**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

New Balance Designer Revealed!

ChikelChikel Posts: 2,058 ★★★★

I don't know anything about him so I'd appreciate it if people more knowledgeable tell me if this is a good thing or bad thing

Comments

• GrassKnucklesGrassKnuckles Posts: 1,922 ★★★★★
    wow
  • Dart1981Dart1981 Posts: 222 ★★★

he's in my BG, he's a good guy and will do good things. He's definitely game smart and decently skilled, excited about his addition

That’s good to know, fingers crossed he can have a positive impact on the game!
  • magnus_xixmagnus_xix Posts: 2,020 ★★★★★
    Whats his CV like? 🤔
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,173 ★★★★★

thepiggy said:

This is by no means a knock on this guy (congrats by the way), but why are we all assuming it will be good just because he "plays at a high level?"

Watch his content. Smart, knows his stuff, and has high level first hand experience with the game.
    And I'm not doubting his knowledge or anything like that. I am just wondering because someone is a good, advanced player we assume that he is a good guy for this role.
    cradleman said:

You should be excited that they made such a solid pick and hopefully his influence can be seen as the things kabam mentioned yesterday (carina 2 and war tactics) eventually get rolled out.
    "

With all due resect nothing about this system excites me. Carina, yes, that is good news. I hope it works great and it works, but I jsut don't see how it improves the game at all.

You're basing your opinion on an imagined result. Maybe see how it plays out first? Maybe it will stink, maybe not.

• Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,173 ★★★★★
    This is a cool move IMO.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian

This is by no means a knock on this guy (congrats by the way), but why are we all assuming it will be good just because he "plays at a high level?"

I'm personally not assuming the balance program, or any balancing action, will be good just because I happen to know something about the person contributing to the work. People can be optimistic based on qualifications, but there's never a guarantee.

Being a good player doesn't make someone a good designer. In fact there's very little correlation between the two in general. But there is a perception (an incorrect one) that the dev team doesn't understand the needs of high level players because they don't play the game at that level. Jnik is certainly not someone unaware of the game properties at high tiers.

A good designer has to be able to look past their desires as a player, and see how the game delivers such things to the players in the short and long term. They have to be able to work in a team of people who aren't always going to agree on everything, and understand how to balance many different sets of interests into a workable product. They have to have a deep understanding of how things work, and why they work the way they work. They have to be able to accept the situation as given while simultaneously try to improve things beyond the limits of what is obviously achievable. Above all, a good designer has to be, well, good at design.

I don't know that Jnik is all these things. I know he's aware of these things, he understands these things, and he thinks about these things. Until I see the products of his efforts, I won't know if he is good at these things, but that's the most I can ask for.
  • Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★
    jdeck59 said:

What level does he play at?

He’s in SAS so pushing masters war and top 20 aq I think
  • DarkEternityDarkEternity Posts: 784 ★★★★
    I absolutely love Jnik, he’s a fantastic player & person all around. If you aren’t aware of who he is, he plays masters war and is in top AQ. He participates a LOT on discord, but rarely interacts with people on the forums. He was a member of the UMCoC Podcast for over 2 years and is just extremely friendly overall. He’s helped me and others with content and such over discord for a long time now. I’m very glad to see that it’s him who’s participating with the balance process. At least I know it’s someone I can trust :)

• cradlemancradleman Posts: 86
    AMS94 said:

Eventually he'll become a Kabam employee even if as a freelancer
    We all know what happened with Dorky
    We all know what happened once players were involved with the CCP....at least in most cases
    I don't think it'll be any different this time

I mean, he is an employee. Can't be a balance designer for kabam if you don't work for them. But I digress. As another alliance mate mentioned, Dave has never been and never will be an end game player. Jnik actually is. That will make a difference.

And to those who don't trust kabam, yeah they've made some bad decisions. Having just finished carina 1 I wanted to quit after the inhumans run. But if they ruin the game and everyone quits then they won't have a way to make money and the game gets shut down. They definitely don't want that happening. So how better to help understand the needs and wants of the end game players than to bring in someone who consistently plays at that level. And better yet someone with a good understanding of the game on multiple levels. It's a smart decision and hopefully will allow them to make more smart decisions in the future.
  • KerneasKerneas Posts: 3,738 ★★★★★
    Well, I don't know this person at all, but I am open-minded and looking forward to what they will achieve. I doubt they will read this, but good luck
  • danielmathdanielmath Posts: 4,044 ★★★★★
    AMS94 said:

Drdoct said:

So Kabam is paying yet another Youtuber to come in and try and fix their problems. Let me guess what will happen... This guy will quickly realize how entrenched everyone is at Kabam and how little he can really do. Then he'll go into paycheck collecting mode. Ala Dorky dude who is now a shill. Kabam is showing their hand with saying they want certain people to test drive their champs. It's because they don't actually play this game anymore. Know how to get someone to lose the love they had? Pay them to do it.

Dave is a poor example because he was never an end game player and never did any competitive gameplay, so he had no knowledge really
    So the guy who had an entire channel about teaching people how to play MCOC didn't have knowledge about MCOC
    The guy who used to do real time live commentary about champ selection, interactions & fight progress in a global MCOC tournament didn't have knowledge about MCOC
    Yeah that seems right
    I’m excited there’s someone who is an endgame player involved. We’ll see what he does, but dave was not an endgame player, he never did high level aq or aw or anything so i’m not sure what your argument even is.