**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Are a champions stats supposed to decrease when you rank them up?

Hammy2332Hammy2332 Posts: 45
edited April 2022 in General Discussion

So I just took my 6* Guardian to rank 3 and his stats went down! His PI, Attack and health stats are all lower as a R3 Level 1 compared to a R2 Level 35. Am I missing something? Or should those stats go up when ranking up a champ?

Could just be a visual error or maybe I’m just not aware of how it’s supposed to work🤷‍♂️

Comments

• Hammy2332Hammy2332 Posts: 45

Some go down before they go up again.

Any idea why?
  • PikoluPikolu Posts: 6,644 Guardian
    They do it for whatever reason, it could be something in the formulas that gives a boost to the champ stats at max level, no idea though.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    Hammy2332 said:

Any idea why?
    I suspect it's part of the process of balancing out the final product.

That’s because it’s at a lower level when you rank it up compared to being maxed out in the previous rank. I know, it may not make sense considering the fact that it’s a higher rank, but once you start leveling the newly ranked champion, the PI will increase. Hope I made myself clear. Have a great day

Oh yeah that’s clear and the champ did end up at a higher PI and with higher stats once leveled up. I just think that’s bad design of the rank/level up process.

It’s hard for me to think of another instance where something of the same rarity but higher rank is weaker than a lower ranked version of the same asset. It’s also not a good look for the game to be designed in a way that investing high end resources into a champion actually, (temporarily I understand) weakens the champion.

The game clearly encourages you to rank up your champions to “make them stronger”. I can’t find an instance in game or on any social channel where it say’s “rank them up, which will make them weaker, then level them up to make them stronger”.

If you are aware of where that’s stated then I’d really like to read it but reasoning or notification of aside, it really shouldn’t be designed that way IMO😊👍

• DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    Hammy2332 said:

That’s because it’s at a lower level when you rank it up compared to being maxed out in the previous rank. I know, it may not make sense considering the fact that it’s a higher rank, but once you start leveling the newly ranked champion, the PI will increase. Hope I made myself clear. Have a great day

Oh yeah that’s clear and the champ did end up at a higher PI and with higher stats once leveled up. I just think that’s bad design of the rank/level up process.
    If you think this is bad design, then I can ask the devs if they are willing to nerf the level up curve for you, and only you, so that the design gets better.
    DNA3000 said:

Hammy2332 said:

Any idea why?
    Champion stats are designed to step up with rank up. However, the amount they step up was originally conceived before 5* champs arrived in the game. 5* and 6* champ sig up to 200, whereas older rarities only sig up to 99. This caused some champions to "overshoot" when they get leveled up, such that a max level rank 2 ends up higher than a level 1 rank 3. So when you then take that champ from 2/35 to 3/1, some stats drop a bit.

They could fix this in a number of ways, but they decided long ago to just leave it alone. Most of the ways to fix this involve reducing how much you gain per level to make the total amount "fit" in the gap between ranks, but that would only cause players to get less benefit for level up than before, just to make the level up segments connect nicely.

The devs decided there was no reason to nerf level up increases just to make the level up curve connect the dots better. Eventually, everyone tends to end up max level for a given rank anyway, which makes the problem temporary and virtually unnoticeable for most players.
    That’s as good a reason as any I’ve heard. Unnoticeable or not, it should at least be stated in game. We should be told how it works and why so that we can make more informed decisions on rank ups.

A simple pop up warning that states….

“Ranking this champion up to the next rank will initially reduce their stats. Please be sure that you possess the necessary resources to level this champion up to see an increase in its strength”.

And bam! I’m informed 😊
    DNA3000 said:

Hammy2332 said:

If you think this is bad design, then I can ask the devs if they are willing to nerf the level up curve for you, and only you, so that the design gets better.
    I mean yeah. If you have that kind of relationship with the devs then that would be great😊👍
    Hammy2332 said:

DNA3000 said:

Hammy2332 said:

I mean yeah. If you have that kind of relationship with the devs then that would be great😊👍
    Unfortunately, the impression I got was they seemed to think this particular suggestion was not a good use of time and resources. Win some, lose some.
  • psp742psp742 Posts: 2,300 ★★★★
    I think it depends on your mastery and which champion.. I did not notice Doom or Kingpin attack go down by ranking them up.. I don't run suicides so hp is not affected.
  • ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
    It's very common and a quick forums search would've answered this as this same question gets asked weekly in forums.
  • Morpheus_123Morpheus_123 Posts: 792 ★★★
    It’s not a very good design, common sense says that if you blow a load of rank up materials on a champ, you 100% expect their ratings to all increase.

However, it’s pretty irrelevant when you think about it, because why on earth would anyone bother wasting rank up materials on a champion to then leave them sat a level 1 of the next rank?! They’re obviously very quickly going to be levelled up to the next rank up stage, where their ratings will then be higher than before their previous rank up.
  • DanthexmanDanthexman Posts: 197
    This happened to me with 6* sunspot. Kabam confirmed it's normal when I posted about it
  • PapaMidnite007PapaMidnite007 Posts: 1,622 ★★★★
    It's normal just max level up and it'll be all good

It's very common and a quick forums search would've answered this as this same question gets asked weekly in forums.

Appreciate that. Thanks 😊🙏🏻

It’s not a very good design, common sense says that if you blow a load of rank up materials on a champ, you 100% expect their ratings to all increase.

However, it’s pretty irrelevant when you think about it, because why on earth would anyone bother wasting rank up materials on a champion to then leave them sat a level 1 of the next rank?! They’re obviously very quickly going to be levelled up to the next rank up stage, where their ratings will then be higher than before their previous rank up.

Yeah I get that. It was only relevant for another player that asked me about it because he had the rank up resources but not the level up resources. That and he needed to use the champ in a quest immediately afterwards as was frustrated that the initial rank up didn’t provide the strength boost he felt was needed for him to complete the quest. Instead it made passing the quest harder for him since he wasn’t able to put the additional resources into the champ.

That would have been good information for him to have is all I’m saying. But I personally haven’t ever ran into that so I’d imagine it’s few and far between when that occurs😊👍

• “Challenger Rating”

While their base Health/Attack value might drop at first after just ranking up (before Leveling up afterwards), they do get the increase in their Challenger Rating.

And this would positively affect several other stats, just not the base Health/Attack, Prestige, or Rating that one typically just looks at to see how powerful they are.

Opening excerpt from original Challenger Rating post, as well as link to the whole thing…

———
    Challenge Rating affects the following stats:
    Armor, Armor Penetration, Critical Hit Rating, Critical Damage Rating, Critical Resistance, Block Proficiency, Block Penetration
    ———

http://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/2317/challenger-rating-explained

“Challenger Rating”

While their base Health/Attack value might drop at first after just ranking up (before Leveling up afterwards), they do get the increase in their Challenger Rating.

And this would positively affect several other stats, just not the base Health/Attack, Prestige, or Rating that one typically just looks at to see how powerful they are.

Opening excerpt from original Challenger Rating post, as well as link to the whole thing…

———
    Challenge Rating affects the following stats:
    Armor, Armor Penetration, Critical Hit Rating, Critical Damage Rating, Critical Resistance, Block Proficiency, Block Penetration
    ———

http://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/2317/challenger-rating-explained

Actually increasing your own challenger rating affects none of these things, at least not in the way many players think. Probably the single biggest stats-related misconception is that challenger rating affects your own stats. It doesn’t. It affects your opponent’s (I.e. the defender) stats. So CR does affect those stats, but just not your own instances of those stats.

Think of challenger rating like a dampener. Yours dampens your enemy, and theirs dampens you. This happens independently, which means you increasing your own CR does not in any way affect what your opponent does to you. If your opponent has a high CR and that reduces your stats by some amount, increasing your own CR will not change that effect in any way.

(Your) Challenger rating is a volume knob that reduces the loudness of your challenger’s stats. It does nothing to your own stats.