**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Kabam Math Changes Math Re: Angry Girl

DeaconDeacon Posts: 4,060 ★★★★★
edited December 2022 in General Discussion
So here I am pumping stones into Angry Girl and I tap out at 120 where she needs 2.08 buffs for the unstoppable and stun immunity ... and in the fine print it says (rounded up) ... cool no problem .. it's been a while since I did math but I still remember If you're rounding to a whole number, decimals from 0.1 to 0.4 round down and decimals from 0.5 to 0.9 round up. i should be safe at needing just 2 buffs because you can't round up from 2.08 .. i can work with that.

Go in for some testing and POW to the face from Juggernaut with 2 pierce buffs .. I go back to check the numbers .. yep 2.08 so math is math is all forms right??? LOL nope. Angry Girl still needs 3 buffs with a sig that says 2.08. Kabam Math.

Go back say to myself .. ok maybe the 8 is making the game think it's actually 2.8 instead of 2.08 so I scrounge up five more stones to get it needing 2.01 ... go back in to test ... SMACK lol .. even 2.01 is rounded up to 3 for some strange reason.

Surely this is a bug?? Or should I just settle in on it being Kabam Math?
Post edited by Kabam Jax on

Comments

• DeaconDeacon Posts: 4,060 ★★★★★
    Pikolu said:

When you round up, you round to the higher number. So 2.000000000001 rounded up is still 3.

This is not to be confused with rounding down which 2.9 would be 2

Nor should it be confused with normal rounding which is 2-2.5 goes to 2 and 2.5-3 goes to 3.

The math is fine, it is known as a ceiling round and a floor round in the math world.

so Kabam Math then eh? no worries. i can almost guarantee you that NO ONE reads that sig and says to themselves oh this must be the ceiling and floor method LOL

To round a number look at the next digit in the right place, if the digit is less than 5, round down and if the digit is 5 or more than 5, round up. That's pretty much math ... since like math was a thing.

So you read "rounded up" and then think to yourself, "Surely this means rounded down?"? Kabam is not the problem here.

Rounding can be done both up and down.

No I read rounded up and just remembered what my teachers taught me when it comes to rounding up that's all. It's not that serious though lol ... it's Kabam Math .. got it ... not math, math. Just another one of the game's reminders when you think you know, you actually don't lol.

No worries .. I'll sig her up some more to get to 2 buffs.

• Saru2244Saru2244 Posts: 181
    A lot has already been said about the math topic and I'm not really competent enough to make a reasonable contribution to any math topic. :D

However, I see a problem with the way the sig is configured. You have to invest a lot of Sig stones to get from 3 to under 2, for example. Especially 6 * Sig - Stones are rare and it takes time to collect them and in all that time the Sig - ability is not doing anything. You pump in stone by stone and in the end it doesn't matter whether you're at 2.9 or 2.1, although you've used several dozen Sig stones in the meantime. Overall, it could have been done better. An invested Sig stone has to pay off somehow.

• K00shMaanK00shMaan Posts: 1,289 ★★★★
    Saru2244 said:

A lot has already been said about the math topic and I'm not really competent enough to make a reasonable contribution to any math topic. :D

However, I see a problem with the way the sig is configured. You have to invest a lot of Sig stones to get from 3 to under 2, for example. Especially 6 * Sig - Stones are rare and it takes time to collect them and in all that time the Sig - ability is not doing anything. You pump in stone by stone and in the end it doesn't matter whether you're at 2.9 or 2.1, although you've used several dozen Sig stones in the meantime. Overall, it could have been done better. An invested Sig stone has to pay off somehow.

She's not the first champ to work like that though. Red Guardian, Knull, Kingpin, Galan, and Angela to a lesser extent I believe all have similar mechanics in their Sig Ability. Probably more too.
  • AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    Valk
  • Malreck04Malreck04 Posts: 3,323 ★★★★★
    edited December 2022

I sort of get what your saying about the confusion, although thats definitely not how i read it. Sounds like you thought of "round up" as "go ahead and round those numbers", like fix em up.

What
  • KerneasKerneas Posts: 3,738 ★★★★★
    Round up = take the next higher whole number. 2.08 -> 3

Round down = take the previous whole number
    2.08 -> 2

KaBaM MaTh RigHt??
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,976 ★★★★★

Doesn't AuntM.Ai demonstrate sigs well?

thats not the problem
    OP just thought 2.08 would mean it would be rounded to 2 not 3
    but since it says rounded UP its 3 and OP cant seem to accept that thats how math works and its not something kabam invented.
    No, I get that. OP also said they stopped at sig 120 but if they went to 129, it would be down to 2 buffs only. That is, if I'm understanding her sig. I don't have her or anything so I am assuming that's how it works.
  • Graves_3Graves_3 Posts: 1,301 ★★★★★

thats not the problem
    but since it says rounded UP its 3 and OP cant seem to accept that thats how math works and its not something kabam invented.
    No, I get that. OP also said they stopped at sig 120 but if they went to 129, it would be down to 2 buffs only. That is, if I'm understanding her sig. I don't have her or anything so I am assuming that's how it works.
    Sig 126 gives her unstoppable immunity at exactly 2 buffs. That’s kind of the sweet spot if you don’t plan to take her to sig 200 right away.
    Kerneas said:

2.08 -> 2

KaBaM MaTh RigHt??

listen .. and I apologize for taking the bait but you guys really can't be serious about rounding up when it comes to math right?

I listed CLASSROOM DEFINITIONS of what rounding up is. I hope that we all went to a proper school and were taught how to properly round up a number.

When to Round Up or Down

When rounding a number you will "round up" or "round down". When the number you are rounding is between 0-4, you round down to the next lowest number. When the number is 5-9, you round the number up to the next highest number.

Taken form simple kid math. Now granted, this is a video game and I get they're not using "math" ... but holy cow acting as if I've changed the rules that teachers have been teaching for decades upon decades when it comes to when to round a number up or not is .. mind bottling.

I'm not doubling down, tripling down .. mate really?? LOL look up the definition of when to round a number up and report back.

In this case, sure I get it .. it's not actual math and Kabam wants you to round up no matter what so cool. It's not that serious to go on about on some wild goose chase as if I said anything that was remotely not true in every single educational school in America.

Again, I get it ... whatever number it is .. round up to the next number for Angry Girl. Let's all have some cake now.
  • SummonerNRSummonerNR Posts: 10,598 Guardian
    edited December 2022
    (quote)
    When to Round Up or Down

When rounding a number you will "round up" or "round down". When the number you are rounding is between 0-4, you round down to the next lowest number. When the number is 5-9, you round the number up to the next highest number.
    (end)

The initial operation listed above “when ROUNDING a number” implies normal rounding (it just states “rounding”). And yes, in that case, it describes when it would be either rounded up or rounded down.

But there are other times when the operation is specifically ROUND UP (or ROUND DOWN). Which in other words is basically the same as TRUNCATING (in case of Round Down), or it's upward equivalent of Truncation for Round Up.
    Those are not as widely referred to, and definitely the Round Down (aka Truncate) you would see more often than situations that say Round Up.

*although “ROUND UP” is actually popular usage when you buy something at a store, and the register asks if you want to “Round Up” to the next dollar. So you don’t have to deal with coins (just paper bills), and have the excess donated to charity.
    TyEdge said:

Kerneas said:

2.08 -> 2

KaBaM MaTh RigHt??

listen .. and I apologize for taking the bait but you guys really can't be serious about rounding up when it comes to math right?

I listed CLASSROOM DEFINITIONS of what rounding up is. I hope that we all went to a proper school and were taught how to properly round up a number.

When to Round Up or Down

Taken form simple kid math. Now granted, this is a video game and I get they're not using "math" ... but holy cow acting as if I've changed the rules that teachers have been teaching for decades upon decades when it comes to when to round a number up or not is .. mind bottling.

I'm not doubling down, tripling down .. mate really?? LOL look up the definition of when to round a number up and report back.

In this case, sure I get it .. it's not actual math and Kabam wants you to round up no matter what so cool. It's not that serious to go on about on some wild goose chase as if I said anything that was remotely not true in every single educational school in America.

Again, I get it ... whatever number it is .. round up to the next number for Angry Girl. Let's all have some cake now.
    This is your fault. It’s only your fault.

It could’ve said “rounded according to what you were taught in math class.” It didn’t. It specified ROUND UP, just like kingpin specifies to round down. Why weren’t you here throwing a fit because his 2.5 rages wouldn’t become 3?
    LOL no doubt it is ... it's a very literal sig .. I sat there like ok cool rounded up .. no way you can round 2.01 up so I'm good with needing just 2 buffs .. but to your point it's very literal. You round up no matter what.

And I don't have Kingpin so I never experienced the round down thing lol wow does it really say round down?? wow. Well whenever I do get him, I'll take it literal as well.

(quote)
    When to Round Up or Down

(end)

The initial operation listed above “when ROUNDING a number” implies normal rounding (it just states “rounding”). And yes, in that case, it describes when it would be either rounded up or rounded down.

But there are other times when the operation is specifically ROUND UP (or ROUND DOWN). Which in other words is basically the same as TRUNCATING (in case of Round Down), or it's upward equivalent of Truncation for Round Up.
    Those are not as widely referred to, and definitely the Round Down (aka Truncate) you would see more often than situations that say Round Up.

*although “ROUND UP” is actually popular usage when you buy something at a store, and the register asks if you want to “Round Up” to the next dollar. So you don’t have to deal with coins (just paper bills), and have the excess donated to charity.

you're a Guardian for a reason mate. definitely agree with ya.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,976 ★★★★★
    Graves_3 said:

thats not the problem
    Sig 126 gives her unstoppable immunity at exactly 2 buffs. That’s kind of the sweet spot if you don’t plan to take her to sig 200 right away.
    I couldn't quite get my mouse over that spot. 😞 Box kept going away, but yes, OP needs more than 120 sigs to do what they were intending to do.

TyEdge said:

Kerneas said:

2.08 -> 2

KaBaM MaTh RigHt??

When to Round Up or Down

This is your fault. It’s only your fault.

It could’ve said “rounded according to what you were taught in math class.” It didn’t. It specified ROUND UP, just like kingpin specifies to round down. Why weren’t you here throwing a fit because his 2.5 rages wouldn’t become 3?
    LOL no doubt it is ... it's a very literal sig .. I sat there like ok cool rounded up .. no way you can round 2.01 up so I'm good with needing just 2 buffs .. but to your point it's very literal. You round up no matter what.

And I don't have Kingpin so I never experienced the round down thing lol wow does it really say round down?? wow. Well whenever I do get him, I'll take it literal as well.
    Brooo 😭😭😭 what do you mean 'literal'? There's only one way to take it.

Kerneas said:

2.08 -> 2

KaBaM MaTh RigHt??

When to Round Up or Down

From your own definition, rounding can be done in 2 ways if unspecified. Up and down. But when it says up why would you even think of down.

And you're wrong that "there's no way you can round up 2.09. it all depends on what is specified
    Just give a rest man ... I'm fully aware you like to troll just about anything I post. Please just block me or ignore me so that you don't see any of my content and comments. You make it a point to not have anything remotely constructive to say and I'm truly flattered that you've taken such an interest in me but there have to be hundreds of other threads or users that you can direct your energy to.
    Oh i won't lie, I find your posts fascinating to read and look forward to them. But probably not in a way you would like it to be. But rest assured , I'm not trolling. Yes i do make fun but whatever I say outside of sarcasm is genuinely trying to help you understand the issue
This discussion has been closed.