**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Why does Wiccan apply Incinerates to Red Guardin and Spidey 99 when they dex?

Very curious to understand how does Wiccan’s ability of applying an incinerate debuff when the opponent’s ability fail due to his neutralize, when the opponent in question is not triggering any buff.

If the answer is “but he would”, then it doesn’t make sense that the entire advantage of being immune to buffs won’t work against a Mystic champion designed to punish buffs.

Comments

• Options
    ChikelChikel Posts: 2,059 ★★★★
    It was also a problem against the Bull guy last month (Can't remember his name) His abilities were triggering and S2099 debuff pausing wasn't happening
  • Options
    PussaleyPussaley Posts: 54
    Chikel said:

It was also a problem against the Bull guy last month (Can't remember his name) His abilities were triggering and S2099 debuff pausing wasn't happening

Rintrah :)
  • Options
    TimeGenesisTimeGenesis Posts: 732 ★★★
    edited July 2022
    I hope it's a bug but I think this is because of Wiccan's AAR on you. Or the interaction that happens with AAR

So when you Dex on RG you would gain +1 on his shield. Look at the video of him dexing that attack. The reduced aa caused you not gaining that extra charge. It might be because of this that it is failing?

Since its the weekend, maybe we can bump this post when the mods return for clarification
  • Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★

Not commenting on the issue but the way immunity works is by preventing something that would have happened otherwise? So maybe this prevention is causing it to count? But according to wiccans kit it shouldn't ?
  • Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★

A champion being buff immune is neither reduced ability accuracy, nor one of Wiccan’s personal abilities. This is black and white, not an opinion.

We can only play by the rules Kabam set, so champions should work by the descriptions given otherwise it’s a bug or a faulty description.

Either more care should be taken with descriptions, or the bug should be fixed.

Whilst noting the @Cat_Murdock comment above, I agree with @BitterSteel that this is a situation demanding some kind of solution by Kabam.

Red Guardian has a specific (and rare) ability not to gain buffs. It's an active Immunity (not a failure of anything); and should completely bypass Wiccan's Neutralise, which punishes failure to gain buffs by chance. Not just the failure of abilities in general.

Clare Voyant punishes Immunities; and for years, she has punished Red Guardians Buff Immunity by gaining power and clairvoyance charges:

So Red Guardian (a Science champion, btw) is being punished for a successful ability by one Mystic (Clare), and for a failed ability by a different Mystic (Wiccan). Surely one of these is wrong?
    Claire's would be the correct interaction. Since her sp2 is basically the same effect red guardian has on him all the time
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,254 ★★★★★
    Speeds80 said:

Forums mods don’t seem to weigh in on bugs anymore, they used to check with the team about interactions like this

This isn't the Bugs Section.
  • Options
    GrandOldKaiGrandOldKai Posts: 785 ★★★★
    Perhaps a (very simple) solution is to make both Red Guardian and Spider-Man 2099 immune to Neutralise

If they can't gain buffs, why would Neutralise work on them?

How do they interact with Neutralise from other champs that place it?
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,687 Guardian
    As I understand this interaction, it is working as described.

Neutralize does something very specific. It reduces the ability accuracy of buffs.

Immunity also does something very specific. It blocks effects from happening that otherwise would happen.

Now, when you dex with Red Guardian, the dexterity mastery gives him a 100% chance to gain a buff. When that buff triggers, it should place a buff effect on RG, but RG’s immunity blocks it. However, the buff still *triggered*. That’s important.

Wiccan does not care if a target is immune to buffs or not. He doesn’t care if the buff “wouldn’t have worked anyway”. His ability states if an ability fails *because of reduced ability accuracy* he applies his incinerate. If he neutralizes his opponent, buffs will start to fail to trigger because of reduced AA, and that includes the precision buff from Dexterity.

It doesn’t matter if the target is immune to buffs, nor should it matter. Champs like Red Guardian do not exist in a separate universe where buffs don’t exist. They still exist. Their immunity just blocks them. IF they are triggered in the first place.

Colossus is immune to bleed. That does not mean his ability magically rewrites opponents so their bleed abilities no longer exist. They still exist. They still trigger. And then his immunity block them. Dexterity still exists. It still can trigger buffs on *any* champ with Dexterity. *Some* champs have an immunity to those buffs. Which kicks in *if they trigger*. But immunity doesn’t magically prevent triggering.

I understand some people think immunity to buffs means they can pretend buffs just don’t exist for that champion. But that’s not how the game works, nor how it is described or implied to work. Immunity doesn’t rewrite the laws of physics of the game. Immunity blocks things that actually exist. It prevents them from taking effect. It doesn’t magically change history so they never happened. The game first decides if a buff comes into existence, and then decides if the target is immune to it.

If immunity prevented effects from even triggering, then champs Like Colossus could not gain benefits from his immunities preventing an effect. Because if immunity to bleed meant that all bleed effects just didn’t even attempt to be triggered, they would never exist for his immunity to protect him from.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,687 Guardian

The buff triggered is being neutralized before immunity kicks in.
    But there is no buff to neutralize.

It's same thing if we compare this to
    Maschocism, putting a bleed on a bleed immune. Etc
    Conflictor: same thing, putting poison on poison immune. Etc

This is a misconception off what neutralize does. Neutralize does not remove buffs that exist. That’s what nullify does. Neutralize *prevents* buffs from coming into existence, by reducing their chance to exist. If neutralize takes effect, no buff exists to be “neutralized.” Neutralize is a prevention mechanism. Ability accuracy is the way it does it’s thing. Which is specifically what Wiccan is watching over. If a buff wants to come into existence but it fails because it fails its ability accuracy roll, Wiccan sees that and applies an incinerate.

Same thing happens with Masochism. Masochism has a chance to apply a bleed debuff. It rolls this chance whether the target is bleed immune or not. If it fails, there’s no bleed effect. If it succeeds, there is a bleed effect. If the target is immune to bleed, then that bleed effect which came into existence is then blocked by that immunity.
  • Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

From what I understand from the explanation, “having a buff” and “gaining a buff” are separate interactions. S99 and Red can’t “have a buff” but they aren’t immune to the “gain” aspect. Like how S99 refreshes Debuffs whenever he would gain a buff, or RG gains shield charges when he would gain a buff. The neutralize is triggering off the “would gain” which is also why his debuff pausing won’t activate while he’s affected by it. I use S99 religiously so I wish the interaction here was different for sure, but to the best of my knowledge that’s kinda what’s going on.

Ok so I was thinking about this part more, and I think that this bit makes sense. I’ve completely changed my mind on this one unfortunately, and this particular interaction makes sense to me.

Think of it like a flow chart

Spidey “whenever a buff is prevented by his immunity he pauses debuffs”

- Spidey 2099 dexes

- did a buff get prevented by his immunity?
    If yes, then pause.

However, if he has neutralise on him, then It goes a little different.

- Spidey 2099 dexes

No, because the buff was actually prevented by the neutralise, he would never have gotten the buff to trigger his immunity. It doesn’t matter that he was immune, because that’s later on in the flow chart

Think of neutralise like a concussion that’s only aimed at buffs. It reduces AAR by 100% but specifically for buffs. How can a buff be prevented by Spidey’s immunity if it never would have triggered?

Imagine if a champion has abilities that triggered from being bled and was immune to bleed, but they had a concussion on them.

Colossus for example, with his armour buffs triggering from being bled. But imagine he had a debuff on him that was “bleed abilities suffer -100% ability accuracy”. If a bleed is applied to him, it reduces the ability accuracy of that bleed so it’s never applied, so how would he be able to proc an armour off that immunity when it hasn’t been applied?

It’s the same logic here, Spidey’s buff is interrupted, for lack of a better word, by the neutralise, meaning it’s never triggered in the first place. Because it’s never triggered, it can never activate his immunity.

The same way the bleed suffers -100% ability accuracy and never triggers colossus’ immunity, Spidey’s buff suffers -100% ability accuracy and never triggers Spidey’s immunity.
  • Options
    Malreck04Malreck04 Posts: 3,323 ★★★★★

From what I understand from the explanation, “having a buff” and “gaining a buff” are separate interactions. S99 and Red can’t “have a buff” but they aren’t immune to the “gain” aspect. Like how S99 refreshes Debuffs whenever he would gain a buff, or RG gains shield charges when he would gain a buff. The neutralize is triggering off the “would gain” which is also why his debuff pausing won’t activate while he’s affected by it. I use S99 religiously so I wish the interaction here was different for sure, but to the best of my knowledge that’s kinda what’s going on.

No, because the buff was actually prevented by the neutralise, he would never have gotten the buff to trigger his immunity. It doesn’t matter that he was immune, because that’s later on in the flow chart
    But why should that be the order of precedence? The abilities of a specific champion are the only constant in any fight in which that champion is used, those abilities should hold water in any situation where similar, extra abilities are competing.

I guess what I'm asking is have there been similar instances/interactions in the past that would at the very least show this kind of prioritisation in action, or if it has been coded specifically to counter buff immunity and essentially reduce the effectiveness of these champions.
    I have been feeling that my recent comments are leaning into what can be classified as conspiratorial, and that is unfortunate.
  • Options
    Malreck04Malreck04 Posts: 3,323 ★★★★★
    Malreck04 said:

But why should that be the order of precedence? The abilities of a specific champion are the only constant in any fight in which that champion is used, those abilities should hold water in any situation where similar, extra abilities are competing.

I guess what I'm asking is have there been similar instances/interactions in the past that would at the very least show this kind of prioritisation in action, or if it has been coded specifically to counter buff immunity and essentially reduce the effectiveness of these champions.
    I have been feeling that my recent comments are leaning into what can be classified as conspiratorial, and that is unfortunate.
    ok unfortunate as it makes me to have to admit this, in its current state it seems that even tigra's neutralize works this way, dexing after getting a neutralize on me triggers a rupture. I don't know if there is footage of it working this way when tigra was released(red guardian was already out) but yeah the code seems to work that way universally for neutralizes