Here's why we should vote for the worst champs to go in the Titan Crystal

2»

Comments

• ButtehrsButtehrs Member Posts: 5,628 ★★★★★

Buttehrs said:

DNA3000 said:

Buttehrs said:

You assume only whales will get Titan crystals often. They did say dupes aren't the only way. Offers, some high level content etc will give them as well. Ftp may be able to get one every few months. Who knows still.

You think we're going to dupe 11 X 7* a month for 3 consecutive months?
    That's 3 x 7* dupes per week. Bro are you nuts? Look at how little 7* we earn as it is...
    Once upon a time T4CC was the rarest anything in the game. The only way to get it if you were not in a top tier AQ alliance was basically by selling T3C for fragments. Someone back then calculated the amount of time it would take for him to rank up a single champion at the rate he was earning them. I believe it was something like seven years. Which means he was predicting that his first rank up would be happening about now.

I can't be certain because I never followed up with that player, but I suspect that prediction turned out to be off by a bit.
    Let's make a bet. Do you think the "average Summoner" will be able to open 1 Titan crystal every 3 months within the next 12 months?
    My gut feeling is that it'll be 3 years before the average player will be able to be involved with opening Titan crystals in a meaningful way.
    12 moths from now may be a bit optimistic but 3 years is entirely far out there for any game.
    So you're saying in 2 years we might be at a place where we can open 1 x Titan every 3 months?
    Knowing kabam, somewhere between 12-18 months. For normal players that is. For whales, long before Christmas.
  • SkunkcabbageSkunkcabbage Member Posts: 211 ★★
    edited June 2023
    Emilia90 said:

Emilia90 said:

The skill poll is being dominated by Shang right now. We’re getting good champs added

I notice you said "We're getting good champs added". Inferring that you're a whale
    No I said “we” because we’ll all have access to these champs by the end of the year in the basic pool. I’m f2p
    You misspoke then.. "We" won't be opening Titan crystals, "We" will be pecking around at the crumbs in the basic pool scooping up anything that fell off the whale table.
  • Emilia90Emilia90 Member Posts: 3,380 ★★★★★

Emilia90 said:

Emilia90 said:

The skill poll is being dominated by Shang right now. We’re getting good champs added

I notice you said "We're getting good champs added". Inferring that you're a whale
    No I said “we” because we’ll all have access to these champs by the end of the year in the basic pool. I’m f2p
    You misspoke then.. "We" won't be opening Titan crystals, "We" will be pecking around at the crumbs in the basic pool scooping up the crumbs that fell off the table.
    We still get access to these champs in the basic pool though and I want some great champs in there for when I open more 7* lol. Titan shards are being added to battlegrounds later this year along with war and story content according to them.

Emilia90 said:

Emilia90 said:

You misspoke then.. "We" won't be opening Titan crystals, "We" will be pecking around at the crumbs in the basic pool scooping up the crumbs that fell off the table.
    Look if you've been around the game longer than a couple of years, then you already know how kabam rolls around here. If you want to somehow compete or slow down a whales progress, then spend alot of cold Hard cash and catch up to them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a Normal player. Just know that we're not meant to keep up with whales. Let them fight amongst themselves for the best of the best. 2nd place crumbs are still better than nothing at all.
    Buttehrs said:

Emilia90 said:

Emilia90 said:

Look if you've been around the game longer than a couple of years, then you already know how kabam rolls around here. If you want to somehow compete or slow down a whales progress, then spend alot of cold Hard cash and catch up to them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a Normal player. Just know that we're not meant to keep up with whales. Let them fight amongst themselves for the best of the best. 2nd place crumbs are still better than nothing at all.
    You're missing the whole point.. The Titan crystal is EVEN worse than the current 6* featured, which was EVEN worse than the old 5* featured.
    It blows my mind that regular players are excited about it and voting for the best champs to go into it, as if they have a chance at opening even 1 this year.

It's hilarious to me that nobody can see how God awful the concept of the Titan crystal is for the mainstream MCOC players.
    Emilia90 said:

Emilia90 said:

Emilia90 said:

We still get access to these champs in the basic pool though and I want some great champs in there for when I open more 7* lol. Titan shards are being added to battlegrounds later this year along with war and story content according to them.
    I remember when I used to have blind faith like you, ignorance is bliss. Enjoy it while you can before you get jaded and disillusioned with it all.

Buttehrs said:

Emilia90 said:

Emilia90 said:

You're missing the whole point.. The Titan crystal is EVEN worse than the current 6* featured, which was EVEN worse than the old 5* featured.
    It blows my mind that regular players are excited about it and voting for the best champs to go into it, as if they have a chance at opening even 1 this year.

It's hilarious to me that nobody can see how God awful the concept of the Titan crystal is for the mainstream MCOC players.
    Because they are essentially voting for the next round of champs added to the basic pool. That's what your not understanding. People open far more basics than featured/titan. Even if the odds go down because of a bigger pool, they'll open more of them, evening it out. The vast majority of players just want new champs. Unless your in the top tiers of aw or bgs, a new defender isn't anything different from an attacker.
    Buttehrs said:

Buttehrs said:

Emilia90 said:

Emilia90 said:

Because they are essentially voting for the next round of champs added to the basic pool. That's what your not understanding. People open far more basics than featured/titan. Even if the odds go down because of a bigger pool, they'll open more of them, evening it out. The vast majority of players just want new champs. Unless your in the top tiers of aw or bgs, a new defender isn't anything different from an attacker.
    Why did they say on the Twitch stream that certain champs may only be obtainable from a Titan crystal on Friday then? That makes no sense if they truly would push all of them into the basic pool as a matter of course.
  • RockyshockyRockyshocky Member Posts: 107 ★★

Buttehrs said:

Buttehrs said:

Emilia90 said:

Emilia90 said:

Why did they say on the Twitch stream that certain champs may only be obtainable from a Titan crystal on Friday then? That makes no sense if they truly would push all of them into the basic pool as a matter of course.
    well there's the problem. You missed the fact that the titan crystal is a sort of temporary exclusive spot for future basic additions. All champs, some months after being put in the titan crystal, will be removed from the titan and added to the basic. The titan crystal is basically a honeymoon phase for new 7*s.
  • Noob_Master69Noob_Master69 Member Posts: 689 ★★★★

Buttehrs said:

Buttehrs said:

Emilia90 said:

Emilia90 said:

All I remember them saying is that some champs might go straight into the basic and skip the Titan crystal, nothing was said about them never being put into the basic
  • captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 8,172 ★★★★★
    Fbi wants to know you location
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Member Posts: 7,421 ★★★★★

I'm going to be voting for Longshot to go into the Titan pool and I suggest you consider doing the same too.

1) Regular players will only open one of these every 2 years, it isn't made for us.

2) Adding the worst champs into the pool will give more balance between whale progress and FTP.

3) The champs you vote for will be the same champs you'll be facing up against in BGs in the whales roster - you AREN'T going to be pulling hardly anything from these.

Hopefully this post helps. Kabam's community vote for the Titan pool is like asking us to vote which cars we're gonna be drag racing against. Pick the Miata and give yourself a better chance against the whales! (We need all the help we can get!)

LOL, your D-bag Plan changes nothing, dude. Even if it worked (and I highly doubt it will), by the time most of us open a Titan crystal, Longshot will have cycled into the basic crystal.

And why would I be upset by pulling a 7s LS? He's great and would slap as a 7s.
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Member Posts: 7,421 ★★★★★
    Emilia90 said:

Most players are smart and make smart decisions.

Most. Not all.
    Kabam Jax said:

I don't recall saying that.
    You didn't say it, it was your guest.
  • pseudosanepseudosane Member, Guardian Posts: 3,949 Guardian
    This logic is awful.
    as of right now, less than 100 people can open even one titan crystal.
    All champs included are awesome.
    You'll never catch up to a whale... ever.
  • MackeyMackey Member Posts: 1,597 ★★★★★
    Am I the only one who read this post in a sarcastic manner 🤔😂.. not sure if it was meant that way but its how I took it
    Kabam Jax said:

Kabam Jax said:

Kabam Jax said:

I don't think he did.
    I just watched back most of the stream (including having to see way too much of your legs) 🤣
    It was Kabam John? and he said there will be 6 exclusive champs in the Titan crystal - the stream crashed for me at that point (it crashed maybe 3 times for me), so it cut off the rest of what he was saying after about some Legend event in August?

So you're correct you didn't say that, it was a technical issue that created distortion to your message and cut off at the worst time for me, so apologies for that (and thanks for highlighting the error).
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,397 Guardian

DNA3000 said:

Buttehrs said:

You assume only whales will get Titan crystals often. They did say dupes aren't the only way. Offers, some high level content etc will give them as well. Ftp may be able to get one every few months. Who knows still.

You think we're going to dupe 11 X 7* a month for 3 consecutive months?
    That's 3 x 7* dupes per week. Bro are you nuts? Look at how little 7* we earn as it is...
    Once upon a time T4CC was the rarest anything in the game. The only way to get it if you were not in a top tier AQ alliance was basically by selling T3C for fragments. Someone back then calculated the amount of time it would take for him to rank up a single champion at the rate he was earning them. I believe it was something like seven years. Which means he was predicting that his first rank up would be happening about now.

I can't be certain because I never followed up with that player, but I suspect that prediction turned out to be off by a bit.
    Let's make a bet. Do you think the "average Summoner" will be able to open 1 Titan crystal every 3 months within the next 12 months?
    My gut feeling is that it'll be 3 years before the average player will be able to be involved with opening Titan crystals in a meaningful way.
    The average player has yet to open a single 7* crystal yet. So probably not.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,397 Guardian

Buttehrs said:

Emilia90 said:

Emilia90 said:

That's interesting, because I think it is somewhat amusing that people who complain about the Titan crystal don't actually know what its purpose even is.

Its purpose is to reduce the rate at which the value of 7* champs is degraded by both volume and targeting ability. People think 7* champs come out when 6* champs reach their peak, but that's actually missing the forest for the trees. When 6* champs were first introduced, they were introduced to replace the top tier pursuit item in the game, because 5* champs were too easy to get and too easy to target for them to be a meaningful pursuit goal. From the instant 6* champs were introduced, their availability rose steadily, as all things do, to give a sense of progress to the game economy and to add some deflation to the long term value of those champs to prevent veteran lock-in.

However, because both basic crystals and featured crystals are purchased with the same currency, the same 6* shards that allowed the average player to pick up a lot of basics were allowing higher tier players to target a *ton* of featureds, and those featureds have a far higher statistical chance to target desired champs. Players were regularly getting most or all of the newly released champs using featured crystals. This *instantly* reduced the vallue of new 6* champs as pursuit goals. If someone like me can get most of them just through regular play, what's the point in the whales spending to chase them?

Because of this value erosion, the devs probably had to accelerate higher rank availability to compensate. And that's ultimately what forced the devs to introduce 7* champs. 6* champs had run out of availability, targeting, and rank options. Something new had to replace them. If the devs replaced 6* champs with 7* champs using the same structure, they'd run out of life just as fast or even faster. Separating basic crystals, which are about availability and titan crystals, which are about targeting and pursuing the latest champs, gives 7* champs more lifetime.

The longer a rarity sticks around, the smaller the overall gap is between the top tier players and the average player, because the availability curve has longer to mature. To put it in ELI5 terms, when everyone has ten, the whales having the five newest ones is very significant. When everyone has fifty, the whales having the five newest is far less significant. The whales get more, they get the best, and they get them sooner. But they can only get so much more because the number of champs is finite, they can only get the best of what exists they can't get more than the best, and they can't get them any sooner than they get them now. So the longer average players have to catch up, the more they get to close the gap with the whales who are stuck at the top with nowhere to go.

I'm not sure it is hilarious that many lower tier players think the very mechanisms in the game to allow them to keep up with the top tier players are the ones that mistreat them the most, but it is one of those ironies that make life as a game economy designer a lot more interesting than it might otherwise need to be.
  • klobberintymeklobberintyme Member Posts: 1,539 ★★★★
    I just want to vote for "Boaty McBoatface."
  • ThatGuyYouSaw235ThatGuyYouSaw235 Member Posts: 3,269 ★★★★★

Kabam Jax said:

Kabam Jax said:

Kabam Jax said:

I don't think he did.
    I just watched back most of the stream (including having to see way too much of your legs) 🤣
    It was Kabam John? and he said there will be 6 exclusive champs in the Titan crystal - the stream crashed for me at that point (it crashed maybe 3 times for me), so it cut off the rest of what he was saying after about some Legend event in August?

So you're correct you didn't say that, it was a technical issue that created distortion to your message and cut off at the worst time for me, so apologies for that (and thanks for highlighting the error).
    bro cannot gaslight

Kabam Jax said:

Kabam Jax said:

Kabam Jax said:

I don't think he did.

bro cannot gaslight
    I'm literally explaining what happened, you think I'm trying to gaslight? Bruh...
    DNA3000 said:

Buttehrs said:

Emilia90 said:

Emilia90 said:

That's interesting, because I think it is somewhat amusing that people who complain about the Titan crystal don't actually know what its purpose even is.

Its purpose is to reduce the rate at which the value of 7* champs is degraded by both volume and targeting ability. People think 7* champs come out when 6* champs reach their peak, but that's actually missing the forest for the trees. When 6* champs were first introduced, they were introduced to replace the top tier pursuit item in the game, because 5* champs were too easy to get and too easy to target for them to be a meaningful pursuit goal. From the instant 6* champs were introduced, their availability rose steadily, as all things do, to give a sense of progress to the game economy and to add some deflation to the long term value of those champs to prevent veteran lock-in.

However, because both basic crystals and featured crystals are purchased with the same currency, the same 6* shards that allowed the average player to pick up a lot of basics were allowing higher tier players to target a *ton* of featureds, and those featureds have a far higher statistical chance to target desired champs. Players were regularly getting most or all of the newly released champs using featured crystals. This *instantly* reduced the vallue of new 6* champs as pursuit goals. If someone like me can get most of them just through regular play, what's the point in the whales spending to chase them?

Because of this value erosion, the devs probably had to accelerate higher rank availability to compensate. And that's ultimately what forced the devs to introduce 7* champs. 6* champs had run out of availability, targeting, and rank options. Something new had to replace them. If the devs replaced 6* champs with 7* champs using the same structure, they'd run out of life just as fast or even faster. Separating basic crystals, which are about availability and titan crystals, which are about targeting and pursuing the latest champs, gives 7* champs more lifetime.

The longer a rarity sticks around, the smaller the overall gap is between the top tier players and the average player, because the availability curve has longer to mature. To put it in ELI5 terms, when everyone has ten, the whales having the five newest ones is very significant. When everyone has fifty, the whales having the five newest is far less significant. The whales get more, they get the best, and they get them sooner. But they can only get so much more because the number of champs is finite, they can only get the best of what exists they can't get more than the best, and they can't get them any sooner than they get them now. So the longer average players have to catch up, the more they get to close the gap with the whales who are stuck at the top with nowhere to go.

I'm not sure it is hilarious that many lower tier players think the very mechanisms in the game to allow them to keep up with the top tier players are the ones that mistreat them the most, but it is one of those ironies that make life as a game economy designer a lot more interesting than it might otherwise need to be.
    The "problem" of players instantly getting new 6* champs happened how many years after 6* entered the game - like 6 years ago? It's only really been the last year that people have been opening a ton of featured (and the BG store has a lot to answer for with 12 X 6* champs easily achievable a month from there alone).

• IiIooIiIIiIooIiI Member Posts: 13
    This is not a good or bad idea, it’s pointless.

First whales keep Kabam staffed employees, keeping the game alive for all of us. If you are free to play, why do you think you should keep up with people who do pay?

You keep mentioning “average players” what does that mean to you?

Why do you need to keep up with anyone. It’s a game about individual development (and alliance).

You act like you already know Kabams plans for titan crystals, and they are not even out. You don’t. They will become more and more popular (even to F2P) as time goes. The next big thing will be 7r3 resources, and I am sure the flood gates of complaining will open up then too.
  • HungaryHippoHungaryHippo Member Posts: 912 ★★★★
    IiIooIiI said:

This is not a good or bad idea, it’s pointless.

First whales keep Kabam staffed employees, keeping the game alive for all of us. If you are free to play, why do you think you should keep up with people who do pay?

You keep mentioning “average players” what does that mean to you?

Why do you need to keep up with anyone. It’s a game about individual development (and alliance).

You act like you already know Kabams plans for titan crystals, and they are not even out. You don’t. They will become more and more popular (even to F2P) as time goes. The next big thing will be 7r3 resources, and I am sure the flood gates of complaining will open up then too.

F2P players (I was one for many years) who have the nerve to mock the whales AND whine about the game just blow my mind.

Thank you Kabam for how much value you give to people who pay nothing for it.
  • NeoDazarasNeoDazaras Member Posts: 118
    @Skunkcabbage I'm sorry that people are missing the point of your post. If it's anything that MCOC players hate more than Kabam, it's a free thinker.

Some men don't want a 7* Shang Chi or a Rank 5 Herc. Some people just want to watch the world burn...