Options

I Quit - My Story and Message To The Community

ItsyaboyStephy05ItsyaboyStephy05 Posts: 128 ★★
edited June 2023 in General Discussion
Hi, my name is Steve, or as I’m better known, Roxas. I’m 17 years old and have been playing this game for the better part of 7 years, almost half my life. Time flies when I say it like that.

I know many of these “I quit” posts come and go, but I actually have something worthwhile to talk about. For the last few months, I have been playing Battlegrounds religiously, pushing for the top spots in Gladiator Circuit. Along the way, I have encountered several players who have accused me of cheating, using third party software and such. It reached such extremes that even high profile YouTubers started calling me out publicly. I wont lie, it got a bit scary, seeing all the hate thrown my way, when I knew I hadn’t done anything wrong. I can’t play a match of Battlegrounds without seeing a Loki emote thrown my way. I’m no softie, but this was getting to such extremes that I was genuinely scared my account would suffer due to the ever increasing defamation. 

I ended up contacting support, asking them a simple question. Will my account be penalized simply because of accusations? Their answer was reassuring and straightforward. They stated that as long as I hadn’t broken any ToS, I would be fine. That obviously makes sense but sometimes you just have to hear it from someone.

This support ticket was sent back in December, 2022. Since then, the belittling has gotten worse, seeing Line screenshots of people saying the most vulgar of things about me from people in the community I held in high regard. Still, it didn’t bother me as much knowing my actual in-game experience wouldn’t be affected by these remarks.

Flash forward to this season and I see the daunting message that my account has been banned for 7 days for breaking the ToS. I know many of you will immediately say that I was cheating all along, but I wasn’t. You’ll have to take my word on that for the remainder of this story. I contacted support, asking them why my account was banned. They claim it’s for cheating, which, I already had a sneaking suspicion would be the supposed reason. I respond back, stating I’ve never used any third party programs to modify the game, asking them when and how I cheated if they were so certain of their cause. I’ve since been ignored completely by support.

Humor the thought for a minute that I’m that one in a million player who claims they’re not cheating and have been wrongfully banned. That would make this situation absolutely horrific, to say the least. It would mean that I’ve been simply banned for being too skilled, too dedicated. The high profile players collectively reporting me led to this ban, because they couldn’t stand losing. Again, humor that thought for a moment.

This post will probably be removed for tinfoil hatting, but I just need to get my story out. I think it’s important to remember that there’s always a face behind a username. This is why I’m taking a step back from the game. I’ve been ridiculed, penalized and ostracized for being dedicated. Even ignoring the ban, seeing the amount of hate I got as a player with no real evidence to back any claims is something I don’t want to be part of. 

This leads me to my conclusion. Every penny, second, sliver of energy you, the player, spend on this game. Think about how else you could spend it. I’m not saying to completely stop spending or playing, always do what makes you happy. Just remember that it’s a game. They don’t own you. Sure, they regulate the forums, the game, the offers, etc. We own the game. Not Kabam, not the YouTubers. Without us, there is no Marvel Contest of Champions.
Post edited by Kabam Miike on

Comments

• Options
    ThatGuyYouSaw235ThatGuyYouSaw235 Posts: 3,153 ★★★★★
    Hoping things turn out for the better my bro.
  • Options
    Fit_Fun9329Fit_Fun9329 Posts: 1,850 ★★★★★
    Kinda cringe story but when it’s true .. wow. I am wondering if kabam really could deliver proofs that you cheated. By the way, a 7 days ban is like vacation, why quit completely?
  • Options
    ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★

Kinda cringe story but when it’s true .. wow. I am wondering if kabam really could deliver proofs that you cheated. By the way, a 7 days ban is like vacation, why quit completely?

The only answer I can think of is because at least this way he can go on denying cheating.

However, if he returned to the game and couldn't duplicate his previous success (because means of cheating detected) then he would be the laughing stock of MCOC.

On the other hand, if he did return and wasn't cheating and was able to duplicate previous success, he would have the last laugh, but this would only work if he wasn't using any cheats of any kind.
  • Options
    Chris_SummersChris_Summers Posts: 252 ★★
    🥺 aw… kay bye! 👋
  • Options
    ChiliDogChiliDog Posts: 884 ★★★
    What most of us want to know....Did you get the free reward for the ban? Jk

Anyway, they sent false bans/ToS out for S22 Ultras day 1 and a few other times, but it sounds like you do have the notoriety you mentioned. Just send out the video mentioned, change your tag after BG season, wash your hands and keep them clean.

If you were cheating, you can also show that the kabam 7 day 2nd chance program works!
  • Options
    Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,210 ★★★★★
    There are a few YouTubers who jump to so many conclusions that they have zero credibility, IMO.
  • Options
    Hort4Hort4 Posts: 499 ★★★
    Obviously you are still torn on whether you will leave or not. Just take your own advise and don’t spend any time or energy on the game if you want to leave which also should include not hanging out on the forums.
  • Options
    rockykostonrockykoston Posts: 1,505 ★★★★
    It is possible that you were targeted and I sympathize for the ridicule you received. Even if you were cheating , bullying is no way to address that.

However, in my experience, bans aren't handed out lightly and even though there's a chance of an error, it's more probable that you were indeed playing unfairly.

As someone pointed out, there have been some questionable fights. You can leave, good call for your own sanity. You can stay, enjoy the game.

Good luck.
  • Options
    MackeyMackey Posts: 1,592 ★★★★★

The only answer I can think of is because at least this way he can go on denying cheating.

However, if he returned to the game and couldn't duplicate his previous success (because means of cheating detected) then he would be the laughing stock of MCOC.

On the other hand, if he did return and wasn't cheating and was able to duplicate previous success, he would have the last laugh, but this would only work if he wasn't using any cheats of any kind.
    Personally I wouldn't want to prove it either, if everything he said is true and applied to me I would be doing the exact same thing as him by quitting. Granted I wouldn't have posted on here about it though, I'd have just quit there and then.
This discussion has been closed.