Potential Delay to v44.1 Launch

We are currently working through some issues that may affect the release window of v44.1. This means that the update may not release on Monday as it usually does. We are working to resolve the issue holding us up as quickly as possible, but will keep you all updated, especially if the delay results in any changes to the content release schedule.
Options

Complaints on battlegrounds??

I think my biggest complaint is the timers! And the waiting! May sound like a stupid complaint, but I hate sitting and waiting

Comments

• Options
    SkyLord7000SkyLord7000 Posts: 3,999 ★★★★★

And the nodes. Maybe have like a random node instead of the same one?? Or be able to reroll for a different one?

Or when relics are added, maybe it switches to relic stats.
  • Options
    K00shMaanK00shMaan Posts: 1,289 ★★★★
    edited March 2022
    Zan0 said:

They are already as short as they can reasonably be

Yes and No. Although I don't think any timers needed changing, there were opportunities where both players are just waiting (mostly after each fight). Any time both players are waiting simultaneously, there can at least be a ready button that as long as both players have hit they proceed immediately. Also would appreciate if there was a lot more than you can do on the post fight results screen. Sometimes you're waiting there for over a minute and there is opportunity to make that time more useful. They could allow you to toggle between other round results for one. I also think it would be great if you could somehow toggle to see both you and your opponents bench to help decide on your next decision faster. Just because you're waiting doesn't mean you have to be just literally waiting.

edit: some people do think that the first defender selection needs to be increased. Based on my experience, I think it's actually a visual bug as the timer starts ticking while another screen is there. I think it's supposed to be 15 seconds which is probably fine but certainly had matches where I only had 7 or 8 seconds by the time the previous screen had gone away.
  • Options
    MaxGamingMaxGaming Posts: 3,204 ★★★★★
    Imagine you could dice roll 3 random nodes in the game and the node you choose would be your defense node of course some won't be aloud like Starburst or maybe they could even put a ban system for nodes
  • Options
    zaspacerzaspacer Posts: 115
    Zan0 said:

Actually, 3rd round combat could be auto-terminated once one player finished and has the points to win.

There is no reason that finished player needs to wait. And the player still playing is only benefitting if they want to finish the fight even if they've already lost.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,704 Guardian
    zaspacer said:

Zan0 said:

Actually, 3rd round combat could be auto-terminated once one player finished and has the points to win.

There is no reason that finished player needs to wait. And the player still playing is only benefitting if they want to finish the fight even if they've already lost.
    It isn't easy to calculate all the possible ways for the first player to have guaranteed the win. Enough to where I don't want the developers to implement such a thing and get it wrong. Imagine if you're still fighting and the game cuts you off and says the other guy won, and when you look a the score you realize you were behind, but could have still pulled out the win (say, by healing a lot of health before the end of the fight using a champion capable of doing that).

Unless you can create an algorithm guaranteed to never get this wrong ever, no matter what sort of champions Kabam adds into the future, this is probably not a safe option to attempt.

We also don't know if the final score factors into how rewards will be calculated when the mode goes live. You might want to be able to fight for every point possible even if you know you're going to lose that particular match up.
  • Options
    Lo4eathLo4eath Posts: 309
    I personally would like the points you gain matter more. What I mean is, if you lose twice, but each fight you lost by 1k points, you should still be able to go to round 3, as you're only going in with a 2k point deficit and can still win. I think this should only happen if the total is very close, like I'd say max 2-4k point difference, and get the auto win if you win 2 rounds by more than that.
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

zaspacer said:

Zan0 said:

It isn't easy to calculate all the possible ways for the first player to have guaranteed the win. Enough to where I don't want the developers to implement such a thing and get it wrong. Imagine if you're still fighting and the game cuts you off and says the other guy won, and when you look a the score you realize you were behind, but could have still pulled out the win (say, by healing a lot of health before the end of the fight using a champion capable of doing that).

Unless you can create an algorithm guaranteed to never get this wrong ever, no matter what sort of champions Kabam adds into the future, this is probably not a safe option to attempt.

We also don't know if the final score factors into how rewards will be calculated when the mode goes live. You might want to be able to fight for every point possible even if you know you're going to lose that particular match up.
    I'm only talking about a match where the "Fight Duration" Points become the decider. And where the unfinished Player could finish with 100% Health and a KO, and it still won't be enough points to win.

Example:

Player A defeats their opponent in the 3rd Round quickly and with 100% Health remaining, and Player A gets this score:
    Attacker HP Remaining..............15,000 PTS
    Defender HP Remeaining...........30,000 PTS
    Fight Duration..............................13,000 PTS
    ======
    Total.............................................58,000 PTS

Player B continues to fight their opponent as half the time has passed. Even if Player B can end the fight at 100% Health, Player B can't get more Points than:
    Attacker HP Remaining..............15,000 PTS
    Defender HP Remeaining...........30,000 PTS
    Fight Duration................................7,500 PTS
    ======
    Total.............................................52,500 PTS

Player B cannot win.

It's just math.

... and yet the fight would still continue.

I'm not proposing the game auto-terminate a fight that is still potentially undecided. Only when a fight that is already unwinnable no matter the outcome.

In Baseball, the don't play the last inning if the game is already decided.

And I completely understand if players choose to not have an "auto-terminate" added simply on the grounds that it spoils the fun of the mode. Saving time in the mode does not matter, if it ruins what players want in the mode.

---

On an alternate, but related topic. Kabam could also allow for a player who has finished their 3rd fight, but who is waiting for their opponent to finish, to leave the mode. Do something else, or make the choice to stay and wait. Because there is no reason to require the finished player to sit there and wait 1+ minutes more. It won't impact the outcome. It's just wasting the finished player's time.

Or, if Kabam wants to create longer time sinks so that players must spend more time (or more down time) in game, then that too is a good reason for Kabam to keep players waiting in game modes.

--

I am a game designer. I am just pointing out areas that time could be trimmed from Battlegrounds matches. Time that could be given back to the players.

The more time that can be trimmed off Battlegrounds modes, the more time players will have to spend. The more time that can be spent in the Battlegrounds matchmaking pool, making finding matches faster. The more time that can be spent in other game modes. The more time that players can use to address real world issues, so they can free up more time for MCOC. Etc.

But the choice of giving or taking time from players is just a design decision. Do whichever is the way you prefer. Or, if you prefer to just leave a system in whatever form others have chosen (or that have come about by accident) then that is a fine choice too.
  • Options
    SpiderLazerSpiderLazer Posts: 93 ★★
    I’d like the nodes to change in some way. Playing with masochism each game gets boring and I hate the node to begin with.
  • Options

I’d like the nodes to change in some way. Playing with masochism each game gets boring and I hate the node to begin with.

Agreed. Adding Nodes into Battlegrounds is going to create issues.

It would probably be better to have the core Battlegrounds not have ANY Nodes. Then add in a special Battlegrounds side version with special rules that alternate weekly.

With NO NODES, players can build out decks that they can play year round. And player will get better at the different Champion matchups.

The video game Hearthstone by default has no special rules (Nodes) in its core modes ("Casual" or "Ranked"). But it adds a weekly version with special rules (called "Tavern Brawl"). Sometimes that weekly version is super limiting in who can play it. Sometimes that weekly version isn't fun. And so sometimes people just skip playing it. But people can still always play the regular, no-Node version, and build decks for it, and practice and get good at that.
  • Options
    K00shMaanK00shMaan Posts: 1,289 ★★★★
    @zaspacer I really like your idea about terminating matches when a result has already been decided. It's a fundamental concept that other sports/competitions use when applicable to not waste time or prevent unnecessary injuries (when relevant).

However, for this game in particular, it would really require some drastic changes to how the game being played locally on your own device interacts with the servers. In order to implement your idea, the game would have to be making constant real time updates during the fight. That simply is not how it works at the moment. A lot of the interactions for this game are stored locally and it's only really results or changes that interact with the server.
    If you pay enough attention to when that annoying wifi symbol pops up in the bottom right hand corner, you'll better understand my point. It will only appear if you are making what the game considers a permanent change (i.e. spending energy/iso/catalysts/items/units, etc.) Changing between many screens in this game don't require any actual changes and, once loaded, the game can maneuver between the screens without any interruption or need to send new information back to the servers

When it comes to an actual fight, the servers recognize when you've started a fight but the actual fight is entirely done locally on the device. You can tell this is the case because if you disconnect you will see the wifi symbol but you will be able to continue fighting. Once complete, it will then tell the server the result. Sometimes, you can wait a while at the post fight screen for the game and server to make this connection. This is how fights work in every game mode, not just battlegrounds.

I would really appreciate if your recommendation could be implemented as it is also the most important step that needs to be addressed in order for this game to ever create an actual PvP experience.