**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Stop Intentionally Lagging The Game

KennadoKennado Posts: 991 ★★★
I can live with wonky AI. You don’t need to intentionally throttle the game with lag spikes in fights to encourage spending money on items, on top of that. That’s borderline criminal if you ask me.

An iPhone 14 max pro shouldn’t have lag issues yet Kabam continues to lie to us that these lag issues aren’t intentional.

Comments

• Options
    DRTODRTO Posts: 1,620 ★★★★★
    Game works perfectly fine on my 2020 SE :D
  • Options

Ironic that you posted this twice. Laggy internet?

Hahaha, That was frustration from lag death. I havent had a single clean run in lvl 5 side quest. All of it due to being rooted for about 3 seconds before the spirit charges in randomly, even though I'm swiping back. I've done at least 13 runs and this happens multiple times per run.
  • Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,053 ★★★★★

Kennado said:

I can live with wonky AI. You don’t need to intentionally throttle the game with lag spikes in fights to encourage spending money on items, on top of that. That’s borderline criminal if you ask me.

An iPhone 14 max pro shouldn’t have lag issues yet Kabam continues to lie to us that these lag issues aren’t intentional.

Wouldn't say it's "intentional" but the memory leak has been growing exponentially every release in my experience. I'm on an android so i can immediately clear the cache which balloons up 1.6 gbs almost instantly now and causes stuttering/freezing. For ios you should have a cache cleaner app handy, it helps.
    For those unfamiliar with memory leak, it's when an app incorrectly manages memory allocations and doesn't release it, causing the slowdown of all apps.
    Which Android device do you use?
  • Options
    obsidimanobsidiman Posts: 709 ★★★
    I'm not against your views. I'm not with your views. I'm merely curious. What evidence do you have that shows Kabam is causing this intentionally? And if they are, do you feel they are targeting you specifically as others in this thread have not experienced the same?
  • Options
    Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,185 ★★★★★
    Your tinfoil hat is too tight, apparently.
  • Options
    DeaconDeacon Posts: 4,068 ★★★★★
    No lag spikes on my 14 Pro Max ... BUT i have plenty .. and I mean PLENTY of random input drops, fails, random dashing back ... lots of these to share.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,254 ★★★★★
    No one is intentionally lagging the game.
  • Options

No lag spikes on my 14 Pro Max ... BUT i have plenty .. and I mean PLENTY of random input drops, fails, random dashing back ... lots of these to share.

Same here. All of that. It’s not my connection despite what others claim. Other games from Playtika, Gameloft, and others work & perform perfectly fine. This is literally the only game that does this for me. Only one.

• Options
    Pikolu said:

Kennado said:

Kennado said:

Wouldn't say it's "intentional" but the memory leak has been growing exponentially every release in my experience. I'm on an android so i can immediately clear the cache which balloons up 1.6 gbs almost instantly now and causes stuttering/freezing. For ios you should have a cache cleaner app handy, it helps.
    For those unfamiliar with memory leak, it's when an app incorrectly manages memory allocations and doesn't release it, causing the slowdown of all apps.
    This is insightful and I’d put more stock in it if all of my apps slowed down but they don’t. In fact, I’m playing high res games from other companies and they play beautifully. So if memory leak was the issue, it’s exclusive to just MCOC on my device. Just saying.

• Options
    Giantwalrus56Giantwalrus56 Posts: 633 ★★★
    edited June 2023
    OP you caught me. It's was me the whole time. I singled you out by putting on a blindfold while sticking out my finger & spinning in a circle. I happen to stop on your account. I promise I'll stop...

• Options

Kennado said:

Same here. All of that. It’s not my connection despite what others claim. Other games from Playtika, Gameloft, and others work & perform perfectly fine. This is literally the only game that does this for me. Only one.

Kabam hate you. You obviously don't spend enough money. Spend more, lag less.
    .........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Insighful. Gameloft is just better at this mobile video game stuff.
  • Options
    TheExit27TheExit27 Posts: 674 ★★★

Kennado said:

Woah woah woah… is there an app I can use to flush out this lag issue. I get 2-3 in-fight lags per fight. I have an iPhone XR and I’d LOVE to get rid of those lags.
    So 1) is there a way for me to get rid of the lags?
    And 2) if it’s an app that can alleviate this issue, does it go against TOS?

I appreciate any real advice to this issue. Thanks.
  • Options
    klobberintymeklobberintyme Posts: 1,429 ★★★★

Kennado said:

Samsung galaxy s21 5g, samsung galaxy s9, samsung galaxy s8. Soon to be adding s23. I have several accounts and don't like having to log off and switch accounts.
  • Options
    klobberintymeklobberintyme Posts: 1,429 ★★★★
    edited June 2023
    TheExit27 said:

Kennado said:

Woah woah woah… is there an app I can use to flush out this lag issue. I get 2-3 in-fight lags per fight. I have an iPhone XR and I’d LOVE to get rid of those lags.

Here's the cache cleaner widget i use

For ios just go to the apple store and search cache cleaner. Clearing your cache has nothing to do with modifying the game, it's just freeing up memory the game and other apps are using that slows everything.

For clarification baseline for this phone is 3.2 gb. I just opened the game and it's 3.9 and balloons to 4.8gb after a few fights. Not great.
  • Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,053 ★★★★★

Kennado said:

Samsung galaxy s21 5g, samsung galaxy s9, samsung galaxy s8. Soon to be adding s23. I have several accounts and don't like having to log off and switch accounts.
    I use a Pixel 6 Pro and don't have any lag issues. I'll have sync issues in BGs if I try to play in my office at work but I only get LTE coverage there and our company wifi is slow and they firewall everything.
  • Options
    SkyeBerrySkyeBerry Posts: 90

Kennado said:

Kennado said:

Kabam hate you. You obviously don't spend enough money. Spend more, lag less.
    .........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Insighful. Gameloft is just better at this mobile video game stuff.
    Nah, it's totally just you.
    For real I've spent $0 ever. I get the occasional lag spike from server issues, but it's rare, and at worst is like a once every week thing
  • Options
    TheExit27TheExit27 Posts: 674 ★★★

TheExit27 said:

Kennado said:

Here's the cache cleaner widget i use

For ios just go to the apple store and search cache cleaner. Clearing your cache has nothing to do with modifying the game, it's just freeing up memory the game and other apps are using that slows everything.

For clarification baseline for this phone is 3.2 gb. I just opened the game and it's 3.9 and balloons to 4.8gb after a few fights. Not great.
    I downloaded the best I could find out of the bunch of apps, but it mostly concentrated on contacts, photos/videos, safari browsers and apps I don’t use anymore. It didn’t fix my situation really, but I DID get 2gb back on my phone… mostly contacts, because I regularly transfer my photos/videos to a hard drive and don’t really use my safari that often on my phone. Thank you though… I’m glad it works for you.

Perhaps uninstalling and reinstalling the app each month will work? Idk. Anyone else have any ideas? I understand this isn’t Kabam’s fault, but I’m willing to try to fix this issue at least occasionally on my end and would like to know all avenues available to me. Thanks again @klobberintyme
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,687 Guardian

Kennado said:

If it was a genuine memory leak you wouldn't be able to clear cache to remove it.

This would take a very long time to explain, as it involves how memory is managed on mobile devices (and things are slightly different on iPhone and Android on top of this) but the game did have a pretty bad memory leak a couple years back, and most of them were fixed last year. I was one of the heavy testers characterizing and reporting those issues to Kabam.

A memory leak is when the game allocates memory for something, and then when it no longer needs that stuff it forgets to free the memory. The way this happens is all memory is referenced with pointers or handles to that memory. Sometimes a bug will cause a program to throw away the handle to the memory because the memory is no longer needed, but fails to first free up the memory it is pointing to. It is like throwing away the key to a safety deposit box you're using because you think you don't need it anymore. You can't open it every again, and you also forget you're still paying rent for it so the post office can't use it for anyone else. That box is "gone."

When that happens, the memory that the game lost track of can't be freed by the game anymore, and it can't be freed by the phone because the game hasn't said it is done with it. So eventually you use up too much memory and run into problems.

What you're seeing is a different issue. I'm more familiar with iOS but I think its similar on Android. When an app uses memory and then stops needing it, that memory isn't "returned" to the operating system. It is kept around to be reused by the app when it needs more memory. Sort of like memory recycling. For complex technical reasons it is possible for an app to ask for memory, use it, then put it into the pile to be reused, but then ask for new memory instead of reusing the old memory. Not often, but occasionally, and this means the amount of memory the app is using slowly rises.

The memory "cleaners" aren't actually freeing that memory. Instead they are doing something more complicated, and the simplest way I can explain it is that the OS "asks" the app if they really need all that memory *now* or if it is safe to take some of that memory and temporarily swap it out and use it for something else. The app is then supposed to decide what it needs right away and what it might not need for a while. Apps don't do this in real time for performance reasons, so it only happens when these things are requested.

Switching to a cleaner and running it can reduce the memory footprint of MCOC. However, especially on iOS, it can also cause MCOC to restart completely. That's because if you force MCOC to swap resources out to free that memory and then immediately go back to playing the game, if the game was in certain states when that was performed rather than try to regain access to everything again the game will just decide it is better to restart and reload everything.

I am simplifying this almost to the point of being gibberish, but the bottom line is that I haven't seen real memory leaks affecting game stability in a while, but there might be more work that needs to be done to improve memory management overall. Using things designed to "optimize" memory might improve things temporarily, but they can also cause the game to just restart, which players can also just do themselves. I also don't play on Android, so I can't speak to what the experience on those platforms has been like recently.
  • Options
    FurrymoosenFurrymoosen Posts: 2,225 ★★★★★
    7714dtl said:

Alot of people assuming that if there gaming experience is good then other people must be making stuff up. Must be nice to have the world revolving around you.

People post videos all the time of lag and other stuff. Stop assuming that just because you have a magic version of the game that doesn't experience problems doesn't mean others of us don't have to spend entirely to much time staring at the spinning wheel or game freezes.

Why is that the only option for an assumption? I’m not assuming people are making anything up, I am assuming that they have a different circumstance for how they connect, such as I stated in my comment above. Why are the servers only ever Kabam’s fault and it can never be possible that someone’s internet connection is causing part of the problem? Why does that get to be a valid assumption, but any notion of individual responsibility can never be true?