**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Root Feedback (New Mechanic)

Comments

• CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    Greekhit said:

Jestress said:

Jestress said:

Can't wait to be rooted while opponent launches an unblockable special

That is covered in the 3rd and fourth sentence of the thread; if you can be bothered to read that far why bother replying?

WHAT DOES IT DO?

When Rooted, a Champion's movement is locked. You can still perform any action, but you won’t move from your location when doing so. So for example, you can still dodge special attacks with Dexterity, Parry, and use your own Special Attacks (Unless a global buff says otherwise).
    Let me rephrase, since you'd rather be snarky.

How do you plan to mitigate being rooted while an opponent launches an unblockable special that cannot be evaded with ease, such as an aarkus, storm x, or apoc sp2?
    If you cannot easily evade it what does it matter if you’re rooted or not? And those specials are not unblockable.
    Some specials can be dodged only if you have the correct distance.
    The most common example is Yellowjacket’s sp1. If you are very close to him (memphisto aura, omega deathfield, close encounters etc. range) you can’t fully dex it, as the last, third beam will catch you no matter how perfect your timing is. You need a minimal distance to be able to fully avoid it.
    Root mechanics is going to create problematic interactions with specials that require not only correct timing, but also correct spacing 🤔
    First off Yellowjackets special 1 is not unblockable letting you block it while rooted so you’ve created a fictional scenario. Secondly it is fully evadable up close and is a matter of timing (his animations fake you out causing you to dex early, watch the stingers not the body). Have a gif.

walkerdog said:

Trubli said:

I think you need to make sure a number of defenders aren’t given the root node buff.

This concerns me for match ups like Omega Red, Terrax, Mephisto etc where physical distance is a necessity to avoid different types of damage. Or this in combination with nodes like Long Distance Relationship, or Fight or Flight where that becomes important as well.

Rooted against those champions and situations is still playable. You can parry then heavy them to knock them away from you.
    Good luck when Omegas unblockable ruins you.
    If you don’t have a robot for that situation Knock him away from you with either a heavy or a special. The sky is not falling.
    walkerdog said:

walkerdog said:

Trubli said:

I think you need to make sure a number of defenders aren’t given the root node buff.

This concerns me for match ups like Omega Red, Terrax, Mephisto etc where physical distance is a necessity to avoid different types of damage. Or this in combination with nodes like Long Distance Relationship, or Fight or Flight where that becomes important as well.

Rooted against those champions and situations is still playable. You can parry then heavy them to knock them away from you.
    If you don’t have a robot for that situation Knock him away from you with either a heavy or a special. The sky is not falling.
    How are u knocking him away? He charges in and his unblockable laughs at your parry. U die bc u thought u had a solution but were wrong. And I do not trust kabam to implement this node reasonably.
    1) if he’s charging in you do not have the 10 spores on you required for him to go unblockable.

3) Robot

3) Have a gif.

4) Sky still is not falling. And posing fictitious, unevidenced or impossible situations backed by personal incredulity is no example/argument at all, it is however another example of fearmongering.

walkerdog said:

walkerdog said:

Trubli said:

How are u knocking him away? He charges in and his unblockable laughs at your parry. U die bc u thought u had a solution but were wrong. And I do not trust kabam to implement this node reasonably.
    1) if he’s charging in you do not have the 10 spores on you required for him to go unblockable.

3) Robot

3) Have a gif.

4) Sky still is not falling. And posing fictitious, unevidenced or impossible situations backed by personal incredulity is no example/argument at all, it is however another example of fearmongering.
    Your gif is kinda negating your own point. You were able to create distance initially to make the spores drop off. Rooted u will not be able to do that.
    While it is hard to create a situation completely mimicking being rooted the gif is demonstrating that you can keep spores off of you by using heavy attack to knock Omega Red back which forces the spores to fall of while he never goes unblockable.

I’m not sure what you mean by initially? The only way to mimic root is to put yourself in the corner, and even then you’ll advance forward unwillingly without holding down block. If you can further explain how the gif fails to illustrate what I’m talking about please let me know what I can do better.
  • Crimson8399Crimson8399 Posts: 749 ★★★

walkerdog said:

walkerdog said:

Trubli said:

3) Robot

3) Have a gif.

Your gif is kinda negating your own point. You were able to create distance initially to make the spores drop off. Rooted u will not be able to do that.
    While it is hard to create a situation completely mimicking being rooted the gif is demonstrating that you can keep spores off of you by using heavy attack to knock Omega Red back which forces the spores to fall of while he never goes unblockable.

I’m not sure what you mean by initially? The only way to mimic root is to put yourself in the corner, and even then you’ll advance forward unwillingly without holding down block. If you can further explain how the gif fails to illustrate what I’m talking about please let me know what I can do better.
    It's quite simple actually. Distance used to drop off spores before u get in the corner. If rooted say in the middle of field u can't create distance initially to gain control of the fight. Also even while in the corner after a heavy there is a bit of forward movement which allows a small dash back to create even more space.
    edited November 2020

walkerdog said:

walkerdog said:

Trubli said:

3) Robot

3) Have a gif.

It's quite simple actually. Distance used to drop off spores before u get in the corner. If rooted say in the middle of field u can't create distance initially to gain control of the fight. Also even while in the corner after a heavy there is a bit of forward movement which allows a small dash back to create even more space.
    I can start the fight with a parry in the middle or the corner and there is no difference in how the spores function. However starting in the middle it is impossible to mimic being unable to move backwards as you’ll always move backwards when you dash back to dodge an attack like a heavy; so you need the wall at your back to prevent that and to then never dash forward.

Here after the heavy I try to always hold block to prevent any movement but even when I fail to do that and back up the impact of that minuscule movements on the spore count is immaterial; even after OR uses his special 2 his spores are not a threat. https://youtu.be/H5deQkwzLHA

Jestress said:

Jestress said:

zeezee57 said:

I'm not sure i see the purpose here. I get what it does based on the description, just not really sure why this is being added. Has there been some grand plan related to it explained somewhere that I missed? Honestly I'm just not seeing any real value something like this would add to the games combat experience. I can however think of a bunch of interactions this will have a negative impact on, but where is the potential positive aspect? Feels like a change for change sake which is something I'm not a fan of.

Pretty much this. All I see is the opportunity for a league of new broken interactions, and months of waiting for them to be fixed. It’s happened repeatedly.
    No surprise you continue to awfulize a new interaction in a game trying to avoid stagnation.

Lol, stagnation isn’t the problem pal. The game is always broken in some way or another. Just as unsurprising as it is for you that I “awfulize” something, equally unsurprising that you continue to be in the minority in your stance.

Also, your responses to everyone include saying how their special attacks aren’t unblockable and they’re creating fictional scenarios. It’s called a node. Unblockable Special 1. Unblockable Special 2. I’m sure you’ve heard of them.
    Oh the game is very much in danger of stagnating, so much so that Kabam has recently changed how they approach and manage numerous aspects of the game. Aside from that the game is one of nodes and interactions that challenge players and without innovation in that area it simply becomes boring and players are no longer engaged; root is another challenge.

I’ve have heard of those nodes, but did you bother to read the OP? “The difficulty has been tuned around these buffs, so there shouldn’t be too much complexity going on around them. Unless you want to take a swing at Legendary, where an extra wrinkle has been added to keep you on your feet.”

Keep in telling us the sky is falling.

walkerdog said:

walkerdog said:

Trubli said:

3) Robot

3) Have a gif.

I can start the fight with a parry in the middle or the corner and there is no difference in how the spores function. However starting in the middle it is impossible to mimic being unable to move backwards as you’ll always move backwards when you dash back to dodge an attack like a heavy; so you need the wall at your back to prevent that and to then never dash forward.

Here after the heavy I try to always hold block to prevent any movement but even when I fail to do that and back up the impact of that minuscule movements on the spore count is immaterial; even after OR uses his special 2 his spores are not a threat. https://youtu.be/H5deQkwzLHA

You're assuming the AI immediately attacks into you. If it does sure u can gain control that way but what happens when they don't and just stand there gaining spores waiting for an opening only for him to just keep blocking cause again if u can't bait the opponent into doing what u want u can't do anything to remove spores/other effects caused by distance or mobility. Cause if he just stands there guarding, u gain 10 spores, then ur in a bad spot. Like I said before if you don't have a guaranteed way to take control you're in the bin.
    Show me any scenario where an opponent (who actually poses a threat) is going to just hold block long enough to kill you with spores. Even in that completely ridiculous scenario, Robot.

Just checked the sky is still in place in spite of the continued rhetoric to the contrary.
    I get ur trying to justify a new challenge but removing a core mechanic of the game just isn't a good way to go about it. There are already nodes/champs in-game that prevent blocking and evading. As far as the game getting stagnant/boring I strongly disagree that creating nodes that reduce functionality is the solution. As far as the nodes being tuned around this, let's be real, kabam will always use the right hand to great you and the left to slap you. They have said on other occasions nodes won't be combined or paired in a certain way and then next thing u know they are because people have already found a work around and it is now to easy/stagnant or they simply just do it. A perfect example is when they said we will never see a buffet/masochism combo and yet we have.

I get ur trying to justify a new challenge but removing a core mechanic of the game just isn't a good way to go about it. There are already nodes/champs in-game that prevent blocking and evading. As far as the game getting stagnant/boring I strongly disagree that creating nodes that reduce functionality is the solution. As far as the nodes being tuned around this, let's be real, kabam will always use the right hand to great you and the left to slap you. They have said on other occasions nodes won't be combined or paired in a certain way and then next thing u know they are because people have already found a work around and it is now to easy/stagnant or they simply just do it. A perfect example is when they said we will never see a buffet/masochism combo and yet we have.

I’m not trying to justify anything, I’m pointing out that people here are showcasing Chicken Little Syndrome by creating fictitious scenarios because they’re frightened, frightened by a video game.

At least we’ve gotten you to admit you’re another awfulizer spouting untruths. We weren’t promised to never see buffet and masochism as a combo so please stop lying.

If you are one of the players who will enjoy this that is great. I truly hope it is fun for you. As for me and the other 90% of the player base who disagree with terrible node decision we shall continue to express the poor design of this node til it is removed.

Maybe don’t judge a book by it’s cover. JS.

I’m not trying to justify anything, I’m pointing out that people here are showcasing Chicken Little Syndrome by creating fictitious scenarios because they’re frightened, frightened by a video game.

At least we’ve gotten you to admit you’re another awfulizer spouting untruths. We weren’t promised to never see buffet and masochism as a combo so please stop lying.
    It actually was stated a few years back that it would not be a combo of you knew what you were talking about. It was around the time of their release.
    Oh I know what I’m talking about. I invite you to prove your assertion.

I’ll save you the trouble though. What you are referring to is the 5.2 announcement where they are introducing us to masochism while describing the chapter. They say “ Also, it’s important to note that we don’t use Buffet and Masochism at the same time.” that’s not a promise to never use that combination that’s them describing the node combination of a specific piece of content.
  • xXkuyxXxXkuyxX Posts: 41
    Good practice if you want to be a good Quake player i think!? 😆
    edited November 2020
    xXkuyxX said:

Good practice if you want to be a good Quake player i think!? 😆

Quake would do well as long it's not an evade counter on the node ie iceman or true strike champs.

If you are one of the players who will enjoy this that is great. I truly hope it is fun for you. As for me and the other 90% of the player base who disagree with terrible node decision we shall continue to express the poor design of this node til it is removed.

Maybe don’t judge a book by it’s cover. JS.
    Judging a book by its cover is foolish but you're reading a Stephen king book it's very safe to say that it will contain certain aspects he is known for. So again if you expect this node to function well and not be combined with some of the most difficult nodes in-game, that's not fear mongering, chicken littling, or whatever other cute saying u have, its history and facts ur facing.
    Oh yeah a book by Kabam, I love those and despite what people post here they also love those and have been doing so for years. Even you are here reading their book after years.

I never said I expect it to function perfectly, there are a few things that concern me that have not been brought up as of yet, and none of them are related to champion or node specific interactions; but I can wait to experience that in game upon release to see how it functions rather than add fuel to your unfounded fears.

But to the contrary I expect the node to combined with other challenging nodes and interactions, just not during it’s initial introduction to this community. I’m actually looking forward to it, I like a challenge, I like to be taken out of my comfort zone, I like to experience new things in the games I play.

Go ahead and be defeated by root before you even experience it.

It actually was stated a few years back that it would not be a combo of you knew what you were talking about. It was around the time of their release.

I’ll save you the trouble though. What you are referring to is the 5.2 announcement where they are introducing us to masochism while describing the chapter. They say “ Also, it’s important to note that we don’t use Buffet and Masochism at the same time.” that’s not a promise to never use that combination that’s them describing the node combination of a specific piece of content.
    So you basically just proved my point. Right now they say they won't combine it with other troublesome nodes and then will. Also did they say those node would only apply to that specific content, no. So them saying that combo would not happen was read and interpreted by many as never.
    Your point was Kabam said they won’t combine specific nodes in a certain way ever, that’s false Kabam never made that promise. Kabam are not responsible for individuals reading comprehension levels, that’s the domain of your educators. Here you can read your own words again. “They have said on other occasions nodes won't be combined or paired in a certain way and then next thing u know they are because people have already found a work around and it is now to easy/stagnant or they simply just do it. A perfect example is when they said we will never see a buffet/masochism combo and yet we have.”

So you basically just proved my point. Right now they say they won't combine it with other troublesome nodes and then will. Also did they say those node would only apply to that specific content, no. So them saying that combo would not happen was read and interpreted by many as never.
    Your point was Kabam said they won’t combine specific nodes in a certain way ever, that’s false Kabam never made that promise. Kabam are not responsible for individuals reading comprehension levels, that’s the domain of your educators. Here you can read your own words again. “They have said on other occasions nodes won't be combined or paired in a certain way and then next thing u know they are because people have already found a work around and it is now to easy/stagnant or they simply just do it. A perfect example is when they said we will never see a buffet/masochism combo and yet we have.”
    How can u misinterpret these nodes will not be used together? Whetjer never was stated or not has nothing to do with someone's education it is written in a way that reads that way.
    I even reread the entire post on the update and they had to go back and edit it after release because they said it won't be used together and then had to correct themselves.