**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Well, I finally beat the GM. What did it cost me? Everything

I went in expecting it to be hard (one-shots on Youtube are as mythical for me as professional sportsmen breaking world records). My team was r5s Quake, Sinister, CMM, Sym Supreme and r2 Doom. Used Quake and Sym for the cosmic path (CMM for Aarkus). Then GM. Well, it took time to adjust to his fighting style, even though I watched enough videos.

First phase was relatively ok, but what really got me was the second one. Performing tasks was easy, but getting to the wounded phase proved to be extremely hard for me. Sometimes it would be just GM being extremely aggressive in infuriation phase and intercepting me like crazy. Sometimes it would be my champs doing things I didn't want them to do, like dashing forward when in fact I was blocking. The hardest thing for me ended up being his SP1. I could count a number of times I managed to evade it on one hand. I still don't know if it is my timing or lag, but I constantly got hit by it when dashing backwards. In the end Sinister proved to be a life saver, as I stopped trying to evade the SP1 and started to just parry it.

Third phase was easier, as I used only Sinister and it was easier to manage passive power gain from GM than enhanced power gain in second phase.

At some point I realized that my fingers were too sweaty and it was really messing inputs, so I put on gloves and did 7%-0% in one shot with Sinister. Now I wonder if it would make a difference if I wore gloves from the start...

Pull-wise, I got 6* CapIW from a 6* crystal (great, but I already have a sig 200 r5 5*), dupes of 5* Colossus and AA from Nexus and 5* crystal. Beast and dupe of BPIW from other two 5* crystals. Nothing fancy so far. Then I opened 4 cavs that came as a reward and got this:

Kind of made it worth it. Picked X-23 from Nexus (other two options were Man-Thing and Sentry).

Overall, I'm glad I finally did it and it now two 25% T5CC selectors away from becoming Thronebreaker.

Comments

• Geralt_123Geralt_123 Posts: 595 ★★★
    Congratulations for your achievement.
    Yes! In dexing his sp1, little adjustment is needed and second phase is annoying.
    I hope you enter the Thronebreaker Club very soon!
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,355 ★★★★★
    Congrats - and awesome pulls, OP.
  • Malreck04Malreck04 Posts: 3,323 ★★★★★
    THOSE CAVS HOLY
  • MattstafariMattstafari Posts: 688 ★★★
    Congrats mate!
    The GM fight is tricky and can be frustrating for most of us but, it feels great when you beat him.

Your pulls from the rewards are awesome!!
  • Bugmat78Bugmat78 Posts: 2,136 ★★★★★
    Great crystal luck with duping Doom and yes GM's sp1 reminds me of Korg's - what you see is not exactly what you dex, and it's a real problem fighting him for the first time due to it.
  • HalleyHalley Posts: 386 ★★
    how many units & revives did you use?
  • the_eradicatorthe_eradicator Posts: 347 ★★★
    what ? The grandmaster fight is the most enjoyable boss fight created to date lol.
  • zaspacerzaspacer Posts: 115
    Do you think ranking up a 5-Star Mister Sinister to R5 just for the Grandmaster fight would be worth it?
  • StarhawkStarhawk Posts: 614 ★★★
    Congrats. I became thronebreaker about 2 weeks ago. I used up all of my potions/revives from my Cavalier 4 hour crystal to do it and about 1,500 units. I'm not a great player but so far it's been worth it. The first daily crystal I got as a thronebreaker was 5,000 5* shards. Haven't had great luck since but it will "pay" itself over time for the extra rewards.
  • Denslo500Denslo500 Posts: 903 ★★★
    @miracle_muffler
    How many practice runs did you do?
  • Fluffy_pawsFluffy_paws Posts: 2,677 ★★★★★
    zaspacer said:

Do you think ranking up a 5-Star Mister Sinister to R5 just for the Grandmaster fight would be worth it?

I would yes. Because i suck at reverse controls and honestly, probably got past it more based on luck and Aegon than my ability to do reverse controls. I'd 100% swap out a champ for my 6* r1 Sinister if I was to do it over.

However if you aren't complete garbage at it like me then perhaps not
  • JuggerNotJuggerNot Posts: 432 ★★
    The title of this post gave me DNA3000 vibes lol, and those are some awesome pulls congrats on beating the GM.
  • miracle_mufflermiracle_muffler Posts: 153 ★★
    zaspacer said:

Have no regrets about it. He really saved me when I couldn't dex GM's SP1 even if my life depended on it. His ability to parry unlockable SPs should really be useful elsewhere and he is a nice defender in AW.
  • miracle_mufflermiracle_muffler Posts: 153 ★★
    Halley said:

how many units & revives did you use?

That I will discuss only with my therapist.
  • RCunhaRCunha Posts: 375 ★★
    edited June 2021
    ''Sometimes it would be my champs doing things I didn't want them to do, like dashing forward when in fact I was blocking. ''
    The game is having this issues this month, hope they correct them on Next update, congrats on taking him down, you and i are on the same path, waiting on some t5cc to become Thronebreaker, very nice pulls you got there. For me i used 1000 units
  • zaspacerzaspacer Posts: 115

I would yes. Because i suck at reverse controls and honestly, probably got past it more based on luck and Aegon than my ability to do reverse controls. I'd 100% swap out a champ for my 6* r1 Sinister if I was to do it over.

However if you aren't complete garbage at it like me then perhaps not

Have no regrets about it. He really saved me when I couldn't dex GM's SP1 even if my life depended on it. His ability to parry unlockable SPs should really be useful elsewhere and he is a nice defender in AW.

I think I will go the Mister Sinister route. Thanks miracle_muffler and Fluffy_paws

Any suggestions for my team? Are there any synergies that would be especially useful for the Grandmaster Fight? Does Heimdall's save work or help for any of it?

I should be able to 5*R5 Quake most the path except for Vision (Aarkus). I can use a champion like Captain Marvel (Movie) like miracle_muffler for Aarkus, which also means I can use her invulnerable for the final Grandmaster phase too. Or I can just brute force Aarkus and free up 3 slots on the team for synergies, role players, etc.

So...

5*R5 (Unawakened) Mister Sinister
    5*R5 Quake

? 5*R5 Sig200 Captain Marvel (Movie)
    ? 5*R4 Heimdall
    ? 5*R4 Apocalyspe (make Horseman, etc.)
    ? 5*R5 Nick Fury (boost CMM and make the Quake fights faster)
    ? 5*R5 Magneto (Red) (is Grandmaster's Combined class considered class disadvantage for Mister Sinister? Does +20% damage even really matter?)
  • raviXsharmaraviXsharma Posts: 518 ★★★
    Give some tips, my turn now