**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Shut it down

13Β»

Comments

• Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,053 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

ahmynuts said:

Camby01 said:

Can you guys just shut the game down for a week or so and fix the major issues, would be a better solution than whatever this is in the long term.

It's amazing how many people don't understand that this wouldn't solve a single thing.
    Glad to know that you are a developer. Since you have all the answers, what is your solution?
    I'm not a developer. Never claimed to be one. I don't have all the answers. Never claimed I did.

I do however have experience with app development and have some working knowledge on the topic.

There is no way for them to have an easy fix. Most of the persistent issues that players say they have, isn't anything that can be fixed in a week or couple weeks.
    1. The game played on hundreds of different devices with different specs, especially if we're talking about Android devices.
    2. Issues like parry aren't happening for everyone. The players who experience can never show what's happening. People rarely give information to help the devs, they just complain about it instead.
    3. Many issues are device issues and can't be fixed through Kabam. Especially the disconnection issues with BGs but people want to blame Kabam. Most of them don't understand how any of it works anyway.

So unless they develop the game to play on a singular device and we all switch to that device, bugs won't be fixed quickly.
    Why do you shut down any complaints or concerns people have with their gameplay experiences and bugs they encounter? Things like your "point #2" uses the words "people can never show what's happening" which is you deliberately downplaying the concerns of everybody. You shouldn't be in here downplaying anything coming from a paying customer unless YOU can "can show" where they don't have a device that can handle the game or YOU can prove that it's not a bug that should be fixed. Downplaying the concerns of others isn't productive and doesn't get bugs fixed.
    I can downplay anything I want. There's only a small handful of players out of everyone that complains that has ever shown what's happening to them.

Developers can rarely find solutions to bugs if-
    1. If it can't be replicated.
    2. They can't see what's happening to be able to test it on their end
    3. People don't give helpful information. At the very least, if you're going to complain about bugs, give them as much written detail as possible.

Bugs that aren't effecting the entire playerbase at the same time are harder to fix since It's probably a device related issue.

The playerbase should try as much as they can to show the devs what's wrong. Android users especially when it comes to inputs. We can show screen touches easily whereas Apple users have a much harder time doing.

I'm not immune to what I think are input issues or changes to the A.I. I fully believe that there has been a change in A.I recovery windows. I've never been able to capture the difference so I don't expect anything tombe done until I can probe there's a difference.
    YOU DO NOT WORK FOR KABAM. So stop acting like you have information that you don't. We don't need a professional KABAM employee peter puffer in here.
    I think you're the one acting like you have information that you dont. Literal industry professionals are in this thread telling you EXACLTY how things do and do not work and you're choosing to ignore the information and be combative instead
    Stay with the conversation here and stop making up stuff. I never said I had any info. I told him to stop shutting down complaints when he doesn't work for the company and doesn't have any info. You guys are like customers at a Walmart telling people not to return broken items. It's weird and creepy.
    In all honesty, I wasn't even shutting down any complaints. Someone in this thread said I was a developer and asked what the solution was. I answered their inquiries and corrected their accusations that I'm a developer. To be very clear, I am not a developer. I do however work with them daily at my job and have working knowledge of how app development is done in simplistic terms.

All I've done in this thread is try to despell the notion that shutting down the game for a week is something that is worth doing. It's not.
    I'm not sure how people are disagreeing with that. The notion that they just shut things down for a week and things will magically be debugged is nonsensical.

What if they reboot the servers?
    Well technically, turning it off and back on again is IT 101..........

No, but really, rebooting servers isn't something that would do anything. If there were widespread connection issues like in 2019, yes, servers would need to be taken offline. But rebooting a server won't fix parry or inputs.
  • Options

And no you don't shut down the live game to work on a patch. The devs will work on fixes and update to the live version when completed. But people with complaints have reason to complain and especially if they've spent money. Mobile games are still a wild west when it comes to laws and too many shady business practices get ignored.

Please explain how mobile games are skirting laws and what shady business practices are Kabam engaged in? I'll wait.
  • Options

ahmynuts said:

Camby01 said:

Can you guys just shut the game down for a week or so and fix the major issues, would be a better solution than whatever this is in the long term.

It's amazing how many people don't understand that this wouldn't solve a single thing.
    Glad to know that you are a developer. Since you have all the answers, what is your solution?
    I'm not a developer. Never claimed to be one. I don't have all the answers. Never claimed I did.

I do however have experience with app development and have some working knowledge on the topic.

There is no way for them to have an easy fix. Most of the persistent issues that players say they have, isn't anything that can be fixed in a week or couple weeks.
    1. The game played on hundreds of different devices with different specs, especially if we're talking about Android devices.
    2. Issues like parry aren't happening for everyone. The players who experience can never show what's happening. People rarely give information to help the devs, they just complain about it instead.
    3. Many issues are device issues and can't be fixed through Kabam. Especially the disconnection issues with BGs but people want to blame Kabam. Most of them don't understand how any of it works anyway.

So unless they develop the game to play on a singular device and we all switch to that device, bugs won't be fixed quickly.
    Why do you shut down any complaints or concerns people have with their gameplay experiences and bugs they encounter? Things like your "point #2" uses the words "people can never show what's happening" which is you deliberately downplaying the concerns of everybody. You shouldn't be in here downplaying anything coming from a paying customer unless YOU can "can show" where they don't have a device that can handle the game or YOU can prove that it's not a bug that should be fixed. Downplaying the concerns of others isn't productive and doesn't get bugs fixed.
    I can downplay anything I want. There's only a small handful of players out of everyone that complains that has ever shown what's happening to them.

3. People don't give helpful information. At the very least, if you're going to complain about bugs, give them as much written detail as possible.

Bugs that aren't effecting the entire playerbase at the same time are harder to fix since It's probably a device related issue.

The playerbase should try as much as they can to show the devs what's wrong. Android users especially when it comes to inputs. We can show screen touches easily whereas Apple users have a much harder time doing.

I'm not immune to what I think are input issues or changes to the A.I. I fully believe that there has been a change in A.I recovery windows. I've never been able to capture the difference so I don't expect anything tombe done until I can probe there's a difference.
    YOU DO NOT WORK FOR KABAM. So stop acting like you have information that you don't. We don't need a professional KABAM employee peter puffer in here.
    I think you're the one acting like you have information that you dont. Literal industry professionals are in this thread telling you EXACLTY how things do and do not work and you're choosing to ignore the information and be combative instead
    Stay with the conversation here and stop making up stuff. I never said I had any info. I told him to stop shutting down complaints when he doesn't work for the company and doesn't have any info. You guys are like customers at a Walmart telling people not to return broken items. It's weird and creepy.
    In all honesty, I wasn't even shutting down any complaints. Someone in this thread said I was a developer and asked what the solution was. I answered their inquiries and corrected their accusations that I'm a developer. To be very clear, I am not a developer. I do however work with them daily at my job and have working knowledge of how app development is done in simplistic terms.

All I've done in this thread is try to despell the notion that shutting down the game for a week is something that is worth doing. It's not.
    I'm not saying you're wrong. You're right on the development side with patches and not needing to shut down the live version while they are worked on as I work for a software company as well. I was just referring to the generalized statements in between.
    So, you have a complaint about a bug in your software from one of your customers. They make a report. All they tell you that it happens all the time, not matter what they do.

What's your response?
  • Options
    CaptainGameCaptainGame Posts: 369 β˜…β˜…β˜…
    edited July 2023

And no you don't shut down the live game to work on a patch. The devs will work on fixes and update to the live version when completed. But people with complaints have reason to complain and especially if they've spent money. Mobile games are still a wild west when it comes to laws and too many shady business practices get ignored.

Please explain how mobile games are skirting laws and what shady business practices are Kabam engaged in? I'll wait.
    1. Changing the item sold after selling it and not offering refunds for the product.
    2. Running "loot boxes"/gambling reels for items which is buying a "chance" to get something of value which is by definition "gambling"
    3. I've been victim before of KABAM double charging me for a purchase and when told to "just file for a refund from Google" only for my account to receive a negative unit balance until I paid them again.

I'm sure others will list more but I'm not sitting on a forum all day to play a game of "gotcha" with you so you can use your social engineering technics to try to get people questioning my integrity as well. Cheers.
  • Options
    ahmynutsahmynuts Posts: 5,994 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

Camby01 said:

In what way am I acting like I have information that I don't?
    Don't play dumb. You do it all the time with words like "they don't show any info" or you make excuses like saying they aren't using the right device despite you having no way of knowing that as I'm sure each person isn't filling out reports to KABAM to you. You intentionally word your retorts to make others question the integrity of the person complaining. You're extremely manipulative and I see a few others here like that as well.
    We are right for being able to question your integrity since you refuse to absorb any information from anyone in this thread who is directly speaking to you
  • Options

1. Changing the item sold after selling it and not offering refunds for the product.
    2. Running "loot boxes"/gambling reels for items which is buying a "chance" to get something of value which is by definition "gambling"
    3. I've been victim before of KABAM double charging me for a purchase and when told to "just file for a refund from Google" only for my account to receive a negative unit balance until I paid them again.

I'm sure others will list more but I'm not sitting on a forum all day to play a game of "gotcha" with you so you can use your social engineering technics to try to get people questioning my integrity as well. Cheers.
    1. It's stated in their ToS, clear as day, they can change anything they want whenever they want. Just because you've not read the ToS or disagree with it, it doesn't make it shady.
    2. All loot boxes follow any laws related to them. Drop rates are listed as needed and when required. Not a shady business practices and follows the law.
    3. You aren't a victim because you got charged twice. You likely jumped the gun and don't know how pending charges work. Also, the ignorance of not going to Kabam for your refund and going to Google is your fault, not Kabams. It's listed in the ToS as well. Not shady and it's Kabam protecting their resources.

What else ya got?
  • Options
    ReignkingTWReignkingTW Posts: 2,537 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

ahmynuts said:

Camby01 said:

I'm not sure how people are disagreeing with that. The notion that they just shut things down for a week and things will magically be debugged is nonsensical.

What if they reboot the servers?
    Well technically, turning it off and back on again is IT 101..........

No, but really, rebooting servers isn't something that would do anything. If there were widespread connection issues like in 2019, yes, servers would need to be taken offline. But rebooting a server won't fix parry or inputs.
    That was a joke :)
  • Options

1. It's stated in their ToS, clear as day, they can change anything they want whenever they want. Just because you've not read the ToS or disagree with it, it doesn't make it shady.
    2. All loot boxes follow any laws related to them. Drop rates are listed as needed and when required. Not a shady business practices and follows the law.
    3. You aren't a victim because you got charged twice. You likely jumped the gun and don't know how pending charges work. Also, the ignorance of not going to Kabam for your refund and going to Google is your fault, not Kabams. It's listed in the ToS as well. Not shady and it's Kabam protecting their resources.

What else ya got?
    1. If I put in TOS that I can rob people, it doesn't make it a legal document because stealing is illegal and we have laws to protect consumers from exact issues.
    2. Gambling without a license is not legal and eventually Ill bet it's cracked down on regardless of how companies try to manipulate the wording of it. Shady.
    3. KABAM support told me to file with google. Therefore they are responsible. Period. It's not on the consumer to run laps to get a refund. And when a company representative tells you steps and they are incorrect, the company is πŸ’― responsible. Period.
  • Options
    Agent_7Agent_7 Posts: 182 β˜…β˜…
    Better solution would be a pause to updates, while taking the time to perform a deep dive QA and hardening of the environment. Ensure that the production environment has proper capacity and it matches as closely as possible to the development environment (hardware, software and platform/versioning). But that’s really not ideal either. Any β€œpause” of any kind will lose some percentage of the player base, likely forever.

The best solution is one that the economic landscape in general just doesn’t support right now - right staff their organization to ensure that they have adequate coverage for thorough development and QA. Costs are high for everyone and everyone is doing their best to do as much work as they can for the least investment. It cuts into profit margins and it’s a dangerous tight rope to walk.

I honestly feel a bit of empathy towards Kabam’s employees. I’d guess there are conversations that happen behind closed doors where they express frustration at not being able to deliver to expectations. I try to remember that when I’m interacting with people, but we all have expectations and, unfortunately, the front line employees in any company always take the beating.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

What else ya got?
    1. If I put in TOS that I can rob people, it doesn't make it a legal document because stealing is illegal and we have laws to protect consumers from exact issues.
    2. Gambling without a license is not legal and eventually Ill bet it's cracked down on regardless of how companies try to manipulate the wording of it. Shady.
    3. KABAM support told me to file with google. Therefore they are responsible. Period. It's not on the consumer to run laps to get a refund. And when a company representative tells you steps and they are incorrect, the company is πŸ’― responsible. Period.
    1. ToS's are legally binding. They aren't stealing from you because you don't own anything in your account. Agreeing to the ToS when you created your account, holds you to that-

2. It's been proven in court that loot boxes aren't gambling. If anything you said in point #2 was accurate, loot boxes wouldn't exist because you have to be either 21 in states that have legal gambling. People would have filed lawsuits left and right to every game that utilizes lootboxes. Again, please, please, please take Kabam to court with this argument. Let me know how it works out for you.
    3. Support would not tell you to get a refund through Google. If they told you to contact Google, then Kabam doesn't have a recorded double transaction. Occasionally, banks can make double drafts if something happens during the payment process and it looks like 2 transactions but there isn't. One will always fall off.

All of your points tell me that you are very unaware of how the real world works. I'm very willing to bet you aren't employed in software development and probably aren't out of highschool yet.
  • Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

DrZola said:

Shutting down the game prevents the best testers from discovering all the bugs.

Dr. Zola
    It's not like they discover them unless told about them by community anyways...
    Do you ever look at the patch notes? Full of bugs that aren't reported here.
    I get what you're saying but CCP exists. Lot of bugs are reported there. Many a times I've seen someone bring up a bug only for a CCP member to say that it's been acknowledged
  • Options

What else ya got?
    1. ToS's are legally binding. They aren't stealing from you because you don't own anything in your account. Agreeing to the ToS when you created your account, holds you to that-

2. It's been proven in court that loot boxes aren't gambling. If anything you said in point #2 was accurate, loot boxes wouldn't exist because you have to be either 21 in states that have legal gambling. People would have filed lawsuits left and right to every game that utilizes lootboxes. Again, please, please, please take Kabam to court with this argument. Let me know how it works out for you.
    3. Support would not tell you to get a refund through Google. If they told you to contact Google, then Kabam doesn't have a recorded double transaction. Occasionally, banks can make double drafts if something happens during the payment process and it looks like 2 transactions but there isn't. One will always fall off.

All of your points tell me that you are very unaware of how the real world works. I'm very willing to bet you aren't employed in software development and probably aren't out of highschool yet.
    So you did exactly what I accused you of because you social engineerists are all predictably the same. You, as always, were rude, condescending, ignored the entire story of courts still not being finished with looking at mobile games as well as crypto and nfts themselves, and attempted to attack my integrity by saying something has no possibility of happening despite you having zero evidence to support your claim of it not happening and me having gotten the actual email. If you were in the "real world" and talked to customers like you do in here, you'd be fired fast. Predictable. You should log off sometimes.
  • Options
    ahmynuts said:

Camby01 said:

In what way am I acting like I have information that I don't?
    Don't play dumb. You do it all the time with words like "they don't show any info" or you make excuses like saying they aren't using the right device despite you having no way of knowing that as I'm sure each person isn't filling out reports to KABAM to you. You intentionally word your retorts to make others question the integrity of the person complaining. You're extremely manipulative and I see a few others here like that as well.
    We are right for being able to question your integrity since you refuse to absorb any information from anyone in this thread who is directly speaking to you
    And you aren't even paying attention which tells me that you're just stupid. Read moron
  • Options

What else ya got?

So you did exactly what I accused you of because you social engineerists are all predictably the same. You, as always, were rude, condescending, ignored the entire story of courts still not being finished with looking at mobile games as well as crypto and nfts themselves, and attempted to attack my integrity by saying something has no possibility of happening despite you having zero evidence to support your claim of it not happening and me having gotten the actual email. If you were in the "real world" and talked to customers like you do in here, you'd be fired fast. Predictable. You should log off sometimes.
    Lol "social engineeriest".
  • Options

What else ya got?

Do you know what social engineering is?
  • Options

What else ya got?

Yep and I guarantee you as part of the "mean girls club" here don't. Let me inform you. It's using tactics to manipulate. In this case, manipulating the others here reading to oppose the other person due to comments made up such as "you don't work in this" and attacks on the person rather than keeping the conversation focused on the subject at hand.
  • Options

What else ya got?

Yep and I guarantee you as part of the "mean girls club" here don't. Let me inform you. It's using tactics to manipulate. In this case, manipulating the others here reading to oppose the other person due to comments made up such as "you don't work in this" and attacks on the person rather than keeping the conversation focused on the subject at hand.
    You’re only part right. It’s using tactics to manipulate people, but not to steer the conversation, it’s used to gain information in order to get past security measures. What you’re talking about is just simple de-railment. Social engineering is a security term.
  • Options

What else ya got?

You’re only part right. It’s using tactics to manipulate people, but not to steer the conversation, it’s used to gain information in order to get past security measures. What you’re talking about is just simple de-railment. Social engineering is a security term.
    Ah you are correct and I'm wrong on that one. Apologies!
  • Options

What else ya got?

Just so we're clear, I didn't attack you. I made some observations. Your mannerisms are not indicative of someone mature enough to be out in the world on their own.

Again, not attacking you. Just my observations. What you said to @ahmynuts is attacking someone. It's pretty hypocritical of you.
  • Options
    ReignkingTWReignkingTW Posts: 2,537 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…
    Some people are going to be banned once the weekend ends...
  • Options
    ahmynutsahmynuts Posts: 5,994 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

What else ya got?

Just so we're clear, I didn't attack you. I made some observations. Your mannerisms are not indicative of someone mature enough to be out in the world on their own.

Again, not attacking you. Just my observations. What you said to @ahmynuts is attacking someone. It's pretty hypocritical of you.

• Options
    DUHveedDUHveed Posts: 343 β˜…β˜…β˜…

• Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,690 Guardian

Legally, MCOC is a service, not a store. They do not "sell" items except colloquially. Legally, they charge you for an enhanced experience. The game's TOS explicitly requires you to agree to this when you play the game. If you do not agree with this interpretation of the game, you have no legal right to play it.

This seems to be a legal point most armchair lawyers fail to acknowledge or understand. The argument is that even if Kabam thinks they aren't selling actual material goods, the player can decide they are wrong. Which is not impossible: a player could theoretically prove Kabam's legal interpretation is in fact wrong. However by asserting in a court of law that you were playing the game while explicitly disagreeing with and refusing to acknowledge this legal interpretation, you're in effect stealing the service. If the TOS is invalid, that doesn't mean it can be ignored. Rather, it means that in the absence of a legal use contract, you have no right to use the game.

If you don't agree to these terms, you can't play the game, full stop. If you do agree to these terms, then by definition none of the lootboxes in the game are gambling within the definitions of most legal jurisdictions, because gambling typically requires rewards of material value. If you agree in-game items have no material value, you cannot legally gamble for them. If you assert they do have material value, then once again you are admitting theft of service.

There are a lot of people who think that the laws will eventually get changed to define lootboxes to be gambling by fiat, bypassing the current legal definitions of gambling. I'm highly skeptical, because the legal requirements for gambling are not just technicalities. It is extremely difficult to come up with a legal definition of gambling that would include, say, MCOC champion crystals but somehow exclude things like Magic the Gathering card packs and Crackerjack boxes. When the Netherlands tried to impose a fine on EA using the legal theory that lootboxes were gambling, they ran afoul of these boundaries of legal gambling. Lootboxes within a game, it was ruled, was not an activity unto itself. The rewards could only legally be used within the games, they had no value outside of them. So it was the entire game itself that had to be judged as a legal or illegal gambling activity, and within the scope of Netherlands law the entire game as a whole was considered a game of skill which explicitly preempts it from being considered an illegal gambling activity. The fact that the lootboxes themselves were random with no skill was irrelevant, because the rewards from them had no value, except within the larger game which was a game of skill.

IANAL, but from my own study of the situation which goes back over a decade, I would say for those trying to make lootboxes in games illegal, or who think that this is an obvious eventual inevitability, this is a non-trivial problem to solve. In the same sense that world peace and warp drive are non-trivial problems.
  • Options
    Maxwell24Maxwell24 Posts: 413 β˜…β˜…β˜…
    Or just mabye yall could stop wining for a couple seconds? If your unhappy with the state of the game stop playing, very easy solution
  • Options
    KnightOfTheRealmKnightOfTheRealm Posts: 886 β˜…β˜…β˜…
    Maxwell24 said:

Or just mabye yall could stop wining for a couple seconds? If your unhappy with the state of the game stop playing, very easy solution

The game should work