Abyss of Legends 100% Review: The Good and The Bad

KingKevin8KingKevin8 Member Posts: 114 ★★
Overall, the abyss was enjoyable at times, but at most times I hated it. Rewards are worth it, but it is very expensive, and very long. The only reason I think it was received so well is because the rewards were sooo insane at the time. There were almost no t5cc in the game when abyss came out, and abyss gave 3 full T5CC so everyone was really excited. Below I outline things I enjoyed about the abyss, and things I disliked.

The Good

1. Rewards: The rewards for abyss are very good and worth the time and units it takes. The rewards have almost guaranteed value and there is a very little chance you can get nothing you need. Total of 3 T5CC, the INSANE abyss nexus 6*, tons of 6*, sig stones, etc.
P.S. Still think we should get the nexus selector in the mail like the people who did it early did. This can let us see which t5cc we get and choose a class based on that. I would have chose differently :neutral:

2. Diversity: I like how it takes more than 1 champion to explore. Labyrinth can be done with just aegon or ghost and the rest of the champions on your team will just be synergy partners but abyss requires almost all 5 champion for each path. Also, the paths take lots of planning which I enjoy. Furthermore, for a lot of paths, you need to make sacrifices. For example, for path 5 I needed to sacrifice Corvus (who would work really well for massacre) or sacrifice void (who would work really well for ghulk). Planning for things like this is very enjoyable for me.

3. Skill Based Fights: Some fights like Cyclops, and Darkhawk were enjoyable because they were difficult but fun when you get the hang of them. There are some very unique fights that are fun and rewards skill instead of rewarding the fattest wallet.

4. Attack Values: The attack values are not very high, unlike act 6. I believe they are around 4k for each champion. You can play full fights with parrying (no intercepting) and won't die of block damage. Punisher 2099 is the only fight where I felt the block damage making it a pretty annoying fight.

The Bad

1. Skirmish Charges: This is the single most worst thing about the abyss and is the worst design I have ever seen in a game. The skirmish charges make it IMPOSSIBLE to do the abyss without spending, no matter what champions you bring or how good you are. This is the first time I have ever seen a game being allowed to introduce content that can not be done without spending. What were they thinking? And I know the excuse they have, "this content isn't made to be finished yet and when champions get higher rank, they can solo the content" which is honestly such a bad excuse. If it is not ready to be done, DO NOT PUT IT OUT. This is so irritating because skill does not matter at all, just the size of your wallet. And if you want to 100% the abyss, be prepared to bring your wallet.
P.S. I did not hate the 6.2 Champion fight pre-nerf because although it was extremely difficult, as long as you were skilled enough, you could do it without spending which rewards skill. Completely different here as it is IMPOSSIBLE. If anyone knows another game that cannot be beat without spending please comment below. I honestly want to know. The worst part is this content is being applauded by all the youtubers and pretty much the whole community. HOW? Good rewards don't make up for horrible design.

*Bolded this entire section because I believe this is the most important point about this review*

2. Duplicate Fights: Doing the same fight on different paths is fine but putting multiple of the same fight is just lazy. There are multiple IMIW, Havok, Korg, Killmonger, Mordo, Sinister, Thing, Darkhawk, etc. These are annoying and boring.
P.S. Please notice this IS NOT a complaint about doing the same fight multiple times. For example there is only 1 Red Skull but you have to fight him 3 times which is fine but the champions listed above are present in different spots multiple times.

3. Path Rewards: Doing path 2-4 is pretty difficult to get motivated for because the rewards are pretty bad. In my opinion, the 50k 6* shards given from completion and exploration should be added to the path reward gift so you get 10k 6* shards each path. This will really give a lot of people more of an incentive to explore abyss.

4. Honourable Mentions:
Damage Cap: Just why? Limits options like Proxima, sunspot, etc. who would not be overpowered but could be options
Path Length: Very long paths, 4/5 paths took me 2 days to finish

My Teams:

*All champions are 5* r5, or 6* r2 if not otherwise stated*
Path 1: Aegon, Doom, Void (r4, didn't have torch at the time), Nick Fury (only had 4* at the time, for synergy), Proxima (3* for synergy)
Path 2: Aegon, Doom, Torch, Fury, Heimdal (r3 for synergy)
Path 3: Aegon, Doom, Torch, Stealth Spiderman, Warlock
Path 4: Aegon, Doom, Torch, Nick Fury, Corvus
Path 5: Aegon, Doom, Torch, Nick Fury, Void

Favourite Fight: Yellowjacket/Karnak (Obviously I'm not including the super easy fights to solo like Mephisto, bishop, cull etc.)
Worst Fight: GHulk (this fight was HELL on path 4 when I didn't bring void) and Thor Ragnarak

Here are my rewards!
https://youtu.be/80lTo12QNXs

If you need help planning or have any questions, please feel free to message my on line. I can explain any fight you guys need help on and try my best to suggest optimal teams. My line id is kingkevin8

Thanks for reading my post!

Comments

• danielmathdanielmath Member Posts: 4,083 ★★★★★
    i don't agree about the damage cap part, someone like proxima would be able to easily solo most fights with a couple of missions
  • DeaconDeacon Member Posts: 4,249 ★★★★★
    i would love to dive into the Abyss but i just don't have the coins for it or the grind patience.
  • ReferenceReference Member Posts: 2,901 ★★★★★
    I save this post for future reference. Awesome job! Congrats!
  • Lvernon15Lvernon15 Member Posts: 11,598 ★★★★★

i don't agree about the damage cap part, someone like proxima would be able to easily solo most fights with a couple of missions

I’d like to see a more lenient cap though so she at least has some viability, but yeah, I agree that 1 million damage sp3s would make it a bit easy
  • TheD00MTheD00M Member Posts: 17
    As soon as I reach R4 on my Void & Human Tourch and R5 on Nick I'll jump into Abyss for the 1st run :) Should be really soon.
  • KingKevin8KingKevin8 Member Posts: 114 ★★
    I guess proxima might be a little OP without a damage cap. In that case, I think they should have made the damage cap for special attacks around 350k and kept basic attacks at 85k. This way proxima could be good but not OP. You get 225 charges in the abyss but at least 100 would be used for ramp up. Then it takes about 35-40 hits to reach L3 so she would only be able to fire 3-4 specials per revive. That would allows her to deal ~1.3 - 1.8M damage per revive. Makes her useable but still not as much damage as top options like aegon and sabretooth. (Aegon fully ramped can do over 2M damage per revive) It would also allow champs like sunspot and Namor to be better options too.
  • pseudosanepseudosane Member, Guardian Posts: 3,958 Guardian
    @KingKevin8 Good writeup. I did path4 yesterday without Torch (with void). WHile gulk would suck with torch, ALl the other fights really sucked with void. My fingers cannot forget the sym fight, that was torture. Glad i will never fight those again.

@KingKevin8 Good writeup. I did path4 yesterday without Torch (with void). WHile gulk would suck with torch, ALl the other fights really sucked with void. My fingers cannot forget the sym fight, that was torture. Glad i will never fight those again.

@pseudosane if you still have to do path 5, both those fights are there :( I would strongly suggest removing precision mastery for sym fight tho. Will probably make it a little easier

@pseudosane if you still have to do path 5, both those fights are there :( I would strongly suggest removing precision mastery for sym fight tho. Will probably make it a little easier
    I finished path5.
    I did remove precision mastery as well.

I only have path2 left now.

I finished path5.

Nice!! That path isn’t too bad
  • GreekhitGreekhit Member Posts: 2,820 ★★★★★

What’s the point of Proxima as a champion then, since there are these damage caps?
    She is currently the best useless champ in the game.
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Member Posts: 8,672 ★★★★★
    Greekhit said:

What’s the point of Proxima as a champion then, since there are these damage caps?
    She is currently the best useless champ in the game.
    Exactly. She is potentially great without anywhere to use that potential.

I finished path5.

Nice!! That path isn’t too bad
    Yup. I have no Torch though. Waiting zzzzzz
  • This content has been removed.
  • lowlevelplayerlowlevelplayer Member Posts: 4,292 ★★★★★
    congrats!
    I personally would've went for magneto

congrats!
    I personally would've went for magneto

I considered him, but I went for namor because of the prestige and he's one of the few champs where sig stones don't feel wasted. I think magneto doesn't really need sig ability so 199 sig stones for prestige would have felt like a big waste.
  • Heisenberg750Heisenberg750 Member Posts: 97
    There is no fun in this game at any part now a days and u repeatedly mentioned fun and enjoyable lol