Options

A Guide Of The Killmonger Variety. From A Killmonger Player.

RockypantherxRockypantherx Posts: 3,900 ★★★★★
Since my Storm X guide went down pretty well, I thought I would take a crack at another one. And I’m excited about this one. It’s Killmonger (obviously). My second favourite champion in the game, my namesake (sort of), and one of the most underrated champions in the game.

There’s a reason I have my 6* at R3.

So let’s kick things off with his base stats. Killmonger is a chunky lad, boasting one of the higher base health pools in the game, sitting proudly at rank 18 out of the current 185. His attack and Crit damage rating is slightly below average, with a slightly above average crit rate. The real standout here is his inbuilt crit resistance, which is among the higher in the game. His block proficiency is below average.

These base stats, plus his vibranium armour and indestructible charges, make this champion extremely durable. You can get slapped about quite a bit with this guy before he kicks the bucket. Importantly, he doesn’t need to really do anything to gain his inherent tankiness. The indestructible charges come off of his SP2, but he is super tanky without them.

Speaking of his vibranium armour, let’s get into that. It provides a pretty substantial amount of armour at its base, 716 on my R3. As I already mentioned, this makes him pretty sustainable. Additionally, each time he is inflicted with any debuff, he gains 15% of missing power. Obviously, this is more of a defensive ability, but it does have it’s uses on offence. Most will have seen the Killmonger/Void Icarus cheese that makes excellent use of this, but I think the most widespread use would be for suicide users.

Using suicides, this ability grants him almost a bar of power at the start of the fight. It’s basically a power start 1 boost. With a power start 1 boost in AW, that would almost be an instant SP2, allowing you to access counterpunch and indestructible charges quicker.

However, his vibranium armour is disabled if he is inflicted with Armour break. So that’s one way to counter him on defence and makes crumbling armour a pain on offence. And hulkbuster.

Now let’s cover his base bleeds. You have an 80% chance on crits to inflict bleed dealing pretty good damage over 1.5 seconds, meaning he benefits massively from deep wounds (which I’m ashamed to say I don’t have). The issue with these bleeds is that they don’t stack. I don’t know why they just...don't. Kabam, if you want to change this, as you did with Moon Knight, please, please do. These bleeds serve a secondary function, but we’ll get into that when we cover hs SP3. Obviously, access to bleed makes him a counter to Do You Bleed, Thing, Invisible Woman, Torch, and other bleed susceptible champs

Next, his most notable ability. When hitting an opponent that is recovering from a special attack, he gains true strike for 16 seconds. Now, I personally think he is one of the best auto-block and evade counters in the game, but I know some remain unconvinced. Really the only downfall of this ability is the opponent needs to reach a special attack. Which requires giving them power. Which usually requires hitting them. In a stunnable matchup, this isn’t an issue. In matchups where reaching that first special could be potentially tricky, Winter Soldier has your back. You can gain your true strike on any intercept. So this allows him to access true strike from the first hit of the fight, something very few champs can do. The most notable being Night Thrasher, and Ghost/Corvus to a certain extent.

Here’s the thing. True strike isn’t just a counter to evade and auto-block. No, my friends, it also counters armour and resistances. This makes him an excellent option for high armour/high resistance fights, and most importantly, gives him a consistent damage output. He will generally always be hitting for full damage, no matter how tanky the opponent is at their base. Obviously, this isn’t a massive utility point, but the more you use him, the more you come to appreciate this ability. Emma Frost in her diamond form, for example.

Finally, one criticism, and a very valid criticism, is that you can’t punish every special. I absolutely agree. But thankfully, almost every champ with an inherent evade/autoblock mechanic has easily punishable specials. Sometimes it’s not about the number of matchups, it’s about the quality of them. However, there are a few champions I want to point out here that could be problematic

White Widow. Her evade mechanic come off of her SP1, and it’s not really punishable. It’s not a very potent evade mechanic, but worth mentioning

Darkhawk. Very, very difficult to get the timing on his SP1. His SP2 is super easy to punish, and you can avoid activating shield mode until you can push him to that. Not a very friendly matchup though. Here’s one of those matchups where the true strike is nice for cutting through the huge armour he gets in shield mode.

The most relevant example. Iron man Infinity War. His specials are nigh impossible to punish, and he has one of the worst autoblock mechanics in the game.

But Killmonger is not powerless in these matchups, nor other unpunishable matchups with a noded evade mechanic. No. He has counterpunch charges.

Killmonger gains 2 counterpunch charges oof his SP1 for 15 seconds each time he throws it, stacking to 4. Counterpunch charges allow Killmonger to go unstoppable for 0.75 seconds when the enemy hits his block. This has so many applications, many of which I haven’t mastered. @Lvernon15 is a Killmonger master, and has an excellent video on some of the niche uses for counterpunch charges. Find it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bst0ceXcMII

These counterpunch charges, when used effectively, allow you to punish almost every special in the game, including the tricky ones I mentioned. They provide openings in stun immune matchups. They count as intercepts. You can get 7 hit combos off of a parry with them. This is honestly the most complicated part of Killmonger’s kit, the applications of which, I’m not sure have even been fully documented yet.

Next, Killmonger’s SP2. This the special I tend to gravitate to, for safety and damage. If Vibranium armour is active, he gains 3 permanent indestructible charges, maxing at 4. These allow him to take no damage from a hit and consumes one. Even a blocked hit. Which can be annoying, but Killmonger is great for intercepting with, his animations making it fee; intuitive. At least to me.

So, these indestructible charges. Obviously makes him a damn tank if you get comboed, but he can also tank SP3’s through this. Unfortunately, he has no innate way to deal with debuffs, so watch out for SP3’s and basic attacks that can place stuns or DOT. I really wish the cap was 5 so he could take a full combo, but alas, maybe in a synergy one day.

Now, over the years, there has been confusion over how these charges interact with SP3’s. They seem to consume different amounts. Here’s how it works (assuming you have 3 charges):

If an SP3 has 1 hit, it uses 1 charge.
If an SP3 has 2 hits, it uses 2.
If it has 3 or more, it consumes all charges.

Why does it work this way? I’m not sure. SP3’s are considered a single source of damage, but often multiple hits. It seems to take the hits involved into account for 1 or 2 hit SP3’s. But just considers 3 and above as a single source.

Oh, and if you have 1 charge, you can tank an SP3 regardless.

Basically, don’t worry about it. If you have one charge, you can eat the SP3. Depending on how many charges you have, and how many hits are in the SP3, you might be left with a couple spare. Not a bad thing. Just watch out for debuffs. And if you see old videos of him taking no damage from debuffs while indestructible, that was a bug that was fixed (unfortunately). He still takes damage from them.

Finally for his specials, the SP3. Aside from the rubbish animation, it will place a bleed on the opponent for each bleed you have already landed in the fight, up to 50. This can only trigger once per fight.

Basically, whenever you land a bleed in the fight, you will see a little grey counter increase on the opponent’s buff bar for each bleed. It looks like a greyed out bleed icon. When you launch your SP3, it will convert that counter into bleed debuffs, up to 50. Even if the counter is above 50, you will not get more than 50 off of the SP3, and you can’t trigger the 50 bleeds again.

This is your ‘finisher’ move. You won’t need it in shorter fights, but as you get familiar with Killmonger, you’ll come to understand how many bleeds will finish out a fight. You don’t need to be at 50 to trigger these bleeds. I can reach about 20-25 on the counter in an Act 6 fight with my R3, throw the SP3, and that finishes the fight. And this bleed is massive. At 50 stacks, this bleed alone does 96,362 damage on my R3, unawakened, without the bonus SP3 damage, and without true strike active. And you can extend it with deep wounds, giving an extra 40,151 damage at the base.

So yeah, this can get pretty mental. And it’s super useful for Do You Bleed, especially the 6.3.1 Medusa, which he is one of the best counters for. It’s isn’t very practical in most matchups, you’ll usually just want to throw SP1 or SP2. But it can come in very handy occasionally.

Now we tackle Killmonger’s downfall. His damage output. A certain Youtuber pushed out a certain video comparing him to Cyclops in terms of damage output. Now, I don’t want to say that every competent Killmonger player physically recoiled at this video but…

Let’s not start a war here. Nobody is perfect, and not everyone can hit the nail on the bead every time. So if this becomes a debate in the comments here, as I suspect it might, be respectful and remember everyone is human.

So without further ado, let’s discuss Killmonger’s signature ability, and from there, his damage output. Every 8 seconds, Killmonger can activate reverberation as long as his Vibranium armour is active for 8 seconds, then going on cooldown for 8 seconds. The first part of his sig allows him to reflect 70-155% of damage dealt to him through hits back, whether that be a full hit or on the block. It’s important to note that this is based on stored power, so if it activates while he’s at 0 power, you’ll take no damage back. If he’s at full power, you’ll take 7-155% damage back

On a side note, I’ve always wanted to design a Killmonger boss rush fight where he’s armour break immune and you need to manage his reverberation through manipulating his power. It’s a small thing in his defensive kit I feel everyone forgets.

The second part of this sig is the part that is going to be amazing on offence. While both True Strike and Reverberation are active, Killmonger gains an attack bonus, scaling from 597 at sig 1 on a 6* R3 to 3403 at sig 200. At max sig, this is roughly a 115% attack increase, and you can get some pretty good numbers going while it’s active. It is imperative you line up your specials to this window. There is a visual cue when this is active, and that’s when his fists light up and little waves are emitted when he strikes.

So does Killmonger have a bad damage output? Simply put, no. With a high sig, definitely not. The cyclops comparison video was using a sig 20 and not lining up the specials. He still had roughly 100% more attack to gain through his sig in that comparison video, and the damage output would have been higher if played correctly.

But also, I don’t find him to be a pillow unawakened either. As I mentioned, I have my 6* at R3 unawakened, and he finishes fight perfectly well. He doesn’t come close to timing out in a war. He was R2 when I 100% Act 6, and the fights didn’t feel like they were dragging at all. Maybe I’m biased. But I am trying to remain objective here. He’s not Ghost. He’s not Omega. Not even Doom. He’s more at Claire level I think. Maybe it’s the benefit from suicides that makes him hit hard since he gets the full 60% bonus. But in my experience, even without suicides, he hits perfectly fine.

And utility over damage any day. And I think he has a lot of great utility.

Finally for this guide, synergies.

He’s a bit of a synergy machine.

He has a ‘tiered’ synergy with Winter Soldier. So you only get the full benefit on the 5* or above. It gives Killmonger a 100% chance to activate true strike on an intercept, which we’ve already discussed, and Winter Soldier gains 5% attack for each hit in the combo meter up to 100 hits.

This actually makes Winter Soldier a good champion. No, I’m not exaggerating. I used him for a relatively cheap first Labyrinth clear as a R1 6*, and was using him throughout 6.1 exploration and 6.2 completion. At that point, he began to drop off, but he was a good lane clearer.

His synergy with Void is pretty frickin amazing. It gives him a 35% chance to purify a debuff and regenerate 4% health. This can make him ok with suicides, it’s not reliable though. On that note, Killmonger is a mixed bag with suicides. He gains a massive benefit from them but doesn’t run them too well. This can offset that a wee bit

As for Void, he regenerates 1% health whenever he inflicts an intimidating presence debuff. This is great for Void’s sustainability and can save you a ton of potions.

His final inherent synergy is with Black Panther Civil War. Killmonger starts the fight with 3 indestructible and counterpunch charges. Nice to have for some matchup where you need to immediately tank an SP3 or find an opening, but not needed.

BPCW gets a 30% fury on parries, which can make him hit halfway decent, but the champ needs so much more. He’s top of my list to get buffed, and that’s not because he’s my favourite hero and panthers are my favourite animal. No, not at all. One other nice thing here is that BPCW has a nemesis synergy with Killmonger which gives all champs up to 6% attack. We always like double bonus synergies.

Human Torch has a synergy with Killmonger that gives him a 100% chance to bleed on crits. This is super nice, and it’s with a great champ. Smiles all round.

Storm X gives him 30% extra bleed duration, which is incredible, especially for the SP3 bleed. Plus, Storm X and Killmonger on the same team? Sign me right up.

Sabretooth gives him 30% offensive combat power rate when striking a bleeding opponent, which is nice, but not super noticeable without deep wounds. Sabretooth gets the much better half of this synergy, with his 100% Ability accuracy reduction when inflicting a debuff for 0.7 seconds. Gives him a ton more utility.

Sentinel gains 25% crit resistance when facing a skill champion if you find yourself putting it and Killmonger on the same team. Nice enough I guess.

Our last synergy comes from IMIIW, which gives every champ +12% crit resistance for each active armour effect, which gives some champs a chunk more tankiness.

As for Killmonger’s rotation, it’s fairly simple. SP1 or SP2 depending on what utility you need. SP3 to finish medium to long fights. Always have true strike and reverberation active whenever you throw a special, wherever possible. Punish your opponent's specials as quickly as possible. Some timings are weird and will require practice, others you will need to utilise your counterpunch charges for. He’s intercept heavy, due to his intuitive intercepting animations, giving him a very quick playstyle. He can deliver a lot of hits in a short space of time. Do not let the hit counter fool you.

And that’s it. That’s Killmonger.

If I had to describe Killmonger, I would describe him as a workhorse. He will take you through a lot of content, even late game in Act 6. I used mine a bunch. He’s forgiving if you make a mistake and counters some of the most annoying mechanics in the game. Is he the best? No. Maybe at being an evade/autoblock counter, but in general, definitely not.

But he also gets a lot of flak he doesn’t deserve. I hope this guide has helped some of you or made some fellow Killmonger fans happy. But most importantly, remember:

Killmonger was always God Tier.

‘Til next time.

Comments

• Options
    Lvernon15 said:

Great guide and review! Couldn’t have put it better myself

Thanks, that is high praise coming from the Killmonger guru himself
  • Options

Most underrated champ in the game! I got so much backlash for saying IMO he is the 2nd best skill. I still believe that. The ones that don’t use him often don’t really understand how useful he can be!

Awesome job!!!!

Glad you enjoyed it! Even I wouldn’t put him at second best skill, but I respect that view!
  • Options
    KDSuperFlash10KDSuperFlash10 Posts: 5,869 ★★★★★
    Amazing guide, maybe I'll finally put my 5* r2 unawakened Killmonger to use! I also have a 5* Void and Omega and a 6* Sabretooth, so I can build an entire team with him! Keep these coming!
  • Options
    Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★
    man you make him sound really good. I might try my 5* out some time
  • Options
    Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★
    who's your favorite champ?
  • Options

who's your favorite champ?

Quake. Although it’s kind of a love/hate relationship
  • Options
    This is an amazing guide! I have an R4 KM, my first R4 in fact and I actually regretted it. Slowly I am starting to find many uses for him and I have started liking him a lot more!
  • Options
    Hector_1475Hector_1475 Posts: 1,788 ★★★★★
    So glad to read this review, even though I know (almost) everything about him. My 5* goes to R5 later today and he is already sig 200. He will pair nicely with my (same rank and sig) Void. Amazing write-up, thanks for that.
  • Options
    Ethan4llawayEthan4llaway Posts: 18
    I got KM today and im definitely ranking him up now. thanks!