**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

That arena was too much

Raichu626Raichu626 Posts: 934 ★★★★
I just finished the 6* shard arena. It is the only one of the shard arenas I've done this week. After the first few milestones I pulled a 6* Cull Obsidian, so I'd like to say right now: I'm not mad about a bad crystal pull. Best 6* I pulled since about february, which peaked my 6* pulls with Stealthy.

My problem with the arena is that I barely got it done before it was over and had no time to do the others. Sure, I could've done it faster if I sunk my whole life into the game for a week. Last time this kind of arena was present, I was able to do both the 4* and the 5* shard arena, go to my second account that I occasionally play with and grind out the 4* and part of the 5* arena as well. This week, my second account got nothing at all.

Put a bit more clearly, I dislike the exclusivity of this arena. It was either get 5k 6* shards and no other shards, or get the 5* shards for both accounts but no/very little 6* for the main. It wasn't possible for me to complete both, and that just left a sour taste in my mouth. I know this was probably intentional, it wasn't the plan to hand out 5k 6* shards for little effort. But I'm not a fan of the way this was done. No matter what I would've done this week, I'd have felt like I was losing out on something. Not a good feeling...

Comments

• AzKicker316AzKicker316 Posts: 2,264 ★★★★★
    edited December 2020
    It all depends on your own schedule and roster. I did the featured 5 and 6 shards arena and finished in 3 days. I then did the 5 shard arena and featured 5 again. I hit at least 25M in each featured.
  • danielmathdanielmath Posts: 4,045 ★★★★★
    it was like 230 rounds in 7 days? when people go for 5* featured those are often 500+ rounds in 3 days
  • StevieManWonderStevieManWonder Posts: 5,017 ★★★★★
    I got put on mandatory quarantine from my work, so I was able to sit down and get the six star shards arena done, but not the five star. I guess I can understand why the six star shard arena wasn’t boosted but why the hell wasn’t the five star one boosted? It’s always been boosted?
  • I didnt do it. Other arenas require lesser time and commitment, i can just skip it. Not going to go crazy for a handful of 6* shards. or 5* shards.
  • OdachiOdachi Posts: 1,069 ★★★★
    Can't try to make a statement like that when it starts with something as dirty as saying cull is bad. That's just wrong.
  • Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    I did the 6*, 5* and 4* star arena. It wasn't fun at all. Next year it needs to be more humane.
  • GamerGamer Posts: 10,168 ★★★★★

I got put on mandatory quarantine from my work, so I was able to sit down and get the six star shards arena done, but not the five star. I guess I can understand why the six star shard arena wasn’t boosted but why the hell wasn’t the five star one boosted? It’s always been boosted?

The 6 star was bosste to just that e didn’t se it because it take so long to do it
  • FallencircusFallencircus Posts: 339 ★★★
    I pulled a Green Goblin from the featured, but that is the gamble that keeps me coming back...I need help
  • Nameless_IWNameless_IW Posts: 980 ★★★★
    kabam value and overvalue and overprice 6* shards way too much thats why they wanted us to run 250 rounds with our 2* to be one of the few to obtain those 5k 6* shards. i only ran 3 rounds cause i DID NOT find any FUN factor in running 2* in the arena, let alone 250+ rounds LOL.
  • Raichu626Raichu626 Posts: 934 ★★★★
    Odachi said:

Can't try to make a statement like that when it starts with something as dirty as saying cull is bad. That's just wrong.

What? I said that Cull was good. I only brought up that I pulled him as proof that I wasn't salty because I pulled some bad champ. Because I didn't want to have comments saying that I was just mad because I'd pulled a dud.

Me pulling a bad champ is not the reason I dislike the arena, because I didn't pull a bad champ...
  • Raichu626Raichu626 Posts: 934 ★★★★
    edited December 2020

it was like 230 rounds in 7 days? when people go for 5* featured those are often 500+ rounds in 3 days

Yes, and those people are clinically insane and don't have a life outside of this game.

This was sarcasm, but just because a tiny group of people are ready to put this much time and effort into arena, doesn't make it a metric for how many rounds are too many for the whole playerbase
  • ElhadjeeElhadjee Posts: 61
    Hmm I did all the arenas +6* and 250k in 5* (which got me 3.3k units) + variant 6 and act 7. I guess I am a no lifer.
  • Doctorwho13Doctorwho13 Posts: 594 ★★★
    Raichu626 said:

Yes, and those people are clinically insane and don't have a life outside of this game.

This was sarcasm, but just because a tiny group of people are ready to put this much time and effort into arena, doesn't make it a metric for how many rounds are too many for the whole playerbase
    Honestly. The only way kabam would change it is if people didn’t do it. Then it would be difficult running it if only say 5% were doing it. Some needed 5000 shards. Some needed 1000. I believe there expectation was that people would run it as they needed.

It’s very inclusionary all things considered. Every one has 2* but not everyone has a developed 5 or 6 roster. Provens and conquerors got half way to a 6 if they wanted. It’s hard to put a time value on that.
  • Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★
    yeah it definitely didn't feel like a celebration, but if they boost scores then ya might as well hand em out for free which they probably don't want to do.
  • J0eySn0wJ0eySn0w Posts: 865 ★★★★
    edited December 2020
    When I saw the 2star arena for 5 & 6 star shards, I was like sweet. Went in, did about 4-5 rounds, saw the points I was getting just to reach the first milestone of the 6star shards and spat on the ground (just in ma head) and threw my phone somewhere. I got better things I could use that time for (even in the game).

I guess those arenas wasn’t for everyone, definitely not me. Imagine wasting all that time only to pull a Cyclops or Groot.. and hope they get buffed a year or 2 later.
    I just didn’t care about those shards, so won’t sweat like that for it. Those who did might go for it, that’s their business. Lol
  • TendersquadTendersquad Posts: 193
    I personally didnt find it that bad. It started last Thursday and I didnt even jump on it as there was so much else to get done. Was gone almost all weekend and then started it Sunday night. I finished all 3 2* arenas by Wednesday afternoon. I was driven by the free 6*s for doing arena, coupled with gold boost and BC boost. Not to mention I'm a collector, I was pushing for the 1/2 * crystals and I guess it made it easier since I have over 110 2*s that are all maxed out, racked up points alot quicker. I didnt feel like I had no life while doing it....
  • SatsuiNoHadouSatsuiNoHadou Posts: 753 ★★★
    I’ll admit it was a chore, but what motivated me to get both arenas done we’re not only the 5/6* shards up for grabs, but also the knowledge that as I grinded I would also get 20% more BC along the way which I used to open uncollected arena crystals before the celebration timer ended. It was well worth the effort with the gold and units I got on top of the 5000 6* shards and 10k 5* shards.

Before these arenas was sitting on 2.5k units, after the arenas I’m now on 5k units. All in all a huge effort but the rewards were commensurate.
  • Raichu626 said:

I just finished the 6* shard arena. It is the only one of the shard arenas I've done this week. After the first few milestones I pulled a 6* Cull Obsidian, so I'd like to say right now: I'm not mad about a bad crystal pull. Best 6* I pulled since about february, which peaked my 6* pulls with Stealthy.

My problem with the arena is that I barely got it done before it was over and had no time to do the others. Sure, I could've done it faster if I sunk my whole life into the game for a week. Last time this kind of arena was present, I was able to do both the 4* and the 5* shard arena, go to my second account that I occasionally play with and grind out the 4* and part of the 5* arena as well. This week, my second account got nothing at all.

Put a bit more clearly, I dislike the exclusivity of this arena. It was either get 5k 6* shards and no other shards, or get the 5* shards for both accounts but no/very little 6* for the main. It wasn't possible for me to complete both, and that just left a sour taste in my mouth. I know this was probably intentional, it wasn't the plan to hand out 5k 6* shards for little effort. But I'm not a fan of the way this was done. No matter what I would've done this week, I'd have felt like I was losing out on something. Not a good feeling...

Not everyone likes, or even tolerates grinding in the arena. But that's true for every game mode. For complex reasons I've discussed in the past, I don't do high tier war or high map AQ. In terms of roster and skill, those things are achievable on paper, but I choose not to do them because they would greatly interfere with my overall enjoyment of the game. As a result, I pass on a boat load of rewards. Vastly more rewards than show up in special arenas like this.

I can choose to feel bad about "loosing" those rewards, or I can choose to feel good about the fact that the game offers choices to players: people who love arena but hate war can still grind out a significant amount of rewards that help them advance in the game, while people who hate arena but love alliance content can jump into a Map 7/Platinum alliance and get a ton of rewards without the grind doing what they find more fun. And casual players that just want to do solo monthly content can do that also, and ignore the rat race completely.

Long grind arenas are like high map AQ or high tier war or high difficulty challenge content, in that it appeals to some players and not to others. In fact, probably more people don't like any of those things than like them: most people don't like high tier competitive war, most players don't like Map 6 or 7 AQ, and most players can't even do the high skill challenge content. But most people can do at least one of them. The question is whether you can appreciate the game for what it gives you, and also appreciate the fact that most of the other people playing the game probably are only here because of other parts of the game that you don't like as much.

To address your specific observation, what I think most people who actually do enjoy grinding in the arena like most about the arena is that it directly rewards effort. If you want more, you can just do more. It is the one part of the game in which your rewards are not capped by completion limits. Even to the extent that some rewards do have limits, those limits are very high, so for most people they don't exist. The arena scales with effort. But that means if you can put almost unlimited effort into it for more and more rewards, it also means you can't always get everything in multiple accounts, or sometimes even one account. The arena appeals to grinders, but not completists (unless you're a grinder that can complete everything you want consistently). For some people, that's annoying. But for the people that game mode targets, that's appealing.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,242 ★★★★★
    I honestly can't look at it with any reasonable logic as too much. It was tedious, but a week was enough time. I had other things going on, so I only did 1.8 Mil, regrettably. In terms of too much, it was 2*s vs. 2*s. Not daunting. It just took time.
  • DaddriedaDaddrieda Posts: 1,568 ★★★★
    it was tedious, but i had an week and didn't complete it. i feel stupid as it was free 6* shards. i asked myself '' any difference when i do the other arena milestones for units and ISO from those PHC and never minded it, but now i do with this 1 week arena? weird''
  • Big_eggyBig_eggy Posts: 117

Raichu626 said:

Honestly. The only way kabam would change it is if people didn’t do it. Then it would be difficult running it if only say 5% were doing it. Some needed 5000 shards. Some needed 1000. I believe there expectation was that people would run it as they needed.

It’s very inclusionary all things considered. Every one has 2* but not everyone has a developed 5 or 6 roster. Provens and conquerors got half way to a 6 if they wanted. It’s hard to put a time value on that.
    They can’t do the 6* arena. Only UC+.
  • SatsuiNoHadouSatsuiNoHadou Posts: 753 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Raichu626 said:

Not everyone likes, or even tolerates grinding in the arena. But that's true for every game mode. For complex reasons I've discussed in the past, I don't do high tier war or high map AQ. In terms of roster and skill, those things are achievable on paper, but I choose not to do them because they would greatly interfere with my overall enjoyment of the game. As a result, I pass on a boat load of rewards. Vastly more rewards than show up in special arenas like this.

I can choose to feel bad about "loosing" those rewards, or I can choose to feel good about the fact that the game offers choices to players: people who love arena but hate war can still grind out a significant amount of rewards that help them advance in the game, while people who hate arena but love alliance content can jump into a Map 7/Platinum alliance and get a ton of rewards without the grind doing what they find more fun. And casual players that just want to do solo monthly content can do that also, and ignore the rat race completely.

Long grind arenas are like high map AQ or high tier war or high difficulty challenge content, in that it appeals to some players and not to others. In fact, probably more people don't like any of those things than like them: most people don't like high tier competitive war, most players don't like Map 6 or 7 AQ, and most players can't even do the high skill challenge content. But most people can do at least one of them. The question is whether you can appreciate the game for what it gives you, and also appreciate the fact that most of the other people playing the game probably are only here because of other parts of the game that you don't like as much.

To address your specific observation, what I think most people who actually do enjoy grinding in the arena like most about the arena is that it directly rewards effort. If you want more, you can just do more. It is the one part of the game in which your rewards are not capped by completion limits. Even to the extent that some rewards do have limits, those limits are very high, so for most people they don't exist. The arena scales with effort. But that means if you can put almost unlimited effort into it for more and more rewards, it also means you can't always get everything in multiple accounts, or sometimes even one account. The arena appeals to grinders, but not completists (unless you're a grinder that can complete everything you want consistently). For some people, that's annoying. But for the people that game mode targets, that's appealing.
    I’d be interested to know why you feel this way about high map AQ. After all, you did mention that on paper you have the roster and skills to achieve it. Therefore, based on what I’ve read it’s quite difficult for me to fathom someone with the requisite skills and roster being put off by high map AQ as it would impinge on their level of game enjoyment. Your elaboration would be much appreciated.