Do people react differently to your posts based on the avatar you chose? Case study....

I've been noticing since X23 became my top champ (I keep my avatar on here the same as my avatar in game) people have replied and talked to me differently on the forums. Since going from a voodoo icon to an X23, I've gotten many more positive replies than I did before, and people seem over all more polite (outside of mods haha).... has anyone else experienced this before or am I thinking too much into it?
«1

Comments

  • Afrid wrote: »
    I want to start a fight with you right now to prove that you are wrong but that might get me banned. So I'm gonna control myself .

    hahaha... is that a no?
  • I haven't really noticed this behavior... If I were to take a guess, I'd think that the only potential difference in which players treat other players based on avatar is Spider Gwen vs anything else. But as mentioned before, haven't noticed this since my profile picture has always been Hyperion (Even though I don't have him, heh... one can dream right?)
  • Rotmgmoddy wrote: »
    I haven't really noticed this behavior... If I were to take a guess, I'd think that the only potential difference in which players treat other players based on avatar is Spider Gwen vs anything else. But as mentioned before, haven't noticed this since my profile picture has always been Hyperion (Even though I don't have him, heh... one can dream right?)

    could you do me a favor and change your avatar to a female character for a week and see if people reply to you differently.. I am genuinely curious.
  • nebneb Posts: 423 ★★★
    Yeah, it's a certain type of person that uses one of the god tier champs as their avatar
  • YellsomeYellsome Posts: 485
    See..this is y I asked for stark spidey avatar so I can look "cool"
  • Yellsome wrote: »
    See..this is y I asked for stark spidey avatar so I can look "cool"

    They seriously need to update the avatars, I want starky as mine too
  • Star_Lord_Star_Lord_ Posts: 518 ★★★
    neb wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a certain type of person that uses one of the god tier champs as their avatar

    What about using the avatar AND name? lol
  • SteelCurtainMUTSteelCurtainMUT Posts: 432 ★★
    The forums is filled with immature kids I can’t stand it, that’s why I never come on here. I also love how they think the “flag” is a dislike button lol not smart enough to know it’s to report abuse or spam etc just because they don’t agree they hit flag lol
  • WOKWOK Posts: 468 ★★
    I never even bothered to look into how to change my avatar. When I signed in Gwen was what I was automatically paired with, and it never struck me as something worth the effort of figuring out how to change. Cant say I have anything to compare to regarding how I'm addressed or approached by the rest of the community. LOL
  • Imac7065 wrote: »
    Rotmgmoddy wrote: »
    I haven't really noticed this behavior... If I were to take a guess, I'd think that the only potential difference in which players treat other players based on avatar is Spider Gwen vs anything else. But as mentioned before, haven't noticed this since my profile picture has always been Hyperion (Even though I don't have him, heh... one can dream right?)

    could you do me a favor and change your avatar to a female character for a week and see if people reply to you differently.. I am genuinely curious.

    I honestly doubt that changing my avatar to a female character is going to affect how people treat me. I mean, I did say a potential treatment change could be between Spider Gwen and another avatar, but even then, the key word is potential so it may not be true.

    I honestly believe it is just your identity and behavior that determines the kind of treatment you get. Been unconstructive and constantly try to start fights, likely bad treatment. Offering helpful advise to players or making people have a laugh, probably good treatment.
  • The forums is filled with immature kids I can’t stand it, that’s why I never come on here. I also love how they think the “flag” is a dislike button lol not smart enough to know it’s to report abuse or spam etc just because they don’t agree they hit flag lol

    There were quite a few suggestions from the community to input options that are antonyms of the current ones, such as disagree and dislike. Though it was considered, mods said that it could possibly make the forums feel more negative.

    Not sure if I really agree with that, dislike and disagree can be constructive opinions, like "I disagree with your idea because blah blah blah". Plus, it would be much better than someone falsely flagging the post for spam or abuse just because they don't like the post.

    What's worse is that false flagging is no different than real flagging. A post that is legitimately breaking the rules and has 3 flags compared to a post of an unpopular opinion but still following the rules that has 3 flags doesn't look any different in the respective player's profiles. It's still going to show the post that has been flagged 3 times for the legitimate player, and it just makes that player look bad even when they have done nothing wrong.
  • WOKWOK Posts: 468 ★★
    @Rotmgmoddy , now I'm curious. LOL Could you elaborate on what it is about Spidey Gwen and why? Depending on your answer, I just might have to put in the effort to figure out how to change avatars Hehe. I appreciate your time in filling me in. Thanks!
  • WOK wrote: »
    @Rotmgmoddy , now I'm curious. LOL Could you elaborate on what it is about Spidey Gwen and why? Depending on your answer, I just might have to put in the effort to figure out how to change avatars Hehe. I appreciate your time in filling me in. Thanks!

    Alright, as I mentioned, the key words in my first reply are "think" and "guess", and not "most definitely".

    I only made this assumption because Spider Gwen is a default avatar for any new forum user. As such, it could probably be considered by many as the "Newbie" or "Noob" profile picture. Because of that, they MIGHT treat you differently (either positively or negatively) because you have that avatar, which might make them think you are a newbie to the forums.

    But of course, it is a personal assumption, it may or may not be true. :P
  • SpiritSpirit Posts: 222
    Yeah haha. People don't like Iceman, too cocky maybe

    Really I dont seem to agree. Honestly I have been rollin as an iceman forever now and ppl at the forums have always given me a lot of respect .
    Its like they seem to find my posts to be the unicorn in the forums.( I definately dont get why Iceman profile should indicate that I am cocky!! :p:D )
  • WOKWOK Posts: 468 ★★
    @Rotmgmoddy , totally makes sense now that you've explained it! I'm somewhat relieved I dont have to learn how to change it, since I am technically a noob to the forums. LOL
    I appreciate the insight!
  • I honestly never tried to look to change my avatar...but now i want to go do it
  • YellsomeYellsome Posts: 485
    Iceman uses a lot of color..voodoo is black so people are more attracted to iceman posts than voodoo posts..

    sorry..didn't mean to be racist there
  • So how do i change my avatar being im new to the forums. Atleast new to chatting on them
  • Nvm had to get off the mobile version
  • realiTicrealiTic Posts: 96
    It could be that the people who post a lot here and receive negative feedback also have the same avatar as yours before the change. Causing people to unconsciously leaving you more negative feedback.
  • Dark_King888Dark_King888 Posts: 213
    It could just be that as you post more, you become more in line with the general forum opinion and your tone of comment aligns in confirmation of the forum, so you find people and people find you more accepting...
  • H3LLSHOW247H3LLSHOW247 Posts: 142
    edited September 2017
    Lol maybe, I have Captain America as my Avatar for 2 reasons. First he's my most powerful Champ that I have specifically 'Classic Cap', second he's my favourite Marvel Character. ^^
  • LocoMotivesLocoMotives Posts: 1,200 ★★★
    edited September 2017
    I tend to have a reaction based on other players with a similar avatar that I've interacted with. But I try to not let the reaction form my opinion.

    I also changed my avatar from crossbones to Joe. Partly because he's a more unique avatar (easier to find my comments) and partly because he was my in-game face for a while way back in the day. Haven't noticed any change in going from a good character to a bad one though.
Sign In or Register to comment.