doubled, you have to kill him twice with one champ, which might be hard to do in 3 minutes. You might not choose to rank Iron Man up, but many would for that reason.

What if, in about a year, someone made that decision to help their alliance in AW Defense? Then AW version 3 comes out. That node is gone now. The rank up wasn't worth it anymore.

Or let's take another example. What if someone had to choose whether to rank up Colossus or Black Widow. Now, normally, Black Widow would be the obvious choice. She has amazing ability reduction, and decent damage output. But maybe this user already has a Crossbones to reduce ability accuracy and put out high damage. They'd rather have a Bleed Immune champ to deal with those nodes that drain your life with Bleed. So they rank up Colossus. Then that node is taken. They've wasted resources and now have a terrible champion as one of their top few champs.

Or maybe, someone ranked up their Nightcrawler to r5. Many people in this user's alliance have a Nightcrawler on defense, but he's hard to beat, so the user did it anyway. Now there's defender diversity points, and it could've helped the user more to rank up a slightly worse defender, but get better rewards for diversity.

Can you at least see the argument? People rank up champs for certain reasons. If that reason is for a specific node on AW (which, again, might not be smart, but they did it), whether offensively of defensively, and then the node is taken away, the person was screwed over. The can't undo what they did, and they might have wasted some very rare resources for it. No one knew that this map would come out until recently, so they most likely thought that any rank ups would help in AW permanently. Just give out like one Rank Down Ticket or something. Only one. I highly doubt that many people made multiple decisions based on the couple nodes that were taken, but many did rank up one champ that's now out of use.
  • WorkingAsIntendedWorkingAsIntended Posts: 164 ★★
    I agree with the above posters they need to do something to balance it out. Defender diversity is hot garbage. And it stinks worse everyday.