**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Sunspot

MelengwuMelengwu Posts: 102
edited August 2021 in Strategy and Tips
Just pulled a 6* sunspot. Never played him before. What are his best rotations and is he worth ranking up
Also have Emma Frost and gambit both duped. Who would help me more in end game content.
Thanks in advance
Post edited by Kabam Porthos on

Comments

• Options
    AndyBeardoAndyBeardo Posts: 180
    edited August 2021
    Great against everything that burns. Parry Heavy champ. The longer you hold heavy, the more incinerate units (look the exact word up) he keeps. against mid level opponents, wait till sp2 and take them down. against strong opponents, use some sp1s to make the sp2 stronger. sp3 is only to get incinerate units back (the damage is a joke). What makes him very good against very strong opponents is his perfect block when the opponent is burning. You need an aggressive playstyle though, because those incinerates can wear off quite quick.

Doesn't need the dupe, doesn't need synergies. But relies on specific playstyle. Great animations. Fun to play. Not among the best mutants but I have him as a maxed 5* and I don't regret it.
  • Options
    Stebo_79Stebo_79 Posts: 636 ★★★
    For short fights just get to 5 or 6 flare states and go for a SP2. Pretty much the same for longer fights but you'll need to charge heavies otherwide solar charges run out.
  • Options
    AndyBeardoAndyBeardo Posts: 180
    Melengwu said:

@AndyBeardo thanks. Would you rank him over Emma or gambit. Both are awakened

I'd rank him over Emma anytime. Some say Gambit is a great horseman – I don't have Apoc so I cannot say but without Apoc synergy I'd say Sunspot is better without a doubt.
  • Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

Melengwu said:

@AndyBeardo thanks. Would you rank him over Emma or gambit. Both are awakened

I'd rank him over Emma anytime. Some say Gambit is a great horseman – I don't have Apoc so I cannot say but without Apoc synergy I'd say Sunspot is better without a doubt.
    Sunspot has very little utility. I’d rank Emma and gambit over him in a heart beat.

Sunspot has incinerate, incinerate immunity, perfect block and that’s kinda it. He has very nice damage but in later content he doesn’t perform as well as more utility focussed champs.

Emma and gambit both have truck loads of utility, and with the horseman synergy, gambit is a new level of amazing.
  • Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    edited August 2021
    Melengwu said:

@BitterSteel does gambit need apoc to be amazing , where does he shine the most and does he need more sigs(have him @ 20)
    I think Emma is great as well. @Rockypantherx guide was very instrumental in my taking her to R2, even before I duped her.
    Where would u place sunspot in the current meta

Doesn’t need Apoc, he holds his own very well without. Just taken to a new level with the synergy.

Alone, he still has no passive damage back on medium, heavy and specials (no thorns, limbo etc), concussion, bleed resistance, stun on l1, decent power control (stunning opponent and doing MLM can reduce their power really well), massive special damage. The synergy really takes him way further, that perfect block gives him 9 hit combos, or if you want to power control you can do 5 hit combos now. And obviously the insane perfect block!

I love Gambit he’s gonna be my next r3, gonna select a mutant from SoP for him
  • Options
    RockypantherxRockypantherx Posts: 3,900 ★★★★★
    Melengwu said:

@BitterSteel does gambit need apoc to be amazing , where does he shine the most and does he need more sigs(have him @ 20)
    I think Emma is great as well. @Rockypantherx guide was very instrumental in my taking her to R2, even before I duped her.
    Where would u place sunspot in the current meta

Glad to see it could help!

As for your specific situation, Sunspot is one of those champs I’ve always found nice to have. I don’t use him much due to suicides but I certainly don’t regret ranking up my 5*.

Overall, I am of course going to say Emma is going to be the most useful. It sounds like you’ve still got some content progression to do, and she covers a whole lot of utility based in a roster. However, Gambit also has niche utility that you might find helpful in places such as the anti-thorns

I don’t know if you’re looking to R3 one of them yet, but if you are, Emma and Gambit are definitely the best options for that Mutant Catalyst. That’s not to say Sunspot is a bad champ, he’s far from it. But since his damage is already incredibly good at R2, and his perfect block makes him sustainable, I really don’t know how much benefit you would see from R3ing him. Emma probably gains the most in terms of damage from the R3, but her and Gambit are in a somewhat similar position damage wise, I would argue to Emma is just a bit more consistent with those important crits

Bottom line, all 3 will be useful to you in some capacity, and all are worth the R2.