Options

Relic node that punishes the player?

DarkestDestroyerDarkestDestroyer Posts: 2,875 ★★★★★
I’m just doing 2.2, and I was wondering why I went through the fight and couldn’t gain power.

I thought i saw that relics were not going to be used in a way to disadvantage the player for not having one active?

Whilst I still won the fight, I’m not saying it’s a huge issue, but this is a sign that maybe going forwards, not having a relic can be punishable, or in other words put you at a bit disadvantage

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,124 ★★★★★
  • Options

For not having a relic on the champs….that’s my point
    The 2 videos show that the node doesn't matter. I was able to do both fights without ever needing the relics. You aren't being punished. Especially in the Skill chapter.
  • Options
    PikoluPikolu Posts: 6,721 Guardian
    Black widow DO, Nick Fury, and Hit monkey don't really need to throw their specials to nuke the fight. The only champions that are disadvantaged would be like Kingpin where he has to throw his sp1 to place a DoT on the opponent. Even then, I wouldn't really use him this month since there are many better DoTers than him which benefit from the global skill node much better.
  • Options
    DarkestDestroyerDarkestDestroyer Posts: 2,875 ★★★★★

For not having a relic on the champs….that’s my point
    The 2 videos show that the node doesn't matter. I was able to do both fights without ever needing the relics. You aren't being punished. Especially in the Skill chapter.
    Yeah I said that in my first post, I did the fight regardless fine, but last month it was questioned if this was a thing to come in the future, will we be at disadvantages for not having relics on champs
  • Options

@Demonzfyre you have got them on your champs, the point is, without having a relic on the champs, you are being punished for not.

Even though it isn’t much of a punishment, you just can’t gain any power, but that’s what I thought they said, the relics wouldn’t put players who don’t have a relic, at a disadvantage, but this does to some degree.

You have to use the relic to get the benefit. In the video with OGBP, I have no relic and it took nearly the same time to take down the same fight with a R1 as it did my R4 BWDO. Both fights are less than a minute.

You aren't at a disadvantage, especially in the quest, because the other beneficial nodes for expiring debuffs increase your damage with the fury's you gain and your DOT's kill the defender quickly.
  • Options
    PikoluPikolu Posts: 6,721 Guardian

How convenient that you failed to read the -90% power gain, and then post irrelevant propaganda videos.
    Tell me you didn't watch the videos without telling me
  • Options
    King_KurisuKing_Kurisu Posts: 16

How convenient that you failed to read the -90% power gain, and then post irrelevant propaganda videos.
    It’s simple. Use champs that don’t rely on special attacks for damage.
  • Options

The whole point of both videos is to show that the -90% power gain is meaningless. I am very aware of what the node says my guy. You don't need to throw specials on that path. It truly makes no difference because your DOT effects are doing to do more damage than most specials will. Now, go play and let the adults talk.
  • Options
    JT_SupremeJT_Supreme Posts: 860 ★★★★
    Kabams pushing relics and I bet they will be even more needed to do content in the near future.
  • Options

Now, go play and let the adults talk.
    Such an arrogant and un-need comment to finish your post.

I respond in kind. If you want to engage in a proper back and forth, I'm down but if you don't watch the videos, accuse me of not reading the nodes and call my videos propaganda, I'll respond appropriately.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Now, go play and let the adults talk.
    Such an arrogant and un-need comment to finish your post.

I respond in kind. If you want to engage in a proper back and forth, I'm down but if you don't watch the videos, accuse me of not reading the nodes and call my videos propaganda, I'll respond appropriately.
    The videos you posted don't do anything to counter OPs argument though. The relics do in fact punish the player if they don't have a relic equipped, as they still get the disadvantage without gaining any advantage. If the node was only in effect if a relic was equipped, then it wouldn't punish. So regardless of it has a big impact, regardless of the others nodes helping more than this one hurts, you are still by definition at a disadvantage by not using a relic.

OP literally said that they didn't see it as a big issue, just that it's a concerning sign going forward. You came in here high and mighty posting two cherry picked fights to counter an argument that never really existed is completely pointless. You're just creating a strawman argument to try and look correct.

NF w/o relic- 48 second fight
    BWDO w/relic- 47 second fight 1 SP1 made.
    BWDO w/relic- 40 second fight 1 SP1 made.
    NF w/o relic- 52 second fight
    Jabari w/relic- 1:11 second fight 1 SP1 made.

Let me know if running the entire path is still too cherry picked. I recorded the Quake fight at the end but cute the video off before I the stats screen popped up but you'll see that it wasn't a long fight either

I don't see any difference in the fights w/relics and the fights without. I don't see any advantage or disadvantage in using them or not using them and I'd even argue that just in general, these fights are long with relics for the whole path as it since I could only manage to get 1 special off in each fight even with 100% increased spirit meter. Regardless if you use a relic or not, this path, fights take longer than the other paths period. Even If I use a special, i'm only able to use it once.

While the relic is isn't either an advantage or disadvantage, the node design is a hinderance because you aren't getting as much power period as you do in the other paths.

Full video
    https://youtu.be/34wTN4PWAng
  • Options
    PrimeSaviour_27PrimeSaviour_27 Posts: 364 ★★★

Did you ignore the node? and just not use specials?
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Did you ignore the node? and just not use specials?

See the edited comment.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,270 ★★★★★
    Stature said:

The whole point of both videos is to show that the -90% power gain is meaningless. I am very aware of what the node says my guy. You don't need to throw specials on that path. It truly makes no difference because your DOT effects are doing to do more damage than most specials will. Now, go play and let the adults talk.
    The point is not about the -90% power gain but a node designed specifically to take away some qualities and then give them back only if a relic is used. That is not how relics are supposed to be used as per the statements by the designers of the game. Relics are supposed to provide a benefit, not hold to ransom what is already available. Once a node is designed to punish the absence of a relic, there is only one direction new content design is going to take.
    That's what they provide, a benefit. They tied that benefit into a Node that was part of the challenge factor, and the point that it's doable without them isn't a moot one.
    People don't HAVE to use them. If they choose not to, they're punishing themselves when something comes along that adds a benefit to doing so.