**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Gamora's buff is live and...

2»

Comments

• ninexhelixninexhelix Posts: 136
    Ran her with one of my main questing teams of Angela 6r4, Odin 5r5, Wags 6r3, and Mr Fantastic 6r3. Using both the Wags and Odin prefights my 6r1 Gamora was able to solo LoL star-lord in 365 hits with about 80-85% remaining on the 2nd enrage timer. Pretty darn good without suicides or boosts. She can definitely deal some damage, and maintaining the buffs came really easy, especially with the Reed and Angela synergy. It didn't feel like I had to halt my momentum just to force an opportunity to throw a heavy. Heavy counters and the occasional parry worked just fine in the normal course of gameplay. Will I bring her as a constant 5th on this team, no. Will I rank her up and then situationally use her, yes. Would I have considered either ranking her up or even occasionally using her prior to this buff, no. So all in all it's a win imo. She's not game breaking, but she's a nice toolbox addition for when the situation calls.
  • Denzel116Denzel116 Posts: 537 ★★★
    I gotta say it….

The buff is pretty cool to me. She’s fun to play, and if you don’t go in with any high expectations, you’ll be pleasantly surprised by her ramp up.

More notably, I love that heavy animation. Especially if I whiff the first two hits, her third hit has great reach. It is tricky to get use to and time it, but in the hands of a skilled player I can see Gamora doing some nutty damage.

I understand there are a lot more details others want addressed, such as the potency of the buffs of the true strike. But I’m a realm of legends troll….Gamora is fun to play there.

After the letdown with Psychoman, I don’t mind these adjustments with Gamora.
  • Rudolph_RaindeerRudolph_Raindeer Posts: 257 ★★
    Saiyan said:

Ok so I tested her on two different places to see how viable her miss counter is and it's pretty great.

R1 Unawakened Gamora.

Team: War Machine, Angela, Falcon, Shang Chi, Gamora

The idea behind the team was simple. I use all those champs frequently (My WM Is R4 as a 6 star so VERY frequent) and I just made a team I would use normally and she how she fits without trying to build a team around her. It just so happens than two of the champs have good synergies with her.

Act 6 6.4.2 Tunnel Vision Lane with Crit me with your best shot.

The main thing is to play around the node to start but once she has the 8 buffs which she got in good time, the node became free willpower regen for the entire fight. Joe Fit it to start was easy but slow since he puts Weakness. Heimdall after was even easier since you could heavy counter both his heavy and his sp1. You don't need to tho but it's best to learn her heavy spacing early. Crit me with your best shot made the fights slower as only crits deal damage BUT since all her specials crtit and she has a decent crit rate, it was ok and only really allowed hero to build more attack for when attacks do crit anyway.

Act 7.4.3 Invisible Woman with Now you see me, Paradox Box where you need to parry to build it and intercept to remove them and she has over 300k health

This is a good test fight since it's not a brain dead ROL WS fight and you have to think alittle and especially with the paradox box building on parry and the only way to remove them is by intercept. She again got to 8 buffs pretty quick which made the fight MUCH easier as I didn't have to care about IW's invisibility or the Now you see me node. Keeping her buffs up was easy enough also, little trouble since IW's SP2 is easy to heavy counter.

She finished all the fights in good time as well which was nice to see from a R1. Everyone complains about her cap but trust me, it's not a big deal as my R1 without even getting to the 25 cap was doing 13k medium crits so a R2 or higher would be even better. I would legit use her as a miss counter and more so since she has good synergy with my team.

Does this buff make her better to use and feel more fun? Yes

Does this buff make her the best champ in game or even a top tier? No, probably not and other champs counter miss better that her in some or many cases.

but overall, it was a simple buff with great effect if you ask me from testing. She has damage for days and good utility in her miss counter. The True Strike is another topic by itself. I'd say she's not the best evade counter BUT she counters auto block pretty well since in most cases Auto Block won't be as punishing as evade so getting to sp3 isn't as bad (cept vs Peni... Stupid Peni)

She good.
    Waaayyyy too many words 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • ChobblyChobbly Posts: 840 ★★★★
    For me, the buff was exactly what I expected. No worse, no less. She will be more attractive for new players, that's for sure. I'll be interested in seeing what the numbers look like for a 6* R3 max Sig Gamorra.

Does it mean that I will R2 my 6*? Nope, certainly not. But she feels better - damage output is more consistent and the animation changes are nice.

Look at this way - it's a better buff than Psychoman and at least Gamorra didn't get her Base Regeneration Rate reduced, so it could be worse...
  • KaruseusKaruseus Posts: 528 ★★
    Nono, this is what kabam aimed for.

What we have to remember is that this wasn’t her first buff. They had specific play-style and mechanism in mind when they first buffed her. Players didn’t like it because while her damage potential was high, it was not worth the trouble.

So she got adjusted so it would be easier to play her. It wasn’t an overhaul.
    It’s similar to Ebony Maw, who got adjusted two more times after his initial buff, yet his play-style and mechanism was not altered much.

Some players want ‘mag-like buffs’ to every buffs, and that is not what kabam is aiming for.
    They want every champs to be viable in some of the contents.
    Does current gamora fit into that?
    So far not really, but they might come up with combination of ‘buffed up’ and ‘now you see me-3’ or something like that. Who knows.

See the real problem is this
    If we had 2 champs buffed per month for the past 3 months, her adjustment wouldn’t have been too bad at all.
    But we had no buffs, and then psycho-man. The players’ hope towards gamora was higher than ever. And then faced with just few adjustments to make her easier to play.
    Of course it’s not gonna be satisfying.
    (Although this result was rather expected. Another buff to same champ being an overhaul? No way)
  • BulmktBulmkt Posts: 1,547 ★★★★
    I like her…she hits hard and will clear most opponents effectively. She is easy to play straight out of the box

Is she Hercules - no

But I saw a lot of big yellow numbers testing her out against the Winter Soldier punching bag.

I own a duped R1 and I’ll R2 her…

Her new animations are slick and smooth.
  • ChobblyChobbly Posts: 840 ★★★★
    edited April 2022
    Bulmkt said:

I like her…she hits hard and will clear most opponents effectively. She is easy to play straight out of the box

Is she Hercules - no

But I saw a lot of big yellow numbers testing her out against the Winter Soldier punching bag.

I own a duped R1 and I’ll R2 her…

Her new animations are slick and smooth.

With an unduped 6* R1, and not a full synergy team, I manage to get up to a 50k SP2 with full Fury (no SM) - 15k for the first and second hits, and 20k for the third.

Is she Hercules? No, and I think it might be a while before we get another Cosmic that powerful. But is she okay now? Absolutely. Not BGT, but for me it’s lifted her out of Meme tier. For new accounts, getting a 4* or even a 5* early on could be useful to help early progression. Plus, for some nodes how quickly she gains buffs could be really useful. I still won’t R2 her, but she’s better than she was and there is a difference, to me at least.
  • J0eySn0wJ0eySn0w Posts: 865 ★★★★
    edited April 2022
    DrZola said:

Ercarret said:

I don't have a problem with Kabam buffing champs for newer players. Not every champ needs to have a whole book as their ability card.

However, I still find it a bit disheartening that we've recently gotten so many buffs with so small or, for experienced players, insignificant changes after such a long time without any buffs. Between Psycho-Man's minor tweak, Gamora's for-the-beginners buff, and Guillotine's tiny regen increase, it feels like there's been half an age since mid-to-endgame players got a buff that was valuable to us. That, rather than the details of any of the actual buffs, irks me.

It's also worth pointing out that the featured 6* crystals become significantly less interesting if they're pumped full of newly-buffed for-beginners champs rather than champs that are meant for those of us that regularly go for those crystals.

I think that Kabam could do well to balance which tier of players they are aiming their buffs at. If they buff two champions per month, try to buff one for each segment. Otherwise, the program will probably feel very lopsided.

I also think it would do well to explain who the buff is aimed for. I mean, they already have a new scorecard system - just incorporate that information there. If they said from the start that Gamora's buff would be mainly for new players, endgame players wouldn't have gotten surprised to find that she wasn't aimed at them after the fact.

I agree. The buff program should clarify it’s intent —if the buff is meant to help early players who get old champs, state that clearly.

In addition, the team should set out for the community the number of “new player buffs” it intends to generate per year.

As a “not new” player, if that means the update program will realistically only update 3-4 champs per year that might interest me, that suggests the update program is much less meaningful to me than it was previously.

That’s okay—bandwidth is tight, I’m sure, and the team should just say so. If this isn’t the priority it was two years ago, or if the priorities of the program have shifted, say that also. But don’t trumpet the updates like they are something for the entire community to anticipate. Not everything is for everyone—I’m sure new players don’t get pumped for another Variant or boss rush their newly changed Gamora cannot complete.

Result is I’ve got an awakened 6* Gamora who looks cooler but is still just okay. The changes to PsychoMan, Gamora and others recently have taught me to not put much stock in the update program. I will take notice if and when there’s an update that matters to my account.

Dr. Zola
    Practically speaking, I don’t see the benefit of buffing champs primarily for newer players. It’s just an excuse to buff a champ and make them irrelevant for majority of players. If we had a small pool of champions where most of them are useless then definitely. New accounts have access to wide variety of champs and utility in the 200+ pool of champions. And it’s easy to get collect many of them as 3stars earlier on. Some new accounts are getting multiple 4stars and a 5star or 2 in the first month. Think about the side quest Cav crystal and so on. Whatever use new accounts will get out of their 1star or 2 star Gamora (as Kabam mentions Gamora is available) will only last for about a week, tops 2 weeks. And a 3star or even 4star Gamora probably a month or two at most. Newer accounts will pull champs with same power level or even higher in no time. Unless of course Kabam plans to release a lot new Psycho Men. It's a waste of time buffing champs for new players or accounts. That window long past imo. Make buffs relevant to almost everyone,, they don't have to be a power-house. Ex in Cosmic, Angela, King Groot are both relevant to all players, yet I don't think they're considered a must-have nor answers to every problem. Your account will no just fine without them, but they're a relevant in the now.
  • GuytennisGuytennis Posts: 420 ★★★
    edited April 2022

Hey all, keep in mind that not every Update is going to make every Champ appeal to everybody. The point of Buffs has never been to make every Champ a new top Champ, but we do hope that these Champs can fill in as an answer where somebody might not have had a "better" Champ before.

Gamora is one of the first Champions a new Player will get and are far more likely to use than established players. She's available as a 1, 2, and 3 Star Champion, and earlier Progression levels have Daily Crystals that are limited to earlier Champions. Those players are much more likely to get and use Gamora than most of our established players, and for them, I think she's a great addition to their rosters.

Recent Buffs are not a result of changes in how we're approaching Buffs and Balance changes in the future.

What are they a result of? Bad hires? Limited payroll? What factors influenced how insignificantly psycho-man was ‘rebalanced’.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,239 ★★★★★

Hey all, keep in mind that not every Update is going to make every Champ appeal to everybody. The point of Buffs has never been to make every Champ a new top Champ, but we do hope that these Champs can fill in as an answer where somebody might not have had a "better" Champ before.

Gamora is one of the first Champions a new Player will get and are far more likely to use than established players. She's available as a 1, 2, and 3 Star Champion, and earlier Progression levels have Daily Crystals that are limited to earlier Champions. Those players are much more likely to get and use Gamora than most of our established players, and for them, I think she's a great addition to their rosters.

Recent Buffs are not a result of changes in how we're approaching Buffs and Balance changes in the future.

We've heard this before, and it's still a terrible answer. Buffs should make the champion viable at all tiers of play. Great, she is available as a lower star champ... so? So is Magneto, so is Colossus(which the rationale for the 1* being different than every other version of the champion still baffles me), so is Angela, Venom, Venompool, etc. All of them are still much better than her and will be viable through the endgame. You've lowered the time needed to get through the earlier tiers of content and accelerated getting to Uncollected. This isn't just a memorandum on her, it's on buffs in general. There's a reason why some buffs are met with "meh" responses. That is everyone knows that the champ won't get used anywhere except arena after they tested the new buff out. Do they all have to be as great of a rework as the Magnetos, Colossus, Venom, or Venompool? Not even in the slightest, but they should all have a place in content beyond a Act 3.
    We will never have all Champs viable at all Tiers of play.
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    DrZola said:

Ercarret said:

I don't have a problem with Kabam buffing champs for newer players. Not every champ needs to have a whole book as their ability card.

However, I still find it a bit disheartening that we've recently gotten so many buffs with so small or, for experienced players, insignificant changes after such a long time without any buffs. Between Psycho-Man's minor tweak, Gamora's for-the-beginners buff, and Guillotine's tiny regen increase, it feels like there's been half an age since mid-to-endgame players got a buff that was valuable to us. That, rather than the details of any of the actual buffs, irks me.

It's also worth pointing out that the featured 6* crystals become significantly less interesting if they're pumped full of newly-buffed for-beginners champs rather than champs that are meant for those of us that regularly go for those crystals.

I think that Kabam could do well to balance which tier of players they are aiming their buffs at. If they buff two champions per month, try to buff one for each segment. Otherwise, the program will probably feel very lopsided.

I also think it would do well to explain who the buff is aimed for. I mean, they already have a new scorecard system - just incorporate that information there. If they said from the start that Gamora's buff would be mainly for new players, endgame players wouldn't have gotten surprised to find that she wasn't aimed at them after the fact.

I agree. The buff program should clarify it’s intent —if the buff is meant to help early players who get old champs, state that clearly.

In addition, the team should set out for the community the number of “new player buffs” it intends to generate per year.

As a “not new” player, if that means the update program will realistically only update 3-4 champs per year that might interest me, that suggests the update program is much less meaningful to me than it was previously.

That’s okay—bandwidth is tight, I’m sure, and the team should just say so. If this isn’t the priority it was two years ago, or if the priorities of the program have shifted, say that also. But don’t trumpet the updates like they are something for the entire community to anticipate. Not everything is for everyone—I’m sure new players don’t get pumped for another Variant or boss rush their newly changed Gamora cannot complete.

Result is I’ve got an awakened 6* Gamora who looks cooler but is still just okay. The changes to PsychoMan, Gamora and others recently have taught me to not put much stock in the update program. I will take notice if and when there’s an update that matters to my account.

Dr. Zola
    The vast majority of the disappointment with updates is on the players honestly. From the very beginning of this is was stated the intent was never to bring all champs to the top but just make some bad ones actually useable for smaller accounts.

Then after the idiotic Magneto buff right out the gate, the players took it upon themselves to assume every update is supposed to be upper echelon endgame relevant. That's on them not Kabam.

This idea that every update is supposed to be relevant to everyone has been manufactured by players not the people actually making these decisions.
  • World EaterWorld Eater Posts: 3,567 ★★★★★

DrZola said:

Ercarret said:

Dr. Zola
    The vast majority of the disappointment with updates is on the players honestly. From the very beginning of this is was stated the intent was never to bring all champs to the top but just make some bad ones actually useable for smaller accounts.

Then after the idiotic Magneto buff right out the gate, the players took it upon themselves to assume every update is supposed to be upper echelon endgame relevant. That's on them not Kabam.

This idea that every update is supposed to be relevant to everyone has been manufactured by players not the people actually making these decisions.
    I hear what you’re saying but there were several buffs before
    Magneto.

Luke cage, red hulk, she hulk, venom , spider Gwen , colossus , OML , etc…
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★

DrZola said:

Ercarret said:

Dr. Zola

I hear what you’re saying but there were several buffs before
    Magneto.

Luke cage, red hulk, she hulk, venom , spider Gwen , colossus , OML , etc…
    Sure. I'm talking about the start of the scheduled buff program though. The earlier buffs were not scheduled and just popped up occasionally