Potential Delay to v44.1 Launch

We are currently working through some issues that may affect the release window of v44.1. This means that the update may not release on Monday as it usually does. We are working to resolve the issue holding us up as quickly as possible, but will keep you all updated, especially if the delay results in any changes to the content release schedule.
Options

Please don’t release another rarity

Comments

• Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

It'll be a year before someone has a rank 4 six star, and then we'll have to wait for rank 5 materials to be added, so prolly another year after that. And then they might release 7 star champs.

Exactly, this is far future stuff, by which time people will feel very different
  • Options
    TheTalentsTheTalents Posts: 2,254 ★★★★★

Kerneas said:

It's not the time yet. I mean technically yes, r1 7* would equal a max 5*, with 7* r2 equalling r3 6*, but the content we have available atm is moderately difficult with 5*r5 and easy peasy with r3 6*s.

Imho, before 7*s get released, we need some new content where they'd make sense to be used

People are talking like 7* are confirmed in the next few months. We are talking likely at least a year before the announcement, and the announcement will be months before the actual release. This is a far future option, when act 7 and abyss is a distant memory
    Well if they are releasing 7 stars that would actually make a lot of sense on why content has been so dry since 7.1 dropped. I just think r4 6 stars are completely pointless and 7 stars are even worse because there is no content to justify its birth. r4 6 stars would pretty much ensure that we can solo all the abyss matches that are currently available and that's our most difficult content outside of act 6 which has already been nerfed.
    It’ll be a while until rank 4s are here, until then, we may get a lot of content they are necessary in. Again, people are acting like 6 r4s will be here in the next month or two
    It'll be less than a year away and I still think that's inappropriate. So yes, I'm talking as though its less than a year away and it is. We still have a whole July 4th, black Friday and gifting event and it will certainly be here by Dec's gifting event. No one said one or two months away except you.
    How do you know there won’t be any content to use 6 r4s on before they are here?
    There may be content for r4 6 stars by then but how much will it be though? To me not enough to justify it being released. We're already in April and December is what 8 months away? How many pieces of content will come out between now and then? You tell me. They would have to drop some serious material and based on the 7.2 beta its not coming from there either.
  • Options
    manveertherealmanveerthereal Posts: 1,359 ★★★
    IKON said:

Well, when we have R5 6*, what's the next way to progress then? If you don't have another level of progression, you basically have ended the game.

@IKON they could add higher ranks i just dont fw 7* characters
  • Options
    ChaosMax1012ChaosMax1012 Posts: 3,090 ★★★★★
    FineDog said:

MikeHock said:

When 7* come, I’m done. I have 0 desire to collect all the same champs AGAIN as 7* after 6+ years.

At that point they might as well come out with MCOC 2

I'm not a game designer and I'm only recently Cavalier, so I'm a long way off from caring much about this issue, but I think this is probably the right idea. I play looter/shooter games like Borderlands, and one of the fun things about that genre is there's lots of gear that does interesting things, right? But then they raise the level cap every few months and your god-tier, meta-quality gun becomes outdated and the solution is to chase...the exact same gun but with slightly better stats. This is when the game gets boring and you check out for a few years until the next one in the series comes out and there are new graphics, new mechanics, and other things that make the game feel fresh.

I may only be Cavalier but I've been playing this game since 2016 and I've invested quite a lot of time into it, so if Kabam decided they were going to continue maintaining MCOC but switch focus to MCOC 2, I would probably be pretty bummed that all my effort was coming to an end, but I also don't know how happy I'll be if five years from now I'm opening another 8* Iron Patriot in my fruitless quest for the right champs to get through Variant 19. I think they can keep MCOC fresh without just launching a new game entirely, but the solution probably isn't endless power creep and will require something more creative that I can't think of because I'm not a game designer.
    Ok but here’s the difference. Th

Kerneas said:

It's not the time yet. I mean technically yes, r1 7* would equal a max 5*, with 7* r2 equalling r3 6*, but the content we have available atm is moderately difficult with 5*r5 and easy peasy with r3 6*s.

Imho, before 7*s get released, we need some new content where they'd make sense to be used

People are talking like 7* are confirmed in the next few months. We are talking likely at least a year before the announcement, and the announcement will be months before the actual release. This is a far future option, when act 7 and abyss is a distant memory
    Well if they are releasing 7 stars that would actually make a lot of sense on why content has been so dry since 7.1 dropped. I just think r4 6 stars are completely pointless and 7 stars are even worse because there is no content to justify its birth. r4 6 stars would pretty much ensure that we can solo all the abyss matches that are currently available and that's our most difficult content outside of act 6 which has already been nerfed.
    It’ll be a while until rank 4s are here, until then, we may get a lot of content they are necessary in. Again, people are acting like 6 r4s will be here in the next month or two
    It'll be less than a year away and I still think that's inappropriate. So yes, I'm talking as though its less than a year away and it is. We still have a whole July 4th, black Friday and gifting event and it will certainly be here by Dec's gifting event. No one said one or two months away except you.
    How do you know there won’t be any content to use 6 r4s on before they are here?
    There may be content for r4 6 stars by then but how much will it be though? To me not enough to justify it being released. We're already in April and December is what 8 months away? How many pieces of content will come out between now and then? You tell me. They would have to drop some serious material and based on the 7.2 beta its not coming from there either.
    Abyss has been out for a while now, so they can release the next long content soon
  • Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

Kerneas said:

Like @DNA3000 said, some lower players would want rank 4s to help with abyss, act 6 and 7 etc. Why is it bad for them to get a higher ceiling to help with their content?

The top players in the game could complete abyss with rank 1s, could do act 7 with 5* rank 3s, could do act 6 with 5* rank 5s. Why does any content *need* higher ranks? To make it more accessible and more fun.
  • Options

Kerneas said:

Like @DNA3000 said, some lower players would want rank 4s to help with abyss, act 6 and 7 etc. Why is it bad for them to get a higher ceiling to help with their content?

The top players in the game could complete abyss with rank 1s, could do act 7 with 5* rank 3s, could do act 6 with 5* rank 5s. Why does any content *need* higher ranks? To make it more accessible and more fun.
    When R4 6 stars get released Abyss and act 6&7 will still be here whether that's tomorrow or a couple years from now. Why do they need the higher champions so soon if you want to flip it, how about they learn to use the champions we have now that are fully capable of completing the content?
  • Options
    Kevo9513Kevo9513 Posts: 356 ★★

Mark my words, bringing out 7 stars will kill this game, it'll make everybody who have spent so my time and real life money on to develop their 6 star roster look like fools, and trust me 80 percent of the community will quit, I know I would quit.

People still use 5*s even with r3 6*s.

7*s arent going to be the end of 6*s but maybe the start of the end of 5*s

For higher tier players atleast
  • Options
    LibertyPrimeV1LibertyPrimeV1 Posts: 4,179 ★★★★★
    I think at the time we get around to 7 Stars there would need to be a Full Revamp to the Base Fighting Mechanics for the game to not inevitably stagnate...
    Cause all things considered Mcoc's Core Gameplay is Fairly Simple consisting of 5 Tap Combos, 3 Special Attacks built up to with a Single Power Meter, Blocking/Dashing Back for Defense, and don't let your Health reach 0.

We've already seen some hints of Reinvigorating Gameplay Mechanics that are being worked on in the Roadmap with that Tag In Button that many Fighting Games have where you Call upon a Teammate to help you in a Combo or Special Attack but not switch to them as the Playable Character.

Beyond that it'd be interesting to see more Customization to the Fighting Styles of your chosen Champion, while still keeping Individual Champion Abilities Unique. So don't give every Champion the possibility to obtain Thorns Abilities like Electro's, but have Combo Sets that when Activated give you a Bonus of some chosen type and the Higher your Star Rating and Rank unlocks more Choosable Bonus'.

Just spitting ideas here but my main point is the gameplay itself is quite simple and probably can't stay the same forever or else people will simply get bored, but whatever change is made needs to be made to the Base Mechanics that'll affect Everything and not just some new Node or a Special Attack 4.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,268 ★★★★★
    I'm down for 7*s someday. Perhaps not immediately.
  • Options
    Agent_X_zzzAgent_X_zzz Posts: 4,494 ★★★★★
    I want 7*s to come out eventually, but I want them to come out at the right time, not for kabam to make a quick buck.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,704 Guardian

DNA3000 said:

Kerneas said:

Rank 4s mean different things to different people. For the top players, it probably just means more fuel for the prestige race and alliance war competition. For other players, it is still a significant power increase that matters. I'm not doing the Abyss with my eyes closed with rank 3s. For me, r4s would make content easier in theory. But I'm also not likely to get an R4 on day one either.

The day one players will only get prestige and war fuel. But for those players, that still matters. Six months later the tier 2 players, where I probably am, will be getting R4s and for us that increase in power would still be meaningful. And then a year or two later, the average players will be getting those R4s to help them in things like Act 6 and 7, where they still struggle even with boosted R3s (if they even have them).

There will never be a lot of content that requires the highest tier champs played by the highest skilled players. So whether they introduce rank 4s tomorrow or a year from now, the one thing I can guarantee is that there won't be content that "needs it" at that time. It is the champs that come out first, and the content second. Or to be more specific, it is the content that comes out first, targeted at strong but not the strongest players who destroy the content with whatever roster they have. Then the champs come along that the majority of everyone else needs to chase to tackle that content.

To be candid, the highest tier everything is not meant to be used it is meant to be chased. Nobody cares if there's no content that "needs" R4s. That is immaterial. What matters is does anyone want to chase them. I suspect the R4 materials in the Spring Cleaning were in part an experiment to datamine how many players want to chase them so badly they would spend to get an almost meaningless amount of R4-related fragments. If that number is infinitesimally small, they know when people complain we're "overdue" for R4, that's an empty complaint. Conversely, if a lot of whales went after those offers then the devs know that the complaint "no one cares about R4 yet" is equally empty. The devs now have a better idea which of those more likely represents the state of the top.
    I completely disagree. First I'm not a top tier player skill wise yet I have all content done. I'm not a big spender, for context I only spend on July 4th, now Spring cleaning, and Black Friday. I do not spend on crystals at all and I still have 12.6k prestige. The game has been so stagnate recently I amassed enough units to complete abyss on a whim. If you go back and look at the original post for Abyss I said that I would complete 1 path when I get Aegon and then do the rest when R4 6 stars came out, very similar to your current plan actually. But seeing as though numerous content dropped to where I didn't need to use units I basically had no other alternative but to finish everything. So if I'm not challenged at my level, I can only imagine how people who are actually exceptional feel.

So this notion that needing content isn't necessary for r4's is ridiculous. At this current pace we will practically be able to auto fight end game content. (not literally but that's how it will feel) So I rather fix the issue now before r4's are introduced before we get to point of pure boredom.
    I would bet any amount of anything that the vast majority of all players do not think this. It doesn't matter how many do, or what they choose to call themselves when they do. If you've done everything completely already and feel that the existing rosters are already so powerful that no higher level of power would be useful, that's great for you. But the number of people for whom that is true is incredibly small. Anyone who could do that now could have easily blown through Act 6. Most people were not blowing through Act 6.

Also difficulty is not simple. I had literally no trouble with the OG 7.1 beta. And yet I still haven't fully explored every path in the live 7.1 beta. The difference being I was working very hard to test 7.1 at my maximum capability. But I don't play the game that way normally, because it is not enjoyable on a sustained basis. I could do OG 7.1 with rank 2s. But I'm going to be perfectly happy doing live 7.1 with rank 4s (assuming I don't fully explore it before they arrive).

We're not robots. Content doesn't just get automatically completed the moment it is possible to complete. If that were true I would also have everything done. But that's not how I play the game, and it is not how most people play the game. And that's really, really obvious just from observing players of the game. There are few ways easier to discover your opinion of the game is not universal than complain it is too easy. For every person who thinks that, there's a hundred prepared to explain why they are completely wrong.
  • Options
    Daphboy said:

I haven’t read through everything, so maybe someone mentioned this already. But what if 7* champs only came out as completely unique to the rarity, as in they are not available in any form other than 7*. I don’t mean adding the new champs to 7* crystals either. Keep the monthly 3-6* coming as well as a unique 7* every month even if it meant backing down to one “main” featured champ possibly.
    I dunno, that’s the only way I could see myself having any desire to chase a new rarity in the game.

For all that we love to talk about game balance and power creep and min/maxing, this game at its core is a collecting game. Most players are unwilling and not even capable of thinking about the game in terms of sophisticated power discussions. They just want to find and play Marvel champs. Locking a particular champ behind an end game wall of 7* rarity would be almost as bad as locking them behind paywalls, possibly worse. You can do that once or twice, have trophy champs here and there, but an entire rarity full of champs players will never see unless they reach the end game first and have access to that tier is probably extremely problematic for the game.

If this were primarily a PvP competitive game, and there was a presumption that everyone would eventually and quickly reach the end game where the "real" competition took place, that would probably be very workable. But here, I don't think that's worth the pain.
  • Options
    KnightZeroKnightZero Posts: 1,416 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Daphboy said:

I haven’t read through everything, so maybe someone mentioned this already. But what if 7* champs only came out as completely unique to the rarity, as in they are not available in any form other than 7*. I don’t mean adding the new champs to 7* crystals either. Keep the monthly 3-6* coming as well as a unique 7* every month even if it meant backing down to one “main” featured champ possibly.
    I dunno, that’s the only way I could see myself having any desire to chase a new rarity in the game.

For all that we love to talk about game balance and power creep and min/maxing, this game at its core is a collecting game. Most players are unwilling and not even capable of thinking about the game in terms of sophisticated power discussions. They just want to find and play Marvel champs. Locking a particular champ behind an end game wall of 7* rarity would be almost as bad as locking them behind paywalls, possibly worse. You can do that once or twice, have trophy champs here and there, but an entire rarity full of champs players will never see unless they reach the end game first and have access to that tier is probably extremely problematic for the game.

If this were primarily a PvP competitive game, and there was a presumption that everyone would eventually and quickly reach the end game where the "real" competition took place, that would probably be very workable. But here, I don't think that's worth the pain.
    I agree. But at the same time, spending years just to get the same champ that you already have at the lower level to max sig is just a mind numbingly boring thing. My issue is only with champs that require high sig. As is, the main reason as far as I think of limiting sig stones is prestige folks will spend for them. Would rather they figure something out for that tbh. I don't want 7* sigs when they come for free, but something could be done about champs that need high sig for proper usage. Getting to that point is painfully annoying.
  • Options
    TrashyPandaTrashyPanda Posts: 1,574 ★★★★★
    It's a trap that Kabam unwittingly set for themselves. Making the old irrelevant by boosting Attack and HP in the next Act, and then create a new boosted rarity.

It's a bit like Ash ditching all his Pokemon before moving to a new area. No wonder you keep losing, ya' dumb***.
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

Kerneas said:

Rank 4s mean different things to different people. For the top players, it probably just means more fuel for the prestige race and alliance war competition. For other players, it is still a significant power increase that matters. I'm not doing the Abyss with my eyes closed with rank 3s. For me, r4s would make content easier in theory. But I'm also not likely to get an R4 on day one either.

The day one players will only get prestige and war fuel. But for those players, that still matters. Six months later the tier 2 players, where I probably am, will be getting R4s and for us that increase in power would still be meaningful. And then a year or two later, the average players will be getting those R4s to help them in things like Act 6 and 7, where they still struggle even with boosted R3s (if they even have them).

There will never be a lot of content that requires the highest tier champs played by the highest skilled players. So whether they introduce rank 4s tomorrow or a year from now, the one thing I can guarantee is that there won't be content that "needs it" at that time. It is the champs that come out first, and the content second. Or to be more specific, it is the content that comes out first, targeted at strong but not the strongest players who destroy the content with whatever roster they have. Then the champs come along that the majority of everyone else needs to chase to tackle that content.

To be candid, the highest tier everything is not meant to be used it is meant to be chased. Nobody cares if there's no content that "needs" R4s. That is immaterial. What matters is does anyone want to chase them. I suspect the R4 materials in the Spring Cleaning were in part an experiment to datamine how many players want to chase them so badly they would spend to get an almost meaningless amount of R4-related fragments. If that number is infinitesimally small, they know when people complain we're "overdue" for R4, that's an empty complaint. Conversely, if a lot of whales went after those offers then the devs know that the complaint "no one cares about R4 yet" is equally empty. The devs now have a better idea which of those more likely represents the state of the top.
    I completely disagree. First I'm not a top tier player skill wise yet I have all content done. I'm not a big spender, for context I only spend on July 4th, now Spring cleaning, and Black Friday. I do not spend on crystals at all and I still have 12.6k prestige. The game has been so stagnate recently I amassed enough units to complete abyss on a whim. If you go back and look at the original post for Abyss I said that I would complete 1 path when I get Aegon and then do the rest when R4 6 stars came out, very similar to your current plan actually. But seeing as though numerous content dropped to where I didn't need to use units I basically had no other alternative but to finish everything. So if I'm not challenged at my level, I can only imagine how people who are actually exceptional feel.

So this notion that needing content isn't necessary for r4's is ridiculous. At this current pace we will practically be able to auto fight end game content. (not literally but that's how it will feel) So I rather fix the issue now before r4's are introduced before we get to point of pure boredom.
    I would bet any amount of anything that the vast majority of all players do not think this. It doesn't matter how many do, or what they choose to call themselves when they do. If you've done everything completely already and feel that the existing rosters are already so powerful that no higher level of power would be useful, that's great for you. But the number of people for whom that is true is incredibly small. Anyone who could do that now could have easily blown through Act 6. Most people were not blowing through Act 6.

Also difficulty is not simple. I had literally no trouble with the OG 7.1 beta. And yet I still haven't fully explored every path in the live 7.1 beta. The difference being I was working very hard to test 7.1 at my maximum capability. But I don't play the game that way normally, because it is not enjoyable on a sustained basis. I could do OG 7.1 with rank 2s. But I'm going to be perfectly happy doing live 7.1 with rank 4s (assuming I don't fully explore it before they arrive).

We're not robots. Content doesn't just get automatically completed the moment it is possible to complete. If that were true I would also have everything done. But that's not how I play the game, and it is not how most people play the game. And that's really, really obvious just from observing players of the game. There are few ways easier to discover your opinion of the game is not universal than complain it is too easy. For every person who thinks that, there's a hundred prepared to explain why they are completely wrong.
    Since you play the game at such a slow pace which is what I will call how you "enjoy" the game, I don't think your opinion is that relevant to what I'm talking about. Even though I expressed how I'm on the very lower end of spending and I do enjoy completing most content relatively quickly even though I'm not a day 1 completion guy. I think I will have to express my opinion in ways Kabam can actually understand.

Content that is too easy which is what r4 champions will make the game will not encourage players to spend to reach completion. I'm personally motivated by actual content and getting better. Collection is not very important to me outside of prestige hence why I don't spend on crystals. So everyone may not play like me but speaking for players that are actually trying to have some type of challenge when playing, R4's this soon will be incredibly harmful if we continue at this pace without the content.

I think the anecdotal evidence on the forum will show you that ftp people don't want the gap to widen and whales want harder content, that seems to be the trend I'm seeing. I haven't seen a post yet where people are excited for the spring cleaning r4 catalysts so you can speak for these unnamed new players who want to blow through content with stronger champions but I don't see it. I think that is a convenient argument to bat down against r4 champions which you individually have no problem with.
  • Options

I haven't seen a post yet where people are excited for the spring cleaning r4 catalysts so you can speak for these unnamed new players who want to blow through content with stronger champions but I don't see it. I think that is a convenient argument to bat down against r4 champions which you individually have no problem with.

I think it is so easy to find, or even just plain remember, all the people who have over the last year complained about R4 and R5 being "overdue" that I'm fine leaving it to the forum readers to judge if I'm wildly off base or not.
  • Options
    VendemiaireVendemiaire Posts: 2,178 ★★★★★
    Rather than a new rarity, I'd rather see them introduce a second awakening. Your champion needs to be at least 6*R4 then you need to collect specific shards to form a second awakening crystal that will give your champion a new utility or boost existing ones to be viable for the next tough content.
  • Options
    HieitakuHieitaku Posts: 1,368 ★★★★★
    [Thread title] *yet - 100% agree
  • Options
    HavanaknightHavanaknight Posts: 453 ★★★
    Instead of 7*, why not just keep adding levels to 6*? So R6, R7, etc. Maybe after R5 they add a new signature ability(for sig levels 200-400). It keeps the game moving without having to chase champs again