**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Root Feedback (New Mechanic)

Comments

• Notsavage19Notsavage19 Posts: 2,817 ★★★★★
    7or7 said:

Below is a subjective list of attacks that most players avoid by spacing rather than dexing, which would likely become problematic if specials are unblockable or if opponents’ attack is high so block damage is significant, and the heavy attack would almost always be problematic. I didn’t include OG heavy attacks like black widow and storm because most players can dex them with practice. For you heros out there, I’m not asking for you to give me a bunch of gifs showing your skill, I’m saying even if you can evade these once in a while, for the majority of the fights, under the majority of conditions, these attacks would be a problem. With more stringent and punishing nodes, root would make the game nearly unplayable against these attacks. So this is to reiterate, kabam, if you keep this mechanic, please be judicious.

Immortal abomination sp1 and sp2, aegon sp1, black bolt sp2, black panther sp2, black widow Claire voyant sp2, black widow deadly origin sp1 and sp2, blade sp2 (already undex-able) and heavy attack, carnage sp1 and sp2, civil warrior sp1, colossus sp1 and sp2, cull obsidian sp1 and sp2,dark hawk sp2 and heavy attack, Diablo sp2, doctor octopus heavy attack, dragon man sp1 and sp2 and heavy attack, drax sp2, electro sp1, Elektra heavy attack, ghost rider sp2 and heavy attack, guillotine 2099 sp2, gwenpool heavy attack, Hawkeye sp2, heimdall sp1 and heavy attack, hit-monkey heavy attack, Howard the duck heavy attack, hulk immortal sp1 and sp2 and heavy attack, gladiator hulk sp2, human torch sp2, Hyperion heavy attack, iron patriot sp2, juggernaut sp2, Karnak heavy attack, killmonger sp2 and heavy attack, Korg sp2, Luke cage sp1, modok heavy attack, man-thing sp2, massacre sp1 and heavy attack, Medusa sp2, Mephisto sp2, mojo sp1, mole-man sp2, namor sp1, nebula sp2, nick fury sp2 and heavy attack, night thrasher sp1 and sp2, old man Logan sp2, omega red sp2, Phoenix sp2, red goblin sp1 and sp2, red guardian sp1, rhino sp2, ronin sp2, sabertooth heavy attack, sasquatch sp2, silver surfer sp2, Spider-Man sp1, Spider-Man stealth heavy attack, Spider-Man symbiote sp1, squirrel girl sp2, sunspot sp1 and sp2, taskmaster sp2, the champion sp1 and sp2, thing sp1 and sp2 and heavy attack, Thor ragnarok sp2, tigra sp1 and sp2 and heavy attack, unstoppable colossus sp2, venom sp2, void heavy attack, warlock sp2, wasp sp1, wolverine sp2, x23 sp2, yellow jacket sp1.

Just sayin'...
    HI_guys said:

7or7 said:

Below is a subjective list of attacks that most players avoid by spacing rather than dexing, which would likely become problematic if specials are unblockable or if opponents’ attack is high so block damage is significant, and the heavy attack would almost always be problematic. I didn’t include OG heavy attacks like black widow and storm because most players can dex them with practice. For you heros out there, I’m not asking for you to give me a bunch of gifs showing your skill, I’m saying even if you can evade these once in a while, for the majority of the fights, under the majority of conditions, these attacks would be a problem. With more stringent and punishing nodes, root would make the game nearly unplayable against these attacks. So this is to reiterate, kabam, if you keep this mechanic, please be judicious.

Immortal abomination sp1 and sp2, aegon sp1, black bolt sp2, black panther sp2, black widow Claire voyant sp2, black widow deadly origin sp1 and sp2, blade sp2 (already undex-able) and heavy attack, carnage sp1 and sp2, civil warrior sp1, colossus sp1 and sp2, cull obsidian sp1 and sp2,dark hawk sp2 and heavy attack, Diablo sp2, doctor octopus heavy attack, dragon man sp1 and sp2 and heavy attack, drax sp2, electro sp1, Elektra heavy attack, ghost rider sp2 and heavy attack, guillotine 2099 sp2, gwenpool heavy attack, Hawkeye sp2, heimdall sp1 and heavy attack, hit-monkey heavy attack, Howard the duck heavy attack, hulk immortal sp1 and sp2 and heavy attack, gladiator hulk sp2, human torch sp2, Hyperion heavy attack, iron patriot sp2, juggernaut sp2, Karnak heavy attack, killmonger sp2 and heavy attack, Korg sp2, Luke cage sp1, modok heavy attack, man-thing sp2, massacre sp1 and heavy attack, Medusa sp2, Mephisto sp2, mojo sp1, mole-man sp2, namor sp1, nebula sp2, nick fury sp2 and heavy attack, night thrasher sp1 and sp2, old man Logan sp2, omega red sp2, Phoenix sp2, red goblin sp1 and sp2, red guardian sp1, rhino sp2, ronin sp2, sabertooth heavy attack, sasquatch sp2, silver surfer sp2, Spider-Man sp1, Spider-Man stealth heavy attack, Spider-Man symbiote sp1, squirrel girl sp2, sunspot sp1 and sp2, taskmaster sp2, the champion sp1 and sp2, thing sp1 and sp2 and heavy attack, Thor ragnarok sp2, tigra sp1 and sp2 and heavy attack, unstoppable colossus sp2, venom sp2, void heavy attack, warlock sp2, wasp sp1, wolverine sp2, x23 sp2, yellow jacket sp1.

Just sayin'...
    Did you say blade sp2 is undexable? It's definitely dexable.
    Doesn't the stream of bullets make it impossible to dex?
  • TheTalentsTheTalents Posts: 2,254 ★★★★★
    Personally I think the mechanic is super weird but I quaked or Aegoned the whole thing so far. I think Corvus is really good for this as well. So not too bad, I've seen worse nodes.
  • saorpssaorps Posts: 81
    I continue hating new mechanic.
    The game has already sufficient difficulty, there is no need to add more.
    Last month secondary event was not one players loved. Now this...
    edited November 2020
    HI_guys said:

HI_guys said:

7or7 said:

Just sayin'...
    See this is the thing. I can Dex some that you can't and you can dex some that I can't. You say impossible which is objectively false. This is the fear most have with this node. I can't for the life of mine Dex Yellowjacket from close range. But others can. And for those who can't this root node becomes a death sentence
    I stand corrected, Blade's second part of his SP2 is fully evadable. Doesn't change the fact that a lot of the attacks on the list above are still manageable with Root.
    saorps said:

I continue hating new mechanic.
    The game has already sufficient difficulty, there is no need to add more.
    Last month secondary event was not one players loved. Now this...

Oh no! The game shouldn't get too difficult :(

How are you supposed to challenge the more experienced players, then?
  • grud9egrud9e Posts: 85
    I parried antmans first heavy hit and was then rooted for about 20 seconds while antman threw combos, dashed back, etc., and launched sp3. After sp3 animation I was unrooted.

Thanks Kabam.
  • Campo4Campo4 Posts: 141
    I don't really have strong opinions about root. But I'm not sure it really adds anything meaningful to the game in the two nodes we've seen so far.

There are interactions like OG Black Widow's heavy attack which is very difficult to evade while rooted yesterday which is fine, but also since she has evade chance and your parries often fail, you're left to basically intercept to get openings since block baiting heavies is now dangerous. That was the only fight that was a little annoying for me.

Some cool things about it are the ability to punish specials that you normally wouldn't be able to, and it has some fun interactions with champs like Tigra who rely on spacing.

I wonder if there could be a node design where you are to perform various tasks during the fight that would prevent you from being rooted if you complete them successfully. For example, "So Sayeth Doom" and the Grandmaster fight has such prompts. If you complete the tasks, you can avoid being rooted. However, you can also intentionally not complete the tasks if being rooted is advantageous for whatever reason. That puts a lot of control in the players hands which is always fun.
  • altavistaaltavista Posts: 1,281 ★★★★
    Seems a little glitchy to me. Sometimes I will be locked out of any inputs when it activates (Example: I try to parry, but it doesn't register so I get hit in the face).

It makes avoiding multi hit specials/heavies harder. And when your 2020 new champions have far reaching, multi-hit specials (Tigra, Black Widow Deadly Origins, Mole Man, Sasquatch, etc), it makes everything a lot harder without being more fun.

As a bit of an aside - Tigra benefits from spacing (unblockable, etc). Root seems like it both helps and hurts her depending on if she is on offense / defense. That is one champion that I can think of so far, where Root will have unintended interactions.
  • KnightZeroKnightZero Posts: 1,413 ★★★★★

HI_guys said:

HI_guys said:

7or7 said:

Just sayin'...
    See this is the thing. I can Dex some that you can't and you can dex some that I can't. You say impossible which is objectively false. This is the fear most have with this node. I can't for the life of mine Dex Yellowjacket from close range. But others can. And for those who can't this root node becomes a death sentence
    I stand corrected, Blade's second part of his SP2 is fully evadable. Doesn't change the fact that a lot of the attacks on the list above are still manageable with Root.
    You cut out less than half. And those are probably one's that you might be comfortable with. Not everyone. Even top players have stuff they're not comfortable with which others may do. Its subjective. I'm not 100% against Root, but it does pose a lot of issues which need to be taken into consideration.
  • EtjamaEtjama Posts: 7,981 ★★★★★
    This version is broken. First of all, the timer is all wrong and it's really throwing me off. Second of all, the root description says you're supposed to be able to attack. But distancing won't actually let you. All your attacks whiff when you try to attack them after you've parried.
  • Fred_JoeityFred_Joeity Posts: 1,168 ★★★
    Ummm... is it just me or are you unable to attack while rooted? I got hit with Root halfway through my combo and all my attacks whiffed. Got killed 3 times because of this. Is this a bug or am I just being stupid?
    Ok so after a few revives worth of testing, it seems like medium attacks are fine-ish, but light attacks will always whiff. So basically if you get hit with the timer you can’t really do anything except dex for 10 seconds since a 2 combo isn’t really consistent enough to risk (in case you accidentally use a light instead of a medium).
    edited November 2020
    Not really a fan of this. I didn’t think it was a good idea from the beginning, but putting a timer on it is even worse since you’re forced to fight aggressive against defenders where you’re supposed to fight more defensively
    Also as a side note, Root seems to slow your device for a bit when it’s activated, but that just might be me
  • OneMast3rOneMast3r Posts: 331 ★★
    I thought root on specials wasn't good enough to have as a mechanic.

Root on heavy does make it a little harder. Most people are used to dashing back so some of the heavies aren't etched in your brain.