**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Damage or Utility

2»

Comments

• Xguard77Xguard77 Posts: 554 ★★★
    Acts 1-5, high damage. Act 6 and Variants, utility.
  • LunaeLunae Posts: 371 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Personally I think this is a false choice, because the best champs have a balance of both, but I will say that when I'm facing a hard fight I am almost never asking which champ has enough damage for the fight, I'm asking which champ has the best abilities to counter the fight. I think about utility far more often than I think about damage.

Plus, a low damage champ with the right utility can have its damage boosted. A high damage champ without the right utility rarely has the same option. You're usually pumping boosts into utility champs, and revives into high damage (low utility) champs. Boosts are generally cheaper.

I find it hard to believe people really value utility over damage. The largest batch of champions this year are designed with more of an emphasis on utility then damage yet rarely do I hear any praise of them, but your completely right it’s the same reason no one talks about Proxima either so there is a sweet spot between the two.

My philosophy is to keep low damage utility champions at rank 4 and just boost up or eat the potions cost since those resources are a lot cheaper then the rank up material needed to rank 5.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    Lunae said:

DNA3000 said:

Personally I think this is a false choice, because the best champs have a balance of both, but I will say that when I'm facing a hard fight I am almost never asking which champ has enough damage for the fight, I'm asking which champ has the best abilities to counter the fight. I think about utility far more often than I think about damage.

Plus, a low damage champ with the right utility can have its damage boosted. A high damage champ without the right utility rarely has the same option. You're usually pumping boosts into utility champs, and revives into high damage (low utility) champs. Boosts are generally cheaper.

I find it hard to believe people really value utility over damage. The largest batch of champions this year are designed with more of an emphasis on utility then damage yet rarely do I hear any praise of them, but your completely right it’s the same reason no one talks about Proxima either so there is a sweet spot between the two.
    I think the highest of the top tier champs are just as likely if not more likely to be valued for strong utility over strong damage. Back in the day Blade was valued more for utility than damage, as well as Iceman. Today Doom is more valued for utility than pure damage in my opinion. Omega Red, Archangel, Void, Quake, and Warlock are all champs that I think are valued more for utility than straight up damage.

Probably the most recent champ being talked about as being super valuable due to utility over pure damage is Apocalypse. Not conventional utility, but utility nonetheless.