**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Robot predicament - buffed Ultron of buffed Nebula to R3

TitoBandito187TitoBandito187 Posts: 2,072 ★★★★
edited November 2021 in Strategy and Tips
Hi all, not going to make this a poll as I just want some feedback / thoughts on who would be the better option for my current roster and future progression. I'm sure everyone has their favorite overall, but personal bias aside, who would you R3 and why? Here's some background:

- Prestige doesn't matter for me - my ally is for fun only.

- Nebula is at sig 40 and Ultron is unduped

- I have synergies to consider with 6* R3 G2099 unduped, 6* R3 Warlock unduped, 6* R2 Hulkbuster unduped and 6* R1 Proxima unduped but I doubt I'd bring Proxima in most scenarios or bother to rank her unless she ends up making Nebula even crazier, which, with the faster ramp up now, probably won't be anytime soon.

- I think Ultron has an easy play style, that armor up buff is great and reliable heal

- Nebula was my first 6* and her shock damage is crazy good, but missing that armor up buff and there is still a lot of block holding to really maximize that damage.

- I'm not running suicides. Even though I have a team that supports them, I like throwing those specials. I literally put them on yesterday for 30 minutes and immediately took them off after remembering how gimped they make most of my other favorite champs to play.

Ultimately, it will come down to my own personal decision, but any blaring thoughts about what you would do and why?

Post edited by Kabam Pertinax on

Comments

• TheBair123TheBair123 Posts: 5,344 ★★★★★
    i don't want to throw a wrench in your decision but that hulkbuster looks enticing. between the two, i would go ultron
  • Killswitch01Killswitch01 Posts: 668 ★★★
    I got both champs as 6 stars. Ultron is still the best way to go. He's also my first r3
  • TitoBandito187TitoBandito187 Posts: 2,072 ★★★★

I'd go Ultron over Nebula because I simply don't find that holding block playstyle fun at all (tbf, I have not played Nebula at all since her buff, so she may very well have a playstyle where holding block isn't necessary).

I've got Ultron at R3 and he hits like a truck, has some nice utility, and he is extremely sustainable. The only thing I don't like about him is the evade mechanic. I really, really, really wish it didn't activate when a perfectly timed block would activate - it's killed the rotation and flow of the fight quite a few times.

Yeah, when you're looking at the defender buffs, sometimes I forget to look at my own and have gone for the parry and ended up evading the first 3 hits and then getting smacked in the face. I can get used to that though. Honestly, they'll both go up eventually, and I am leaning ultron just for the play style, but Nebula's shock damage is bonkers.

i don't want to throw a wrench in your decision but that hulkbuster looks enticing. between the two, i would go ultron

Yeah, he's been on the bucket list, but he smashes CAV eq as R2, is lacking immunities and isn't duped yet. Wish I could take them all up already - champ choices are finally no longer an issue... lack of CAT5 is the hurdle these days.
  • odishika123odishika123 Posts: 5,370 ★★★★★
    Proxima isn't bad
  • ReignkingTWReignkingTW Posts: 2,483 ★★★★★
    Agree on HB; I'm taking Guardian up over him once I get 1% more.

Proxima isn't bad

True. She's not my cup of tea. I did use her for Aegon synergy for CAV eq skill this month though. One ramp up champ a team is enough for me.
  • GoddessIliasGoddessIlias Posts: 706 ★★★★
    Ultron. It’s honestly not remotely close imo. The gaping holes in nebula’s kit still exist, she just has much easier access to her damage and the overall damage is better. Ultron got much better utility, better consistency, and can compete for best robot in the game, while nebula doesn’t crack top 3 in the category imo.
  • CyborgNinja135CyborgNinja135 Posts: 1,077 ★★★★
    Ultron easily. Mine is still at r2 but for the lanes I've brought him for in act 7 that's more than enough to end the fight quickly. His playstyle is simple and satisfying. Great amount of utility and the regen coupled with the double immunities make him very sustainable
  • MysterioMysterio Posts: 1,059 ★★★★
    Mysterio could use that R3 aswell!
    Thanks everyone. I was leaning on Ultron and just wanted to see how others were feeling on Nebula. Her big yellow numbers and shock damage are crazy good, but I think for general questing and stuff, Ultron will see more use. I took him up and already impressed by the damage increase so am pretty happy. Eventually, I'll get Nebula, HB and Mysterio up (and Ghost, even though I'm not a good Ghost player - and she's not duped so my 5* comes out to play when absolutely needed).

So many champs... so little resources :)
  • World EaterWorld Eater Posts: 3,542 ★★★★★
    Ultron
  • TrubluMateTrubluMate Posts: 358 ★★★
    I would hold until the next variant if that’s a consideration. Nebula being the only triple immune merc
  • GOTGGOTG Posts: 1,040 ★★★★
    Ultron. Despite all the hype from youtubers I still don't find Nebula useful or easy to use at all. Her damage without shock is incredibly low as well.
  • PolygonPolygon Posts: 3,797 ★★★★★
    Is Nebula seriously being compared to Ultron? She’s leagues below him. Her regen isn’t even enough to sustain suicides , whereas Ultron has immense regen. She has poor block proficiency as well. I’m baffled at this thread.
  • ThatGuyYouSaw235ThatGuyYouSaw235 Posts: 3,142 ★★★★★
    GOTG said:

Ultron. Despite all the hype from youtubers I still don't find Nebula useful or easy to use at all. Her damage without shock is incredibly low as well.

maybe because the shock is the damage
  • J0eySn0wJ0eySn0w Posts: 864 ★★★★
    edited November 2021
    I've been playing Nebula for a while now since her release. I think I and I'm sure others need some more time to tell how r3 worthy she is. But there are promising signs and a few concerns I've noticed. It could also be that I'm not that skillful with her.
    - robot counter, simple 5 amp charges. However, holding on to it may mean you don't parry for reasonable period during the fight (eg. until your sp3 where you can reliably gain some charge to reduce robot ability). You can offload amp charges for damage but can mess up with your AAR on these robots. In general you have to be cautious when you trade this utility for damage.
    - (no adjective) regen, I guess "if you make a mistake" regen works. Would have been better if it was ultron style regen. In cases where you want to hold block when it's needed, having a reliable regen can help mitigate some the damage from blocking
    - post-buff gives her an alternate playstyle with fewer holding of block via her sp3 + sig ability. However, you need a responsive AI to benefit from her sp3 Weapon Overcharge abilities. Having to bait specials and/or managing nodes can prevent you from fully benefiting from it by expiring too early. I wished they made it such that it is paused at least during the opponent's specials attacks. That way you're not punished for an unresponsive AI given the efforts it took to get to an sp3.
    [ To linger a little on this point, another example is Gamora...something as small as combo into heavy to refresh her buffs even with a timer could have lift her up but of course they didn't think of it ]

I just get disappointed with some of these little things that could go a long way to helping some of these champs but for some reason they miss them. I wonder if they test them enough or not at all, I doubt the latter but who knows.
    In general, I like her, her immunity combination is nice and can be valuable in some cases. Also she can dish out some massive damage. I'd say r2 Nebula is good for now unless you have abundant resources and will say the same for Ultron especially cos he's unduped. My 2cents.
  • Pdogg614Pdogg614 Posts: 78
    Ultron is crazy at r3, def him.
  • PolygonPolygon Posts: 3,797 ★★★★★
    J0eySn0w said:

I've been playing Nebula for a while now since her release. I think I and I'm sure others need some more time to tell how r3 worthy she is. But there are promising signs and a few concerns I've noticed. It could also be that I'm not that skillful with her.
    - robot counter, simple 5 amp charges. However, holding on to it may mean you don't parry for reasonable period during the fight (eg. until your sp3 where you can reliably gain some charge to reduce robot ability). You can offload amp charges for damage but can mess up with your AAR on these robots. In general you have to be cautious when you trade this utility for damage.
    - (no adjective) regen, I guess "if you make a mistake" regen works. Would have been better if it was ultron style regen. In cases where you want to hold block when it's needed, having a reliable regen can help mitigate some the damage from blocking
    - post-buff gives her an alternate playstyle with fewer holding of block via her sp3 + sig ability. However, you need a responsive AI to benefit from her sp3 Weapon Overcharge abilities. Having to bait specials and/or managing nodes can prevent you from fully benefiting from it by expiring too early. I wished they made it such that it is paused at least during the opponent's specials attacks. That way you're not punished for an unresponsive AI given the efforts it took to get to an sp3.
    [ To linger a little on this point, another example is Gamora...something as small as combo into heavy to refresh her buffs even with a timer could have lift her up but of course they didn't think of it ]

I just get disappointed with some of these little things that could go a long way to helping some of these champs but for some reason they miss them. I wonder if they test them enough or not at all, I doubt the latter but who knows.
    In general, I like her, her immunity combination is nice and can be valuable in some cases. Also she can dish out some massive damage. I'd say r2 Nebula is good for now unless you have abundant resources and will say the same for Ultron especially cos he's unduped. My 2cents.

I agree with you, there’s just too many things that feel incomplete about her kit due to the reasons you’ve listed. That’s why I’d mainly just use her for things like her shock immunity. It’s unfortunate, because she could’ve been close to ultron had her kit didnt involve you making those sacrifices and other shortcomings like her regen and block proficiency
    Yup, I went Ultron and took him to AQ with Warlock and G2099 and I used him exclusively other than the Apoc boss which I gave to G2099 (after her 1 ramp up fight). Even unduped, he was a lot of fun and look forward to using him in general quests and side quests. My non-suicide roster is on point, but now that I have 3 big robots, a newly duped 6* R2 corvus with my next consideration for a cosmic R3 and a newly acquired 6* diablo, I could see using suicides more to switch things up from time to time. No regrets and will save up for Nebula to R3 next, just to have her unique shock immunity and damage. I don't mind playing here style, just don't want to play her that way, all the time. If I dupe HB before then, then he could go up before her still too. Nice to have options - just a waiting game for the resources and prioritizing who gets them first.
  • World EaterWorld Eater Posts: 3,542 ★★★★★

GOTG said:

To be fair, ultrons damage is dead in bleed immune matchups
    Unless you’re up against a mutant