**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Storytime - Arc 3 - Choosing Your Own Path

2»

Comments

• HeroBoltsyHeroBoltsy Posts: 785 ★★★

random thought, if you want “inspiration” google Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIgfiSzCy1o

...I've heard of it. No plans to incorporate it. Thanks, though. Intro will be up hopefully later today.
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,795 ★★★★★

...I've heard of it. No plans to incorporate it. Thanks, though. Intro will be up hopefully later today.
    meant it as more of a joke lol. but a freak like me needs company has no right to be a a catchy as it is.

meant it as more of a joke lol. but a freak like me needs company has no right to be a a catchy as it is.
    Alright. I'll look into it. Thanks again for the suggestion!
    A darkened room, a light wind blowing through it, lit only by the crackling, flickering lightbulb above. In this room sat the Collector, the master of all the Battlerealm, who held the power to trap Champions in crystals at his whim. And yet, he sat here, his hair disheveled, bags beginning to lengthen underneath his eyes. So there were some so called "heroes" who dared attack him, eh? So there were some that would rebel? Well, he would be prepared, alright. A few nights would be sacrificed to sleeplessness, and a few dozen of his favorite tools would have to be consumed, but those were nothing compared to his safety.

He looked up at a board, full of plans, full of maps and traps - like the cruellest of Dungeon Masters preparing to kill his entire party. He was satisfied, alright. He was more than satisfied. And best of all, his plans to end this little masquerade once and for all had already begun.

A television next to him crackled to life, tuning into a video feed. On the other hand, the newly shaven face of Frank Castle, the Punisher, and now the Ghost Rider. "Frank!" the Collector exclaimed, looking over at his right-hand man. "It went well, then."

Frank nodded, before observing in a gravelly voice, "You do not look OK."

"I'll be alright. So, did that Protection Relic I gave you come in handy?" the Collector inquired, leaning in closer.

Another slight nod, as the Punisher produced a small, purple artifact from his vest. "Oh, yeah. Came in real handy. You know, the Rider tried to get me with his Penance Stare. If not for this thing, I would've been toast," Frank replied, with a cruel grin.

"Hmph. Well, good for you. See what happens when you're loyal? It pays off," the Collector stated. "Now, I'm going to need that Relic back. It could save my life against this gang of... marauding Champions. You can never be too safe."

"Don't you think you're stressing out about this too much, boss?" Frank asked. "You know, Murdock and I can always hunt them down for you. After the Ghost Rider, and with this..." - he admired the Relic in his hand, from different angles - "it should be easy."

"No, no, Castle. I need you and Murdock elsewhere," the Collector answered, looking over at his meticulously planned board. "I need you two elsewhere. Besides, I've already got plans for those Champions right now. They're about to have quite the... quite the Nightmare."
    Tomorrow - the first of my many musical numbers! Hope this answers one of the questions that came up last time, and hope you get the reference... Thanks for reading everyone!
    i cannot wait for the music lol.
    Protection Relic, okay.
    Any plans for the rest of the groups to find out about Johnny and Tony?

i cannot wait for the music lol.
    Protection Relic, okay.
    Any plans for the rest of the groups to find out about Johnny and Tony?

I'm excited that you're excited! And yes, there are definitely plans. We'll see when the group finally meets up.
  • MathgeekMathgeek Posts: 609 ★★★
    I can't wait for the music!
    In the beginning, there was only one. A single black abyss. Then, the light shines upon the abyss, and darkness is vanquished by a blinding white. Many, many blinding whites - spotlights, shining upon some unseen stage. Then, into the light, steps three Adaptoids. They take a deep breath, and then, as a brass opening sounds, begin to sing.

Silverman, Silverman!
    Saves time in a bottled-up can.
    Warns his dad, 'bout whiplash,
    Runs a race, just like Flash.
    Look out! Here comes the Silverman!

Is he quick? He's running!
    Bet'cha didn't see that coming.
    Can he be trapped alone?
    Look into the Midnight Zone,
    Hey there, there goes the Silverman!

As his friends do right,
    And make plans for good crimes,
    Like a streak of light
    He arrives out of time

Silverman, Silverman
    "Sweet Dreams" listening Silverman
    Power, fame, he's ignored
    Prison is his reward
    To him, life is a hidden myst'ry
    Soon he'll just be some hist'ry,
    Here comes quick-Silverman!

The light fades, and finally a familiar face appears - Coulson, looking out into the darkness. The spotlight falls on him. He can't say how he got here, or where he is, but he does know one thing. He has to sing.

Agent Philip J. Coulson.
    My name is Agent Philip J. Coulson.
    And there's a million lives I haven't saved.
    But just you wait, just you... wait?

Suddenly, Tony Stark appears, out of nowhere, good as new, as if he hadn't just been shot to death. And he, too, sings -

In twenty-twelve, Avengers split, full of it, hate-ridden,
    Two scenes later, see Philip and god Loki, blade hidden,
    Stabbed dead, sitting in his own blood,
    One less stud.

As Coulson looks around in confusion, a chorus of disembodied voices sings:

Avengers got better but Phil Coulson went quick.

Then, another spotlight appears - it's Nick Fury, his face as stern as ever.

Saved him with T.A.H.I.T.I, Tahiti was a place magical,
    Left him with a team tactical, his tale tragical,
    Years of fighting, "Philip, you gotta live for yourself."
    He was abducted and instructed by the Collector himself.

"Wait. Director Fury! Mr. Stark!" Coulson called, breaking up the song. In an instant, the spotlights fade - Fury and Stark both vanish, into the abyss, leaving Coulson looking around frantically. Then, another light falls from the sky, illuminating the familiar face of Quake, and yet again, Coulson sings:

Daisy, you outshine the morning sun, my-

And, yet again, he stops, staring blankly into the distance. With a confused expression and a raised eyebrow, Quake looks back at him - "Coulson?"

"This isn't right. We shouldn't be here. Where are we?" Coulson asked urgently, though he knew he'd get no answers.

Then, the Groots came.
    Hope you enjoyed this first bit of the musical episode, and stay tuned for more - Thanks for reading, everyone.

(Also I probably counted at least two lines' syllables wrong. Sorry about that when the error is, inevitably, spotted. Still trying to get the hang of this.)

In the beginning, there was only one. A single black abyss. Then, the light shines upon the abyss, and darkness is vanquished by a blinding white. Many, many blinding whites - spotlights, shining upon some unseen stage. Then, into the light, steps three Adaptoids. They take a deep breath, and then, as a brass opening sounds, begin to sing.

Silverman, Silverman!
    Saves time in a bottled-up can.
    Warns his dad, 'bout whiplash,
    Runs a race, just like Flash.
    Look out! Here comes the Silverman!

Is he quick? He's running!
    Bet'cha didn't see that coming.
    Can he be trapped alone?
    Look into the Midnight Zone,
    Hey there, there goes the Silverman!

As his friends do right,
    And make plans for good crimes,
    Like a streak of light
    He arrives out of time

Silverman, Silverman
    "Sweet Dreams" listening Silverman
    Power, fame, he's ignored
    Prison is his reward
    To him, life is a hidden myst'ry
    Soon he'll just be some hist'ry,
    Here comes quick-Silverman!

The light fades, and finally a familiar face appears - Coulson, looking out into the darkness. The spotlight falls on him. He can't say how he got here, or where he is, but he does know one thing. He has to sing.

Agent Philip J. Coulson.
    My name is Agent Philip J. Coulson.
    And there's a million lives I haven't saved.
    But just you wait, just you... wait?

Suddenly, Tony Stark appears, out of nowhere, good as new, as if he hadn't just been shot to death. And he, too, sings -

In twenty-twelve, Avengers split, full of it, hate-ridden,
    Two scenes later, see Philip and god Loki, blade hidden,
    Stabbed dead, sitting in his own blood,
    One less stud.

As Coulson looks around in confusion, a chorus of disembodied voices sings:

Avengers got better but Phil Coulson went quick.

Then, another spotlight appears - it's Nick Fury, his face as stern as ever.

Saved him with T.A.H.I.T.I, Tahiti was a place magical,
    Left him with a team tactical, his tale tragical,
    Years of fighting, "Philip, you gotta live for yourself."
    He was abducted and instructed by the Collector himself.

"Wait. Director Fury! Mr. Stark!" Coulson called, breaking up the song. In an instant, the spotlights fade - Fury and Stark both vanish, into the abyss, leaving Coulson looking around frantically. Then, another light falls from the sky, illuminating the familiar face of Quake, and yet again, Coulson sings:

Daisy, you outshine the morning sun, my-

And, yet again, he stops, staring blankly into the distance. With a confused expression and a raised eyebrow, Quake looks back at him - "Coulson?"

"This isn't right. We shouldn't be here. Where are we?" Coulson asked urgently, though he knew he'd get no answers.

Then, the Groots came.
    Hope you enjoyed this first bit of the musical episode, and stay tuned for more - Thanks for reading, everyone.

(Also I probably counted at least two lines' syllables wrong. Sorry about that when the error is, inevitably, spotted. Still trying to get the hang of this.)

the Groots! yes!

that classic Spider-Man theme is a banger.

HAMILTON! Thank you!

don’t ask me about the third line, i could never tell you. (i have an idea but i think it’s wrong). I love this so so much. So funny. Nightmare, you are a legend.

the Groots! yes!

HAMILTON! Thank you!

don’t ask me about the third line, i could never tell you. (i have an idea but i think it’s wrong). I love this so so much. So funny. Nightmare, you are a legend.

I'm so glad that you enjoyed it! I kind of just made up whatever that fit the syllables, good to know it (mostly) worked out.

the Groots! yes!

HAMILTON! Thank you!

I'm so glad that you enjoyed it! I kind of just made up whatever that fit the syllables, good to know it (mostly) worked out.
    the Hamilton part slapped so hard mate
    Three different Groots, but all distinctly Groot, arrive in the spotlight, facing Coulson and Quake. They begin a heavenly (Groot-enly?) chorus.

I am Groot.
    I am Groot.
    I am Groot.
    I am Groot.
    I am Groot?
    I am Groot!
    I am Groot.
    I am Groot.
    I am Groot!!

The first Groot turns to the second, and points accusingly.

I am Groot.
    I am Groot??
    I am Groot.
    I am Groot.
    I am Groot!

The three Groots fight Grootly.

I am Groot!
    I am Groot!
    I am Groot?
    I am Groot!!
    I am Groot.
    I am Groot.
    I am Groot!

Groot groots Groot groot.

I am Groot.
    I am Groot!!
    I am Groot!!
    I am Groot.
    I... am... Groot.

Groot dies. The other two Groots turn to each other, and their expressions of anger melt into sadness.

I am Groot.
    I am Groot.
    I am Groot!
    I am Groot.
    We... are... Groot.

With that last, poignant word, the remaining Groots walk into darkness, and the spotlight before them fades, leaving Coulson and Quake staring out into nothingness, still just as confused as before. "What was that?" Quake asked, turning to her fellow SHIELD Agent.

"I have no idea," Coulson replied, raising his gun defensively and circling around. "We've got to-"

Then, suddenly, the darkness vanishes, and the two of them find themselves in what seems to be downtown New York. Amidst a cacophony of car horns and screams, the two Agents look up, and see a giant, purple being, reaching down and storming through the streets, as disembodied voices cry:

Ga! Lac! Tus!
    Ga! Lac! Tus!

With a hunger-filled grimace and a terrible sound
    He pulls the rising high Baxter building down

The being topples a large building, debris raining down on New York, before turning his attention to a familiar tower with an A adorning the exterior.

Helpless 'vengers on their own tower
    Scream, bug-eyed, as he looks down on them

Quake reaches out towards the hulking figure raging through the streets, but no earthquake pulse comes - Coulson calls out to her, "He's getting closer! Let's go!" and runs off through the streets, away from the figure, just like everyone else.

He consumes a world and he leaves nothing 'round
    As he wades through the galaxy, a truth we expound

Running through the streets, Coulson stops to fire a couple of shots at the mammoth figure, but they have no effect, as debris continues to fall on the streets, getting closer and closer to Coulson and Quake.

Oh, no, they say they've lost their mirth
    Go! Go! Galactus, yeah
    Oh, no, he's eating all Earth
    Go! Go! Galactus, yeah

The giant takes a deep breath, and the buildings around them begin to shimmer and shake. The ground beneath them begins to crumble and fracture apart, and suddenly things begin to vanish, sucked into the terrifying titan, absorbed to satiate his mighty hunger. Uncertain, Coulson hesitates for a moment, as Quake shouts, "Coulson! What are you doing?"

"This isn't real. It can't be real," Coulson replies, his expression one of total disbelief, turning to Quake. "The Groots, the singing... something's going on. It's not real."

"Well, it sure seems real to me!" Quake cries back, as the ground they're on breaks apart and flies towards the gigantic figure.

Comic books show again and again
    How retcons point out the folly of man
    Galactus!

As Quake turns to run, trying to escape the impending tidal wave of debris, Coulson holds her back. "Wait. Maybe, if we let it do what it wants to do..." he theorizes, lowering his gun. "It'll take us somewhere else. Somewhere where we can figure out what's going on."

"Are you sure?" Quake asks. "Because that giant monster looks like it's going to kill us all any second now."

"I'm sure," Coulson affirms, nodding, and allowing the giant to pull them and the debris they're on towards it. Everything vanishes in a flash of white light, and then, again, all is dark.

Galactus!
    Oh, man, that was exhausting. I don't know why, the first part was literally minimal effort, ha, but this is harder than it looks. Once this musical series wraps up, I'm going to need a break. But there are still at least two more musical numbers to get through, and probably more! Hope you enjoyed it, as always!

Three different Groots, but all distinctly Groot, arrive in the spotlight, facing Coulson and Quake. They begin a heavenly (Groot-enly?) chorus.

I am Groot.
    I am Groot.
    I am Groot.
    I am Groot.
    I am Groot?
    I am Groot!
    I am Groot.
    I am Groot.
    I am Groot!!

The first Groot turns to the second, and points accusingly.

I am Groot.
    I am Groot??
    I am Groot.
    I am Groot.
    I am Groot!

The three Groots fight Grootly.

I am Groot!
    I am Groot!
    I am Groot?
    I am Groot!!
    I am Groot.
    I am Groot.
    I am Groot!

Groot groots Groot groot.

I am Groot.
    I am Groot!!
    I am Groot!!
    I am Groot.
    I... am... Groot.

Groot dies. The other two Groots turn to each other, and their expressions of anger melt into sadness.

I am Groot.
    I am Groot.
    I am Groot!
    I am Groot.
    We... are... Groot.

With that last, poignant word, the remaining Groots walk into darkness, and the spotlight before them fades, leaving Coulson and Quake staring out into nothingness, still just as confused as before. "What was that?" Quake asked, turning to her fellow SHIELD Agent.

"I have no idea," Coulson replied, raising his gun defensively and circling around. "We've got to-"

Then, suddenly, the darkness vanishes, and the two of them find themselves in what seems to be downtown New York. Amidst a cacophony of car horns and screams, the two Agents look up, and see a giant, purple being, reaching down and storming through the streets, as disembodied voices cry:

Ga! Lac! Tus!
    Ga! Lac! Tus!

With a hunger-filled grimace and a terrible sound
    He pulls the rising high Baxter building down

The being topples a large building, debris raining down on New York, before turning his attention to a familiar tower with an A adorning the exterior.

Helpless 'vengers on their own tower
    Scream, bug-eyed, as he looks down on them

Quake reaches out towards the hulking figure raging through the streets, but no earthquake pulse comes - Coulson calls out to her, "He's getting closer! Let's go!" and runs off through the streets, away from the figure, just like everyone else.

He consumes a world and he leaves nothing 'round
    As he wades through the galaxy, a truth we expound

Running through the streets, Coulson stops to fire a couple of shots at the mammoth figure, but they have no effect, as debris continues to fall on the streets, getting closer and closer to Coulson and Quake.

Oh, no, they say they've lost their mirth
    Go! Go! Galactus, yeah
    Oh, no, he's eating all Earth
    Go! Go! Galactus, yeah

The giant takes a deep breath, and the buildings around them begin to shimmer and shake. The ground beneath them begins to crumble and fracture apart, and suddenly things begin to vanish, sucked into the terrifying titan, absorbed to satiate his mighty hunger. Uncertain, Coulson hesitates for a moment, as Quake shouts, "Coulson! What are you doing?"

"This isn't real. It can't be real," Coulson replies, his expression one of total disbelief, turning to Quake. "The Groots, the singing... something's going on. It's not real."

"Well, it sure seems real to me!" Quake cries back, as the ground they're on breaks apart and flies towards the gigantic figure.

Galactus!

As Quake turns to run, trying to escape the impending tidal wave of debris, Coulson holds her back. "Wait. Maybe, if we let it do what it wants to do..." he theorizes, lowering his gun. "It'll take us somewhere else. Somewhere where we can figure out what's going on."

"Are you sure?" Quake asks. "Because that giant monster looks like it's going to kill us all any second now."

"I'm sure," Coulson affirms, nodding, and allowing the giant to pull them and the debris they're on towards it. Everything vanishes in a flash of white light, and then, again, all is dark.

Galactus!
    Oh, man, that was exhausting. I don't know why, the first part was literally minimal effort, ha, but this is harder than it looks. Once this musical series wraps up, I'm going to need a break. But there are still at least two more musical numbers to get through, and probably more! Hope you enjoyed it, as always!

only thing Galactus made me think of was Pokémon for some reason. I’m very confused

only thing Galactus made me think of was Pokémon for some reason. I’m very confused

Sorry, I just realized that Godzilla and Galactus both had the same amount of syllables, so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOO8Um_jmLI

Sorry, I just realized that Godzilla and Galactus both had the same amount of syllables, so...

oh. Godzilla v Galactus, anyone?

oh. Godzilla v Galactus, anyone?
    I'd watch that! :smile:
    To my very good friends,

I am afraid that I owe you all an apology. I do not feel that I can continue Storytime for the time being at the standards which I hold all (well, except that one Holiday Special... so, let's say, 99%) of my work to. I believe that it is evident, if not starkly apparent, in my recent installments that I have begun to feel a bit burnt out and tired of this tale, especially since my own writing is now entering a new, exciting stage that captivates me deeply.

As a result, though my interest in the adventures of Warren, Quentin, Coulson, Gwen, Thaddeus, and their companions still remains, I am going to have to place Storytime on a hiatus. In the words of a much greater writer than myself, "I need a holiday" - at least from Storytime - "A very long holiday. And I don't expect I shall ever return"... not anytime, soon at least.

I know you may wonder when I shall return, and, in truth, I myself do not know. It could be weeks, months from now. It could perhaps even be tomorrow (although, I confess, the likelihood is next to zero). Rest assured I will return at some point in time to finish what I have started, but for the foreseeable future I do not believe that I will produce any new installments.

I hold it very dear to my heart that what once started as a random idea and a twinkle in my mind's eye has been allowed to grow and continue for almost three arcs. As I have said before, it gives me great hope for that far-away day when my own book will be finished and released. Perhaps I am Ikarus, flying too close to a fool's dream, and yet who can say they have had this much fun creating a side-story, a hobby within a hobby? I am and will always be grateful to those of you that read Storytime, week after week. The story was what got me started here, but I think, truly, it is you readers who have kept me going so long.

While I take the time to focus on my own writing, I urge you to make something of your own - just as my stories, and this story, came from a place of love and passion for writing, I would encourage each of you to follow your own desires. Stories, perhaps, but also art, videos, even music - there are many possibilities for creativity within the Contest. But do not feel obligated to create; rather, make something because you want to, because something inside you, some dream, some purpose, begs to be fulfilled by your creativity. And if any of you choose to make anything of that sort, I would love to see it, whatever it is.

In short, I want to thank each and every one of you for being here so long. It may be a long time before we meet again in Storytime, and I hope you will find it in your hearts to forgive this break (and the overdramatic nature of this letter, I feel really dramatic today for some indiscernible reason). Until next time, as another creator far greater than myself would say:

Excelsior!

To my very good friends,

I am afraid that I owe you all an apology. I do not feel that I can continue Storytime for the time being at the standards which I hold all (well, except that one Holiday Special... so, let's say, 99%) of my work to. I believe that it is evident, if not starkly apparent, in my recent installments that I have begun to feel a bit burnt out and tired of this tale, especially since my own writing is now entering a new, exciting stage that captivates me deeply.

As a result, though my interest in the adventures of Warren, Quentin, Coulson, Gwen, Thaddeus, and their companions still remains, I am going to have to place Storytime on a hiatus. In the words of a much greater writer than myself, "I need a holiday" - at least from Storytime - "A very long holiday. And I don't expect I shall ever return"... not anytime, soon at least.

I know you may wonder when I shall return, and, in truth, I myself do not know. It could be weeks, months from now. It could perhaps even be tomorrow (although, I confess, the likelihood is next to zero). Rest assured I will return at some point in time to finish what I have started, but for the foreseeable future I do not believe that I will produce any new installments.

I hold it very dear to my heart that what once started as a random idea and a twinkle in my mind's eye has been allowed to grow and continue for almost three arcs. As I have said before, it gives me great hope for that far-away day when my own book will be finished and released. Perhaps I am Ikarus, flying too close to a fool's dream, and yet who can say they have had this much fun creating a side-story, a hobby within a hobby? I am and will always be grateful to those of you that read Storytime, week after week. The story was what got me started here, but I think, truly, it is you readers who have kept me going so long.

While I take the time to focus on my own writing, I urge you to make something of your own - just as my stories, and this story, came from a place of love and passion for writing, I would encourage each of you to follow your own desires. Stories, perhaps, but also art, videos, even music - there are many possibilities for creativity within the Contest. But do not feel obligated to create; rather, make something because you want to, because something inside you, some dream, some purpose, begs to be fulfilled by your creativity. And if any of you choose to make anything of that sort, I would love to see it, whatever it is.

In short, I want to thank each and every one of you for being here so long. It may be a long time before we meet again in Storytime, and I hope you will find it in your hearts to forgive this break (and the overdramatic nature of this letter, I feel really dramatic today for some indiscernible reason). Until next time, as another creator far greater than myself would say:

Excelsior!

Thanks! Every single thing you’ve put out on these multiple threads has been a joy to read, ive absolutely loved it.

Sincerely hope your actual writing project goes well, and don’t forget to come back and tell us the title so we can buy your book!

As for if this ever comes back, I’ll be here when it does. Thanks again for providing some entertainment on these forums, and i will miss these terribly. Good luck, and live long and prosper.