Options

Should i bother ranking up my 2nd 6* now or wait to bring up a 7*?

It's not champ specific or anything. I do have a god tier waiting from each class. I'm just thinking too ahead of what kind of requirements would be after paragon. I have limited resources so I just want your opinions if I should wait to see about 7*s or just rank up a God tier 6*. Lemme know guys. Thank you.

P.S. I'm not worried about prestige since I know I'll always be in the middle of the pack or needing to rank up to clear content since I completed act 8 so those don't play a factor with this decision.

Comments

• Options
    FurrymoosenFurrymoosen Posts: 2,225 ★★★★★
    Like a second R5 6*, or like you only have two 6* total?
  • Options
    Marvelfan30Marvelfan30 Posts: 1,165 ★★★★
    If this is your actual 2nd 6* who have to rank up 3 6*s to r4 for paragon so ranking a 7* isn't an option
  • Options
    zernixzernix Posts: 82
    Currently struggling with the same dilemma. I only have one R5 and I'm not really sure if I should be saving for a R2 7 Star or bring up another R4 to R5.

Other problem is I don't really have a 7 star I'd want to take to R2. My Korg and Killmonger are both unduped and the only other 2 I have that would feel worth it are Mangog and Dragonman, but my one R5 is Rintrah so neither would see much use outside of War defense or BGs. If I had someone like Hulk or Bishop it would be a much easier decision for me.

What 7 stars do you have? I know you said it's not champ specific but it would probably help to know.
  • Options
    Ben_PainBen_Pain Posts: 11

Like a second R5 6*, or like you only have two 6* total?

A second R5 6*. I have a bunch of R4s and have been hesitant to use my resources for a second R5.
  • Options

If this is your actual 2nd 6* who have to rank up 3 6*s to r4 for paragon so ranking a 7* isn't an option

Yeah I should've clarified. I have a bunch of 6*s, just a lot of rank 4s. I'm already paragon but stupidly thinking what's next after paragon. So it's making me hesitant to rank 5 a 6* at the moment.
  • Options
    PandingoPandingo Posts: 726 ★★★
    I stopped personally. I feel like rank up gems will become a more accessible way to r5 champs and honestly my r2s hit like trucks
  • Options
    zernix said:

Currently struggling with the same dilemma. I only have one R5 and I'm not really sure if I should be saving for a R2 7 Star or bring up another R4 to R5.

Other problem is I don't really have a 7 star I'd want to take to R2. My Korg and Killmonger are both unduped and the only other 2 I have that would feel worth it are Mangog and Dragonman, but my one R5 is Rintrah so neither would see much use outside of War defense or BGs. If I had someone like Hulk or Bishop it would be a much easier decision for me.

What 7 stars do you have? I know you said it's not champ specific but it would probably help to know.

Same man. My 7*s are okay but only one dupe, Silver Surfer. I actually thought about Surfer at one point since I was pretty good at using him and actually enjoy usually him. My other 7*s are gorr, titania, overseer, mangog, war machine and og spidey. I'm not in a rush but just wondering if I'm wasting time not ranking up.
  • Options
    FurrymoosenFurrymoosen Posts: 2,225 ★★★★★
    I’ve still been R5’ing champs, but only those that I know won’t be 7* for a long time, like Doom, Kitty, Valk, etc.
  • Options
    Pandingo said:

I stopped personally. I feel like rank up gems will become a more accessible way to r5 champs and honestly my r2s hit like trucks

True, man. Lol that's actually the only reason I have one R5 in the first place. I had a tech R5 gem so I brought up nimrod.
  • Options

I’ve still been R5’ing champs, but only those that I know won’t be 7* for a long time, like Doom, Kitty, Valk, etc.

That's a very good point!
  • Options
    jcphillips7jcphillips7 Posts: 1,054 ★★★
    edited July 2023
    The 4th sales really skipped the R5 gap for a lot of people it seems, compared to the waiting/ranking of R3 to R4.

Right before the sale, I had JUST completed a 3rd cosmic catalyst and took Hercules up. I only got those catalysts from the catalyst selector during the last big alliance event (7* release?), and then got the others from 100% 8.2....like, nowhere else in the game.

Then the 4th sales came and I was giddy with the R5's I could make. Even got 1 R2 7* as well.

That said...I feel this is still moving too fast, and I feel others probably agree. There's plenty of champs that still should go to R5 if you've got the resources instead of a shoddy 7*. I don't think the majority of us should just be like "out with the old!" regarding 6*s to R5 when MANY people JUST got them to R5.
  • Options
    coolspiderman17_coolspiderman17_ Posts: 322 ★★★
    I rank up the champs that I like. If my favorite champ that I want to take up as high as possible isn’t available as a 7*, I’m gonna take them to r5. For example, I’ll be taking up spider ham soon once I gather enough catalysts. Maybe he’s not the best of the best but I like him and he’s not a 7*
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,700 Guardian
    Ben_Pain said:

It's not champ specific or anything. I do have a god tier waiting from each class. I'm just thinking too ahead of what kind of requirements would be after paragon. I have limited resources so I just want your opinions if I should wait to see about 7*s or just rank up a God tier 6*. Lemme know guys. Thank you.

P.S. I'm not worried about prestige since I know I'll always be in the middle of the pack or needing to rank up to clear content since I completed act 8 so those don't play a factor with this decision.

In general, I think people should rank up who they want, and in particular they should rank up who they play, or want to play, and will make use of. If ranking up a champ will allow you to put them to use now and gain significant rewards or progress you wouldn't have been able to otherwise (or get them for less resources), then go for it.

But if you're asking about the strategic question, what is the best long term play, then I think most people are asking the wrong question. They are asking "what will the next progress tier require?" Some people think 6* R5, some think 7* R2, some think a mix of both, some even think 7* R3 (I'm in that camp actually). But that's irrelevant. I think most people believe that it won't likely be 6* R5 alone: if it ends up being some amount of 6* R5, it will likely be either/or: 6* R5 or 7* R2 or some mix of the two. It seems much less likely that they would punish people who ranked up 7* R2 over 6* R5 (the question of 6* R4 vs 7* R1 is a lot more complex: 7* R1 does not require catalysts, so it is not directly comparable). However, what I am fairly certain of is this: whatever the next progress tier is, we will *eventually* need 7* R3s or R4s. That much is all but guaranteed.

So on the one hand R5s are cheaper to rank up than R2s. But every R5 I make is a champ I cannot take to (7*) R3. Every R2 I make is one step closer to R3, and eventually R4. So my own rank up strategy is heavily influenced by this: I am spending catalysts on R2s, because I figure I will either need R2s, or R3s, or R4s, one day. And since catalysts are still relatively slow to come by, I want to invest in R2s now (assuming I have candidates I actually want to rank up).

I still have R5s, but they come from rank up gems. In this way, I can (roughly) balance R5s and R2s, so I don't just halt all 6* rank ups. There are still lots of 6s that would be extremely useful as R5 and unlikely to materialize as a 7* any time soon, or even if they do appear it will be a very long time before I will be pulling them into the roster. But for now, and this might change in the future, my catalysts are going to R2s over R5s.
  • Options
    FigueFigue Posts: 83
    if you spend money then go for 6 stars rank 5, the other things will come along. If you dont spend go for 7 stars because it will be harder to get them for you, unless you are a pro in the game
  • Options
    BulmktBulmkt Posts: 1,556 ★★★★
  • Options
    klobberintymeklobberintyme Posts: 1,447 ★★★★
    Ben_Pain said:

Pandingo said:

True, man. Lol that's actually the only reason I have one R5 in the first place. I had a tech R5 gem so I brought up nimrod.
    you answered your own question. r5 when you have an r5 gem so when you run into a 7* champ you want to r2, you won't be second guessing your choice, if indeed rankup mats are few and far between for you.
  • Options
    AzdefAzdef Posts: 152
    DNA3000 said:

Ben_Pain said:

In general, I think people should rank up who they want, and in particular they should rank up who they play, or want to play, and will make use of. If ranking up a champ will allow you to put them to use now and gain significant rewards or progress you wouldn't have been able to otherwise (or get them for less resources), then go for it.

But if you're asking about the strategic question, what is the best long term play, then I think most people are asking the wrong question. They are asking "what will the next progress tier require?" Some people think 6* R5, some think 7* R2, some think a mix of both, some even think 7* R3 (I'm in that camp actually). But that's irrelevant. I think most people believe that it won't likely be 6* R5 alone: if it ends up being some amount of 6* R5, it will likely be either/or: 6* R5 or 7* R2 or some mix of the two. It seems much less likely that they would punish people who ranked up 7* R2 over 6* R5 (the question of 6* R4 vs 7* R1 is a lot more complex: 7* R1 does not require catalysts, so it is not directly comparable). However, what I am fairly certain of is this: whatever the next progress tier is, we will *eventually* need 7* R3s or R4s. That much is all but guaranteed.

So on the one hand R5s are cheaper to rank up than R2s. But every R5 I make is a champ I cannot take to (7*) R3. Every R2 I make is one step closer to R3, and eventually R4. So my own rank up strategy is heavily influenced by this: I am spending catalysts on R2s, because I figure I will either need R2s, or R3s, or R4s, one day. And since catalysts are still relatively slow to come by, I want to invest in R2s now (assuming I have candidates I actually want to rank up).

I still have R5s, but they come from rank up gems. In this way, I can (roughly) balance R5s and R2s, so I don't just halt all 6* rank ups. There are still lots of 6s that would be extremely useful as R5 and unlikely to materialize as a 7* any time soon, or even if they do appear it will be a very long time before I will be pulling them into the roster. But for now, and this might change in the future, my catalysts are going to R2s over R5s.
    Precisely the strategy I am going for as of now.
    Not really fussed about the progression title but only gems for 6*r5's and catalysts for 7*'s. Also prioritising champions which are highly unlikely to be a 7* anytime soon and those which require high sig for 6*r5's.
  • Options
    DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,559 ★★★★★

My only R5 is Herc. All other top tier champs are R4, and I will slowly take them up as I am able.

But…there is more than writing on the wall. BGs provide a clear window into how formidable even the R1 7* is.

Which is why I took 7* Chavez to R2 over Doom or Tigra to R5. I didn’t have her ranked as a 6*, thought she would be valuable post-buff, didn’t really need her sig and would give me another powerful mystic for my deep bench of R4 mystics.

Fast forward—now I’m deciding whether to R2 Silk over other options like R5 2099, QS or Spot. It’s a bit tougher because she benefits from her sig, but even without it she’s a nuke. Plus she’s fun to play and mechanically similar to Chavez. So I will probably R2 her.

Third question is whether my next cosmic is a R5 or a R2. I have Gamora awakened as well as Venom, but the utility of 6* Hulkling is terrific. Tougher choice and one I will wait on until I make my science decision.

Maybe Kabam will drop some gems to help me make up my mind.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    LexSaviLexSavi Posts: 167
    I think prioritizing 7* over 6* is the best long term strategy. That being said, I’m planning to R5 certain specialty/utility champs, because they’ll be better at what they do than a general 7*.

My next R5 is going to be Nimrod, without any hesitation. He’s pretty much guaranteed to be relevant in content for a long time considering that he’s so much better at what he does than pretty much any other champ.
  • Options
    MackeyMackey Posts: 1,569 ★★★★★
    edited July 2023
    I'm sticking with r5s for the moment, I don't feel like there is a single champ in the 7* pool that warrants r2 over, let's say, r5 Kitty/Nimrod. The next progression title is something to think about for some I guess but it isn't here now and won't be for a while so I don't care much about it, I'll just cross that bridge when it comes.

I guess it's more a question of do you wanna have the highest odds of hitting the next progression soon as it comes out or not? 🤷‍♂️ .... no point in asking about how powerful the champs are/can be at r2 because we don't need that level of power, currently everything can be pretty much done with 5* r5s still