**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Act 7 Chapter 3: A Matter of Time

THE FRESH AND THE FAMILIAR

Welcome to Chapter 3 of Marvel Contest of Champions’ Book 2 Act 1!

We’ve been overjoyed to see players engage with the unbelievable Gwenmaster in Chapter 2, and fight their way through the demands and challenges of Superiority! Without losing steam, we’ve charged into Chapter 3 with the renewed intent of bringing exciting encounter designs to the Contest. However, we recently found ourselves looking back fondly on the fun we had in Chapter 1, so for Chapter 3 we figured we’d bring back something familiar to compliment the new.

Chapter 3 features a unique set of nodes that are closely tied to the narrative, intended to highlight the chaos the Battlerealm is experiencing all through the Chapter. With that in mind we’d like to introduce everyone to Paradox, a brand new set of nodes that utilize cross-fight effects to help or hinder the player depending on how they play. Chapter 3 also sees the return of Class Support nodes paired up with a brand new set of Challenges intended to test Summoner’s skills and the limits of their rosters. So without further ado, here’s the low-down on the skinny behind Book 2 Act 1 Chapter 3 - A MATTER OF TIME.

IF IT AIN’T BROKE...

Chapter 3 carries over the same successful format as Chapter 2.
  1. 1 Act composed of 4 Chapters
  2. Each Chapter consists of 6 Quests
  3. Each Quest is composed of…
    - 6 Paths with 6 Encounter per Path
    - 3 Final Bosses (Not Path Dependent)
    - 1-3 Choice Nodes (found just before fighting the Final Bosses)
Choice Nodes return to give players a chance to swap out a non-KO’d 5 or 6-Star Champion for another in their roster.

The freshly swapped in Champion will enter the Quest at full health and ready to rumble. Summoners will find these Choice Nodes after the final Path Fight, but just before the Final Bosses, giving players a chance to swap in a Champion better suited for the challenges those Bosses present.

BOOK 2 ACT 1 CHAPTER 3 - QUEST BREAKDOWN & ENERGY COSTS

Each quest consists of 6 paths, with an average of 23 nodes per path. Each path also contains 6 fights, plus the Final Boss fight.

TOTAL COST OF COMPLETION: 414 Energy
TOTAL COST OF EXPLORATION: 2484 Energy

THE 6-STAR STANDARD

Before we start talking about the new Nodes in Chapter 3, it’s important to mention that we’ve kept the initial 6-Star Supporting Nodes we introduced in Chapter 1. We’ve decided to keep these three Global Nodes for the foreseeable future of Act 1, and have listed them below for reference.
  • Adrenaline Rush
    The Attacker gains up to 100% Damage Reduction at all times, scaling with their current Adrenaline. Adrenaline is gained after being Struck.

• Hold the Line
    The Attacker gains up to +80% Block Proficiency at all times, scaling with their current Adrenaline. Adrenaline is gained after being Struck.

• Star Power
    6-star Attackers gain a permanent Passive Fury, increasing Attack Rating by +700.

INFINITE REGRESSION

Drawing heavily from the inspiration of Chapter 3’s narrative, we wanted to push the boundaries of what could be done with Buff Nodes. We decided to come up with a system of Nodes that could be mixed and matched throughout the Chapter, giving players a consistent format with a minimal amount of change that still somehow delivers on varied and engaging fights. With that in mind, we designed and implemented Paradox.

Paradox is a Cross-Fight system, which means Champions who have Paradox at the end of one fight carry it with them into their next fight. This system is managed by a Global Node, and supported by a set of 3 Local Nodes that outline how the player gains Paradox, how they lose Paradox, and explains the challenge that requires them to have a minimum amount of Paradox. While having Paradox is important for overcoming challenges, players will need to be careful about how much they gain over the course of a fight, as too much will result in catastrophic consequences.

We use the Paradox - Breakdown Global Node to track the effects of Paradox across every fight inside a Quest, regardless of whether a specific fight has local Paradox Nodes or not.
  • (GLOBAL) Paradox - Breakdown
    If the Attacker ever has 9 or more Paradox Charges at one time, all Paradox Charges are removed and the Attacker suffers a burst of damage equal to 200% of their modified Attack. Each Paradox Charge on the Attacker reduces their Resistances by 5%.
Every Map in Chapter 3 features 2 Paradox Paths, which mix and match 1 of each of the following nodes: 1 Paradox, 1 Entropic, and 1 Quantum. Each path also features an extra Node or two to add some additional challenge to the encounters found on that path. Starting with the Paradox Nodes themselves, these Nodes are how each Champion gains Paradox during a fight. There is only ever one Paradox Node per Paradox Path.
  • Paradox - Block
    Whenever the Attacker performs a Well-Timed Block, they gain 1 Paradox Charge. Paradox Charges are Cross-Fight Abilities and carry over between fights.

• Paradox - Special
    Whenever the Attacker or Defender activates a Special Attack, the Attacker gains 1 Paradox Charge. Paradox Charges are Cross-Fight Abilities and carry over between fights.

• Paradox - Buffs
    Whenever the Attacker gains a Buff, they also gain 1 Paradox Charge. Paradox Charges are Cross-Fight Abilities and carry over between fights.

• Paradox - Debuffs
    Whenever the Attacker applies a Debuff to the Defender, they gain 1 Paradox Charge. Paradox Charges are Cross-Fight Abilities and carry over between fights.

• Paradox - Knock Down
    Whenever the Attacker knocks down the Defender, the Attacker gains 1 Paradox Charge. Paradox Charges are Cross-Fight Abilities and carry over between fights.

• Paradox - Combo
    The Attacker gains 1 Paradox Charge for every 5 hits in their Combo Meter. Paradox Charges are Cross-Fight Abilities and carry over between fights.
Every Paradox Node is paired up with an Entropic Node. These Entropic Nodes provide a passive benefit to Champions based on how much Paradox they have, and dictate how players can remove Paradox from their Champions.
  • Entropic Prowess
    The Attacker gains +30% to their Special Attack Rating for each Paradox Charge on the Attacker. Whenever the Defender is knocked down, remove 1 Paradox Charge from the Attacker.

• Entropic Burn
    The last hit of the Attacker's Special Attack Power Burns the Defender for 15% of their Max Power for each Paradox on the Attacker. Whenever the Attacker performs a Well-Timed Block, remove 1 Paradox Charge from the Attacker.

• Entropic Aptitude
    The Attacker gains +30% Buff Potency for each Paradox on the Attacker. Whenever the Attacker Dodges an attack using the Dexterity Mastery, remove 1 Paradox Charge from the Attacker.

• Entropic Extinction
    The Attacker gains +30% Debuff Potency for each Paradox on the Attacker. Whenever the Attacker interrupts the Defender's Light or Medium Attacks, remove 1 Paradox Charge from the Attacker.

• Entropic Generator
    The Attacker gains +20% Offensive Combat Power Rate for each Paradox on the Attacker. Whenever the Attacker ends a combo with a Light Attack, remove 1 Paradox Charge from the Attacker.

• Entropic Impairment
    The Attacker gains +30% Debuff Duration for each Paradox on the Attacker. Whenever the Attacker activates a Special Attack, remove 1 Paradox Charge from the Attacker for each Bar of Power consumed.
Lastly, each Paradox Path features a Quantum Node, which applies an extra ability to the Defender that is only disabled when the Attacker has 3 or more Paradox.
  • Quantum Safeguard
    The Defender reduces all incoming damage by 90%. This damage reduction is disabled while the Attacker has 3 or more Paradox Charges.

• Quantum Entangle
    The Attacker suffers -100% Defensive Ability Accuracy. This Defensive Ability Accuracy reduction is disabled while the Attacker has 3 or more Paradox Charges.

• Quantum Immunity
    The Defender is Debuff Immune. This Immunity is disabled if the Attacker has 3 or more Paradox Charges.

• Quantum Control
    Whenever the Attacker strikes the Defender, 1 Buff on the Attacker is nullified. This nullify effect is disabled if the Attacker has 3 or more Paradox Charges.

• Quantum Power
    The Defender has +100% Combat Power Rate. This Combat Power Rate boost is disabled if the Attacker has 3 or more Paradox Charges.

• Quantum Invasion
    The Defender is Unblockable. This Unblockable is disabled if the Attacker has 3 or more Paradox Charges.

A CLASS ACT

Paradox isn’t the only new thing in the Battlerealm for Chapter 3. We’ve gone back to Chapter 1 and brought back some of our favourite Class Support Nodes that were intended to uplift the majority of Champs in a single Class. In order to spice up the return of Class Support Nodes we’ve added a new set of Challenge Nodes intended to provide an extra layer of difficulty for players to test themselves against.
  • Galvanize
    Every 15 second(s) the Defender alternates between Charge-Up and Overcharge. While in Charge-Up, hitting into the Defender's Block inflicts a Shock Debuff dealing 200% of their Attack over 6 second(s). While in Overcharge, all of the Defender's attacks are Unblockable.

• Precision Parry
    The Defender is immune to Stun Debuffs. While the Attacker has 1 or more Precision Buffs active, whenever they perform a Well-Timed Block they apply a Passive Stun to the Defender for 0.5 second(s) per Precision Buff. When this Passive Stun expires, all Precision Buffs on the Attacker are removed.

• Riot
    The Defender starts the fight with an indefinite Unblockable Buff. Whenever the Defender is knocked down by a Special Attack, the Unblockable Buff is replaced with an Unstoppable Buff. Whenever the Defender is struck with the first hit of a Heavy Attack, the Unstoppable Buff is replaced with an Unblockable Buff.

• Rejuvenate
    Every 3 second(s) the Defender gains an indefinite Regen Passive, restoring 0.2% Max Health per second per stack. While Poisoned, the Defender loses 2 Regen passives every 1 second(s). The Defender cannot gain new Regen Passives while suffering from a Poison effect.

• Shake and Bake
    Every 10 second(s) the Attacker is inflicted with an indefinite Concussion Passive reducing Ability Accuracy by 20%. Max 5. Whenever the Attacker knocks down the Defender, all Concussions are removed.

• Suffocation
    Whenever the Defender is struck they have a 100% chance to inflict a Stifle Debuff on the Attacker for 6 second(s) reducing their Combat Power Rate by 25%, up to a max of 4. Each unique Buff on the Attacker reduces the chance of inflicting a Stifle by 30%.

• Endurance Trial
    The Defender reduces all incoming damage by 100%. This damage reduction is reduced by 25% for each Debuff on the Defender. Max 0%. Pause all Debuffs on the Defender during their Special Attacks.

• Triple Threat
    Whenever the Defender is struck by a Basic Attack, they have a 50% chance to apply a randomly chosen Incinerate, Cold Snap, or Bleed Debuff on the Attacker. Debuffs inflicted by Triple Threat deal 50% of the Attacker's Attack over 20 second(s). The Potency of Debuffs inflicted by Triple Threat is reduced by 5% for every 10 hits in the Attacker's Combo Meter to a max of 90%.

• Arms Race
    Both the Attacker and Defender gain a Passive Fury during their Special Attacks based on the Defender's Power.
    - While below 1 Bar of Power, they gain +25% Attack.
    - While between 1 and 2 Bars of Power, they gain +75% Attack.
    - While above 2 Bars of Power, they gain +200% Attack.

• Hubris
    The Defender reduces all incoming damage by 90%. When the Defender activates a Special Attack, this damage reduction is disabled. When the Defender finishes a Special Attack, they take a burst of damage equal to 350% of the damage they took during their Special Attack. After this damage is applied, the damage reduction is reactivated.

• Grudge
    While the Defender is suffering from a Heal Block or Power Lock, the Attacker gains +100% Combat Power Rate. Whenever a Heal Block or Power Lock expires on the Defender, they gain a Passive non-stacking Debuff Immunity for 5 second(s).

• Scrap Wars
    Whenever the Attacker is afflicted with an Armor Break, the Defender gains an Armor Up Buff increasing their Armor by 20% for 10 second(s). Whenever the Defender is inflicted with an Armor Break, the Attacker gains an Armor Up Buff increasing their Armor by 20% for 10 second(s).

ONE MORE THING...

While working on Chapter 3, we realized we’d neglected to round out our library of Buff Nodes with a vital inclusion. We figured it was about time to roll out a Node that was long overdue...
  • Live Wire!
    Both the Attacker and Defender's strikes have a 20% chance to apply a Shock Debuff, dealing 50% of their modified attack as Energy Damage over 10 seconds.

PAYBACK TIME

Book 2.1.3 sees the return of an iconic Contest villain - KANG THE CONQUEROR! He’s had ample time to rebuild his forces and train himself in anticipation of a proper rematch with not only the Summoner, but an entire Battlerealm’s worth of Champions deserving of Kang’s wrath! Armed with challenging mechanics, and some slick new moves, Kang is sure to showcase how he got his namesake as “The Conqueror” when Summoners face off against him at the end of Chapter 3.

NOTHING VENTURED

Book 2.1.3 features Path Rewards, Completion Rewards, and Exploration Rewards. In anticipation of the challenge presented by Kang and his minions, we’ve updated the rewards for this Chapter. Check them out below!

Chapter 3 Completion Rewards
1x Tier 5 Class Catalyst Crystal (25%)
1x Tier 5 Class Catalyst Selector (25%)
1x 6-Star Rank up Gem 1 > 2 Crystal
20x 6-Star Signature Stone Crystals
20 000x 6-Star Champion Crystal Shards
1 500 000x Gold

Chapter 3 Exploration Rewards
6750x Tier 3 Alpha Catalyst Fragments
14250x Tier 6 Basic Catalyst Fragments
4x Tier 5 Class Catalyst Selector (25%)
2x 6-Star Nexus Crystal
30x 6-Star Signature Stones
2 000 000x Gold

Quest Completion and Exploration Rewards
6x Tier 5 Class Iso (different for each Quest)
4x Tier 6 Class Iso (different for each Quest)

Path Rewards
These rewards can only be picked up on paths inside a given Quest once.

2x Gold Pickups (50 000 Gold each)
2x Unit Pickups (45 units each)
2x 6-Star Shard Pickups (1000 shards each)
2x Tier 2 Alpha Catalyst Fragment Pickups (18 000 Fragments each)
2x Tier 2 Alpha Catalyst Fragment Pickups (27 000 Fragments each)
2x Tier 5 Basic Catalyst Fragments Pickups (22 500 Fragments each)

FINAL WORDS

We’d like to take a moment to thank everyone who came out for our Chapter 3 Beta. Community feedback and support helps us stay the course on keeping Story Quests an exciting, engaging, and exemplary experience for all of our players. Chapter 4 is already under way, and we’re looking forward to hearing from everyone on how you find Book 2 Act 1 Chapter 3.

As always, thank you all for your patience, your passion, and your participation.
Good luck Summoners!
Post edited by Kabam Miike on

Comments

• IronGladiator22IronGladiator22 Posts: 1,637 ★★★★
    Use this thread to share any thoughts, experiences, counters, etc you may have about 7.3!
  • BadPullsMarcoBadPullsMarco Posts: 418 ★★★
    Anyone know where the 6 star shards are in the first quest?
  • StevieManWonderStevieManWonder Posts: 5,017 ★★★★★
    So far I’ve only done the debuff paradox path in 7.3.1 and it was fun. I almost soloed the RG boss with a r4 Morningstar. I’m also doing this chapter itemless which I’m looking forward too.
    Also can someone tag me when the end of chapter deal is shown, I want to know if I should save up units for it. Thanks!
  • TheBair123TheBair123 Posts: 5,344 ★★★★★
    I’ll go through each quest I do, all timeless without boosts

7.1.1: BWDO, Mags, and Void solo’d Power Shield Path. Quake solo’d the Ultron boss
  • QfuryQfury Posts: 1,860 ★★★★★
    edited October 2021
    7.3.1 & 7.3.2 down so far... No head aches yet.. took Ultron boss & immortal Hulk boss.

7.3.1 took the parry thingy path.. did it all with R3 hit monkey and was fine

7.3.2 took the buff synthesis path with hitmonkey and just did medium light, back off rinse and repeat.. also used hitmonkey for the boss.

How's everyone else getting on
  • DeaconDeacon Posts: 4,060 ★★★★★
    someone say path rewards??? tell me more.
  • DawsManDawsMan Posts: 2,146 ★★★★★
    like 7.1 they are visibile except a little more 6* shards
  • Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,916 ★★★★★
    Pretty cool how you have to 100% complete 7.3 to get any t6b or t3a!!!
  • xNigxNig Posts: 7,243 ★★★★★
    Omg. The path rewards are for per quest.

So it’s whatever is stated on the announcement x 6.
  • xNigxNig Posts: 7,243 ★★★★★
    edited October 2021
    Graves_3 said:

xNig said:

That’s how it’s always been for the previous acts. Wasn’t it?
    Yeah. I misread the announcement thinking they could only be claimed once for the entire chapter. But it’s x6 cause it’s per quest.

Additional 12k shards, 15 t2a and 6 t5b.
  • Graves_3Graves_3 Posts: 1,301 ★★★★★
    xNig said:

Graves_3 said:

xNig said:

Yeah. I misread the announcement thinking they could only be claimed once for the entire chapter. But it’s x6 cause it’s per quest.

T5B..yummm!! 😋
  • TyphoonTyphoon Posts: 1,748 ★★★★★
    I'd love to try 7.3, but parry bug says no. Refuse to burn items when they aren't compensated properly in solo content.
  • SkyLord7000SkyLord7000 Posts: 3,999 ★★★★★
    xNig said:

Graves_3 said:

xNig said:

Don’t forget the 540 units 👀
  • Killswitch01Killswitch01 Posts: 669 ★★★
    Jaded said:

So tired of reading novels in game

I love em though 😁

Just finished 7.3.1. BWCV absolutely wrecked the muscle wizard path. Almost soloed taskmaster with Angela. I finished him off with Hitmonkey.
    I'll tackle the next quest tomorrow
  • JhonST33JhonST33 Posts: 499 ★★★
    edited October 2021

Jaded said:

So tired of reading novels in game

I love em though 😁

Just finished 7.3.1. BWCV absolutely wrecked the muscle wizard path. Almost soloed taskmaster with Angela. I finished him off with Hitmonkey.
    I'll tackle the next quest tomorrow
    I also finish the path with BWCV, I chosed red goblin, first try doom, bad chose, I finish him easily with BWCV, with the course that place poison, she control the figth.
  • odishika123odishika123 Posts: 5,376 ★★★★★
    Ronan cheeses 7.3.1 red goblin
    And is a very good option for 7.3.2 buff synthesis path
  • Valentinos13Valentinos13 Posts: 400 ★★★

So far I’ve only done the debuff paradox path in 7.3.1 and it was fun. I almost soloed the RG boss with a r4 Morningstar. I’m also doing this chapter itemless which I’m looking forward too.
    Also can someone tag me when the end of chapter deal is shown, I want to know if I should save up units for it. Thanks!

@StevieManWonder
  • DeaconDeacon Posts: 4,060 ★★★★★
    xNig said:

explain please