**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

NEW CAV EQ NODES: MY THOUGHTS

Amms90Amms90 Posts: 334 ★★★
edited December 2021 in General Discussion
Ok here are my thoughts on the new cav eq nodes:

First of all I want to say that the number of nodes and the amount of reading we're supposed to go through is getting out of hand. KABAM PLEASE MAKE IT SHORTER AND SIMPLER, THAT WAS THE GOAL RIGHT?

With that being said, I want to express the feeling that I understand that Kabam wants to try and make us use more champions than just a few. To encourage diversity in champion use. I understand this and it can be a positive. At the same time there is a negative to this in itself: the fact that I DON'T WANT to rank up champions only to deal with cav eq. And I'm not going to rank up champions that I have no use for in other game content I have to tackle (act 6 exploration, act 7.4 when it will come out, aq, aw). For example for the 1.2 quest the only champ I have above 6s r1 is red hulk. I have him both as r2 6s and r5 5s. Anything else that fits the tags, either I don't have it or I have it at low rank.

So a further question: given that I don't want to pointlessly waste resources to rank up champs only for the eq, since I do have some options for example as r1 6 stars, are they usable? Yes of course. Given that they benefit from the nodes, I could use them.

But then again, is it really an advantage? My answer is no. I'd rather use my ranked up champions that have better ways to deal with the defenders. Plus, the attack bonus you get from the node, even when fully ramped up, is not that impressive.

Let me clarify: in the 1.2 quest I did use rhulk and I got all the way to 10 furies but as I was getting power locked all the time (he has no consistent access to debuffs except from parry stuns) I had no access to my specials. I found out using other champs of the same rank which didn't fit the listed tags but were better match ups for the defenders and had better access to debuffs, so they could access their specials, was pretty much as effective as using rhulk. If not MORE effective (depending on the opponent). So given these considerations I'm gonna say that overall I'm not encouraged to use rank 1 6 star champs that fit the tags over my 5/65 or maybe r2 or r3 6 stars that I already use for everything else. Talking about doom, apoc, torch etc etc. Similar reasoning goes for the 1.1 for example... I do have hype and cap marvel which fit the tag, but I just used void and let the opponents die from reverting their regen. When I did use hype a couple times and got up to 10 furies I did notice some damage increase. But void was faster than hype with 10 passive furies + his own.

And I could go on... the chapter with the energize passive? Just doom cycle most of the defenders without worrying about the stupid energize and making them throw specials every 10 seconds. Like seriously...

Then let's talk about champions tags. OH MY GOD WHAT A MESS. Thankfully somebody is making charts to make things clearer but in game it's not possible to get a clue about all the champs in my roster that would benefit from the node. Every chapter lists 2-3 tags of champions, but from the in game options I can sort by 1 tag and then I can add an additional tag to restrict the sorting even more. It's not letting me view champions with 1 tag or the other, it's showing me champs with both tags. Given this, it's a complete mess. I would have to check every tag one at a time to figure out with champs from my roster would be good and then after checking that I'd have to remember which are which and then figure out a team based on the tags, the path, the nodes, the defenders, the boss... I mean this is pretty much a failure in itself. I can't even sort out the needed champs from the options that are available in game. I have to like build a chart and list all possible options and then from those figure out which I have available to use.

Therefore what I'm actually GLAD ABOUT is that I'm able to just ignore all this nonsense and just use whatever I want.

TO SUMMARIZE:
1) too many nodes, too much stuff to read to understand what's going on
2) the multiple tags make sorting messy and confusing
3) many available champs from most tags are otherwise useless in game content. Not encouraged to rank them up specifically for cav eq (also see point 4)
4) bonus from the node doesn't actually make a good enough difference when comparing using a champ with the correct tag and a champ which doesn't have it. Actually, it's quite the opposite. In fact when I have to deal with hyperion or something, I want power control. I don't care for using domino against hyperion because domino is mercenary and so she'll get some passive furies. Like literally, if hype doesn't cooperate I'll get destroyed by sp3s. While using doom I'll doom cycle him and get it done easily. Therefore I'll pick my team not based on tags but based on utility against defenders and ability to deal with other nodes.

CONCLUSION:
The node design is horrible. It's not making the eq unplayable since you can just ignore the benefits and the tags and all that mess and build a decent team without thinking about it. I mean what I like is that you don't REQUIRE those specific champs to get through it. Then again the benefits are so irrelevant that even when I do have available options I won't necessarily pick those champs over others. Because the attack increase is not everything that's needed to clear a path. Utility and abilities to deal with certain fights are more important than attack increase (especially given it's not that much).

-So is node design encouraging to use other champs? No
-Is node design better than last months? No
-Does node design make the fights faster? No. When comparing the hit count from ramped up champs that benefit from the tag and others that don't fit the tag but have a better match against the defender, I see they're pretty much the same. Rather, in 1.1 letting them die from their own regen with void was faster than using ramped up hyperion.
-Does clearing cav eq take longer or shorter when compared to last months? It takes considerably longer because last months the restriction was class specific and we all have SOME champs that are already ranked up and benefit from the class nodes. Not to mention that some champs were so great with pretty much all variations of the class specific nodes that maybe we even ranked up some of them for that specifically. To run that content faster. Let's take a simple example: Angela was great with every possible cosmic node variation. With some variation, she'd be able to clear a fight in 20-30 hits. Not saying she's useless elsewhere, which again is a reason why one would be encouraged to rank her up. But let's be real I'm not ranking up iron patriot because he can be used in 2 different missions in the eq. That champ sucks and I wouldn't pick him over any other champs, not with 10 passive furies nor with 20 passive furies. And he's useless in story content and aq and aw (both as a defender and as an attacker) and so on and so forth. Useless champ will keep on being arena fodder and that's that.

Given all the things written above I must say I'm veeeeeeeery disappointed in the direction the game is taking. Nodes getting more annoying, taking forever to read and often confusing. Fights taking longer than before (no matter if you use the right champ or not, the fights are long). And I'm not even talking about kraven. I thought the community was clear about root being awful but here we have it. It's funny. You ask us: "Do you like root?" we: "NO!" you: "ok, just asking... we're still giving you root anyway"

Comments

• OGAvengerOGAvenger Posts: 1,105 ★★★★★
    OGAvenger said:

After 1.1 I stopped reading the nodes and just brought the same 5-7 champs to plow everything down.

I only say that because after one quest it became a hassle to read everything and I realized pretty quick the “benefits” for specific champs weren’t worth taking the time to find the right champs and bring them in
  • SatsuiNoHadouSatsuiNoHadou Posts: 753 ★★★
    3 letters to rule this month’s EQ: CGR. Anything else and you’re just wasting your time reading the nodes. 😂
  • Crimson8399Crimson8399 Posts: 749 ★★★
    edited December 2021
    Good nodes for Captain Marvel
  • laserjohn26laserjohn26 Posts: 1,456 ★★★★
    I just have used Hercules up until 3.1. A couple paths to go but very poorly designed quest. I would say it's as annoying as any path in 7.3. Not that it's too difficult just not fun. I explore as I go so haven't touched 3.2 yet, but I'm sure it's more of the same.

That being said I'll have it explored in one evening and not have to think about it again. Which I hope isn't what kabaam is going for. Just have to rush through content to clear it and it's more like a chore than a game.

I don't have much hope for 7.4 if the beta is any indication. At this point I'm invested enough to explore 7.4 but that's about it.. The game just isn't fun anymore. I'm having trouble even wanting to log in at times.
  • AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    I like how the furies carry over to the boss. That was missing in the other iterations
  • Scratchmaster23Scratchmaster23 Posts: 165 ★★
    Game has been absolutely terrible for months & months and has been harder to get motivated to play, but this month EQ design has possibly just topped it off. This direction is not good at all and needs to be looked at or the already dwindling community may finally hang up their gloves, which will be a shame as like most people, alot of time & effort has been invested in it.
    As mentioned in above posts, it seems as if we need an A level in deciphering mcoc node descriptions prior to choosing a team to play. Also, people's view's and comments need to be listened to and surveys filled out talking of the issues & problems found addressed, otherwise why are we constantly wasting our time.
    Last month's side quest and EQ was made too difficult for alot of people unless they had high enough, SPECIFIC champ counters but this month's EQ has gone in an even worse direction what is going on. Side quest however is somewhat more enjoyable and doable (so far) but otherwise for a supposedly exciting month on the mcoc calendar its not off to a good start.
  • Badass84Badass84 Posts: 316 ★★★
    Everything what has been written is absolutely correct. It's the most annoying monthly quest since there cavalier-difficulty was released.
    For me the monthly event always has been fun and something I was looking forward to.
    But this month... sorry not sorry, what the hell is this? Even without the consisting bugs.

3.1. Champs need to be stunned so they don't get unblockbable, even without the nodes that makes it nearly impossible to stunned the opponent, we still have a parry-bug.

Just go back to class-related nodes and everything will be fine...
  • Amms90Amms90 Posts: 334 ★★★

I like how the furies carry over to the boss. That was missing in the other iterations

That's true but the boss is often designed to require a specific set of abilities to counter it and more often than not you need to bring someone specifically for that fight. Which 99% of the time is not a champ which benefits from the tag. Given that, you can still just throw against the boss whatever camp you built up on the path, with some effect. But it's not as good as one may think...
  • AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    Amms90 said:

That's true but the boss is often designed to require a specific set of abilities to counter it and more often than not you need to bring someone specifically for that fight. Which 99% of the time is not a champ which benefits from the tag. Given that, you can still just throw against the boss whatever camp you built up on the path, with some effect. But it's not as good as one may think...
    I used CGR and corvus agaisnt kraven and I didn't have to even read his kit . At all. Solos most of the time. Else a two shot
  • Amms90Amms90 Posts: 334 ★★★

Amms90 said:

I used CGR and corvus agaisnt kraven and I didn't have to even read his kit . At all. Solos most of the time. Else a two shot
    that's true for kraven, it's possible to power through him... but not for the other bosses. Besides the champ is designed as an annoying defender and we're bound to face him in future content as well as aw
  • istwan17istwan17 Posts: 7
    Could't agree more. These nodes are getting out of hand. The amount of time u need, just to reed them and prepare for them is just ridiculous. Not just the new but 7.3 too. I really hope they change it, because this isn't fun anymore...
  • Jwallace25Jwallace25 Posts: 481 ★★★
    I agree there is too much reading and studying going on. Every new champ has paragraphs of content to learn combined with paragraphs and combinations of nodes to read. I play this game to get away from school, not to earn another degree.
  • Nalak8Nalak8 Posts: 387 ★★★
    Thank to the nodes on this month’s EQ because it tipped me over to not caring about even completing EQ. The fights are long and frustrating without the right tagged champs. This month really helped make my decision easier to fold this game after December. I’ll probably log in occasionally but will leave my Alliance and just not do any more EQ, AQ or AW.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 5,476 ★★★★★
    Completely agree.

Although I didn’t realize people were struggling with Kraven. Corvus with the cross fight abilities or cgr basically demolished him quickly. Didn’t even worry about him throwing specials.
  • J0eySn0wJ0eySn0w Posts: 865 ★★★★
    I just finished exploring it. It’s far from perfect but I did enjoy it, really did and that’s just me. I used a lot of non-tagged champs together with tagged champs, and that may be why I enjoyed it. Some node combos and interactions were a bit awkward but I like they’re trying not to make Cav EQ repetitive and it’s the first time in EQ. I’m pretty sure they’ll improve upon it as we go. Between the class based EQ and this month’s, which will I choose? Honestly, I’m very happy I did something different this month. If they wanna alternate it every month, I’m down for it if it satisfies those that want the class based. As long they try to not make it repetitive I will appreciate it.