**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Summoner Showdown 2020 - Should masteries be free specifically for this?

WoozieWoozie Posts: 479 ★★
I just want to start by saying this is an awesome idea which I'm really looking forward to.

I think the 4 Star requirement is a great way to create a level playing field and evens things out for many. However, what about masteries? Given they cost hundreds of units for a switch up or two, whales could potentially keep changing their masteries to max suicides and figure out the best combos to get the quickest kill.

What are your thoughts? Am I being silly, as it should be an individual's advantage to try new set ups for the boss; or - should they be free specifically for the Showdown to allow players to experiment with new masteries?

Summoner Showdown 2020 - Should masteries be free specifically for this? 79 votes

Yes - Masteries to be free for the Showdown will create an even more fair system
46%
Whiskey_PoetFrostyDarkrider05WerewrymMaster3418AgentDoom9rcm2017ShafeeqShrimpRLegendboy2411WRIRAleorSeenkPrcekKk25Dwhalen8554UvoginHCMmcocMauledJMKeynesRenaxqq 37 votes
No - Unit costs should remain in place
53%
GamerBendyLeNoirFaineantAakashxNigBrightfireHDbm3eppsSamuel030sOdachiMonk1MrTicTac19992008Thunderstruck77CupidHeattblasttScopeotoe987ThedancingkidGhostboytjieMaldroit2Notsavage19Djin 42 votes

Comments

• LordSmasherLordSmasher Posts: 1,361 ★★★★★
    As only 3 people from each region go thru to the semis I'm pretty sure skill and having the right 4star heroes is going to the main factor. I know I'm not ranking a guy up just for this.
  • No - Unit costs should remain in place
    No, this is a showdown for the best of the best. That means they have the resources and skills for it and put in the time and effort to get those resources and skills
  • MasterpuffMasterpuff Posts: 6,466 ★★★★★

No, this is a showdown for the best of the best. That means they have the resources and skills for it and put in the time and effort to get those resources and skills

If you’re competing in the competition, you can do arena to get the units if you don’t already have them.
  • lowlevelplayerlowlevelplayer Posts: 4,292 ★★★★★
    Yes - Masteries to be free for the Showdown will create an even more fair system
    why not? It won't hurt anyone
  • IshIsh Posts: 10
    edited July 2020
    I agree with your concern about mastery set ups, and i think they should NOT apply to this competition to even the playing field. When they do the competitions the only thing going to that boss fight is the champ chosen. That’s how you will determine the best skilled summoner!
    @Kabam Miike do you have any info in regards to masteries for this competition? Is that something the kabam team has considered?
  • MasterpuffMasterpuff Posts: 6,466 ★★★★★

People will abuse this to grind out abyss runs, Act 6 Runs, and much more. It wouldn’t be game breaking, but it would give others an advantage in some content while others competed.
  • Thanks_D19Thanks_D19 Posts: 1,480 ★★★★
    I mean you can’t really win unless you have full scuicides
  • WoozieWoozie Posts: 479 ★★

People will abuse this to grind out abyss runs, Act 6 Runs, and much more. It wouldn’t be game breaking, but it would give others an advantage in some content while others competed.
    I agree that it would be abused - that's why I was saying specifically for this. Although I'm not sure if they have the tech to change masteries in a specific bit of the content (being the Showdown) and limit it to this part of the game.
  • lowlevelplayerlowlevelplayer Posts: 4,292 ★★★★★
    how about they invite all the qualifiers/semi-finalists/finalists into a CCP beta type program just for the competition.
  • bm3eppsbm3epps Posts: 1,148 ★★★

i mean really anyone that has the ability to be one of the top 3 of their region will have suicides.
    i mean how many people here legit theink they have what it takes to compete with the likes of Sweedah and don't have suicides already?
    lets be real.... the vast majority of us have no chance of making it through regardless.
    the top 3 of your region...
    the top 9 mcoc players....
    out of millions.... do you really think you are gunna get there regardless of if you can choose masteries or not????

agreed.. just hope we can get few rewards by even competing
  • Monk1Monk1 Posts: 745 ★★★★
    A bigger issue is the 4* champ requirement. I have not ranked a 4* past r3 in over 2 years... why do I want to start wasting cats in 4* champs when have them all a 5/6* level.

It takes 8 t5b to go to r5 4*... what a complete waste of resources
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    Monk1 said:

A bigger issue is the 4* champ requirement. I have not ranked a 4* past r3 in over 2 years... why do I want to start wasting cats in 4* champs when have them all a 5/6* level.

It takes 8 t5b to go to r5 4*... what a complete waste of resources

This is a non issue. If they went with 5*s and 6*s the issue of who has the most recent champs would be far larger. You don't need to rank 20 4*s to compete and some of the old gods like SW may be viable. If you think you have the skill to do it rank a couple 4*s. If you don't, don't act like it's an issue.
  • OdachiOdachi Posts: 1,069 ★★★★
    It’s just for fun, enjoy it instead of begging. What about those who haven’t unlocked suicides, should they get them unlocked for free?

No one would abuse it for abyss tho, I think if you saved for that you can afford 50 units. I would however, like many, make a tanky setup for aw defence.
  • BendyBendy Posts: 3,379 ★★★★★
    edited July 2020
    Most likely it be with boosts not allowed to be used as its just like there competition they use standard setup for the event
  • AleorAleor Posts: 3,054 ★★★★★
    edited July 2020

i mean really anyone that has the ability to be one of the top 3 of their region will have suicides.
    i mean how many people here legit theink they have what it takes to compete with the likes of Sweedah and don't have suicides already?
    lets be real.... the vast majority of us have no chance of making it through regardless.
    out of millions.... do you really think you are gunna get there regardless of if you can choose masteries or not????

It should be about skill, I believe? Not everybody want or can buy/grind ton of arena only to unlock suicides. Also without suicides your fights take longer, so you'd have more practice.
  • hawk34hawk34 Posts: 41
    Aleor said:

It should be about skill, I believe? Not everybody want or can buy/grind ton of arena only to unlock suicides. Also without suicides your fights take longer, so you'd have more practice.
    Seeing how there's a cav and level 60 cap for the ranked event, any player participating almost definitely has or can get suicides.
    Imo skill in this game also includes your technical knowledge (knowing the best counters for champs or masteries that complement the counter) rather than just how good you fight...
  • Whiskey_PoetWhiskey_Poet Posts: 238 ★★
    Suicides cost thousands of units to unlock. Maybe I should have to spend that to have a chance to compete, but, at the same time, it seems nore limiting than thebspirit of the event. *shrug*
  • MauledMauled Posts: 3,957 Guardian

It’s a poor argument that you had it bad so others should too. Oh TV was black and white in my day so I’m going to block colour so that you know what it was like for me. It creates stagnation.

They should be free to switch anyway.