happy pride month

124»

Comments

• MackeyMackey Member Posts: 1,597 ★★★★★

BabyMiike said:

OGAvenger said:

Kabam Jax said:

Happy Pride, everyone!

(I want everyone to be aware: we can see who dislikes posts... a lot of you have shown your true colours, and it's unfortunate they're not RAINBOW)

Thats completely fine, we don’t have to hide our views. Also we disagree with the post, not dislike. We don’t dislike the LGBT people but we disagree with their views and the agendas being pushed.
    I disagree with your straight views and agendas being pushed
    Those views and believes did give you life thou. Most lgbtq+ people could not have done that for you
    Pride has never been about being anti-Heterosexual. It was born out of protest against those that would arrest, beat, and persecute us for being ourselves. Since then it's become a symbol of love and freedom for those of us who are in the same community. It's not that polarized. We don't claim to be better or more important than Straight people. In fact, it's a testament to being equal.
    There's a difference between "Straight" views, and "Anti-LGBTQIA+ Straight" views. That isn't something we have much time for.
    No one's saying that's y'all are not equals but the fact y'all get an entire month to celebrate your "Sexuality" screams more important to me that. You say that you guys want equality which you already have but the second anyone disagrees you with you get violent.
    You're part of the problem. Please stop.
    And this is why these sorts of posts shouldn't be allowed on the forum, there is too many toxic people out there and/or trolls and inevitably it ends up taking a sour turn. It's sad, it really is.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,301 Guardian

Simply pressing disagree is not causing a stir. There are reaction buttons for a reason.

Ah, but the disagree button is there for a very specific reason. The forums exist to allow for, and actually require on the part of the participants, reasonable conversation and discourse. While some limited amount of banter and random silliness is tolerated in the spirit of friendly forum culture, every one of us is supposed to be contributing positively to the forums. That doesn't mean everyone has to agree: constructive disagreement is a positive contribution to the forums. This is not a free-fire soap box stage where everyone is free to test the absolute limits of unrestricted expression.

Before the disagree flag existed, people would spam threads with post after post with the words "I disagree" to try to shout down posts they didn't like. Imagine unpopular posts with fifty "I disagree" replies over and over again, making it impossible to see anything else. The disagree flag was added to the forums *specifically* to address this phenomenon. With the disagree flag, the mods could then declare non-stop "I disagree" posts to be spam and delete them if they took over a thread.

Disagree does nothing. It does not affect player points (although points don't mean anything either). It is not a downvote: posts with a lot of disagrees do not automatically get pushed down in the forums. Disagree is just there to allow players to vent in a way that doesn't require the mods to take action. It was always seen as a nothing-burger like the close door button in the elevator. It doesn't do anything except give people compelled to push a button something to do.

This is not just me making stuff up either. These discussions over whether to even add a disagree flag occurred publicly on the forums long ago. It is not the opposite of the agree flag, for a very specific reason. If you agree with a post, it is possible to agree with nothing else to contribute. All you can do is repeat what the poster said, which contributes nothing. Flagging a post with agree is a legitimate constructive contribution. However, flagging with disagree is not. There's only one way to agree, but there are an unlimited number of ways to disagree. Saying you disagree with a post without specifying in what way contributes nothing constructive. It gives no useful information to the poster you are flagging, and gives no useful information to anyone else except by inference. It is just a general "I don't like you or your post or both." Which is actually technically against the forum rules.

Flagging a post with disagree is basically saying I want everyone to know someone doesn't like the post, but I have no desire to actually spend time explaining why. *At best* the disagree flag is a statement that someone wants to contribute a negative sentiment in the most useless way and wants to do that anonymously.

In other words, the disagree flag is a way to funnel otherwise TOS-violating behavior into a space where no one else has to deal with it. Using the flag is obviously not a forum violation, but that doesn't mean it is legitimate discourse. It is the opposite of legitimate discourse, and the people who use it without some additional constructive feedback can be judged accordingly.
This discussion has been closed.