**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Why can't I play as characters I like

asismanasisman Posts: 16
edited September 2020 in General Discussion
I feel like this game is flawed because it was built upon a flawed base. The game is built around bringing in stronger champions as time progressed, but this is where the inherent issues lie. If you are making a Marvel game, you bring in the most popular characters first. Because of this, most characters that were used to draw players into the game (and still do) are some of the worst characters in it. Iron Fist, for example, was one of the core characters added to the game around launch. He's basically been untouched for years and still has the cookie cutter animations, abilities, and special attacks that were present at launch. He even has OG Black Panther's idle animation for god's sake. He's one of my favorite Marvel characters and is left in the dust. I feel like Kabam has no interest in rebooting these original characters from a business standpoint - it wouldn't be profitable and it shows in that only two characters are being buffed each month. It could be years before he even gets looked at. As a player who has had this game since practically launch, it pains me to see characters like Iron Fist be left to dry when you compare him to the newer characters with awesome abilities and animations. I hate playing him and seeing Black Panther's animations, Vision and Black Widow's special attacks, and abilities that are one sentence long or less. It is a shame. Players shouldn't be forced into hoping for a Dr. Doom or Quake to play any content besides Arena, but when you combine super specific nodes and fun and interactive damage, characters that were in the base game get absolutely obliterated and thus become objects of dread once you pull them. You shouldn't be disappointed to see your favorite character pop out of a crystal, but Kabam manages to invoke that feeling of disappointment anyways - because in the grand scale of things, the champion will likely be useless for years to come. I have a dream that one day I can play with characters that I like not because they are broken OP but because I like them for who they are. But until that day comes I will cheese all the content in this game with Ghost and Quake. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Comments

• asismanasisman Posts: 16
    Here is a list of characters that are more recognizable than most Demi-god tier to Beyond God Tier champions but are absolutely unusable when compared to most other champs: Ant Man, Beast, Black Panther, Black Panther Civil War, Black Widow, Captain America, Captain America WWII, Cyclops (Blue Team), Cyclops (New Xavier School), Daredevil (Classic), Daredevil, Doctor Strange, Drax, Gamora, Green Goblin, Groot, Hawkeye, Hulk, Iron Fist, Juggernaut, Loki, MODOK, Ms Marvel (Kamala Khan), Nightcrawler, Nova, Punisher, Rhino, Rocket Raccoon, Rogue, Spiderman (Classic), Spiderman (Miles Morales), Spiderman (Symbiote), Starlord, Storm, Thanos, Thor, Ultron, Vulture, War Machine, Winter Soldier, Wolverine.

If you disagree, then ask yourself: Do you use these characters for anything besides synergies or arena? And if you say you do, I'll say why you're still stuck in Act 4. There's like 20 champs maximum that define the meta of the game that are used in actual mid to end game content.

Also, if you factor in the two buffs per month that Kabam is doing, it will be in May 2022 that every champ in the list isn't just collecting dust in your roster.
  • Thebombsquad1Thebombsquad1 Posts: 755 ★★★
    Why would you hope for a Dr. Strange?
  • Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★
    ItsDamien said:

The fact that you put Star Lord as "unusable" outside of act 4 or arena is laughable.

Most of the champs you listed had their time in the Meta when they initially released. Here's a brief explanation of what META stands for in the majority of games. Most Efficient Tactic Available. M.E.T.A.

Nearly 6 years since the game started, and new ideas have come into the game since then, which forces new meta shifts as content and characters evolve. It's like comparing a top end PC or Mobile phone from the year 2000 to what we have coming in 2020, things get outdated drastically.

Yeah it will take a long time for all the buffs and reworks to be done, and by the time they are done with those buffs and reworks, the so called "Gods" in this current iteration of the game will also be outdated and in need of changes.

Besides a bunch of the characters listed aren't necessarily more recognisable or even well liked as some of the characters that have been introduced.

When things get old you shouldn't expect them to be as good as they were when they were new.

I actually didn't know that meta was an acronym. the more you know.

and op, I think that's far from a flawed design. that's just how the game evolves. slowly, there will be a bit of power creep as the devs become more creative and have more technology. along with that, the most endgame content will be tuned towards those champs. kabam have realized that some champs have been left in the dust for a long time, and they're beginning to fix it. could it have been done sooner? probably. but it's happening now and a faster rate than ever before. not only are the worst champions being buffed, content is being changed so you no longer need 3% of the entire champion pool to complete something
    Maybe I overexaggerated when I said "unusable". But again, do you use Star Lord in Act 5 and beyond? The answer is usually no because at that point you have another tech champion that is far better than him. If you have a Warlock or Ghost, you will probably never run a Star Lord over them. If you have literally any of the "meta" defining characters that would be of greater use in overarching content you will not use Star Lord at all. The potential that characters can reach shouldn't be so vast between them. But if you have a Sparky, it's a no brainer you use him over Star Lord. This is what defines this game right now. Throwing champions away for ones that are unequivocally and undeniably better. It shouldn't be like that. You try to push Act 6 with a Star Lord you better be ready with a whole truckload of revives and health potions. There should be a small standard deviation of overall usability that is measured with a solid champ at the center. Champions on this scale should absolutely not be 10 standard deviations apart, but in this current day it most certainly is. If you have a god tier champion, you use the god tier champion and never touch the mediocre substitutes ever again.
  • No_Ægon_clubNo_Ægon_club Posts: 150 ★★
    It’s like Pokémon, u can play it with xyz but it’ll be A LOT harder and you’ll need to farm more resources

Idk what Pokémon has to do with anything, I was just playing It
  • The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,779 ★★★★★
    asisman said:

Maybe I overexaggerated when I said "unusable". But again, do you use Star Lord in Act 5 and beyond? The answer is usually no because at that point you have another tech champion that is far better than him. If you have a Warlock or Ghost, you will probably never run a Star Lord over them. If you have literally any of the "meta" defining characters that would be of greater use in overarching content you will not use Star Lord at all. The potential that characters can reach shouldn't be so vast between them. But if you have a Sparky, it's a no brainer you use him over Star Lord. This is what defines this game right now. Throwing champions away for ones that are unequivocally and undeniably better. It shouldn't be like that. You try to push Act 6 with a Star Lord you better be ready with a whole truckload of revives and health potions. There should be a small standard deviation of overall usability that is measured with a solid champ at the center. Champions on this scale should absolutely not be 10 standard deviations apart, but in this current day it most certainly is. If you have a god tier champion, you use the god tier champion and never touch the mediocre substitutes ever again.

What is your point ?
    You want a star lord buff next ?
    Kabam have already said that they r buffing champions. Be patient and your favorite champ will get buffed too.
    I'm just trying to say that in a Marvel game with so many beloved characters I would like to see variation. But I don't. It's Doom Doom Doom Nick Nick Nick Colossus Colossus Colossus. It's like everyone plays the same way because the game is built specifically to be played in that one way, and it sucks.
  • Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★
    asisman said:

obviously if you have a champ that's better than another, you'll use them over the inferior one most of the time. does that mean everyone should be the same power level? no. does that mean everyone who's not a beyond god tier has to be buffed? no.

why would a champ like star lord need you to use potions and revives? if you're using him for biohazard or something, sure. but there's almost always an option for those nodes. something like caustic temper with 5* restrictions is a little more niche, but that doesn't mean everyone who can't do that is immediately bad.

I don't understand the point for comparisons with god tier champs and those not as good
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,676 ★★★★★
    edited September 2020
    asisman said:

I'm just trying to say that in a Marvel game with so many beloved characters I would like to see variation. But I don't. It's Doom Doom Doom Nick Nick Nick Colossus Colossus Colossus. It's like everyone plays the same way because the game is built specifically to be played in that one way, and it sucks.

The simple answer is to ignore the meta and use whoever you want to. You'll still complete content it just might not be as easy or itemless as youd prefer.
  • The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,779 ★★★★★
    asisman said:

I think part of the problem lies in the fact that some champions are trash while others are overpowered. The only way to fix that is buff the trash champions or nerf the overpowered ones which I don't think should happen.
  • RU11011RU11011 Posts: 880 ★★★★
    Everyone who uses Ant-Man for the Quantum Trinity just got demoted to Act 4.
    asisman said:

Most people play these champs because they can handle a lot of stuff. Sure you can play as Groot in Act 6, but he's not going to help you progress past a single fight.
  • I completely agree. I just opened my first 6* today and pulled a 6* OG black panther. Istantly I was filled with regret that I even put the time in to grind for 6* shards and end up getting a pretty useless champ. I never even gonna take that guy to rank to, heck, even to max rank 1.
  • ReferenceReference Posts: 2,899 ★★★★★
    Starlord is a myths to me as I heard many players said he is a god in Act 5 but I didn’t get his 5* version even after I 100% Act 5. Same for Blade.
  • ReferenceReference Posts: 2,899 ★★★★★
    Btw I have to disagree with your comment on Iron Fist as I use him periodically in Act 6 or other content.
    https://youtu.be/RTzZn1nYj0E
  • MaxGamingMaxGaming Posts: 3,204 ★★★★★
    edited September 2020
    asisman said:

Here is a list of characters that are more recognizable than most Demi-god tier to Beyond God Tier champions but are absolutely unusable when compared to most other champs: Ant Man, Beast, Black Panther, Black Panther Civil War, Black Widow, Captain America, Captain America WWII, Cyclops (Blue Team), Cyclops (New Xavier School), Daredevil (Classic), Daredevil, Doctor Strange, Drax, Gamora, Green Goblin, Groot, Hawkeye, Hulk, Iron Fist, Juggernaut, Loki, MODOK, Ms Marvel (Kamala Khan), Nightcrawler, Nova, Punisher, Rhino, Rocket Raccoon, Rogue, Spiderman (Classic), Spiderman (Miles Morales), Spiderman (Symbiote), Starlord, Storm, Thanos, Thor, Ultron, Vulture, War Machine, Winter Soldier, Wolverine.

If you disagree, then ask yourself: Do you use these characters for anything besides synergies or arena? And if you say you do, I'll say why you're still stuck in Act 4. There's like 20 champs maximum that define the meta of the game that are used in actual mid to end game content.

Also, if you factor in the two buffs per month that Kabam is doing, it will be in May 2022 that every champ in the list isn't just collecting dust in your roster.

SL helped me beat act 4 and 5 and I still use him in EQ as he is great
  • ABOMBABOMB Posts: 564 ★★★
    Wow so many disagree..I feel the same way about many of the original champions. I came here to play my favorite character too, Captain America..hes not very good either so like Iron Fist I feel your pain bra.
    Got my boy in a 6* (Cap WW2) and I don't care how good or what peeps say or stupid tier charts for top champs. I'm max ranking him because I like him. Would be nice to see a rework of these originals tho..
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    asisman said:

SL was one of my MVPs for act 5. He could ignore the class reversal with his ramp up. SL and Magik were my best champs at the time. I do agree that he could use a tweak at this point. I totally get lamenting the current state of Iron Fist and a lot of other well know champs. Honestly I still get irritated about the Dr Strange nerf as it rendered him largely useless at the time when we were promised he was just going to be brought "closer to the pack". But I feel like Kabam has laid out a pretty ambitious plan to revisit older champs and I don't know what else they can do.
  • RapRap Posts: 3,193 ★★★★
    Don't worry! They will rework everybody right? All 300 some odd champs! The day will come when classic Captain America and Classic Ironman are useful again! Maybe by 2030!
    If you believe that then why hasn't the server issue been fixed and why haven't the various champ bug and mastery bugs been fixed.
    The game is just gonna chug along and the champs that built the house of marvel will remain pretty useless for a long time! Their answer is to release a new version ( or tacking older champs onto a newer champs synergy but i agree! We ought to be able to play the champs that we loved and followed in the comics and not have to watch them become useless inventory as we wait for someone to do a "rework."
  • Sundance_2099Sundance_2099 Posts: 2,766 ★★★★★
    I just use whoever the hell I want and I don't give AF about the meta. Granted, I haven't even touched Act 4 yet, but whatever.
  • Panchulon21Panchulon21 Posts: 2,605 ★★★★★
    Paragraphs please.
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,795 ★★★★★
    asisman said:

bro what? I use my maxed out Kamala all the time, I’ve got proof
  • Notsavage19Notsavage19 Posts: 2,817 ★★★★★
    asisman said:

"If you have a god tier champion, you use the god tier champion and never touch the mediocre substitutes ever again."
    Well, yes. That's normal. If you try out a new brand of chicken nuggets and like it more than the brand you used to buy, are you going to go back? No. You buy the new brand. There will always be better alternatives, just like there will always be mediocre substitutes.

I really don't get the point of this post. What is it that you want?