**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Let's get rid of the Pause button in Battlegrounds

thewass1980thewass1980 Posts: 151
edited January 2023 in Suggestions and Requests
This latest season of Battlegrounds has been challenging, with its combination of nodes requiring players to use champions that they might not have used in BG before. But that's not the point of my post today.

Here is my statement: I believe that Kabam should completely eliminate the Pause button during BG matches. Anyone who's been playing BG knows that this button is being misused/abused to essentially run down the clock while their attacker has full health. I can see of no legitimate reason to have a pause button in BG matches: what practical purpose, other than abusing it, does it serve? The timer doesn't pause, the other person's fight doesn't pause. And the continued misuse of this button is causing so many folks to just start the fight, pause, and get their 15,000 points for the match.

Kabam, it might be too late to change it for this season, but I strongly encourage you to remove that ability from Battlegrounds.
Post edited by Kabam Zanzibar on

Comments

• Options
    World EaterWorld Eater Posts: 3,573 ★★★★★
    edited January 2023
    Not until they correct the bug where there’s no fight timer. When there’s no fight timer, the pause menu is the only way to see how much time is in the fight.
  • Options

Not until they correct the bug where there’s no fight timer. When there’s no fight timer, the pause menu is the only way to see how much time is in the fight.

Are you running the latest MCOC version? I've never had this particular issue.
  • Options
    World EaterWorld Eater Posts: 3,573 ★★★★★
    edited January 2023

Are you running the latest MCOC version? I've never had this particular issue.
    Yea I’m running latest versions of MCOC and my devices. I’ve been reporting the no-fight-timer problem since betas, over 6 months ago, but Kabam mods/support have done a great job of ignoring it and burying Their heads in the sand.

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/305508/battlegrounds-bug-no-fight-timer/p1
  • Options
    Yodabolt21Yodabolt21 Posts: 2,534 ★★★★★

Yes get rid of it. There really is no debate to be had. Its disappointing to see how many players are ok with abusing it. I saw "Pause and get your 15k" a dozen times yesterday

The be better and get more than 15k points. I’ve won a handful of matches easily where they paused “got their 15k” and got destroyed. I look at it as an easy win when that happens.
  • Options

Yes get rid of it. There really is no debate to be had. Its disappointing to see how many players are ok with abusing it. I saw "Pause and get your 15k" a dozen times yesterday

The be better and get more than 15k points. I’ve won a handful of matches easily where they paused “got their 15k” and got destroyed. I look at it as an easy win when that happens.
    Git Gud is really your response? And you're fine with a feature that's being widely abused?
  • Options
    Giantslayer88Giantslayer88 Posts: 52
    edited January 2023
    If you are getting beat by people running out the clock, remember this is a PVP mode so your opponent is dealing with the same features you are so there’s no reason to say it isn’t fair. If you have a good defender and suspect your opponent will run out the time, you could always dash back at the start of the fight then land one hit, even into a block if it does damage, then pause yourself. Outthink your opponent who is dealing with the same feature and win by a few points, problem solved! If that sounds too risky just remember your opponent takes that risk every time they try the time out method.
  • Options
    ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
    I see all these arguments a lot lately, and I really have to wonder what fights ya doing where 15k gets a win? I think I've seen maybe 3 times in my last 100 BG fights or so (to include last season) where 15k would win the round.
  • Options
    NastyPhishNastyPhish Posts: 583 ★★★
    edited January 2023
    They should be actively discouraging clock abuse or the number one Nick fury counter is going to become pausing. Since there is a negligible point difference between actually killing him and getting him to 1% and pausing.

This type of play should be discouraged.

I think the solution is 15-30 second pauses. But after a minute into the fight. It goes away. To prevent any pause timeout shenanigans.
  • Options
    CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    As pointed out previously removing the pause button does nothing when you can get the same effect by putting the app in the background or force closing it. You’re going to need a more creative solution.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,248 ★★★★★

As pointed out previously removing the pause button does nothing when you can get the same effect by putting the app in the background or force closing it. You’re going to need a more creative solution.

I suppose you could add an automatic Forfeit if that happens.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,687 Guardian

I accidentally swipe up/down near the top of my phone all the time. If all of those became automatic forfeits, I would be somewhat perturbed.
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

I accidentally swipe up/down near the top of my phone all the time. If all of those became automatic forfeits, I would be somewhat perturbed.
    Fair. I don't mean to be so staunch on the subject, I just think something intended to account for life happening shouldn't become an easy Win for people.
  • Options
    Perhaps a timed Penalty that allows a certain amount of forgiveness, and then deducts Points.
  • Options
    It's not a total fix, but it makes it less advantageous and more risky.
  • Options
    AustinU823AustinU823 Posts: 84 ★★
    edited January 2023
    Pause button abusers will disagree heavily but I’m fully on board. It’s cowardly and on the same level as sandbagging. There’s literally zero reason to pause especially when there’s a pre-fight screen that runs down all the nodes before each fight
  • Options
    Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,919 ★★★★★
    At least add the health penalty for timing out like in every other place w/ a timer.
  • Options
    Another idea is to add a small Degen effect to being paused. Something at a rate which still allows for recovering from legitimate pausing, and things coming up, but still penalizes sitting on Pause the entire Fight.
  • Options
    AustinU823AustinU823 Posts: 84 ★★

When that happens in alliance war, it counts as a death. Same should go for BGs
  • Options
    AmaadAkiraAmaadAkira Posts: 388 ★★★
    How about no
  • Options
    NastyPhishNastyPhish Posts: 583 ★★★

Another idea is to add a small Degen effect to being paused. Something at a rate which still allows for recovering from legitimate pausing, and things coming up, but still penalizes sitting on Pause the entire Fight.

This would do it. Pause all you want. You take 1% damage per second. This hits far enough to both sides to be just about perfect
  • Options
    PlantesanPlantesan Posts: 335 ★★
    Aleor said:

How about first they implement correct time calculating? With Android device you lose 10-15 seconds of fight whole staring at loading screen
    Pause button is available to both players, nothing unfair here

Just means those abusing it are a bunch of spineless cowards…if you (those using it) can’t handle fighting, at least have the honor of taking the combo to your champ properly. Hopefully some kind of solution can be provided