**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

The biggest issue with BG matchmaking

ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
edited October 2022 in General Discussion
Well the biggest issue with BG matchmaking isn't the reason that people are non stop posting about on forums. Many lower and less developed accounts frequently post complaints that they are being matched with people with more developed accounts than theirs.

If we weren't all competing for the exact same rewards that are based on progression through BG, I would understand their points but since that is not the case I feel these complaints to be unrealistic.

I feel that the reason these complaints grow is because of the biggest flaw in the BG matchmaking system which is it DOES take BG roster (rating or prestige) into account in matchmaking. Don't believe, switch out all your high ranked 6 stars with 4 stars and you will get significantly lower ranked opponents which proves this is taken into account for matchmaking.

However, there is a catch. This really only seems to make a major difference in the highly populated lower tiers like bronze, silver and even to some extent gold (depending how deep into season).

The higher tier you get into, the fewer the options, especially the fewer the amount of lesser developed rosters. Most of those I've seen complain on unbalanced matchups either don't show pictures of the active BG rosters or are in a tier that is much higher than they belong.

If a low developed roster is primarily getting matched with other low tier rosters while in bronze, silver and gold, that almost completely goes away by high gold or platinum, as those options don't exist in high quantity anymore.

But they get upset that they are all of a sudden to getting harder matches when in fact they only reason they got that high was because of the biggest flaw in the BG matchmaking system which is that it DOES take rating/prestige into account, to some extent setting up false expectations for lower rosters and allowing them to get higher than they belong.

There are two fair ways to fix this issue. The most obvious way is to make this matchmaking like AW, which goes simply by AW rating and that's that. If everyone is competing for same rewards that makes the most sense.

I can understand and respect issues with that, but then those who don't compete with the higher rosters shouldn't get same rewards as the higher rosters. So this would lead to a second possible solution. This would be have separate leagues. The separate leagues would only compete with those in that league but the higher league would have higher rewards and those in the lower league would have lower rewards.

I'm sure I'm going to get a ton of disagrees, which is fine, but if you disagree, please explain why.
Post edited by Kabam Jax on

Comments

• Options
    rivetrivet Posts: 254
    Agree
  • Options
    ChiliDogChiliDog Posts: 883 ★★★
    Unfortunately, without details on this, then all further seasons will be sandbagging even on small scale players like when using marks versus energy. We need to know the system is fair or it will be exploited. I recall g1/g2 tier AW was much easier to obtain with 4*s alliances back when I only had 4*s before the changes to AW matchmaking. The alliance fell apart and I switched to a much stronger alliance and their opponents were much higher pi at a worse tier. They need to relook at this or it will basically be like midseason losing AW sandbaggers again.
  • Options
    DiplodocusDiplodocus Posts: 234 ★★★

If we weren't all competing for the exact same rewards that are based on progression through BG, I would understand their points but since that is not the case I feel these complaints to be unrealistic.

We are not competing for the same rewards in victory track. So if a lower account can get gold 1 bracket rewards it doesn't mean that you can't take the same rewards.

Similar type of matchmaking like Aw takes place in gladiator circuit where we are actually competing for the same rewards which are much higher than victory track.

Aw matchmaking is not possible for victory track coz at any point of time their will be definitely many strong accounts who will just start from bronze and move upwards crushing everyone on the way. A player who has lower roster will keep getting inconsistent matches sometimes matching with player of similar calibre and at other times matching player with much higher calibre. An average roster who have started later will keep getting inconsistent matches sometimes matching with player of similar calibre and at other times matching player with higher caliber and at other times matching player with lower calibre. There will be so much inconsistency in this and so much bad experience in this. Just imagine what will be your experience in aw if in one war u match with very higher level alliance and at other levels you match with lower alliance. Win and loss will depend on rng on whom u match and neither their will be any suspense remaining about the result. The reason this type of situation does not occur in alliance wars is coz their are limited number of wars. Kabam earlier wanted to also limit no of battleground matches which everyone hated and so they did not use aw matchmaking system in battlegrounds.
  • Options
    ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Posts: 3,295 ★★★★★
    edited October 2022

Well the biggest issue with BG matchmaking isn't the reason that people are non stop posting about on forums. Many lower and less developed accounts frequently post complaints that they are being matched with people with more developed accounts than theirs.

I feel that the reason these complaints grow is because of the biggest flaw in the BG matchmaking system which is it DOES take BG roster (rating or prestige) into account in matchmaking. Don't believe, switch out all your high ranked 6 stars with 4 stars and you will get significantly lower ranked opponents which proves this is taken into account for matchmaking.

However, there is a catch. This really only seems to make a major difference in the highly populated lower tiers like bronze, silver and even to some extent gold (depending how deep into season).

The higher tier you get into, the fewer the options, especially the fewer the amount of lesser developed rosters. Most of those I've seen complain on unbalanced matchups either don't show pictures of the active BG rosters or are in a tier that is much higher than they belong.

If a low developed roster is primarily getting matched with other low tier rosters while in bronze, silver and gold, that almost completely goes away by high gold or platinum, as those options don't exist in high quantity anymore.

But they get upset that they are all of a sudden to getting harder matches when in fact they only reason they got that high was because of the biggest flaw in the BG matchmaking system which is that it DOES take rating/prestige into account, to some extent setting up false expectations for lower rosters and allowing them to get higher than they belong.

There are two fair ways to fix this issue. The most obvious way is to make this matchmaking like AW, which goes simply by AW rating and that's that. If everyone is competing for same rewards that makes the most sense.

I can understand and respect issues with that, but then those who don't compete with the higher rosters shouldn't get same rewards as the higher rosters. So this would lead to a second possible solution. This would be have separate leagues. The separate leagues would only compete with those in that league but the higher league would have higher rewards and those in the lower league would have lower rewards.

I'm sure I'm going to get a ton of disagrees, which is fine, but if you disagree, please explain why.

Damn you seem to really hate the fact that people keep pointing out how terrible the game mode is due do the flaws in its design. If you want to keep bullying people with lower rosters just say that instead of typing paragraphs acting all "I know what the problem actually is and I also know the solution, everyone else is wrong and only I am right"
    Lol @ “bullying”. Total nonsense response to the OP.
    Nonsense? Dude's a Paragon lmao you can easily see why he doesn't want matchmaking fixed, cause if they fix it he won't get easy fights anymore no matter what. Not to mention 80% of his comments are basically him complaining about lower players complaining about matchmaking, entitled much?
  • Options
    _Pez_ said:

Damn you seem to really hate the fact that people keep pointing out how terrible the game mode is due do the flaws in its design. If you want to keep bullying people with lower rosters just say that instead of typing paragraphs acting all "I know what the problem actually is and I also know the solution, everyone else is wrong and only I am right"
    So you think you should compete for the same rewards and not face higher accounts? The only fair things are to have matchmaking completely random within the same tier ignoring all ranking or separate the tiers out by progression and not let lower progressions compete for the same rewards.

I Do feel the start of season could be made less chaotic by not starting everyone from the same spot, maybe everyone drops one tier from their final position and gets to claim all rewards up to that tier.

There is a slight difference in rewards with price differences but the rank rewards and final placement cannot be the same for everyone if different rosters are separated by matchmaking.
    Never said I want the same rewards what are you on about? I wouldn't mind getting less rewards as long as I can actually play the game mode you know? Instead of being forced to automatically give up.

• Options
    _Pez__Pez_ Posts: 216 ★★★

_Pez_ said:

So you think you should compete for the same rewards and not face higher accounts? The only fair things are to have matchmaking completely random within the same tier ignoring all ranking or separate the tiers out by progression and not let lower progressions compete for the same rewards.

I Do feel the start of season could be made less chaotic by not starting everyone from the same spot, maybe everyone drops one tier from their final position and gets to claim all rewards up to that tier.

There is a slight difference in rewards with price differences but the rank rewards and final placement cannot be the same for everyone if different rosters are separated by matchmaking.
    Never said I want the same rewards what are you on about? I wouldn't mind getting less rewards as long as I can actually play the game mode you know? Instead of being forced to automatically give up.

That's fine then, just the current setup of everyone competing for the same thing can't coexist with separating people so they cannot face each other, so as long as people don't want it both ways it's fine :)

Seems there are 2 suitable options then.

1) Separate the reward structure more so they are more strongly progression based whilst keeping the matchmaking based on a fair assessment of roster strength, like top 7 champs in deck.

2) Keep things as they are with everyone able to get the best rewards but everyone should have equal chance of fighting anyone else in the same tier/league so no roster based matching

• Options
    edited October 2022

Nonsense? Dude's a Paragon lmao you can easily see why he doesn't want matchmaking fixed, cause if they fix it he won't get easy fights anymore no matter what. Not to mention 80% of his comments are basically him complaining about lower players complaining about matchmaking, entitled much?
    80% ? Either your really, really, really bad at math or might want to go back through and recount.

Also, I'm seeing you complaining about your horrible BG matchups all over the place but have yet to see even one single screenshot to support this.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

80% ? Either your really, really, really bad at math or might want to go back through and recount.

Also, I'm seeing you complaining about your horrible BG matchups all over the place but have yet to see even one single screenshot to support this.
    I've seen you on every single discussion about broken matchmaking complaining, literally every single one of them. If you really wanted this matchmaking issue to be fixed you certainly wouldn't be all over the place complaining about every single person who's complaining because they keep getting matched with unbeatable opponents, which is an actual valid reason to be annoyed.

I've barely talked about it on two other posts, you on the other hand are everywhere, projecting? Or you just want to keep those easy wins so you can progress faster while weaker players progress slower?
  • Options
    _Pez_ said:

_Pez_ said:

That's fine then, just the current setup of everyone competing for the same thing can't coexist with separating people so they cannot face each other, so as long as people don't want it both ways it's fine :)

Seems there are 2 suitable options then.

1) Separate the reward structure more so they are more strongly progression based whilst keeping the matchmaking based on a fair assessment of roster strength, like top 7 champs in deck.

2) Keep things as they are with everyone able to get the best rewards but everyone should have equal chance of fighting anyone else in the same tier/league so no roster based matching

First one sounds like a great idea, I really just want to be able to play the game mode, get a few rewards (yes even if it's less than right now) and not feel completely helpless once I reach a certain tier. That's all
  • Options

Your the one with the weaker, undeveloped roster competing for the same rewards as someone like me who has as extremely developed roster. I did not start with thai roster, I've been playing this game daily for almost 7 years and have 100% all game content to develop this roster.

But you think that I'm "entitled" because I don't agree that people who have put less effort into their accounts shouldn't compete with stronger accounts when competing for the same rewards?

Do you know what "entitled"means or were you mistakenly describing yourself? I believe everyone competing for the same rewards in the same tier should be open game.

You believe you should get matched specially with others who put little effort to to the account which would make it easier for you to progress to get better rewards then much better players with much better accounts that you. What you want is the definition of "entitled".
  • Options
    Graves_3Graves_3 Posts: 1,304 ★★★★★

We are not competing for the same rewards in victory track. So if a lower account can get gold 1 bracket rewards it doesn't mean that you can't take the same rewards.

We actually are though. There is the solo event rank rewards which are pretty good for placing high up. The way you score points is by winning and earning elder marks. To do that you need to progress higher and if matchmaking is lopsided, it gives distinct advantage to people with low battle ground roster strength with skills slightly higher than the roster they field.
  • Options
    WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    Monk1 said:

The very concept of dropping everyone into a single pot, with so many accounts and top to bottom being so broad was always flawed.

That said if everyone competes for same rewards then matching should be 100% random. Roster strength has no place until they opt to put people in leagues.

A simple solution is to put people in brackets and then put the progression rewards (marks and tokens) into solo milestones

I think they just need to stagger where people start in the VT based on either progression level or where you finished the previous season.

Matchmaking itself should be completely random within whichever bracket of the VT you're currently in. Roster should have absolutely zero bearing on matchmaking imo.

I also have no desire to get lopsided matches in my favor bc that's not even mildly fun. That's why I'm in favor of the staggered start, but unless they completely segregate lower progression players from the same reward pools as higher players, matching just shouldn't have anything to do with deck rating, deck prestige, etc...
  • Options
    WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    I could only imagine the outrage if they did segregate progression levels once those lower level players saw just how much the rewards they could even possibly get at best would get slashed.
  • Options
    Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,185 ★★★★★
    The real problem is people taking this game way too seriously.
  • Options

The real problem is people taking this game way too seriously.

No, I don’t think that is it.
  • Options

Your the one with the weaker, undeveloped roster competing for the same rewards as someone like me who has as extremely developed roster. I did not start with thai roster, I've been playing this game daily for almost 7 years and have 100% all game content to develop this roster.

But you think that I'm "entitled" because I don't agree that people who have put less effort into their accounts shouldn't compete with stronger accounts when competing for the same rewards?

Do you know what "entitled"means or were you mistakenly describing yourself? I believe everyone competing for the same rewards in the same tier should be open game.

You believe you should get matched specially with others who put little effort to to the account which would make it easier for you to progress to get better rewards then much better players with much better accounts that you. What you want is the definition of "entitled".
    Then what's the whole point of giving others the chance to play the game mode if there's no balance whatsoever you genius. Have you ever played literally any other game besides this one? Cause that's terrible game design lmao.

It's one one thing to compete with stronger opponents, and another to compete with someone who's two years worth of progress ahead of you. Do you not see the difference and how unbalanced that is?

OR here's an idea your brain probably wouldn't be able to come up with: make it so not all the players all lumped in together that way I can't get the best rewards and you can't play against people like me to get those rewards easily?

No, I believe I should get matched with other people who are Uncollected like me and are at the same skill level as me, not Thronebreakers and Paragons. God your logic is something else.
  • Options

So you think everyone should be lumped in together? What's the point then? I don't know what other games you've played but that right there is terrible game design.

No, I think you're entitled because you obviously know there's a difference between getting matched with a stronger opponent and someone who's three years worth of progress ahead of you, you know it's obviously unfair and still refuse to admit the fact that this can be annoying and an issue for players with "weaker undeveloped" rosters. Why? Cause you probably do the same bs every other player has been doing to get easy wins and climb up to the top in less than a week. That right there is why you're entitled.

OR here's an idea you clearly couldn't come up with: don't lump every player together, that way I can't get the same rewards you get and you can't verse people like me to get those rewards easily.

No, I believe I should get matched with people who are uncollected like me, not Thronebreakers and Paragons. I also believe I shouldn't get the same rewards as you, that's dumb. Your logic really is something else.
    Did you even read my post before your tangent? It's hilarious because what your suggesting is the exact same thing I said in one of my two potential solutions for the issue in the original post on this thread.

I literally said a solution would be to have separate leagues based on progress or roster strength with lower leagues having lower rewards. You quickly had a negative response to my post but are now recommending exactly what I recommended when you were disagreeing with it.

So either I changed your mind and you now agree with me or you just were too emotional to read my post before writing nonsense responses.
  • Options
    Wozzle007Wozzle007 Posts: 937 ★★★★★
    This is the SOLO COMPETITIVE MODE. If you want to face people if similar roster level, make friends with people if a similar roster level and fight them in friendly mode.

Why should someone at Cav/TB level roster have an easy route through to the Gladiator circuit. And then what, you get to Gladiator circuit and get easy matches until you rank number 1 in the world, avoiding every paragon player because they have a stronger roster? Matchmaking should be based on win loss record not on relative roster record.

I don’t enjoy get matched against paragon players with 10+ R4’s but that my problem to either get gud, or get my R4’s. Eventually they will be in a different league in the ladder to me and I won’t face them.

We get the same argument when EOP fights come out or AOL comes and people complain the fights are too hard when they don’t have the roster to compete. Eventually you will, but gotta build up the deck first.
  • Options

So you think everyone should be lumped in together? What's the point then? I don't know what other games you've played but that right there is terrible game design.

No, I think you're entitled because you obviously know there's a difference between getting matched with a stronger opponent and someone who's three years worth of progress ahead of you, you know it's obviously unfair and still refuse to admit the fact that this can be annoying and an issue for players with "weaker undeveloped" rosters. Why? Cause you probably do the same bs every other player has been doing to get easy wins and climb up to the top in less than a week. That right there is why you're entitled.

OR here's an idea you clearly couldn't come up with: don't lump every player together, that way I can't get the same rewards you get and you can't verse people like me to get those rewards easily.

No, I believe I should get matched with people who are uncollected like me, not Thronebreakers and Paragons. I also believe I shouldn't get the same rewards as you, that's dumb. Your logic really is something else.
    Did you even read my post before your tangent? It's hilarious because what your suggesting is the exact same thing I said in one of my two potential solutions for the issue in the original post on this thread.

I literally said a solution would be to have separate leagues based on progress or roster strength with lower leagues having lower rewards. You quickly had a negative response to my post but are now recommending exactly what I recommended when you were disagreeing with it.

So either I changed your mind and you now agree with me or you just were too emotional to read my post before writing nonsense responses.
    No, it's not. Your lack of reading comprehension is the only funny thing here. I never said anything about different leagues, I just said tone down the rewards and make it so I only face people who are at the same level as me.

You didn't change anything because what you suggested isn't exactly what I suggested, it's that simple lol
  • Options
    edited October 2022

No, it's not. Your lack of reading comprehension is the only funny thing here. I never said anything about different leagues, I just said tone down the rewards and make it so I only face people who are at the same level as me.

You didn't change anything because what you suggested isn't exactly what I suggested, it's that simple lol
    Your so in denial. Please explain to me how different groups of people based on roster strength and progression with lower groups getting smaller rewards is different than leagues?

Oh you can't, because it's the same thing, ya I figured.

And oh wait, you still haven't been able to post even one screenshot of these horribly unfair matchups you keep shouting about despite numerous requests on multiple threads, oh wait, you can't because you haven't experienced it to the level you claim.

Either backup your unfounded statements or let it go. Contrary to your claims, BG matchmaking very much takes user rating/prestige into account, especially in low tier where the lower players belong anyway.

I have never once been matched with a UC player in either season when I run my real roster. When I switch to 4 and 5 stars I get UC and Cav otherwise when using my 6* r3 and r4s I get paragon pretty much every time with rare TB exception.

As a disclaimer as I've said many times, this does change around platinum or so when you will find far fewer small rosters to match against each other. However if a UC is getting matched with paragon in platinum, they need to be thankful of this current flawed matching system as if we all fought each other based on tier as it should be then they wouldn't ever gotten close to that.
  • Options

Your so in denial. Please explain to me how different groups of people based on roster strength and progression with lower groups getting smaller rewards is different than leagues?

Oh you can't, because it's the same thing, ya I figured.

And oh wait, you still haven't been able to post even one screenshot of these horribly unfair matchups you keep shouting about despite numerous requests on multiple threads, oh wait, you can't because you haven't experienced it to the level you claim.

Either backup your unfounded statements or let it go. Contrary to your claims, BG matchmaking very much takes user rating/prestige into account, especially in low tier where the lower players belong anyway.

I have never once been matched with a UC player in either season when I run my real roster. When I switch to 4 and 5 stars I get UC and Cav otherwise when using my 6* r3 and r4s I get paragon pretty much every time with rare TB exception.

As a disclaimer as I've said many times, this does change around platinum or so when you will find far fewer small rosters to match against each other. However if a UC is getting matched with paragon in platinum, they need to be thankful of this current flawed matching system as if we all fought each other based on tier as it should be then they wouldn't ever gotten close to that.
    Breaking news: leagues and groups are the same word with the same meaning lmao.

Why do I need to post screenshots when there's already a good number of them from other people? If anyone here is in denial it's definitely you.

Yeah that's cause you're obviously not pulling off the "let me run 12 rank 3 6* and the rest 1* so I can get people with extremely weak rosters and win", if you don't see how this is an actual issue you're just a very dense person cause damn.

Be thankful for not being able to reach platinum or higher and verse other people with the same skill level and roster rating while obviously receiving far less rewards than those above you (cav, throne and paragon)? You're trolling right? Lmao
  • Options
    Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,919 ★★★★★

Holy hell this is a terrible response.

Match making is garbage.
This discussion has been closed.