**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Drop rates for Featured. Are they weighted probabilities? And how does RNG algo work?

Dude17Dude17 Posts: 133 ★★
edited December 2022 in General Discussion
I know that we have a 100% chance to pull a 6* champ in a Featured crystal but are probabilities weighted by champ? eg. newly released champs vs other champs in the crystal.

1) I’m assuming not or it would need to be specified in the drop rates, yes?
2) Also curious how the RNG algorithm works, ie. is it affected by pop/spin method, bulk openings, current progression title, spending habits, alliance prestige, current roster, etc? Or is it literally a random number generator based on no additional data points? There’s so many possibilities, so am genuinely interested, thx.

Comments

• Dude17Dude17 Posts: 133 ★★
    @DNA3000 Hope you don’t mind me tagging you. You seem to understand such things :)
    edited December 2022
    Haha, thanks for sharing your data! I’m always impressed when players take the time to collect such info. It’s also a fun way to keep track. I wish I had a spreadsheet of all my pulls from day 1 lol.
  • SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Posts: 4,215 ★★★★★
    Im 24 in.
    QS 1 new
    Titania 1 new
    Rocket 1 new
    Miles 1 new
    SWitch 1 new
    Rogue 3
    X23 3
    SL 3
    Groot 3 new
    Thor 3
    Warmaxhine 1
    Professor 2
    Manthing 1

Only 4 Champs I'm looking for, all new.
    Galan gorr negs maw
  • Paulr2011Paulr2011 Posts: 29
    I’ve literally pulled BWDO 4 times out of this crystal. I mean, I don’t expect to get all the best champs but 4 dupes of the same champ out of like 10-15 crystals seems a bit lopsided. Only actual featured champ I’ve gotten so far is Wiccan.
  • Bugmat78Bugmat78 Posts: 2,137 ★★★★★
    At about 45 now. Everybody but quicksilver pulled at least once...
  • solopolosolopolo Posts: 883 ★★★
    Out of 17 pulls so far:
    Rogue 4x
    Professor X 2x
    Winter Soldier 2x
    Galan 1x NEW
    Archangel 1x NEW
    Man-Thing 1x NEW
    Ebony Maw 1x
    Scarlet Witch 1x NEW
    War Machine 1x
    X-23 1x NEW
    Miles 1x NEW
    Groot 1x NEW

My biggest wants now are Valkyrie, Negative, Quicksilver and dupes on AA and SWitch.
  • TheLightBringerTheLightBringer Posts: 453 ★★★★
    Here's a list of my 25 featureds so far

ScarletWitch 2
    Starlord 2
    Thor 2
    Titania 1
    X23 2
    WarMachine 1
    MilesMorales 2
    Ebony maw 1
    Galan 1
    Bwdo 1
    Mr negative 2
    Hulkbuster 1
    Rouge 1
    AA 1
    Prof x 2
    Groot 1
    Shangchi 1
    Quicksilver 1
  • FigueFigue Posts: 83
    i opened like 25 crystals and got everyone except valkyrie and bwdo.. but the probabilities are equal for every champ (4.166% chance by champ) and are not affected by random other things you do
  • Sw0rdMasterSw0rdMaster Posts: 1,724 ★★★★
    edited December 2022
    I opened 15 and this is what i got.

Groot x1
    HB x2
    Negative x1
    Racoon x2
    Manthing x2
    Titania x1
    Galan x3
    Starlord x1
    Wiccan x1
    X23 x1
  • DrZola said:

Here are my distributions over about 40 pulls.

Here's my 44 (to date) pulls from the 6* featured crystal:

1 - Man Thing (sigs)
    2 - Gorr (new)
    3 - Gorr (awaken)
    4 - Shang Chi (sigs)
    5 - Miles Morales (sigs)
    6 - Hulkbustere (awaken)
    7 - Black Widow DO (new)
    8 - Titania (new)
    9 - ProfX (awaken)
    10 - Quicksilver (new)
    11 - ProfX (sigs)
    12 - Titantia (awaken)
    13 - Winter Soldier (sigs)
    14 - Titania (sigs)
    15 - Titania (sigs)
    16 - Archangel (sigs)
    17 - Hulkbuster (sigs)
    18 - Winter Soldier (sigs)
    19 - Hulkbuster (sigs)
    20 - X-23 (sigs)
    21 - Quicksilver (awaken)
    22 - Quicksilver (sigs)
    23 - Thor (awaken)
    24 - Archangel (sigs)
    25 - Gorr (sigs)
    26 - Archangel (sigs)
    27 - Rogue (sigs)
    28 - Hulkbuster (sigs)
    29 - X-23 (sigs)
    30 - Groot (awaken)
    31 - Galan (new)
    32 - Shang Chi (sigs)
    33 - Galan (awaken)
    34 - Wiccan (new)
    35 - Galan (sigs)
    36 - Black Widow DO (awaken)
    37 - Star Lord (new)
    38 - Titania (sigs)
    39 - Winter Soldier (sigs)
    40 - Quicksilver (sigs)
    41 - X-23 (sigs)
    42 - Miles Morales (sigs)
    43 - X-23 (sigs)
    44 - War Machine (sigs)

Distribution:

Titania: 5
    Quicksilver: 4
    Hulkbuster: 4
    X-23: 4
    Galan: 3
    Gorr: 3
    Archangel: 3
    Winter Soldier: 3
    BWDO: 2
    Miles Morales: 2
    ProfX: 2
    Shang Chi: 2
    Wiccan: 1
    Groot: 1
    Man Thing: 1
    Rogue: 1
    Star Lord: 1
    Thor: 1
    War Machine: 1
    Valkyrie: 0
    Scarlet Witch Classic: 0
    Ebony Maw: 0
    Mister Negative: 0
    Rocket Raccoon: 0

16 of 44 are featured champs, which is somewhat higher than average (statistically speaking you'd expect 11 on average). This doesn't prove the crystal is biased towards featured champs (given the margin for error with this sample size this would be a very low confidence result) but it does more strongly suggest the crystal is not biased away from featured champs (if we expect 11 and we actually get 16, that's moderately higher than expected, but if someone believes the crystal is biased away from featured champs and actually expects something like 8 or 5 to show up, then 16 would be far less likely to happen if that were true).

I was initially missing ten of the twenty four champs in the crystal. Statistically speaking I would expect to get between seven and eight of those ten after 44 crystals. I got seven. That's basically what I would expect, and there's no evidence the crystal was deliberately trying to avoid giving me what I was missing.

Is the crystal weighted towards the bottom of the barrel champs? Well, I think most would assert those were Rocket, Groot, Winder Soldier, and Star Lord. That's four out of 24 or one in 6. I would expect to pull about seven of those out of 44 openings. I actually pulled six. That's basically what I would expect, with no evidence of them coming out a lot more frequently than statistically likely.

Now, which champ did I want the most out of this crystal? Actually, with all the great champs in here, the one I was hunting for the most was actually Scarlet Witch Classic. As I have yet to pull her I guess that's some slight statistical evidence that Kabam has managed to implement mind reading in the crystal technology. But as this only has 6.5 to one odds against, its not super strong evidence for computational telepathy yet.
  • I opened 15 and this is what i got.

Groot x1
    HB x2
    Negative x1
    Racoon x2
    Manthing x2
    Titania x1
    Galan x3
    Starlord x1
    Wiccan x1
    X23 x1

Community standards says you're not allowed to pull Galan 3 times as it makes their argument of rigged RNG invalid.
    Whoops.

Also, I pulled Titania, then awakened her, then added sigs to her, then added sigs again to her, then immediately ranked her up and used her against EoP Terrax because I heard she was good for that fight. This has to be the worst failure of crystal rigging Kabam has ever implemented.
  • Sw0rdMasterSw0rdMaster Posts: 1,724 ★★★★

Groot x1
    HB x2
    Negative x1
    Racoon x2
    Manthing x2
    Titania x1
    Galan x3
    Starlord x1
    Wiccan x1
    X23 x1

Community standards says you're not allowed to pull Galan 3 times as it makes their argument of rigged RNG invalid. You're only allowed to post your trash pulls to satisfy the confirmation bias.
    I didn't get QS so it must be rigged 🤣
  • SquirrelguySquirrelguy Posts: 2,632 ★★★★★
    edited December 2022
    DNA3000 said:

There's also an idea floating around out there that the crystals are programmed with an algorithm to have a higher probability of giving you what you don't need. So for example, if you are overflowing with tech T4CC but have no skill T4CC, the T4CC crystals will have a higher probability of giving you tech T4CC. This is ridiculous, easily disproved, and also a lunatic thing to believe in. Because how would the game *know* what you want and don't want? Sure, you could argue that it will give you more of what you already have a lot of, but what if that's what you want? Does the game read my mind and know that I'm not going to use those catalysts? Does it calculate that it is unlikely I will want even more of them to do a rank up? There's no good reason for the game to even want to do this, much less trying to figure out what sort of rules the game would follow to try to figure this out in the first place. Needless to say, anyone who believes this is, in my opinion, completely nuts.

I very much second all of this, but want to reiterate the last paragraph. I’ve seen plenty of people in not just champion crystal pulls but also class-based crystals and a variety of other things. How does Kabam know what pulls are considered unfavorable to be able to rig crystal pulls? Why would they care?

As an example, some of my most wanted pulls from this featured have been SW and Starlord (judge me all you want) and I have pulled and duped both of them so far, as well as OG Thor. Just because you aren’t getting the champs that you want doesn’t mean Kabam is somehow unfairly making that happen. I’ve also gotten my Man-thing from sig 100 to max sig in my first 16 crystals. Just cause I pulled him a lot doesn’t prove bias in crystals.

I still think Kabam needs to contract out DNA to do a “Video Game Statistics” series that I can just paste every time someone asks these questions.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,019 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Groot x1
    HB x2
    Negative x1
    Racoon x2
    Manthing x2
    Titania x1
    Galan x3
    Starlord x1
    Wiccan x1
    X23 x1

Community standards says you're not allowed to pull Galan 3 times as it makes their argument of rigged RNG invalid.
    Whoops.

Also, I pulled Titania, then awakened her, then added sigs to her, then added sigs again to her, then immediately ranked her up and used her against EoP Terrax because I heard she was good for that fight. This has to be the worst failure of crystal rigging Kabam has ever implemented.
    There's only one explanation.......you manipulated the Patent.
  • KerneasKerneas Posts: 3,739 ★★★★★
    The chance is the same for each champ. The more you open, the more equal amounts of all champs you have. And the fewer crystals you open, the more unfair it seems.

For illustration I will share my 5 pulls:

Winter Soldier (2x)
    Groot
    Star-Lord
    Mister-Negative

Seems rigged in favor of bad old champs right? Now check the pulls of other people here and you'll see that slowly the amounts of pulled champs are becoming closer and more or less even, depending on how many crystals they have opened.

Lastly, the RNG is same no matter whether you pop or spin, open 1 or 10 at a time.
  • SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Posts: 4,215 ★★★★★

Im 24 in.
    QS 1 new
    Titania 1 new
    Rocket 1 new
    Miles 1 new
    SWitch 1 new
    Rogue 3
    X23 3
    SL 3
    Groot 3 new
    Thor 3
    Warmaxhine 1
    Professor 2
    Manthing 1

Only 4 Champs I'm looking for, all new.
    Galan gorr negs maw

Add two more.

DNA3000 said:

16 of 44 are featured champs, which is somewhat higher than average (statistically speaking you'd expect 11 on average). This doesn't prove the crystal is biased towards featured champs (given the margin for error with this sample size this would be a very low confidence result) but it does more strongly suggest the crystal is not biased away from featured champs (if we expect 11 and we actually get 16, that's moderately higher than expected, but if someone believes the crystal is biased away from featured champs and actually expects something like 8 or 5 to show up, then 16 would be far less likely to happen if that were true).

I was initially missing ten of the twenty four champs in the crystal. Statistically speaking I would expect to get between seven and eight of those ten after 44 crystals. I got seven. That's basically what I would expect, and there's no evidence the crystal was deliberately trying to avoid giving me what I was missing.

Is the crystal weighted towards the bottom of the barrel champs? Well, I think most would assert those were Rocket, Groot, Winder Soldier, and Star Lord. That's four out of 24 or one in 6. I would expect to pull about seven of those out of 44 openings. I actually pulled six. That's basically what I would expect, with no evidence of them coming out a lot more frequently than statistically likely.

Now, which champ did I want the most out of this crystal? Actually, with all the great champs in here, the one I was hunting for the most was actually Scarlet Witch Classic. As I have yet to pull her I guess that's some slight statistical evidence that Kabam has managed to implement mind reading in the crystal technology. But as this only has 6.5 to one odds against, its not super strong evidence for computational telepathy yet.

Fascinating. I suspected this was the case but always good to see data, thanks! Sounds like this is a science (RNG) vs faith (RNGesus) question lol.
  • Dude17 said:

Fascinating. I suspected this was the case but always good to see data, thanks! Sounds like this is a science (RNG) vs faith (RNGesus) question lol.

Human beings' brains did not evolve to comprehend probability. Lions do not roll 2d10 to decide whether to eat you. Human brains evolved to understand cause and effect, patterns and backgrounds. If you stick your hand into the fire and it hurts, you don't try to figure out if it only hurts sometimes. When your buddy gets eaten by a lion, you don't wonder about the odds of the next lion eating you. You avoid all lions.

People are bad at statistics because it requires being good at four things people are bad at. It requires setting aside biases when observing the world. It requires keeping track of small details. It requires abstract thinking. And it requires rigorous analysis. All four things would get our caveman ancestors killed. But all four things are necessary to be able to say anything about the way statistics works in the world.

Most people honestly hook their feet right into the starting gate and decapitate themselves at the start of the race as it swings open. Which is: what is random(ness)? When asking "are the crystals random" most people cant' even define what that question means in a practical way, which is why you'll see people say things like "computers can't really choose random numbers so the crystals aren't really random." This sentence is true only in an impractical academic setting that most people are unqualified to participate in.

The crystals are random enough because they satisfy the colloquially reasonable definition of randomness: the crystal drops cannot be predicted ahead of time by the players, they exhibit no observable statistically significant pattern, and they are not correlated with each other in any way. Basically, you can watch crystals open one after the other until the game shuts down, and you will not be able to either predict the next crystal nor state that any one particular outcome is more likely than any other.

That's all we need for random crystals. Can't predict. No one outcome is more likely than the other. And watching no reasonable sequence of any number of openings helps you find any pattern in the drops. The same randomness we see in slot machines in Vegas that underlie billions of dollars of transactions a year.
  • TrapKill66TrapKill66 Posts: 96

Dude17 said:

I know that we have a 100% chance to pull a 6* champ in a Featured crystal but are probabilities weighted by champ? eg. newly released champs vs other champs in the crystal.

1) I’m assuming not or it would need to be specified in the drop rates, yes?
    2) Also curious how the RNG algorithm works, ie. is it affected by pop/spin method, bulk openings, current progression title, spending habits, alliance prestige, current roster, etc? Or is it literally a random number generator based on no additional data points? There’s so many possibilities, so am genuinely interested, thx.

Featured crystal has equal drop rates for all champs. Kabam only has to publish drop rates for crystals you can buy with real money. Featured 6*'s aren't available in that manner. And before anyone says anything about the 6* featured from C.W, you were buying the units and the 6* featured was a bonus item.

Nothing affects the drop rates. Spinning a crystal doesn't matter as I'm the reel is for entertainment or agony only. Your champ is decided the second you click on it to stop spinning or it stops on its own.

Each crystal is independent of others and the previous pull has no bearing on the next.
    For you smart people disagreeing with this, tell me what's to disagree about? Don't be a scared little anonymous disagree troll.
    Exactly, you nailed it as far as I'm concerned. Easy to click button, not so easy to prove or disprove a point in a way that coherent humans can agree with or respect.
    :)
  • DemonicStalkerDemonicStalker Posts: 303 ★★
    My 25 pulls

AA x2
    WS x2
    Thor x2
    WM x1
    RR x2
    X23 x2
    Groot x2
    Mr Neg x5
    Gorr x3