Options

Respect the Mythos: Quicksilver is a Mutant

For many of us who actually read Marvel comics, it was a kick in the groin to see Kabam is releasing Quicksilver as a “Science” class rather than “Mutant”. This is absurd and disrespectful to his creators, Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, as well as the multitude of writers and readers over the decades. Quicksilver was one of the first X-Men villains, first appearing in 1974. He is and always has been a mutant, like his sisters and father. He was in the Brotherhood of Mutants. He even lost his powers on M-Day, further proof he’s a mutant. Making Scarlet Witch and Magik “Mystic” were bad enough, but this takes things too far. Ok, the High Evolutionary messed with him: by making him a mutant! Is Sinister also science because his powers were awoken by Apocalypse? Is Apocalypse tech because of his armor? This needs to be fixed NOW before he’s released. Maybe I’m alone on this, but as an avid reader and collector I’m beyond disappointed that Kabam would do something this stupid.

Comments

• Options
    QuattrucciQuattrucci Posts: 160 ★★
    Also like, who cares? How does this affect you?
  • Options
    Lemon_Man44Lemon_Man44 Posts: 235 ★★★
    Maybe they were using the logic that he got his powers from the mind stone like in the mcu? I don't know much about quicksilver in the comics
  • Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    Very insensitive to be using Stan Lee and Steve ditko to honour your perosnal requests. Do you think they were not around when marvel retconned the characters?

Did you get kicked in the groin when spoderman was assigned skill?
  • Options
    @AverageDesi My personal requests? Brilliant. Ditko was dead, Lee was not. Neither were involved with comic writing when they retconned QS in 2015. The only insensitive thing here is Kabam/Marvel rewriting origins stories of classic characters to make money, and people like you who don’t have long boxes of Marvel comics. I have every X-Men (excluding most silver age books) up until about 2010, when Marvel started mixing things up to boost comic sales. But hey, you only play a Mobile game so who cares about 40+ years of stories being swept away for profit. I mentioned that the class system was junk, sorry I didn’t go through the whole list of characters in the wrong classes. My point was that this crossed a line. If you had any respect for the creators of this elaborate mythos, you’d agree that it’s not cool to rewrite original characters with extensive backstories.
  • Options
    Well neither was dead but I doubt they even knew what was being done to their legacy.
  • Options
    Kicked in the groin is a colloquialism, not meant to be taken literally.

@Quattrucci I care because I’m actually a comic reader/collector and I dislike when things I’m fond of and we’ll versed in are disrespected or presented inaccurately. Have you read any X-Men comics in your life? How about all of them? I bet you also loved The Force Awakens trilogy.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Rmeebr when marvel changed spidermans origin and story in homecoming? And Stan lee explicitly came and supported it? What make you think he was in any way opposed to the idea of retconning?
  • Options
    He was in his 90’s. His manager was charged with Elder Abuse (multiple charges) and his daughter was accused of the same. He was not making decisions for himself at that point. It’s sad you don’t know that. But I guess it’s just another aspect of his life that is successfully being “retconned”, demonstrated by the general public, such as you. Meanwhile nobody knows he was Jewish, or wrote himself as Peter Parker, or feuded with Ditko, or suffered elder abuse, or had to live through the iconic characters and industry he created being whitewashed by greedy producers such that people only know Quicksilver was a “science experiment” since 2015 without any knowledge of the prior 40 years of comics where he was the mutant offspring of the leader of the Brotherhood of Mutants. Remember when Colossus died but came back? Or Steve Rogers? Or Torch? Remember when Spider-Man had venomous wrist spikes? Yeah, they do a lot of dumb plot lines to try and boost comic sales that are typically undone some years later. Yeah the High Evolutionary was able to maintain his charade even through M-Day, cuz he’s more powerful than Scarlet Witch, good point.
  • Options
    ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Posts: 3,090 ★★★★★
    Well it sounds like someone's going to have to go to marvel hq and have his "Mr Smith Goes to Washington" moment and plead for the clarification /correction of quicksilver in mcoc. Good luck! Also try not to steal half the stuff as you leave the building.
  • Options
    @Shadowstrike Haha! Yes perhaps I will. If only. But apparently no one else cares so I’ll just drop it lol
  • Options
    Guys y’all are missing the point: the classes of champs are often ridiculous. Spider-Man is Science but if he has Stark Tech he’s Tech, or Shield Tech and he’s Skill. Green Goblin uses Tech but also took an experimental serum. Science. The Phoenix force is Cosmic, but Jean Grey is an Omega-level mutant. Falcon is Skill despite his Tech wings, but without the wings he’s Hawkeye without a bow or sword. Magik and Scarlet Witch are Mutants. Daredevil is Skill, but he has superhuman abilities he got from an accident…Science. Ant-Man is a Science champ, but relies solely on his Tech Suit. Same for Wasp and Quake. You know, like Ghost. Dragon-Man is Mystic but he’s a robot: Tech. Doc Ock is Tech, but Science also since inadvertent and not removable. Aegon is Skill but he’s made of stars: Cosmic. Thor Ragnarok. Korg: Cosmic or Skill? Other aliens like Gamora, Drax and Thor are Cosmic. Rocket should be Science. The Fantastic Four should be Cosmic. Blade is half-vampire: Mystic. Ok rant over, peace out y’all
  • Options

Guys y’all are missing the point: the classes of champs are often ridiculous. Spider-Man is Science but if he has Stark Tech he’s Tech, or Shield Tech and he’s Skill. Green Goblin uses Tech but also took an experimental serum. Science. The Phoenix force is Cosmic, but Jean Grey is an Omega-level mutant. Falcon is Skill despite his Tech wings, but without the wings he’s Hawkeye without a bow or sword. Magik and Scarlet Witch are Mutants. Daredevil is Skill, but he has superhuman abilities he got from an accident…Science. Ant-Man is a Science champ, but relies solely on his Tech Suit. Same for Wasp and Quake. You know, like Ghost. Dragon-Man is Mystic but he’s a robot: Tech. Doc Ock is Tech, but Science also since inadvertent and not removable. Aegon is Skill but he’s made of stars: Cosmic. Thor Ragnarok. Korg: Cosmic or Skill? Other aliens like Gamora, Drax and Thor are Cosmic. Rocket should be Science. The Fantastic Four should be Cosmic. Blade is half-vampire: Mystic. Ok rant over, peace out y’all

Selfawarewolves
  • Options
    PapaMidnite007PapaMidnite007 Posts: 1,622 ★★★★
    That was the most insightful post i have ever seen im fine with quicksilver being science.. we already have enough mutants. Longshot could have been mutant but he is better as a mystic class.
  • Options

Exactly...
  • Options
    Norman_OroNorman_Oro Posts: 33
    I'd have to agree that it seems somewhat arbitrary how characters are assigned classes. However, a judgment call has to be made at some point that probably takes into consideration where each of the classes stand, the character's history, potential synergies, etc.

As for Quicksilver specifically, I once read X-Men comics; and until recently I'd always considered him a mutant. Nevertheless, it didn't surprise me much when I learned that they'd retconned him. That's kind of how it is. Many of these characters have been around a long time and people love them. The problem is fans want fresh new stories; and sometimes characters get revised pretty dramatically to make this happen. Just my opinion. I haven't read any Quicksilver stories lately, so I can't really attest to how well his retcon went. In any event, I'm excited about Quicksilver (the science champ) entering Marvel Contest of Champions.