**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Magneto name is MAX not Eric, Kabam pull "facts" from the movies?

13»

Comments

• The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,779 ★★★★★
    OP should go and read some comics
  • abqberabqber Posts: 230 ★★

• phil56201phil56201 Posts: 953 ★★★
    edited November 2020
    Belfigor2 said:

Magneto name is Max Eisenhardt as most fans know, so why are they calling him Eric in the EQ ?
    long ago before the reveal it was hinted Magneto name might be Magnus, but then they revealed it was Max so why is Kabam using facts from the x men movies instead of perhaps using marvel facts like the official handbook of the marvel universe?

In the comics, it was inferred that Magneto's real name was Magnus. In 1993, in X-Men Unlimited #2 I believe, right before the Fatal Attractions storyline it's revealed that his name is Erik Magnus Lehnsherr. In X-men 72 from 1998 it is revealed that that identity (Lehnsherr) was a forged identity from the time he was hiding with the gypsies. He would identify as Magnus only going forward. When the movies came out, Erik Lehnsherr was the only name that was associated with Magneto, so that's what they went with.

It wasn't until 2009's Magneto Testament limited series that his birth name was retconned to Max Eisenhardt. So it's a relatively new thing , not a long term established name for Magneto to long time comic fans.

• Belfigor2 said:

Belfigor2 said:

Belfigor2 said:

Mauled said:

I’ve never read a comic in my life, my connection with this game is the movies so that’s my bible.

I hope you dont think Egypt look like it after Transformer 2 then :p
    movies are just for fun, the writers cant stay within the facts that are written in stone it seem
    Different universes, different facts. Is it really that big of a deal?
    In my book the movies does not matter, nothing in them counts, as I said, they are just for fun, so if Kabam took facts from the movies it would be like if a surgeon looked at pewdiepie(or any other random youtuber) on how to remove a kidney and did it that way :P

If it is a mistake, then that is fine, but I really dont want them to start bringing in "facts" from the movies.
    the comics are just for fun! And even in the comics they call him Erik!
    yea the comic books are for fun, but they are often factual which the movies never are
    Says who? You?

You seem to think that the movies are something separate from the comic books and "Marvel" gets to decide what is authoritative. Take a guess who is the current Chief Creative Officer of Marvel Entertainment - meaning, the comic books and all related properties including (if I understand correctly) video game licensing of the Marvel IP.

Kevin Fiege.

Kevin Fiege, the singular authority for all of the MCU movies, also happens to be the final authority on all things content-related in the entire Marvel Universe. If Kevin Feige says the MCU takes place in an authoritative alternate reality of the greater Marvel Universe, that is *canonical*. Furthermore, the creative works in Marvel Contest of Champions are authorized from Marvel Entertainment, and thus it is Marvel itself that says the contents of MCOC are *canonically true* in the greater Marvel Universe.

I'm afraid your appeal to authority doesn't have a leg to stand on, because all the actual authorities disagree with you. Kabam works with actual comic book writers. Their work is authorized as part of the licensed IP of the Marvel Universe by Marvel Entertainment. And the guy that basically has the final say in Marvel Entertainment's IP also has the final say in the Marvel movies.

And you're arguing what's true and not true in an alternate universe of the greater Marvel Universe, which is completely nonsensical. That's no different than saying the Nick Fury in the Ultimates comics was "wrong" because he wasn't a white guy that fought in World War 2.
  • HI_guys said:

DNA3000 said:

Kevin Fiege, the singular authority for all of the MCU movies, also happens to be the final authority on all things content-related in the entire Marvel Universe.
    That doesn't need be true.
    Not sure what you mean by "need" to be true but it is true. When he was made Chief Creative Officer reports were that the president of Marvel Entertainment would report directly to him. This was done *explicitly* to improve coordination between Marvel Studios, which Feige originally ran, and the rest of the Marvel Entertainment IP.

Originally, Feige reported to the president of Marvel. Post-Disney acquisition Marvel Studios was removed from Marvel Entertainment and Feige was placed in charge, reporting not to Marvel but to Disney Studios (which now made Feige just two hops from Disney's president). This was done to give Feige more autonomy, and get him out from under the control of Marvel. And now Feige is essentially been placed in charge of all of Marvel, with Marvel Studios and Marvel Entertainment both reporting directly to him.

And everyone knows why. The Marvel movies now drive the IP. Disney doesn't want the comic books going off in one direction and the movies in a totally different direction. They want at least some smooth coordination between them. And they've decided which side gets the final say. I'm pretty sure Feige doesn't concern himself with the day to day creative decisions being made at Marvel.

I should point out that when Joe Quesada was promoted to the position of Chief Creative Officer, this is how Marvel described the position and its role in their press release:
    In this new role, Mr. Quesada will work alongside Alan Fine, Executive Vice President, Office of the President and Chairman of Marvel Studios' Creative Committee, to ensure that all portrayals of Marvel's characters and storytelling remain true to the essence of Marvel's rich history. Additionally, Mr. Quesada will provide creative oversight of all areas of Marvel's business including theatrical, television, publishing, animation and games, while also actively participating in all story and script development for Marvel's films and animation.
    This is the position Kevin Feige officially holds now with Marvel Entertainment, with the additional caveat that on the org chart all those other guys listed fall under his authority.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,864 ★★★★★

Really dying on this hill aren’t you?

It's amazing to watch. OP isn't even reading the X-Men series at all and takes issue with the name Erik. Imagine if OP knew that Karnak requires Skill.and Cosmic cats to rank.
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,795 ★★★★★

Really dying on this hill aren’t you?

It's amazing to watch. OP isn't even reading the X-Men series at all and takes issue with the name Erik. Imagine if OP knew that Karnak requires Skill.and Cosmic cats to rank.
    the hill will be absolutely coated in red
  • BlackTuranBlackTuran Posts: 642 ★★★
    Belfigor2 said:

Belfigor2 said:

Belfigor2 said:

Mauled said:

I’ve never read a comic in my life, my connection with this game is the movies so that’s my bible.

movies are just for fun, the writers cant stay within the facts that are written in stone it seem
    In my book the movies does not matter, nothing in them counts, as I said, they are just for fun, so if Kabam took facts from the movies it would be like if a surgeon looked at pewdiepie(or any other random youtuber) on how to remove a kidney and did it that way :P

If it is a mistake, then that is fine, but I really dont want them to start bringing in "facts" from the movies.
    yea the comic books are for fun, but they are often factual which the movies never are
    Comic books are actually fictional, not factual. the game universe is different than the comic universe so they could have called him Kyle if they wanted and it would be valid
  • Raichu626Raichu626 Posts: 934 ★★★★
    Belfigor2 said:

Belfigor2 said:

Belfigor2 said:

Belfigor2 said:

Mauled said:

I showed you the proof still you are arguing needlessly.
    what is the authors name? as mentioned im not up to date with xmen, but not all writers know the complete history of what they are writing about.
    and im not arguing with you lol
    it is a conversation.....people can still have a conversation in 2020? ;o

edit::
    I mostly read my official hand books of the marvel universe when im on the toilets, which are pure facts which sometimes even some writers ignore
    Dude... these are purely fictional. There are no X-Men. There is no Santa Claus. There is no Tooth fairy. They don't exist. What is and is not fact, depends entirely on the author.

Athena turned Arachne into a spider out of pure jealousy for Arachne's outstanding talent. But Athena also turned Arachne into a spider as punishment for disrespecting her audience and the gods.

These are "facts", but they're contradictory. Arachne can't both be right and wrong at the same time. Does that mean one version of the story is less true, less factual, than the other? Of course not, they're equally true; not at all.

What is and isn't "true" in any story depens exclusively on the author, no matter who that is. None of it ever really happened. There is no true version.

Depending on the author, the X-Men will call Magneto "Erik", because he'll go by that name at that time. That doesn't mean the authors are somehow wrong
  • phil56201phil56201 Posts: 953 ★★★
    HI_guys said:

Belfigor2 said:

TP33 said:

He is always Erik to me. I didn’t read the comics just watched the movies. Erik Lehnsherr is the Magneto. Idc if it’s something else in the comics.

Comic books are the facts, movies are michael bay versions of the comics
    " Hey look at me I read comics I'm superior to all of you".

Look, I love comics but you don't have to be an ....
    Well, he didn't really even get it right anyway, so
    Bugmat78 said:

phil56201 said:

Belfigor2 said:

Magneto name is Max Eisenhardt as most fans know, so why are they calling him Eric in the EQ ?
    long ago before the reveal it was hinted Magneto name might be Magnus, but then they revealed it was Max so why is Kabam using facts from the x men movies instead of perhaps using marvel facts like the official handbook of the marvel universe?

In the comics, it was inferred that Magneto's real name was Magnus. In 1993, in X-Men Unlimited #2 I believe, right before the Fatal Attractions storyline it's revealed that his name is Erik Magnus Lehnsherr. In X-men 72 from 1998 it is revealed that that identity (Lehnsherr) was a forged identity from the time he was hiding with the gypsies. He would identify as Magnus only going forward. When the movies came out, Erik Lehnsherr was the only name that was associated with Magneto, so that's what they went with.

It wasn't until 2009's Magneto Testament limited series that his birth name was retconned to Max Eisenhardt. So it's a relatively new thing , not a long term established name for Magneto to long time comic fans.

Thanks for clearing that up - I stopped reading comics religiously in the early 00s (university stepped in to my budget), so my memories of X-me from the 80s & 90s was of magneto being called Magnus & Erik Lehnsherr.

This is an amazingly amusing thread btw - OP won't quit :D
    No problem. I was heavy into X-men back in the day especially when the animated series debuted. That was the same time that Magneto's name was revealed. Or at least what we were led to believe was his real name at that time.

The amusing part is, that the OP is criticizing the game for not being comic accurate, when if he had actually been reading the comics, and not just getting the info from Wikipedia or wherever, he would understand why the movies used the name it did.

Erik Lehnsherr has been his established name for so long and that's why Magneto is more known to comic readers and the movie going fanbase as Erik Lehnsherr and not Max Eisenhardt, which is a retcon that is barely 10 years old.

• slackerslacker Posts: 772 ★★★★
    abqber said:

Wait a second, so all the past years he meme bc he fighting and let the rage suppass and his buffed version is the time he is focus and calm down !?
  • Wubbie075Wubbie075 Posts: 734 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

And everyone knows why. The Marvel movies now drive the IP. Disney doesn't want the comic books going off in one direction and the movies in a totally different direction. They want at least some smooth coordination between them. And they've decided which side gets the final say. I'm pretty sure Feige doesn't concern himself with the day to day creative decisions being made at Marvel.

And also remember that Fantastic Four literally got cancelled and X-Men were being sidelined in favor of Inhumans because Marvel did not have their movie rights.

My legal name is Paul, but way more people call me Wubbie. And my signature is completely illegible and has little relation to either name. I answer to both, but actually prefer Wubbie. So, which is my "real" name?
  • tidusx2jrtidusx2jr Posts: 182 ★★
    Belfigor2 said:

TP33 said:

He is always Erik to me. I didn’t read the comics just watched the movies. Erik Lehnsherr is the Magneto. Idc if it’s something else in the comics.

Comic books are the facts, movies are michael bay versions of the comics
    Actually comic books are fiction. Just because you prefer them over the movie versions doesn't mean they are facts..
  • Player1994Player1994 Posts: 793 ★★★
    Movies are way Famous than Comics

Simple as that Also Max sounds pretty bad for mag lol

they did him a favor in the movie
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★

The universe of Marvel Contest of Champions is not based on any one source material. It is heavily inspired by many sources, including the Comics, Film, and Television. The Contest exists in its own Universe, and while something may be true in one universe, it may not be here.

PS. This Event Quest was written by a very accomplished and notable write of Marvel Comics :wink:

RIP Stan Lee.