**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Battlegrounds is the endgame content?

DoosraDoosra Posts: 359 ★★★
As someone who is still a cav and progressing through story quests and event quests and side quests using quest energy
I am already loosing interest in playing it, I have played it in betas before because I had been rewarded with some small and full refills
Now since there are objectives that needs 30 wins from a week, I was kinda forced to do it for them and not for fun
And too bad that since everyone started at 1500 points, I always match with thronebreakers who have atleast 5 r3 6* and a full deck of maxed 5* s against my measly 6 maxed out champs
So i think except for the people who have done everything in the game, not many would take this mode seriously I think

Comments

• Options
    Wicket329Wicket329 Posts: 3,021 ★★★★★
    Doosra said:

Actually iam hoping for a friendly mode that doesn't give any rewards or have any quest energy requirements and we can have duels with our alliance mates and yes they can keep the champ refresher I have no problem with it

They’ve previously stated they plan on releasing a non-ranked direct challenge mode and are hoping to have it ready for Battlegrounds official launch.
  • Options
    Wicket329 said:

Doosra said:

Actually iam hoping for a friendly mode that doesn't give any rewards or have any quest energy requirements and we can have duels with our alliance mates and yes they can keep the champ refresher I have no problem with it

They’ve previously stated they plan on releasing a non-ranked direct challenge mode and are hoping to have it ready for Battlegrounds official launch.
    Yeah they said it, but wouldn't it be better if they had a beta version of it as well, which can run side by side just like other games
  • Options

I fully agreed with this.

For these players (early/mid Cav and Uncollected) it feel like we are punching bag (the Winter Soldier ROL lol) of BG.

Summoner>

This line made me lol and sad as well
  • Options
    Hi @BitterSteel ,

Thank you very much for putting your insight and perspective regarding the matching system, and I completely understand where you are coming from, I assumed (as it feel like it), that the current matching system is based on the same AW matching system (which itself not without flawed).

With AW it can be understandable that taking Total Base Hero rating into consideration it challenging due to the different number of Battlegroups an Alliance might chose and and the possible mixed of high and low players in 1 Alliance.

However for BG, it is just 1 player vs another, so I can't see why using the Total Base Hero Rating would not be a good idea (especially now that players can't sell champs). Apart from just creating a more affective matching system right of the bat, it will also deal other the other situation of high and comprehensive roster, but casual players.

We can imagine there are a number of long time Cav and Thronebreaker players, who are now becoming more casual players (we can seen enough Join Alliance request notices for semi-retired/chill/casual players), these players won't have high BG ranking, but still have R2/R3s (and even R4s) 6*. It gonna be pretty challenging for that poor Uncollected players with his much loved 4* Nick Fury (or Warlock) to try to take that roster on (combining with the Node) lol.

I guess for me from my perspective is that the current matching system doesn't seem to work very well (take your point it will get better with time, but it still flawed), and the thing is that it actually can be better by putting the Total Base Hero Rating into the calculation, so why not.
  • Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

Hi @BitterSteel ,

Thank you very much for putting your insight and perspective regarding the matching system, and I completely understand where you are coming from, I assumed (as it feel like it), that the current matching system is based on the same AW matching system (which itself not without flawed).

With AW it can be understandable that taking Total Base Hero rating into consideration it challenging due to the different number of Battlegroups an Alliance might chose and and the possible mixed of high and low players in 1 Alliance.

However for BG, it is just 1 player vs another, so I can't see why using the Total Base Hero Rating would not be a good idea (especially now that players can't sell champs). Apart from just creating a more affective matching system right of the bat, it will also deal other the other situation of high and comprehensive roster, but casual players.

We can imagine there are a number of long time Cav and Thronebreaker players, who are now becoming more casual players (we can seen enough Join Alliance request notices for semi-retired/chill/casual players), these players won't have high BG ranking, but still have R2/R3s (and even R4s) 6*. It gonna be pretty challenging for that poor Uncollected players with his much loved 4* Nick Fury (or Warlock) to try to take that roster on (combining with the Node) lol.

I guess for me from my perspective is that the current matching system doesn't seem to work very well (take your point it will get better with time, but it still flawed), and the thing is that it actually can be better by putting the Total Base Hero Rating into the calculation, so why not.

Ok, let’s take an end game account. Say they have 2.5m rating. That player plays battlegrounds and gets to a rating of 1900. Nice!

Now, let’s clone that player’s account. There’s an identical account at 2.5m but now he ranks up every single 2*, 3* and 4* he has and he’s 3.5m now! None of those champions affect his BG performance. So he plays battlegrounds and he gets to 1900 again.

So which is a fairer representation of his skill? The battleground rating, or the artificially inflated base hero rating?

Take another example. Say there’s a player who is rated 2m, but he has played in a masters alliance for years, he’s incredibly skilled, and he has 60 R3 champions and a few R4s. He doesn’t have much depth outside of 6*s, that’s why his rating is so low.

Then let’s take our player earlier, who is 3.5m rated, but he’s in a P4 alliance, he plays casually, he’s not super skilled but he’s decent enough. Do you think it’s fair that 3.5m player is going to be matched against much, much higher skilled players than him? And do you think it’s fair that 2m player is going to be matched against really easy players consistently, I mean, there’s no way it balances out, because his matchmaking system will always just take into account his roster size. Maybe he purposely doesn’t rank anything but 6*s from now on. It’s an easily exploitable, and extremely faulty system

What BG rating does, is level the playing field. If you’re good and you win, you will be matched with other good players. If you’re mid, or bad, then so on.

If a low player matched with a high player and they lose badly, they will lose points. But the higher player will gain points, and eventually they will get to the level that their skill and roster deserves. And that’s why this rating is important. Everyone will balance to what they deserve based on how often they win, and who they win against
  • Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,028 ★★★★★
    Doosra said:

Wicket329 said:

Doosra said:

Yeah they said it, but wouldn't it be better if they had a beta version of it as well, which can run side by side just like other games
    Can you explain what the difference would be between what the beta is now and adding in another "non-ranked" mode? Would fights be any different? Would you be getting anything more or less than what you are now?
  • Options
    Hi @BitterSteel

But we can look at it in a very simple and taking into what you say into consideration.

When we are talking at long time Cav/Thronebreaker (and even Paragon now), the different between 1,5ml to 3 ml, honestly it is doable on these match up, heck it might actually be fun, because what these players would have in an comprehensive rosters, either in 5* or 6*, a nicely ranked 5* awaken max sig can handle most fights well. Essentially matching with an opponents 2 times your rating would be perfect, so that is where skills and knowledge will make a different to the outcome.

But let look at through Uncollected and new Cav account, we are looking at between 250k to 350k Total Base Hero rating, when you get match up to 1.5 to 2m (heck sometime even 2.5m) account, what chance does they have. We are looking at 5 to 6 time stronger opponents, or even more (not the 2 times above), and these match up will continue to happen, because there are long time, but now casual players with a comprehensive account. What chance does these Uncollected/new Cav have?

Another thing to consider is the comprehensive roster, these Uncollected/new Cav players will be have maybe 5 to 10 ranked champs to get them other quest, get 3 banned will leave you with very little to try and build a team of 9 from. It is the idea of the Rich get Richer, when you have less, you get to make even less.

I just think that this game Mode need and mixed and large participants for it to be good and healthy, and this current matching system doesn't seem to help encourage participation.

Anyway it is just my opinion and feedback, Kabam will do what Kabam do, and the players will respond and approach the game the best way they can so they can still enjoy it. Just hope that the game developers aims matche with players experience and not diverse in different ways. It is good for the community, game and game developer when these matches.

Anyway just my 2 cents, hope you have a lovely day.
  • Options
    Y'all have to keep in mind that this isn't the final version of the game mode. All Kabam's goal is right now is to make sure the mode works and fine tune things like fight timers, nodes, UI etc.. All the other stuff like brackets and non-competitive modes will come later.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

While I don't believe it is Kabam intended to create this mode as Endgame content only, the matching systems does put a lot of early/mid Cav and Uncollected players off. For these players (early/mid Cav and Uncollected) it feel like we are punching bag (the Winter Soldier ROL lol) of BG.

So the maths after 4 to 5 matches and 60 mins of real life, is add up to spend a full Energy Refill to get beat by opponents 3 to 4 time stronger than you with a better roster. Not to forget that it would take 45 units to rechange your much loved, but small and underpowered collection of champs. Not very enjoyable and all for 200 BG Trophy tokens.

Unlike Event, Story or Alliance Quest, this game need participations for it to work, otherwise people will wait a much longer time to find matches. However the matching systems itself does not help to encourage lower players (with smaller and less power roster) to participants.

This is even more compounded by the BG Store economic, the lower the level you are the more it will cost for you to buy the same thing (or at least the stuffs that you can access), which is actually fine, ok and completely understandable as it is always been the MCOC economic, however when it is combine with the bad matching systems that mean you it will cost you more to play, and to win, then it become a very bad snowball affect.

All of this can be improve with a more affective matching system that actually take in to the consideration of Summoner Total Base Hero Rating. How could an 250k Summoner have any chance against an 1.5 or 2mil Summoner>

All of this is very valid, until you take into account the fact that the matching system is within it’s first 24 hours.

Over time, the better players rise to the top and the worse players go to the bottom. Mid players stay in the middle.

That means, with enough time, the system comes out to the fairest it can be. Where you’re next to similarly rated players when you match.

A player with a huge account that can’t play well shouldn’t be matched with a much more skilled player based on roster size. They should be matched to a player that means they both have an equal chance to win. That’s what this matching system does over time

Unfortunately, we’re in the early stages and everyone has started on the same amount. So there’s some evident disparity for now. Once it’s balanced out, you will be able to match someone where you both have an equal chance to win.
    Since I believe you belong to "top tiers"
    Iam at 1358 rating and and still going down and dont know when will i stop getting matches against tbs

Doosra said:

Wicket329 said:

Doosra said:

Can you explain what the difference would be between what the beta is now and adding in another "non-ranked" mode? Would fights be any different? Would you be getting anything more or less than what you are now?
    I can get the fun of playing against my friends
    Isn't that enough??
  • Options
    Ace2319Ace2319 Posts: 619 ★★★

Hi @BitterSteel

But we can look at it in a very simple and taking into what you say into consideration.

When we are talking at long time Cav/Thronebreaker (and even Paragon now), the different between 1,5ml to 3 ml, honestly it is doable on these match up, heck it might actually be fun, because what these players would have in an comprehensive rosters, either in 5* or 6*, a nicely ranked 5* awaken max sig can handle most fights well. Essentially matching with an opponents 2 times your rating would be perfect, so that is where skills and knowledge will make a different to the outcome.

But let look at through Uncollected and new Cav account, we are looking at between 250k to 350k Total Base Hero rating, when you get match up to 1.5 to 2m (heck sometime even 2.5m) account, what chance does they have. We are looking at 5 to 6 time stronger opponents, or even more (not the 2 times above), and these match up will continue to happen, because there are long time, but now casual players with a comprehensive account. What chance does these Uncollected/new Cav have?

Another thing to consider is the comprehensive roster, these Uncollected/new Cav players will be have maybe 5 to 10 ranked champs to get them other quest, get 3 banned will leave you with very little to try and build a team of 9 from. It is the idea of the Rich get Richer, when you have less, you get to make even less.

I just think that this game Mode need and mixed and large participants for it to be good and healthy, and this current matching system doesn't seem to help encourage participation.

Anyway it is just my opinion and feedback, Kabam will do what Kabam do, and the players will respond and approach the game the best way they can so they can still enjoy it. Just hope that the game developers aims matche with players experience and not diverse in different ways. It is good for the community, game and game developer when these matches.

Anyway just my 2 cents, hope you have a lovely day.

It’s pretty sucky for the lower accounts getting matched with strong accounts but eventually that shouldn’t happen because all the top people will be in the top and you’ll only fight people with a similar skill level. If you don’t have 30 ranked up champs you’ll eventually be matched against people that might not have 30 ranked champs either. Just going to take some time but once it’s a permanent feature this problem shouldn’t be as common
  • Options
    ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
    edited May 2022
    Some of you remember back when AW war ratings were reset and everyone started the same rating. This caused crazy matchups that had people losing their minds. Over time, it balances out for the most part.

This setup isnt that different from AW rating and will balance out mostly over.time, but will always be a bit crazy at a reset where everyone starts at same rating
  • Options
    Doosra said:

While I don't believe it is Kabam intended to create this mode as Endgame content only, the matching systems does put a lot of early/mid Cav and Uncollected players off. For these players (early/mid Cav and Uncollected) it feel like we are punching bag (the Winter Soldier ROL lol) of BG.

So the maths after 4 to 5 matches and 60 mins of real life, is add up to spend a full Energy Refill to get beat by opponents 3 to 4 time stronger than you with a better roster. Not to forget that it would take 45 units to rechange your much loved, but small and underpowered collection of champs. Not very enjoyable and all for 200 BG Trophy tokens.

Unlike Event, Story or Alliance Quest, this game need participations for it to work, otherwise people will wait a much longer time to find matches. However the matching systems itself does not help to encourage lower players (with smaller and less power roster) to participants.

This is even more compounded by the BG Store economic, the lower the level you are the more it will cost for you to buy the same thing (or at least the stuffs that you can access), which is actually fine, ok and completely understandable as it is always been the MCOC economic, however when it is combine with the bad matching systems that mean you it will cost you more to play, and to win, then it become a very bad snowball affect.

All of this can be improve with a more affective matching system that actually take in to the consideration of Summoner Total Base Hero Rating. How could an 250k Summoner have any chance against an 1.5 or 2mil Summoner>

All of this is very valid, until you take into account the fact that the matching system is within it’s first 24 hours.

Over time, the better players rise to the top and the worse players go to the bottom. Mid players stay in the middle.

That means, with enough time, the system comes out to the fairest it can be. Where you’re next to similarly rated players when you match.

A player with a huge account that can’t play well shouldn’t be matched with a much more skilled player based on roster size. They should be matched to a player that means they both have an equal chance to win. That’s what this matching system does over time

Unfortunately, we’re in the early stages and everyone has started on the same amount. So there’s some evident disparity for now. Once it’s balanced out, you will be able to match someone where you both have an equal chance to win.
    Since I believe you belong to "top tiers"
    Iam at 1358 rating and and still going down and dont know when will i stop getting matches against tbs

Doosra said:

Wicket329 said:

Doosra said:

I can get the fun of playing against my friends
    Isn't that enough??
    You will but that's not what this is all about right now.
  • Options
    Graves_3Graves_3 Posts: 1,303 ★★★★★

Some of you remember back when AW war ratings were reset and everyone started the same rating. This caused crazy matchups that had people losing their minds. Over time, it balances out for the most part.

This setup isnt that different from AW rating and will balance out mostly over.time, but will always be a bit crazy at a reset where everyone starts at same rating

This is true and I agree that over long term this will balance out. But for a beta, lower level accounts are actually spending energy only to lose initially. To circumvent this, kabam should have added a few energy refills like previous versions so they don’t feel as bad about losing initially.
  • Options
    Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,185 ★★★★★
    You don't have to win 30 matches each week to succeed in BG and get good rewards.
  • Options
    Wicket329Wicket329 Posts: 3,021 ★★★★★
    Doosra said:

Wicket329 said:

Doosra said:

They are beta testing the mechanics of the mode here because there are a lot of variables in this new system. The challenge a friend system pretty much exists already with the Incursions mechanics. So they don’t need people testing that right now

Doosra said:

Wicket329 said:

Doosra said:

I think what’s important here is that this beta is only indirectly for the players’ benefit. It is more directly for Kabam’s benefit so that they can tune the mode and get it to a launchable point. Adding the direct challenge to friends mode does not serve that goal, so it’s not included as of yet. Same with the other content that @Demonzfyre mentions in a later post, that is all secondary to just getting the mode live. Even the rewards are just incidental to the mode right now, existing for the sole purpose of incentivizing players to test the game mode.

Once it’s live, that’s when we can start looking for all the bells and whistles.
  • Options
    And now the top tier players are sandbagging and intentionally loosing and coming into zone where usual cavs with their limited amount of
    Maxed champs are matched against,
    The only way this could be stopped (if there are objectives similar to this beta in official release) is make a rating tier according to progression like cavs can only reach a max rating of 'x' and can have a min rating of 'y' so this would make everybodys life easier
  • Options
    Doosra said:

And now the top tier players are sandbagging and intentionally loosing and coming into zone where usual cavs with their limited amount of
    Maxed champs are matched against,
    The only way this could be stopped (if there are objectives similar to this beta in official release) is make a rating tier according to progression like cavs can only reach a max rating of 'x' and can have a min rating of 'y' so this would make everybodys life easier

I don't think progression should be locked in their own tiers, but I suspect there will eventually be tiers which would probably discourage tanking with potential seasonal rewards or store items
  • Options
    ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
    The problem is currently there is literally no motivation for having a high bg rating (which I assume will change after beta). The only thing you get currently from having high bg rating is to inflate your ego on something with minimal meaning.
  • Options
    Denslo500Denslo500 Posts: 903 ★★★
    @Demonzfyre by the time the rankings settle out, 90% of the constant losers will have given up on BG.
    You need a broad player base for BG to work.

I would have kabam make a handicap mechanic (like golf or other sports with potential match up inequities ).
    - make an upper rarity limit (if you match a 4* account, you only get your 4*s), for example.

Handicapping skill would drive people away, so I would avoid that.
  • Options
    Denslo500 said:

@Demonzfyre by the time the rankings settle out, 90% of the constant losers will have given up on BG.

I would have kabam make a handicap mechanic (like golf or other sports with potential match up inequities ).
    - make an upper rarity limit (if you match a 4* account, you only get your 4*s), for example.

There's still a lot of beta testing to do. Kabam has already said there will be at least 2 modes, one for competitive and one for fun or to challenge your friends.

I'm quite sure there will be some sort of bracketing type of mechanic like there is for war but only for competitive.
  • Options

Denslo500 said:

There's still a lot of beta testing to do. Kabam has already said there will be at least 2 modes, one for competitive and one for fun or to challenge your friends.

I'm quite sure there will be some sort of bracketing type of mechanic like there is for war but only for competitive.
    I think thats what a lot of people forget is that this is still a beta and most likely not the last one. They still have a lot to figure out and they know it.
  • Options

Denslo500 said:

I think thats what a lot of people forget is that this is still a beta and most likely not the last one. They still have a lot to figure out and they know it.
    Yes exactly. They're testing many facets of this mode to fine tune the mode. Right now, we're testing timers, refresh timers and nodes.