**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Killmonger vs. Venom the Duck

SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,805 ★★★★★
edited October 2020 in Strategy and Tips
So I was sparked by some discussion on whether Killmonger is better than Venom the Duck. Wanting to come to a good conclusion, I enlisted the help of @Lvernon15, @Rockypantherx, and @DrZola to write some paragraphs about the respective champions.

First off, Killmonger, by @Rockypantherx and @Lvernon15:

Firstly, his true strike. Most practical, and therefore, best true strike in the game. Easily accessible and has a long uptime, nor does it require you to alter your playstyle (unlike night thrasher). Counters some of the most potent defensive abilities in autoblock and evade, and well as small things like resistances and armour

Indestructible charges. Excellent for being sustainable, mess ups, but can also allow him to tank some SP3’s (most notably Hyperion) in high power gain scenarios.

His counter punch charges, which you should consult LV on.

Then various dribs and drabs like access to bleed and pretty tanky.

As for uses in the endgame, very helpful on both AW offence and defence. There are lots of evaders/autoblockers in act 6, and there is at least one path in each variant and chapter of act 6 which is focused solely on evade abilities. He’s also just a great sustainable path clearer. SP3 tanking is useful in a few Act 6 fights. He’s not really outstanding for any act 6 bosses, but can get a few of them done.

Yeah, he has the obvious use as autoblock evade and all or nothing/power gain counter, anything that forces or benefits intercepting he’s a top option for, counterpunch helps a ton in 6.2.5 for example, any stun immune matchup he can somewhat bypass the stun immunity by counterpunch, same works for limber and shrug off abilities. Icarus he cheeses with the void synergy, he can do the aggro fury cheese with heimdall like electro can, all sorts of stuff that he’s good for.

And Venom the Duck, by @DrZola:
He’s basically a RNG jukebox. The key is the ramp up, and most people have a certain set of buffs they like to store in the RNA bank. Personally, I like to hit a few regens, at least a few furies and the rest power gain—all the offensive buffs.

He gets a lot of complaints because of the perception he never pulls the buffs you need. However, Zzyx and I did a reasonably thorough run of his buffs and concluded (1) they do happen in a fairly random order and (2) the addition of Symbiote synergy partners does increase the odds you will generate more of either offensive or defensive buffs.
(https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/200049/venom-the-duck-a-study)

His toxic armor on Sp2 can be very potent, although I find myself disappointed sometimes with the lack of damage it provides.

His major problems are his lack of immunities. In today’s game, that’s a bummer. He also is a terrible choice against nullify champs (a loaded VtD will likely die against SymSup in the first few seconds).

Where to use him? I think people see him as a great incursions champ, and he also can shine in AQ. Basically, anywhere you have time and multiple fights to get and store buffs. He’s a pretty weak AW defender, and even at my AW level I never see him in attack. Probably useful in some Story and EQ, and he is a bit of a cheat code on some Variant fights (Symbiote and XL).

Me again! After reading both of these, I’ve got to say, the clear choice for me is Killmonger. Decent damage, survivability, and doesn’t rely on RNG for utility. In the end, the true winner is this guy: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXl7JHuknOg

Killmonger vs. Venom the Duck 72 votes

Killmonger
66%
SnakeEyes69DeeparviDrZolaHaji_SaabTerraMalchaeisLvernon15ThatGuyYouSaw235rockray2016BrokenKabam PorthosLmaoblurblotCiciliatoRookiieThatOneMasterGamerDjinRamadaRockypantherx-sixate- 48 votes
Venom the Duck
33%
RockermannameplasTimrosDRTORaichu626KDSuperFlash10Santa_PsycheZombieZeddMaxGamingHonaway_23Mr.0-8-4Sarvanga1_H3t3rTheInfintyTheNickster20ŘïdđhįmHoodie25CrcrcrcLobster44aroseinbloom39 24 votes
Post edited by Kabam Porthos on

Comments

• Options
    MaxGamingMaxGaming Posts: 3,204 ★★★★★
    Venom the Duck
    Venom the duck
  • Options
    Killmonger
    MaxGaming said:

Venom the duck

oh gee I wonder why
  • Options
    CrcrcrcCrcrcrc Posts: 7,940 ★★★★★
    Venom the Duck
    He can hit really hard when ramped up
  • Options
    Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★
    Killmonger
    probably km, but vtd is better in my heart
  • Options
    Agent_X_zzzAgent_X_zzz Posts: 4,494 ★★★★★
    Killmonger
    KM is much better, VTD is impractical in "most" content excluding some act 6 lanes (very few) incursions and VTD, his ramp up sucks and his rng can screw you over.

KM has awesome evade and autoblock counter, good damage, can tank damage and sp3s, stun immune counter, great do you bleed counter, massive bleed off sp3.
  • Options
    Hammerbro_64Hammerbro_64 Posts: 7,463 ★★★★★
    DrZola said:

Why is there no option for Killmongwr the Duck?

Dr. Zola

You mean Killduck the Mong?
  • Options
    DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,547 ★★★★★
    Killmonger

DrZola said:

Why is there no option for Killmongwr the Duck?

Dr. Zola

You mean Killduck the Mong?
    Or Iron Killducker?

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    Killmonger
    Etjama said:

We need more of these polls sharing more than one experienced player's experience and knowledge on a particular champ. I loved this.

that’s kinda why I did it
  • Options
    DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,547 ★★★★★
    Killmonger
    Etjama said:

We need more of these polls sharing more than one experienced player's experience and knowledge on a particular champ. I loved this.

Agreed.

Sorry about your imprisonment. Here’s to hoping you receive clemency soon.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    Mr.0-8-4Mr.0-8-4 Posts: 462 ★★★
    Venom the Duck
    Venom the Duck is the clear winner in my books. I've just defeated the champion in Act 6 and I can honestly say, VTD did 95% of the heavy lifting.

If you know how to properly use him, you can clear the entire quest while keeping your other 4 champs fresh and ready to fight.
  • Options
    Mr.0-8-4Mr.0-8-4 Posts: 462 ★★★
    Venom the Duck
    Think about it. Venom the Duck has the following abilities:

• Bleed and Degen (for bleed immune champs)
    • Toxic Armor (add special #1 for added damage)
    • Sustainability via buffs in RNA (reactivate w/ SP3
    • Versatile (power gain, Fury or Regen)
    • Good Synergies

Oh and Toxic Armor is a passive which means it can still affect debuff immune champs.
  • Options
    MaxGamingMaxGaming Posts: 3,204 ★★★★★
    Venom the Duck

MaxGaming said:

Venom the duck

oh gee I wonder why

• Options
    Lobster44Lobster44 Posts: 147
    Venom the Duck
    I don't have really any experience with Killmonger, but VTD got me through enough paths of stuff when playing like absolute garbage because I stacked enough regens to make him near invincible and enough power gains to reach sp3 every 12 seconds that I'll forever love him.
  • Options
    RockypantherxRockypantherx Posts: 3,900 ★★★★★
    Killmonger
    Absolutely Killmonger. I used my Killmonger countless times throughout Act 6. I used my venom the suck exactly 0. VTD doesn’t doesn’t have the utility or payoff to justify that ramp up. And even then, he can’t deal with really any of the difficult paths in act 6.

The one thing he does have over Killmonger is V2, and even then, I didn’t use my 6* in there except from the quest where the global beefed him up because he just couldn’t deal with a lot of nodes to properly ramp up
  • Options
    Sarvanga1_Sarvanga1_ Posts: 4,139 ★★★★★
    Venom the Duck

So I was sparked by some discussion on whether Killmonger is better than Venom the Duck. Wanting to come to a good conclusion, I enlisted the help of @Lvernon15, @Rockypantherx, and @DrZola to write some paragraphs about the respective champions.

First off, Killmonger, by @Rockypantherx and @Lvernon15:

Firstly, his true strike. Most practical, and therefore, best true strike in the game. Easily accessible and has a long uptime, nor does it require you to alter your playstyle (unlike night thrasher). Counters some of the most potent defensive abilities in autoblock and evade, and well as small things like resistances and armour

Indestructible charges. Excellent for being sustainable, mess ups, but can also allow him to tank some SP3’s (most notably Hyperion) in high power gain scenarios.

His counter punch charges, which you should consult LV on.

Then various dribs and drabs like access to bleed and pretty tanky.

As for uses in the endgame, very helpful on both AW offence and defence. There are lots of evaders/autoblockers in act 6, and there is at least one path in each variant and chapter of act 6 which is focused solely on evade abilities. He’s also just a great sustainable path clearer. SP3 tanking is useful in a few Act 6 fights. He’s not really outstanding for any act 6 bosses, but can get a few of them done.

Yeah, he has the obvious use as autoblock evade and all or nothing/power gain counter, anything that forces or benefits intercepting he’s a top option for, counterpunch helps a ton in 6.2.5 for example, any stun immune matchup he can somewhat bypass the stun immunity by counterpunch, same works for limber and shrug off abilities. Icarus he cheeses with the void synergy, he can do the aggro fury cheese with heimdall like electro can, all sorts of stuff that he’s good for.

And Venom the Duck, by @DrZola:
    He’s basically a RNG jukebox. The key is the ramp up, and most people have a certain set of buffs they like to store in the RNA bank. Personally, I like to hit a few regens, at least a few furies and the rest power gain—all the offensive buffs.

He gets a lot of complaints because of the perception he never pulls the buffs you need. However, Zzyx and I did a reasonably thorough run of his buffs and concluded (1) they do happen in a fairly random order and (2) the addition of Symbiote synergy partners does increase the odds you will generate more of either offensive or defensive buffs.
    (https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/200049/venom-the-duck-a-study)

His toxic armor on Sp2 can be very potent, although I find myself disappointed sometimes with the lack of damage it provides.

His major problems are his lack of immunities. In today’s game, that’s a bummer. He also is a terrible choice against nullify champs (a loaded VtD will likely die against SymSup in the first few seconds).

Where to use him? I think people see him as a great incursions champ, and he also can shine in AQ. Basically, anywhere you have time and multiple fights to get and store buffs. He’s a pretty weak AW defender, and even at my AW level I never see him in attack. Probably useful in some Story and EQ, and he is a bit of a cheat code on some Variant fights (Symbiote and XL).

Me again! After reading both of these, I’ve got to say, the clear choice for me is Killmonger. Decent damage, survivability, and doesn’t rely on RNG for utility. In the end, the true winner is this guy: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXl7JHuknOg

Very good research work. Asking the experts of the champs was a really good idea.
    You made a mistake in the last para though
    Decent damage, survivability are points of vtd not killmonger.
  • Options
    FiiNCHFiiNCH Posts: 1,664 ★★★★★
    Killmonger
    Killmonger for his additional utility and also his synergy with void
  • Options
    BerjibsBerjibs Posts: 1,523 ★★★★
    Why would you compare killmonger and VTD? 🤷🏽‍♂️
  • Options
    Sarvanga1_Sarvanga1_ Posts: 4,139 ★★★★★
    Venom the Duck
    Berjibs said:

Yeah one is a questing champ and the other is a utility champ who is used in specific fights. The comparison is non-existent.
  • Options
    BerjibsBerjibs Posts: 1,523 ★★★★
    Yeah not criticising just seems odd.
  • Options
    Killmonger
    Berjibs said:

there was a thread lol
  • Options
    Killmonger

A great post @SpideyFunko, thanks for sharing with us!

You’re welcome.