**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Thoughts about the Arena Changes [Merged Threads]

Comments

• WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    A 6* arena didn't benefit the majority of players? I'm personally shocked. They were never gonna just add another arena and put even more units and milestones into the game. They also wouldn't make the milestones in these super easy to get bc then the people with big rosters would just scoop them up every arena in a few rounds. More isn't always better, especially in this game.
  • Jvdb2003Jvdb2003 Posts: 35
    I mean with 6* champs you would have hit that milestone so easily, they had to up it
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    Alec629 said:

I don’t necessarily care about getting the featured 5 or 6*s I never score that high anyway but what I care about is being able to get units and reach all the milestones.

For people in your position, the optimal mindset will likely have to change. It is too early to know how this will all shake out yet until we see a few cycles and get a better idea where the rank reward cutoffs end up, but the largest benefit for intermediate grinders with a decent number of 5* and 6* champs could be to shoot for the 11-30% (or higher) rank reward in both 4/5/6 arenas. Those contain 250 6* shards, which might be more reachable now than in the previous 5* featured arena (which had 6* shards in much higher rank tiers only).

If I was in your position today, I would probably be shifting my effort from trying to grind optimally for units, to trying to find the optimal strategy for grinding shards, in an effort to expand roster. In fact, even I am considering whether shooting for units over shards makes sense in the new arena configuration, and I do have the roster to sweep the milestones if I choose. But the new arenas aren't really built for that necessarily being the best long term strategy. It depends on how high the 1-5% rank gets.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,239 ★★★★★
    So to summarize, I think the general feedback is that these Arenas are good additions, but it's the amalgamation that people have an issue with. Is that correct?
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    KoiBoy18 said:

Here's another way to view the changes from the old system - these are APPROXIMATIONS

Old 5* featured: approx 60 rounds of 6* champs to get full 12 million milestones
    Old 4* featured: approx 40 rounds of r4/r5 5* champs to get full 4 million milestones
    Old 4* basic: approx 40 rounds of 4* champs to get full 1.5 million milestones

So 140 rounds to get all milestones

Now compare that to the 2 new 6* arenas

Each has 16.5 million for max milestones, so you need 33 million to get all milestones

That is approx. 167 rounds of ONLY 6* CHAMPS!!!!!!! So not only do you need a large enough 6* roster to run them 167 times, it still is 20% more rounds than the old 140 rounds WHERE YOU COULD USE 4* and 5* CHAMPS

So this change is bad for all arena grinders

- high level rosters still need to put up 167 rounds of only 6* vs 140 in old arenas
    - small 6* rosters will have no chance of getting both, or even 1 of max milestones

I ask the community to check my math but I really hoper Kabam reviews this change as it has greatly increased, not decreased, the grind

It depends. If you're only looking at millestones, yes. The rank rewards, however, are substantially better. So it depends on how you value those things. Someone who decided to forego milestones (and units with them) and say shoot for 1-5% in just one of the two 4/5/6 arenas, assuming they can get there (we don't know what the cutoffs will be long term, and it may take some cycles for that to settle down) they'd be getting 1000 6* shards per cycle, which is 8000 6* shards a month. Whether that's worth the loss of units depends: it is probably very subjective.

Also, the original 5* featured granted 300 6* shards to the top 5%. It is now going to be giving 250 6* shards to the top 305, and in two different arenas. That's a lot more people getting more 6* shards than before. More 6* champs means more points and more rewards from the two top arenas. So in the long run, I don't think players that can get there are too badly off.

Again, if you're focused on the milestones and specifically the units in the milestones, the amount of effort to get those (if you were trying to get them all) has gone up: for some players slightly up, for others a lot more. But I think injecting more shards into the arena is at least some small compensation for that change, and it is compensation that will pay interest in the long run. The problem is getting players to the point where that is even realistically practical in the first place, which is in my opinion a more critical problem.
  • GreekhitGreekhit Posts: 2,819 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Alec629 said:

I don’t necessarily care about getting the featured 5 or 6*s I never score that high anyway but what I care about is being able to get units and reach all the milestones.

For people in your position, the optimal mindset will likely have to change. It is too early to know how this will all shake out yet until we see a few cycles and get a better idea where the rank reward cutoffs end up, but the largest benefit for intermediate grinders with a decent number of 5* and 6* champs could be to shoot for the 11-30% (or higher) rank reward in both 4/5/6 arenas. Those contain 250 6* shards, which might be more reachable now than in the previous 5* featured arena (which had 6* shards in much higher rank tiers only).

If I was in your position today, I would probably be shifting my effort from trying to grind optimally for units, to trying to find the optimal strategy for grinding shards, in an effort to expand roster. In fact, even I am considering whether shooting for units over shards makes sense in the new arena configuration, and I do have the roster to sweep the milestones if I choose. But the new arenas aren't really built for that necessarily being the best long term strategy. It depends on how high the 1-5% rank gets.
    It’s not about the shards, it’s about the units.
    With the new milestones, the average milestones grinding player need at least 2x the time compared to previous iteration, for the same units.
    Kabam needs to cut all milestones to half, they are way to high.
    No one is going suddenly to grind the game for the double hours, especially old players which most of them are already burned out grinding all these years, and hoped for a faster, less grindy (for the unit rewards) arena setup.
    Kabam completely missed the shot with the milestones, same as they did back in Christmas with the celebration arenas, but this time, is not an one time arena, it’s the whole arena mode which is ruined.