**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Best Cosmic Champion?

Comments

• BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

Here’s my moment for disagrees. Hyperion is only considered the best cosmic for the nostalgia factor. If you released Hyperion and any of Herc, CGR or Corvus in the same month today, I really believe you would not consider Hyperion the best champion.

In the past he could do so much that we required him to do, we weren’t as good at intercepting so his power gain was great, we needed damage so that was great, his secondary source of damage from sp1 was nice. But nowadays he simply doesn’t cut it. We can intercept better and play more reliably without the need for specials to intercept, we have more damage, we have other ways to get secondary damage.

He’s awesome, and it’s a testament to how good he is that he’s still in the conversation at all. But he is not as good as Cosmic champions who came after him, and people are hanging on to the notion that Hyp is the best based on using him to get through act 4, 5 and 6 in the day. We have better champs now

Just no. Besides the newly released herc hyperion have been the nr 1 cosmic. Its got nothing to do with nostalgia, that just sounds silly lol. Hyperion can bypass so many nodes that you wouldn't think and some people like yourself dont see that which is fine but dont try and put your lack of understanding a champ as a fact of hes not as good as others think.
    Not sure why you have to assume I don’t understand Hyp, he was an early rank 5 of mine years ago, I used him in act 5, he was a main of mine to explore act 6.

I’ve used Hyp in so many places, I’ve seen what he can do and what he can get around, and he just doesn’t compete with the utility and damage that newer cosmic champions provide. He’s awesome yes, but not top cosmic.
    Because saying what you said tells me you dont
    Having a different opinion on how good a champion is and how useful their abilities and utility is doesn’t mean I don’t know how to use them. If you say you don’t think CGR is better than Hyperion, I respect your opinion even though I disagree. What I don’t do is act condescending and tell you that you don’t know how to use them. People value different parts of a champion and use that to form opinions on who is the best. You value special intercepting, power gain and furies. I feel different.

I was open to debating which champion was better but if you insist on resorting to calling it silly, saying I don’t understand a champion and talking down to someone then that’s your prerogative but you can also just maybe.. y’know, not?
  • ChaosMax1012ChaosMax1012 Posts: 3,086 ★★★★★

This just my personal opinion!

1. Hercules
    2. Hyperion
    3. Cosmic Ghost Rider
    4. Corvus Glaive
    5. Captain Marvel (Movie)

I personally put angela above cap marvel movie
  • IKONIKON Posts: 1,336 ★★★★★

Here’s my moment for disagrees. Hyperion is only considered the best cosmic for the nostalgia factor. If you released Hyperion and any of Herc, CGR or Corvus in the same month today, I really believe you would not consider Hyperion the best champion.

In the past he could do so much that we required him to do, we weren’t as good at intercepting so his power gain was great, we needed damage so that was great, his secondary source of damage from sp1 was nice. But nowadays he simply doesn’t cut it. We can intercept better and play more reliably without the need for specials to intercept, we have more damage, we have other ways to get secondary damage.

He’s awesome, and it’s a testament to how good he is that he’s still in the conversation at all. But he is not as good as Cosmic champions who came after him, and people are hanging on to the notion that Hyp is the best based on using him to get through act 4, 5 and 6 in the day. We have better champs now

I've always enjoyed your takes... but....

Now you're clearly my favorite forum user, spot on take.
    IKON said:

I've always enjoyed your takes... but....

Now you're clearly my favorite forum user, spot on take.
    Haha thank you I appreciate that. I’m very aware it’s one of my more controversial opinions, and don’t get me wrong I love my Hyperion, but his abilities shone when we didn’t have better options I’m afraid. Now, they still shine, just less brightly.
  • Legendary_NoobLegendary_Noob Posts: 59

Honestly, it hasn’t been long. But after seeing Karate Mike’s videos with this months madlad, Hercules, I have to say, he is absolutely insane. So, who is the BEST Cosmic Champion

I feel for overall content that can be completed by a single cosmic champ I would have to go for my boy Hyperion. But it's hard to put the "best" label on any champion

This just my personal opinion!

1. Hercules
    2. Hyperion
    3. Cosmic Ghost Rider
    4. Corvus Glaive
    5. Captain Marvel (Movie)

I would definitely put corvus in the top 3, while hyperion and CGR fight for a spot. I really think its between corvus and hercules.
  • DeewillDeewill Posts: 83
    With all the new champs out it’s time for 6 star Hyperion.. come on now they finally made 5 star scarlet witch.. but they could have made her 6 star too while they at it.. add them to the mix..
  • The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★
    edited July 2021
    Hercules could be the top cosmic and I'm inclining towards that.
  • Thanos1149Thanos1149 Posts: 1,136 ★★★
    Damn, people should’ve voted for CGR or Corvus, so Kabam will think that he is no longer a god, and THEN, they might release him as a six star. Bit far fetched and extremely unlikely that would’ve happened, but I’m desperate people
  • DrOctavius2_2DrOctavius2_2 Posts: 432 ★★
    I vote Hela she was doing immortality before it was cool
  • Malreck04Malreck04 Posts: 3,323 ★★★★★

I vote Hela she was doing immortality before it was cool

Well, she can hit harder than any of the champs on the poll
  • FuneralMistFuneralMist Posts: 93 ★★
    HYPERION...he just carried me through alot of content its hard to not vote for him...love that soul crushing sp2 uppercut..lol
  • KablKabl Posts: 315 ★★★
    Groot.
  • RookiieRookiie Posts: 4,769 ★★★★★
    @Karatemike415 what do you think?
  • Parth_vanshParth_vansh Posts: 46
    Oh my god, the cgr toxic guys are making this discussion very bad.
    Every champ have there own unique things.
    1. Corvus dominants aq, is the best cosmic to bring in incrusions, very good boss killer and death immunity
    2. Cgr have one of the highest dmg output in game, have some immunities, fun to play, satisfying numbers and lot
    3. Herc is very good in both short and long fights, death immunity is good, fun to play, very good animations and winning pose, lot of potential.
    4. Let's just be fair, hype is a 5 star champ and people who have rank 3 corvus/cgr/herc still use him in many content.

Again I just want to say that all are very close in there use in game and all is on your personal preference.
    Don't be that toxic cgr guys, you are making is very bad situation.

Be safe

1. Corvus dominants aq, is the best cosmic to bring in incrusions, very good boss killer and death immunity
    2. Cgr have one of the highest dmg output in game, have some immunities, fun to play, satisfying numbers and lot
    3. Herc is very good in both short and long fights, death immunity is good, fun to play, very good animations and winning pose, lot of potential.
    4. Let's just be fair, hype is a 5 star champ and people who have rank 3 corvus/cgr/herc still use him in many content.

Again I just want to say that all are very close in there use in game and all is on your personal preference.

Be safe

CGR has high numbers so thats what makes some of his fans undermine everything about other cosmics. Some do give fair reasoning though.

Be safe

CGR has high numbers so thats what makes some of his fans undermine everything about other cosmics. Some do give fair reasoning though.
    Yep. CGR is my favourite champ but I agree that Hyperion is better because that power gain ability is OP. Though I do think that CGR is better than Corvus, and I don’t really use CMM so idk about her.

Be safe

Yep. CGR is my favourite champ but I agree that Hyperion is better because that power gain ability is OP. Though I do think that CGR is better than Corvus, and I don’t really use CMM so idk about her.
    Hyperion is my favorite of these champs but it’s really tough to say he can’t be the best because he isn’t a 6*, but then again these other champs crazy too and clear so much. Tough to say who’s the best, i think it’s hercules but probably gotta wait and see. Maybe his usability will die down or he will get nerfed, but i really doubt a top 4 prestige champ with some really good utility and damage is gonna be ignored for too long.
  • Zeroj2kZeroj2k Posts: 146
    Ive done my first run through of 6.3, 6.4, 7.1 and working on 7.2 and Corvus has been my MVP

Corvus on Flare paths is an absolute joke

I usually don't disagree with steel, but have hype as a maxed out 5 star and also cgr, trust me when i say hype's put in WORK in act 7 for me, and idk about others but intercepting with hype feels so much easier than any other champions.
    his passive power gain is in comparison to no other champ in this game and it gets you through all the situations,
    on top of that he has poison immunity which i understand isnt much useful, but it's something.
    and have you ever used him in incursions? he's the most fun champ in the entire game once you get a few hacks like buff cornucopia and fury enhancement and what not. I've personally played incursions with hype, cgr and corvus and let me tell you, hype beats all of them, yes even corvus, in incursions.

Not only that, he's sooo useful in variant content, an absolute cheese in the final chapter of the recent variant with the increased ability accuracy and perma stuns on sp2. He's the best option for it and no one can tell me otherwise.

ON TOP OF THIS, hype's got one of the best regen mechanics which is sooo easily accessible and puts in work for some potion use.

annnnnnd he has the best sig scaling in the entire game which is one of the most underrated things about him,
    from 0-20 makes a world of difference and from 20-200 does absolutely nothing.

plus he fits in any team anywhere and does not require synergies, really annoying defender on certain nodes as well.

I've chased cgr for so long and when i finally got him, i rank 5'd him, but i still found myself using hype in places more than him. and yes i did practice a lot with cgr and got his massive damage rotations in control.

honestly i wanna stop but there are so many things coming to mind.
    ok one last- hype has an easy playstyle unlike cgr
    and he's so stressfree to play too, since there isn't any sort of cap on his furies or power gain, unlike the 20 charges on corvus which i really dont like.

He even dominated summer of pain rogue for a lot of players.

In conclusion:- yes maybe hype isnt the best cosmic in the game, but to say all the champs that came after him is better is extremely debatable.
    but he is and will be proving his worth in the future and will surely never be a forgotten champion.

Thanks for sharing your points! So I have a few things I wanna address from here

Firstly, I wouldn't say Act 7 is the best test of how good a champion is. There's so many fun interesting nodes, that it really throws around the order of how useful champions are. The Class boosts are powerful, the tag boosts too, so for the most part I don't think act 7 can be used to justify the "best" champ.

What situations exactly does passive power gain get you through that CGR can't do? I can only really think of one, being unblockable. Hyp does have a very strong power gain and should you encounter a situation where the opponent is unblockable, sure, Hyperion is better than CGR. But how often does that really happen? And is that niche scenario enough to justify Hyperion being better than CGR? A few nodes off the top of my head that cause the opponent to go fully unblockable, Aspect of War, Steady build up unblockable, unblockable finale. Aspect of War, yeah I mean I suppose Hyp is better, but why would you ever really go, oh I'm gonna bring hyp for this fight instead of a slow champion? Just to prove CGR is worse? I'm not so sure anyone would. Steady Build up is aimed at skill champions to purify them, and CGR can get around unblockable finale with his massive damage, sure there may be a niche scenario where the damage is capped, but that'll be such a small percentage of fights that it's not enough to say CGR is worse.

Poison immunity? Useful, sure, but bleed and incinerate are more useful together than poison alone. I'd argue just bleed is more useful but that's a separate debate.

So I feel very strongly about not using incursions to justify how good a champion is, there is so much in that game mode that breaks champions and causes certain interactions to go wild. Civil Warrior is a beast in incursions, so is annihulus, Aarkus, MS etc, and while these champions may be good or bad outside of incursions you can't use one game mode that has little bearing on the rest of the game to justify a champion being the top of their class. It's essentially a different game, with different champion abilities.

Variant content, sure, Hyp is ok, but you're talking about 1 of 7 variants with the increased AA, not exactly a slam dunk.

Hyperion does have a fantastic regen mechanic at the loss of power gain for 45 seconds. It's an ok trade off for sure, and it's a beefy regen, but I'd argue that CGR's block proficiency being higher than Doom means for a lot of match ups you'll have more health than Hyp. Plus, Hyp has a parry heavy playstyle which can sometimes lead to block damage. With unavoidable damage, yeah Hyp has CGR beat on sustainability, but I'm not sure that's enough.

Sig scaling, would you say Hype's sig scaling is better than CGR's scaling of... um... 1?

Cgr also fits in anywhere on a team and doesn't require synergies.

Eh, CGR having a hard playstyle is subjective. I find it very easy to cycle judgements. And I'm not sure having an easy playstyle makes a champion the best in the class, the two best champions in the game are widely both considered the two hardest to play. So CGR being hard to play shouldn't stop him being the best cosmic.

I agree with your conclusion, it is debatable, but we are having that debate now. Hyperion is and always will be a top cosmic champion, he will always have value, but he can't be top forever with the champions coming out, and I would argue he's already lost his crown. If you disagree, please be my guest and put forward your own points, I actually love hearing why people think he is the best instead of, CGR fans are toxic, you don't understand Hyperion etc that some people like to say instead of actually addressing what I've said.
    walkerdog said:

I think hes pretty easily the best bc the other contenders have to do a few things to be on even ground. CG can't touch him without the combination of a higher rarity and suicides, Cgr is close but struggles when he can't 5hit combos or has to deal with AAR, and Herc needs suicides it seems like. Hes early enough that I won't say for certain that hes not better, but there's a pretty good reason hype and quake probably won't get a 6* anytime soon. Maybe that's just kabam being overly cautious but...
    Why are you saying that without higher rarity/suicides CGR isn't better? Because that seems like you're implying without the extra attack from higher rank and suicides, CGR isn't better than Hyp? He has the same utility as a 6* rank 3, so unless you're saying that CGR's damage isn't enough then I don't think you've got much of a point there. And I'm not sure I've ever seen someone say CGR's damage isn't enough.

Regarding needing 5 hit combos, I'm not actually sure what you're referring to. Do you mean this?
    https://youtu.be/WhvhPCBwX6w
    I'm sure you don't mean miss, since every miss (to my knowledge except stun immune tunnel vision, a rather niche combination) in the game can be gotten around with a 5 hit combo. Professor X, G2099, Stryfe, Darkhawk, SuperSkrull etc. Regarding nodes, tunnel vision is shown above, Missing in action (any time defender buff ends there's a timer then falter), if you'd like to point out more miss nodes or champions I'd be happy to explain how CGR can deal with them.

Or perhaps you're referring to evade, since it could screw him up. But I know you wouldn't be using that as your point, it's not like Hyperion is an evade counter. Using Evade as your reason Hyp is better would be pretty weak.

Maybe you mean Autoblock, could be annoying there. Except when you consider it, 4 of the 8 auto blockers need buffs or armour to do so, and CGR is very proficient at countering them. Nova, Heimdall, Medusa, IMIW. CGR handles them all easily. You're left with Darkhawk (easy to handle, push to sp2 and use vigilance buff to counter/don't knock down except when necessary), MODOK (bad match up admittedly), overseer (we haven't seen enough of him yet to form an accurate opinion on defence) and Thor Rags (no counter needed). So of the 8 autoblock champions, CGR hard counters 4, can deal with 2, 1 is undetermined and 1 is a bad matchup. Regardless, I don't think you mean autoblock, since CGR can deal with it better than Hyperion, who can't deal with Nova, Heimdall, Medusa or MODOK, and not as well for IMIW, with 1 armour break per SP2, and CGR gets more armour breaks, more often.

So how exactly, can CGR's combo be interrupted in a meaningful scenario

Since you say Hype not being released as a 6* is proof that he's "too good", I wonder if you'd make the same case for Blade, Wolverine, Ghost Rider, Dr Voodoo, Magik and Scarlet Witch? Are they all too good to be released as 6*? Cause it seems like you're using one fact to suit your opinion, rather than using the full picture to form your opinion.

• Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    Hyperion is an oldtimer and still stands today. That makes him the best cosmic imo.

Hyperion is an oldtimer and still stands today. That makes him the best cosmic imo.

I think that's a fair point to say he's still an amazing champion, and it's a testament to his abilities that they're still useful today, but just because he's still good today doesn't give any inherent value to what he brings to the table in the current game.

When you look at a champion objectively, you can't use the factor of time in how good they are now. Why do you think, objectively speaking, Hyperion's abilities are better than CGR
  • AssumedNameAssumedName Posts: 580 ★★★
    You only know the power of Hyperion when you’ve had him for a while. He does things he shouldn’t even be great for really well, and is normally a nice replacement if you don’t have a certain champ. He just works.

CGR is annoyingly overrated, and spam disagree if you want, his utility is awful.

You only know the power of Hyperion when you’ve had him for a while. He does things he shouldn’t even be great for really well, and is normally a nice replacement if you don’t have a certain champ. He just works.

CGR is annoyingly overrated, and spam disagree if you want, his utility is awful.

What about his utility is awful?

Yes, Hype is better, but CGR is still a god. He is the highest dealing champ in the game WITHOUT synergies, and his awakened ability is pretty helpful. He counters Mysterio and Ghost at the start of the fight without doing anything, and has easy access to massive armor breaks and many other buffs. So no he’s not overrated, and sure he might have a little less utility but it’s still more than a lot of champions and he makes up for it with his damage.