Options

Thoughts on Rocket Raccon post-buff?

HzoriHzori Posts: 288 ★★
I pulled him 3 times from the featured and would like to see this as a win in any capacity but I'm not so sure it is. He's better but I don't see myself using him over other much better tech champs in my roster (Ghost, Nimrod, Peni, Ultron) or champs that can do what Rocket can do but better (I.e., Doom for power control/ Torch for Heal block or reversal).

The only valuable piece of utility imo is his easy access to passive heal block which is great but I don't think that alone warrants a rank up. Peni for example can also passively heal block and she's just a much better champion overall and heal blocking in general is just one of the most accessible utilities in the game.

Personally I'd rate Rocket's buff a 7/10, he's decent but there's much better options for nearly anything he can do. If somebody can convince me that he's much better than I think he is, I'm all ears.

Comments

• Options
    Hector_1475Hector_1475 Posts: 1,788 ★★★★★
    edited November 2022
    Mine is unduped and I have no intention of ranking up further. I was not impressed by his buff and I agree with you, I have other Tech champs that do what he seems to do, way better. It seems that the biggest change in his buff, was his Prestige. Maybe he will be a sig-stone pit for some players but I'm not interested in that.
  • Options
    It was a great buff, his damage is still consistent with prebuff with way more utility. The biggest places you'll see him shine is in BGs when you perma power drain anyone who runs willpower
  • Options
    AMS94 said:

IMO u're being generous with a 7

Can’t even argue with you. Didn’t want to rate him too low though because I can see at least some uses for him, but yeah, a 6/10 is reasonable too.
  • Options
    J0eySn0w said:

Hzori said:

I pulled him 3 times from the featured and would like to see this as a win in any capacity but I'm not so sure it is. He's better but I don't see myself using him over other much better tech champs in my roster (Ghost, Nimrod, Peni, Ultron) or champs that can do what Rocket can do but better (I.e., Doom for power control/ Torch for Heal block or reversal).

The only valuable piece of utility imo is his easy access to passive heal block which is great but I don't think that alone warrants a rank up. Peni for example can also passively heal block and she's just a much better champion overall and heal blocking in general is just one of the most accessible utilities in the game.

Personally I'd rate Rocket's buff a 7/10, he's decent but there's much better options for nearly anything he can do. If somebody can convince me that he's much better than I think he is, I'm all ears.

This breakdown doesn’t sound like a 7/10 rating. More like 5/10, at best 6/10.

I’ll be less generous haha. My mind has been changed, 6/10.
    5/10 can be argued but passive heal block, some power control and decent crit damage along with some other bits and bobs isn’t the worst.
  • Options
    Drenlin said:

While not a great buff compared to other champs it is still a huge improvement over where he was and isn’t that the intention of the buff program? Not all are going to be god tier but he is a viable champ now depending on roster size and options compared to his previous rank of arena fodder.

You’re not wrong. I know lots of players will have uses for him, but personally my roster is strong enough that I’d prefer having buffed champs that are more than just ‘usable’ and can add something valuable to any roster.
  • Options

Buffs like this make it easy to stop caring about future buffs.

I’m still holding out for that 10/10 Groot buff in the future.
  • Options
    He is gonna be a BGs champ. Place armor breaks and nuke with sp2 and they will never throw a special. He is REALLY GOOD for those fights.
  • Options

He is gonna be a BGs champ. Place armor breaks and nuke with sp2 and they will never throw a special. He is REALLY GOOD for those fights.

Good to know! Champs that are specifically good in BGs are valuable given that’s the best way to get some resources,
    I’ll have to try him in BGs and re-evaluate.
  • Options
    Personally I like what had happened. I’m really enjoying the ruptures in his sp1. That’s pretty much all I use. He isn’t the best but is a fun option if ya got others tied up in other modes
  • Options
    AdevatiAdevati Posts: 437 ★★★
    Same as most buffs these days. Less than okay champ becomes slightly okay’er.

The buff program is like putting a new exhaust on a car. It will sound completely different. But the gain to performance is barely noticeable.
  • Options
    Aomine_Daiki10Aomine_Daiki10 Posts: 1,632 ★★★★★
    Juggy received this type of treatment now look at him now he is very recognized now especially in battlegrounds. Give rocket time he will shine once people gets the hang of his utility.
  • Options
    SHIELD4AGENTSHIELD4AGENT Posts: 915 ★★★★
    I'm enjoying my 6* r3 unawakened
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,273 ★★★★★
    Sorry, but I think differently. He's doing a lot more Damage than he was before.
  • Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★

Sorry, but I think differently. He's doing a lot more Damage than he was before.

https://youtu.be/kPjsDcr7Fc8
    Dmaage was never an issue with him right? It looks basically the same damage
  • Options
    ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Posts: 3,094 ★★★★★
    Hzori said:

I pulled him 3 times from the featured and would like to see this as a win in any capacity but I'm not so sure it is. He's better but I don't see myself using him over other much better tech champs in my roster (Ghost, Nimrod, Peni, Ultron)

This right here pretty much set the tone for the rest of your review. You have options and quite a few of them so in that sense somebody like Rocket, post buff with a lot of the same features, isn't going to stand out as much to you because you already determined who's of immediate value and who isn't.

The Rocket buff wasn't aimed at endgame players or people with extensive rosters but rather at people whose rosters were significantly Limited and at the same time closing the gap between meme tier Champions and reliable champions. So while you'll be comparing left and right all the other Tech Champs at your disposal, you have to try and look at it from a perspective of what if this was my only 5 or 6 star Tech champion?
    Is this going to be good for me?
    Can I survive with this?

Looking at it from this criteria shows that Rockets buff has a lot of upside especially when facing off against mutants or other Tech champions where his ability to recycle armor scrap can really shine.

So from my own time I've used him, I've enjoyed using him and I'll put the buff at an 8.5.

My only criticisms are that he didn't have either a cross fight ability to help other teammates with an armor buff or a proper Synergy to help all the Guardians be a little tougher or potent with their effects but there's always potential for them.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,273 ★★★★★

Not really the same. Also, damn you for making me watch that. 😜
  • Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★

Not really the same. Also, damn you for making me watch that. 😜
    🥴
  • Options

Hzori said:

I pulled him 3 times from the featured and would like to see this as a win in any capacity but I'm not so sure it is. He's better but I don't see myself using him over other much better tech champs in my roster (Ghost, Nimrod, Peni, Ultron)

This right here pretty much set the tone for the rest of your review. You have options and quite a few of them so in that sense somebody like Rocket, post buff with a lot of the same features, isn't going to stand out as much to you because you already determined who's of immediate value and who isn't.

The Rocket buff wasn't aimed at endgame players or people with extensive rosters but rather at people whose rosters were significantly Limited and at the same time closing the gap between meme tier Champions and reliable champions. So while you'll be comparing left and right all the other Tech Champs at your disposal, you have to try and look at it from a perspective of what if this was my only 5 or 6 star Tech champion?
    Can I survive with this?

Looking at it from this criteria shows that Rockets buff has a lot of upside especially when facing off against mutants or other Tech champions where his ability to recycle armor scrap can really shine.

So from my own time I've used him, I've enjoyed using him and I'll put the buff at an 8.5.

My only criticisms are that he didn't have either a cross fight ability to help other teammates with an armor buff or a proper Synergy to help all the Guardians be a little tougher or potent with their effects but there's always potential for them.

I see where you’re coming from and yes, from the perspective of your average player, Rocket is a solid champion no doubt.
    But ultimately what I consider most when rating any champion is how viable they are in endgame or near-endgame content compared to other champions. So in that sense I guess Rocket’s buff just doesn’t appeal to me as much as I would like it to.
  • Options
    ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Posts: 3,094 ★★★★★
    Hzori said:

Hzori said:

Can I survive with this?

I see where you’re coming from and yes, from the perspective of your average player, Rocket is a solid champion no doubt.
    But ultimately what I consider most when rating any champion is how viable they are in endgame or near-endgame content compared to other champions. So in that sense I guess Rocket’s buff just doesn’t appeal to me as much as I would like it to.
    And I get that. If you're an endgame player, you're only going to be thinking about acts 7 and 8 and you're going to want every champion at your disposal to be high damage, high utility, high prestige, high everything but by going how the rules in this game work, that's going to leave you with a very small list no matter what but as long as you're OK with that, we can still call this one a win.
  • Options
    TheParasiteTheParasite Posts: 416 ★★
    is he buffed???
    oh... i just came to realize that after reading this post, lol