**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Champion Update Concern

Comments

• Options
    PulyamanPulyaman Posts: 2,365 ★★★★★

Does seem weird but eh, OG Hulk is all you need for V4 and I don't think buffing or nerfing Colossus will change that.

Wait till OG Hulk gets a rework and his fury buff turns into a passive and the 1 star gets updated. :D
  • Options

Pulyaman said:

TyEdge said:

Unpopular opinion alert - colossus still isn’t a caustic temper counter so the fuss over his 1-star is overblown.

It's not that he is a counter for a particular fight or path. Kabam seemed to have changed their stance in not updating 1 star due to the kit being too complex for new players. Even people arguing here can't seem to land on a point. If 1 stars are not going to be useful for more than a few hours, then there is no problem with updating 1 stars since it's not going to be so bad if new players learn about well timed blocks a few hours early.
    The problem is that it will make a big deal if a 1* colossus is one of the first champs a new player gets. With the sheer amount and complexity of his abilities versus someone like Wolverine or OG Spider-Man, it would most definitely be more complex than the average player could understand or readily implement. 1* champs (outside of variant) are primarily for learning the basics of the game, and dash-attacking is most definitely one of the most basic skills you have to learn. Intercepting is just an extension of that. To play devil’s advocate, parrying is just an extension of blocking, which is one of the most basic concepts, but you can get through a lot of the game without blocking by learning to evade or dash back, but you can’t get through the game without attacking.
    Again, most people or maybe pretty much all of them don't read abiltiy kits. Especially for 1*. And intercepting is not something you do with 1*s. Or parrying. You already get 2* and 3* maybe minutes into starting the game
    Blocking is one of the basic things you learn when you start the game. I also don't get the we get 2* minutes into the game argument, if that is the case, then there is no reason for any champ to not get updated in all rarities.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★
    Pulyaman said:

Solid question. Why are people arguing about a 1* Champ that isn't used anywhere but the beginning of game play and one Chapter of a Variant?

It's because of the inconsistency in updating the description of the champion. You cannot have it both ways. First the reason given was that updated abilities are too complex for new players to understand, but other 1 stars got their descriptions updated. Then you say people don't even use 1 stars for more than a few hours before they advance to 2 stars, then there is no reason to not update the champion description since they move on anyway. Also keep in mind that Kabam have mentioned that they plan to introduce content that will make us use lower star versions of the champion, so updating colossus makes sense.
    You can have it two ways. They can update whatever they want. For that matter, the amount of content that will depend on a 1* is few and far between, outside of a Variant and the Arena.
    There's another layer to consider. The level of rework and the strength of the outcome. Had Colossus not turned out as strong as he is now, no one would be arguing about it at all, really. Save for the inconsistency. So it stands to reason that they don't want 1*s too strong at the beginning stages of playing. BP is good, but not in a way that offsets the balance among other 1*s for a newer Player. People at that stage are learning to play and get the basics down. The last thing that is helpful to them is to idolize one or two Champions over others. Some have preferences, sure. That's not the same as making some overtly stronger than others.
  • Options
    KerneasKerneas Posts: 3,741 ★★★★★
    But Miike, you said parry comes around with 2* champions. It's been a long time since I started playing, but if I remember correctly, you get your first 2* in the tutorial. And if not there, then it's a matter of 30 minutes of playing. My point is, that parry is as essential as blocking, even mkre probably. And what else should be accented while teaching new players?

Also right in their first quest they meet bleed, regen, armorbreak, weakness and fatigue. Is stun really that big ofa deal?
  • Options
    Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★

Not nearly as much. Keep in mind, the majority of players using 1-Star Champions are within their first hours. They learn about things like DOT Debuffs and Immunities with 1-Stars. What they don't learn about is Parry and Stun. That happens later, usually in the 2 Star Range.

While we all could look back and say "That's easy! New players can deal with Parry!", that's taking advanced knowledge into account, and not the average first-time experience of a new player.

but intercepting
    Intercepting helps you play the Champion well, it doesn't add something like a Stun, which you have never encountered before.
    The tutorial pretty much makes you unlock parry right at the start of the game anyway, so colossus’ stun thing is pretty insignificant
  • Options

Pulyaman said:

Solid question. Why are people arguing about a 1* Champ that isn't used anywhere but the beginning of game play and one Chapter of a Variant?

It's because of the inconsistency in updating the description of the champion. You cannot have it both ways. First the reason given was that updated abilities are too complex for new players to understand, but other 1 stars got their descriptions updated. Then you say people don't even use 1 stars for more than a few hours before they advance to 2 stars, then there is no reason to not update the champion description since they move on anyway. Also keep in mind that Kabam have mentioned that they plan to introduce content that will make us use lower star versions of the champion, so updating colossus makes sense.
    You can have it two ways. They can update whatever they want. For that matter, the amount of content that will depend on a 1* is few and far between, outside of a Variant and the Arena.
    There's another layer to consider. The level of rework and the strength of the outcome. Had Colossus not turned out as strong as he is now, no one would be arguing about it at all, really. Save for the inconsistency. So it stands to reason that they don't want 1*s too strong at the beginning stages of playing. BP is good, but not in a way that offsets the balance among other 1*s for a newer Player. People at that stage are learning to play and get the basics down. The last thing that is helpful to them is to idolize one or two Champions over others. Some have preferences, sure. That's not the same as making some overtly stronger than others.
    When your answer gets to " It is their game and they can do whatever they want", then you know you have run out of reasonable explanations. :D
    To the point, shouldn't the game allow you to play with whoever you want and not make you use specific champs for new players? I mean, as you progress, you learn and start using different champs according to the situation. In this case, if I am starting the game, I am going to learn pretty quick that BP is stronger than colossus and ignore colossus altogether.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Kerneas said:

But Miike, you said parry comes around with 2* champions. It's been a long time since I started playing, but if I remember correctly, you get your first 2* in the tutorial. And if not there, then it's a matter of 30 minutes of playing. My point is, that parry is as essential as blocking, even mkre probably. And what else should be accented while teaching new players?

Also right in their first quest they meet bleed, regen, armorbreak, weakness and fatigue. Is stun really that big ofa deal?

You are pretty much forced to open a collector crystal in the tutorial, so I don't know why these guys are brining up the new players wont understand the abilities of 1 star argument since you get a 2 star from the collector crystal most of the time.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★
    Pulyaman said:

Pulyaman said:

When your answer gets to " It is their game and they can do whatever they want", then you know you have run out of reasonable explanations. :D
    To the point, shouldn't the game allow you to play with whoever you want and not make you use specific champs for new players? I mean, as you progress, you learn and start using different champs according to the situation. In this case, if I am starting the game, I am going to learn pretty quick that BP is stronger than colossus and ignore colossus altogether.
    When you say you can't have it both ways, as if we have a say in the decision-making process, then it needs to be said. You're also not going to see BP as very much stronger than Colossus at the beginning stages of the game. You won't even be able to use his Sig.
  • Options

Pulyaman said:

Pulyaman said:

When you say you can't have it both ways, as if we have a say in the decision-making process, then it needs to be said. You're also not going to see BP as very much stronger than Colossus at the beginning stages of the game. You won't even be able to use his Sig.
    By that logic, there is no reason for the forum to exist other than Kabam posting something and the players just accepting it. Any change has to game has to make sense to the players too, otherwise there will be a backlash depending on the change. But that is another topic.
    BP is very stronger than colossus as a 1 star before, now he is even more stronger. There is no question about that. Even some experienced players don't understand the difference between a buff and a passive effect, and BP has passive effects all over his description. If that is not too complicated for new players, how is colossus complicated?
  • Options
    Destroy4589Destroy4589 Posts: 261 ★★★
    With how dead the early game AI is, is it even possible to intercept them lol?
  • Options
    LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★

Pulyaman said:

TyEdge said:

Unpopular opinion alert - colossus still isn’t a caustic temper counter so the fuss over his 1-star is overblown.

It's not that he is a counter for a particular fight or path. Kabam seemed to have changed their stance in not updating 1 star due to the kit being too complex for new players. Even people arguing here can't seem to land on a point. If 1 stars are not going to be useful for more than a few hours, then there is no problem with updating 1 stars since it's not going to be so bad if new players learn about well timed blocks a few hours early.
    The problem is that it will make a big deal if a 1* colossus is one of the first champs a new player gets. With the sheer amount and complexity of his abilities versus someone like Wolverine or OG Spider-Man, it would most definitely be more complex than the average player could understand or readily implement. 1* champs (outside of variant) are primarily for learning the basics of the game, and dash-attacking is most definitely one of the most basic skills you have to learn. Intercepting is just an extension of that. To play devil’s advocate, parrying is just an extension of blocking, which is one of the most basic concepts, but you can get through a lot of the game without blocking by learning to evade or dash back, but you can’t get through the game without attacking.
    Are new players really pouring over the ability descriptions of their 1*s? I didn't. They'd button mash with Colossus with or without the update and move on when they get two and three stars almost immediately.
  • Options
    CorkscrewCorkscrew Posts: 532 ★★★
    Pulyaman said:

You get this text when loading the game. "Some Champions’ attacks can Stun their opponents, rendering them unable to attack, block, or even move!". So, new players will know exactly what stun means. Also, Hulk can stun with his sp1. The way you guys are talking about new players make it seem like they are a bunch of morons.

Yes... because players read loading screens...

Hulk's SP1 is completely different, he hit you which led to you being stunned, not you hit him which led to you being stunned.

You're forgetting that Kabam deals with hundreds, if not thousands of new players daily that may be:
    1) New to mobile gaming, picked this up because it's Marvel
    2) New to this kind of game, picked this up because it's Marvel
    3) are morons

I've seen experienced players do moronic things, why would you expect more from someone that just picked up the game?

If you've ever had to build software for anyone, you know that they do stupid things and get frustrated easily. Kabam want the barrier of entry to be so low that people are hooked within 30 minutes.

• Options
    Corkscrew said:

Pulyaman said:

You get this text when loading the game. "Some Champions’ attacks can Stun their opponents, rendering them unable to attack, block, or even move!". So, new players will know exactly what stun means. Also, Hulk can stun with his sp1. The way you guys are talking about new players make it seem like they are a bunch of morons.

Hulk's SP1 is completely different, he hit you which led to you being stunned, not you hit him which led to you being stunned.

You're forgetting that Kabam deals with hundreds, if not thousands of new players daily that may be:
    3) are morons

I've seen experienced players do moronic things, why would you expect more from someone that just picked up the game?

If you've ever had to build software for anyone, you know that they do stupid things and get frustrated easily. Kabam want the barrier of entry to be so low that people are hooked within 30 minutes.

The more people argue kabam's logic, the more it seems like they gave an explanation and are trying to justify that whatever way possible.
    You speak as if everyone quits the game as soon as they get stunned or die. People try to understand why something happened if they do get stunned. They do the unthinkable and read the abilities. As it is, within 30 minutes, you will get your first 2 star champ and move on from 1 star champs. All this depends on when you pull 1 star colossus too. Typically the first champ you pull is spidey or ironman. More often than not, you pull colossus from the daily crystals.
  • Options
    KerneasKerneas Posts: 3,741 ★★★★★
    Pulyaman said:

Kerneas said:

You are pretty much forced to open a collector crystal in the tutorial, so I don't know why these guys are brining up the new players wont understand the abilities of 1 star argument since you get a 2 star from the collector crystal most of the time.
    Thanks for info. I have played turorial in 2015, so I didnt know
  • Options
    Haji_Saab said:

You get a 2* or higher on just entering the game through a PHC. This discussion has nothing to do with new players. Its all about that Variant. :D

Not only the variants. Since kabam have removed the sell option, updating the 1 star will be useful for any content requiring 1 star for any future content that kabam introduces which they seem to be planning. Only variant in need to explore is V7.
  • Options
    Andyball270Andyball270 Posts: 303 ★★★
    So is this thread now about BP or Collosus. The only issue i see is the usefulness of Col in variant 4 because he wasnt buffed?
  • Options
    Pulyaman said:

The more people argue kabam's logic, the more it seems like they gave an explanation and are trying to justify that whatever way possible.
    You speak as if everyone quits the game as soon as they get stunned or die. People try to understand why something happened if they do get stunned. They do the unthinkable and read the abilities. As it is, within 30 minutes, you will get your first 2 star champ and move on from 1 star champs. All this depends on when you pull 1 star colossus too. Typically the first champ you pull is spidey or ironman. More often than not, you pull colossus from the daily crystals.

Dude, I'm not a Kabam apologist. You can read my previous comments. What I won't do is just jump on them just for the sake of "let's kick Kabam", that's not productive either.

The point is (and I've reiterated this multiple times), is that I'm talking about a player encountering Colossus as a defender not as an attacking. Pulling a 1* Colossus has nothing to do with facing one in quest. Everything you reference keeps pointing to what his abilities are as an attacker.

Players who aren't invested in a game because it's buggy and doing things they don't understand won't read abilities. They need to be invested first before they start deep diving.
  • Options
    Corkscrew said:

Pulyaman said:

Dude, I'm not a Kabam apologist. You can read my previous comments. What I won't do is just jump on them just for the sake of "let's kick Kabam", that's not productive either.

The point is (and I've reiterated this multiple times), is that I'm talking about a player encountering Colossus as a defender not as an attacking. Pulling a 1* Colossus has nothing to do with facing one in quest. Everything you reference keeps pointing to what his abilities are as an attacker.

Players who aren't invested in a game because it's buggy and doing things they don't understand won't read abilities. They need to be invested first before they start deep diving.
    This is why I feel that you guys are taking new players for granted. What you are saying is if a new player faces colossus in defense and gets stunned, he will feel that the game is bugged and quit, which makes no sense. Keep in mind that the AI in the early acts are very defensive and the AI landing a well times block is actually very rare.
    I am also not trashing Kabam for anything, just that it does not make much sense for 1 champ to get updated and the other to remain the same.
  • Options
    ChubsWhiteChubsWhite Posts: 493 ★★★

Kabam said they’ll eventually create more content which utilize every rarity in a players roster — which is why they stopped you from being able to sell champions.

Also, they realize that Colossus will destroy Variant 4, so they didn’t wanna update the 1* because “it’s too difficult for new players.”
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 5,476 ★★★★★

Kabam said they’ll eventually create more content which utilize every rarity in a players roster — which is why they stopped you from being able to sell champions.

Also, they realize that Colossus will destroy Variant 4, so they didn’t wanna update the 1* because “it’s too difficult for new players.”
    You’re too caught up on the variant aspect. The reworked 1* colossus wouldn’t make a difference. I didn’t even use colossus for exploration.
  • Options
    Jaded said:

You’re too caught up on the variant aspect. The reworked 1* colossus wouldn’t make a difference. I didn’t even use colossus for exploration.
    I think he is usable for biohazard path. But that's about it.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 5,476 ★★★★★
    Pulyaman said:

Jaded said:

I think he is usable for biohazard path. But that's about it.
    Exactly, Beyond that he isn’t required.
  • Options
    Pulyaman said:

This is why I feel that you guys are taking new players for granted. What you are saying is if a new player faces colossus in defense and gets stunned, he will feel that the game is bugged and quit, which makes no sense. Keep in mind that the AI in the early acts are very defensive and the AI landing a well times block is actually very rare.
    I am also not trashing Kabam for anything, just that it does not make much sense for 1 champ to get updated and the other to remain the same.

Actually, I would look at that in the opposite. You're taking it for granted that new players will just plow through.
    His point about our perspective being skewed is rather valid.

If you went around to all the players you know playing MCOC, e.g. all the alliances you have every been in, anyone on these forums, anyone on reddit and ask them, I'm sure all of them will say they've encountered issues that made them want to quit, but you know what... they just accepted it as part of the game and kept playing. This our collective perspective. We've gone through the junk and we are still playing. The problem with this perspective? The inherent bias. We've already pre-filtered our sample, we've already excluded the perspective of all the people who ever quit because of one tiny thing that annoyed them.

If you've ever developed SaaS solutions you would know that retention is the biggest problem. Not getting people to install, but getting people to use and keep using. If you can increase retention even by single digit amounts... it's a big win.

• Options
    LibertyPrimeV1LibertyPrimeV1 Posts: 4,179 ★★★★★
    Corkscrew said:

Pulyaman said:

Op's point was, why was colossus's abilities not updated when BP got updated as 1 star, which is a valid question. Miike replied that parry and stun were advanced abilities which we learn only in 2 star level. But, intercepting is even more advanced which is required to use BP effectively. If that is the case, why does colossus not get an update when his description is easier than BP?. That is why I said, colossus does not need the parry mastery to stun on a well timed block, its available in his kit.

The way I'm interpreting it and it may also be an issue with the way @Kabam Miike has relayed the information is less to do with the player using Colossus as an attacker and more about Colossus as a defender.

If you're attacking and do a well timed block and stun your opponent, all that happens is your opponent stops hitting you. As a beginner you're probably just mashing buttons, my opponent isn't hitting me so I'm gonna hit them. Pretty straightforward.

If you're attacking and hit Colossus, he does a well timed block and you get stunned. As a beginner, I'm happily mashing buttons attacking him and then suddenly I can't and he starts hitting me. The perception is that the game is bugged, just went unresponsive for no reason while I was beating him.

If BP intercepts your attack, you were going to get intercepted by anyone, BP or not.
    But new Players aren't blind, they would hear the Ping Sound, a Red Debuff would appear on them, a Message saying Stun on their side of the Screen will appear, then they won't be able to move.
    They wouldn't immediately perceive that as a Bug, hell wouldn't even know who buggy this game is at times so that wouldn't be their first thought. (Whether they are a kid or adult, most kids are smarter than your average adult anyways)
  • Options
    LibertyPrimeV1LibertyPrimeV1 Posts: 4,179 ★★★★★
    Corkscrew said:

Pulyaman said:

3) are morons

So you're telling me if you never played a First Person Shooter before, loaded into your first few matches, then at one point got ko'ed up by a grenade you would say "What?! Well this game is Obviously Bugged because I didn't hear anyone shoot at me yet I still lost, disgusting, I can't fathom this Insane Sequence Of Events... I QUIT!"

Like that's what you're saying someone would do if they #1 happened to run into a 1 Star Colossus Specifically in the first hour or two of the game, then #2 the Insanely Low Chance that as they're doing their "button mashing" the 1 in a million chance of a Beginner Passive AI Blocking at The Perfect Time then would Stun them and even though there's 3 Forms of Alert In Fight that you've been Stunned the New Player would lose their mind assuming it was a Bug and delete the app...

Oh also there's the Little Tiny Tid Bit everyone seems to be forgetting here, Colossus's Built In Parry Stun only lasts 1 Second... 1 Second of being unable to move is supposed to blow the mind of some super unlucky new player, in that 1 Second the Passive Beginner AI would most likely Continue to Block or get off 1 Hit before blocking again...
  • Options

Corkscrew said:

Pulyaman said:

3) are morons

So you're telling me if you never played a First Person Shooter before, loaded into your first few matches, then at one point got ko'ed up by a grenade you would say "What?! Well this game is Obviously Bugged because I didn't hear anyone shoot at me yet I still lost, disgusting, I can't fathom this Insane Sequence Of Events... I QUIT!"

Like that's what you're saying someone would do if they #1 happened to run into a 1 Star Colossus Specifically in the first hour or two of the game, then #2 the Insanely Low Chance that as they're doing their "button mashing" the 1 in a million chance of a Beginner Passive AI Blocking at The Perfect Time then would Stun them and even though there's 3 Forms of Alert In Fight that you've been Stunned the New Player would lose their mind assuming it was a Bug and delete the app...

Oh also there's the Little Tiny Tid Bit everyone seems to be forgetting here, Colossus's Built In Parry Stun only lasts 1 Second... 1 Second of being unable to move is supposed to blow the mind of some super unlucky new player, in that 1 Second the Passive Beginner AI would most likely Continue to Block or get off 1 Hit before blocking again...
    I think as @Haji_Saab put it earlier, it has nothing to do with new players and more to do with colossus as a champion.