**KNOWN AW ISSUE**
Please be aware, there is a known issue with Saga badging when observing the AW map.
The team have found the source of the issue and will be updating with our next build.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Options

Kabam, please don't continue making FTP/low spenders have too much of a harsh time in battlegrounds

2»

Comments

• Options
    ShevvelShevvel Posts: 184

I don't really post on here but I've become really sick of the battlegrounds experience nowadays having to face much larger rosters than mine as an occasional low spender that I just had to say something here. No idea if what I say in this post actually gets considered by kabam (maybe a forum moderator reading this will only just look for any violations in TOS to be honest) but I guess it might be worth voicing my experience.

I currently have only one r5 6 star I got from eternity of pain and have placed in celestial 5 in battlegrounds for the past 3 or 4 seasons I think, so you can say I'm quite the competitive player. I usually still have like maybe 6 r3 6 stars in my deck too.

This season, I have gotten many headaches from having to lose because the other person just had the bigger champ and to me, it feels like actually playing well is just in vain since you can easily lose to someone who has a bigger roster. I mentioned that I usually place in c5, this season, I can barely get to mysterium I.

Please don't misunderstand me. I genuinely do understand that paying should give you an advantage but surely many people would agree that the advantage is rather quite large at the moment. I had no problems facing larger decks before this season because I was still able to get wins and place in c5.

I don't know how else I can express how hopeless I feel in battlegrounds nowadays. I genuinely do love playing the game mode but it feels like my efforts are all for nothing with the really massive acceleration in roster strengths compared to mine.

Leave celes 5.. you can see PPL with bigger rosters from arcane 1.. they ll be having at least 5 or more 6* max or 7R2.. best thing to do now is enjoy with lesser rewards.. talent always prevails..
  • Options
    ShevvelShevvel Posts: 184
    @Kabam Miike I don't know why kabam is not responding on this topic.. because large no of this community raises concerns on this topic.. I don't know what to do if nov deals also like this :D
  • Options
    VietNamforeverVietNamforever Posts: 16
    Man I’m a FTP too and before this 4th July deal, I usually ended up around Mysterium 1 which is quite competitive. Here is my advise, as a FTP, you want to focus on the skill part of the game than building big roster, so just enjoy with your pace, that’s how it should be. The more you depress about the current state, the higher chance you will move to heavy spender. That’s what Kabam want and kind of psychology stuff. So, enjoy with your pace or just quite is my recommendation. Relax not worth to stress buddy
  • Options
    ZuroZuro Posts: 2,815 ★★★★★

Zuro said:

Zuro said:

If spenders didn't gain an advantage in competitive modes then there would be no point in spending.

agreed, but they've devalued skill and content so much with these deals that anyone who's picked up the game in the last 8 months can surpass someone with 8 years under their belt. content and putting in the work has been nullified.
    If a player who's been around for 8 years can't compete with someone who's been around for 8 months then it's defiantly a skill issue, regardless of spending.

I just love the, "I'm f2p so I must be better than all players who spend" thought process. It totally absolves them of any blame for losing matches or not being that good at the game. 99% of the time it's said by someone who hasn't completed all the content to expand their rosters as much as possible to close the gap between the spenders and themselves.

Some people should look more at their own skill and roster and not worry about what other people are doing.
    To be fair as a ftp whose been playing since the game came out, and often lands between celestial 6 and mysterium 1, the gap jumped way too fast. The fact I've cleared all content in this game besides 100% abyss, yet due to these deals whales have been able to get more r5 6 stars and r2 7 stars than I have r4s shows how quick the jump has been. You may claim that the competition was never close to begin with but that's far from the truth. Dealing with 5-6 r5s is battlegrounds was pretty easy, but jumping to 20+ in just a few days is downright nonsensical in regards to balance of this game.
    You're literally complaining about growing rosters in the top 100-400 BG players in the world.
    Okay? The point still stands jumping from 5-6 r5s to 20+ in a span of a few days is still ludicrous no matter how you look at. This goes beyond just "growing" lmao but at the end of the day it already happened so whatever.
    IMO, a top 400 BG player complaining about spending is ludicrous.
    I couldn't care less about people spending on this game lmao. I'm simply addressing the abrupt spike in roster power that happened way too fast for a competitive game mode. You've literally moved the goalpost from saying that most free to play players aren't even skilled enough to compete with whales to being with, to ftp players that can compete with them shouldn't be allowed to complain either lmao.
  • Options
    ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
    Shevvel said:

@Kabam Miike I don't know why kabam is not responding on this topic.. because large no of this community raises concerns on this topic.. I don't know what to do if nov deals also like this :D

Don't worry Kabam ignored it on the opposite side for several months at early seasons of BG when extremely low accounts still UC were making it to GC while many Paragon could barely get past Gold.

They ignored us for months and months, however, they did state few months back that matchmaking would be adjusted and weaker rosters would be motivated to build up their roster. So at least weaker rosters were given notice which also makes them addressing what they already addressed less of a priority.
  • Options
    willrun4adonutwillrun4adonut Posts: 3,560 ★★★★★
    There's always ing.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,996 Guardian
    Zuro said:

Zuro said:

If spenders didn't gain an advantage in competitive modes then there would be no point in spending.

agreed, but they've devalued skill and content so much with these deals that anyone who's picked up the game in the last 8 months can surpass someone with 8 years under their belt. content and putting in the work has been nullified.
    If a player who's been around for 8 years can't compete with someone who's been around for 8 months then it's defiantly a skill issue, regardless of spending.

I just love the, "I'm f2p so I must be better than all players who spend" thought process. It totally absolves them of any blame for losing matches or not being that good at the game. 99% of the time it's said by someone who hasn't completed all the content to expand their rosters as much as possible to close the gap between the spenders and themselves.

Some people should look more at their own skill and roster and not worry about what other people are doing.
    To be fair as a ftp whose been playing since the game came out, and often lands between celestial 6 and mysterium 1, the gap jumped way too fast. The fact I've cleared all content in this game besides 100% abyss, yet due to these deals whales have been able to get more r5 6 stars and r2 7 stars than I have r4s shows how quick the jump has been. You may claim that the competition was never close to begin with but that's far from the truth. Dealing with 5-6 r5s is battlegrounds was pretty easy, but jumping to 20+ in just a few days is downright nonsensical in regards to balance of this game.
    You're literally complaining about growing rosters in the top 100-400 BG players in the world.
    Okay? The point still stands jumping from 5-6 r5s to 20+ in a span of a few days is still ludicrous no matter how you look at. This goes beyond just "growing" lmao but at the end of the day it already happened so whatever.
    That's not exactly a fair observation. Sure, the big sale numbers dramatically increased the rosters of the big spenders, but to say they increased their roster by that much in just a few days is like saying someone who saves up their rank up materials for six months and then ranks everything up all at once is also improving their roster by a lot in just a few minutes. Those sales happen only every so often, and of course they are going to cause bursts upward all at once, and then nothing for a long period of time until the next sale.

But also, that's how this game works. Spending is concentrated at the top. If the very very top of the game is only capable of adding, say, a couple R5s to their roster that would mean everyone else would have to have a lot less. This trickles downward. If the very top gets 5, the middle of the top gets 3, the bottom of the top, which is still the top 0.1% of players, gets 1, and everyone else gets none. The highest spenders are spending between ten times more than me and a hundred times more than me. How much advantage should they get over a moderate spender like me? 20% more? 10%? 1%?

If you expect the very top of the competition to have diluted advantages due to spending, where that's almost certainly where the most spending happens, no one else can get anything at all from spending. For the average player to get decent value the higher spenders have to get a lot of value, and the maximal spenders have to get more value still. That's inescapable.

I actually didn't spend all that much this J4. I am an eight year veteran of the game and I do play a lot, and I have spent in the past, but overall at the moment I have four R5/R2 rank champs, plus an unused rank up gem, so call that five. If the top megawhales in the game have twenty, how much stronger would you say twenty is than five? Four times stronger? Questionable, because that doesn't count the rest of the roster, but let's say four times stronger. They've almost certainly spent at least twenty times more than me on this game, maybe fifty times more. What should they get for their five thousand percent more spending? One hundred percent more? What's fair?

If you decide that the absolute top spenders can only have X, what sort of crumbs are you leaving behind for everyone else?
  • Options
    JT_SupremeJT_Supreme Posts: 1,021 ★★★★
    Mackey said:

The sheer amount of people in GC this season bugs me a lot tbh, I hope it's just this one season but I don't think it's overly fair that, in this season at least, someone can get to GC and fight like hell to get to a rating of around 110 yet theyll still be in the exact same bracket as someone who is on a rating of 1 (bracket being Uru 3) it begs the question of why even bother, previous seasons a rating of 110 has landed you in or around Gamma. Maybe Kabam could change the objectives to 24 hours instead of 48 hours to soften that blow... should this keep occurring 🤷‍♂️.

Just want to add in that I'm not stuck in Uru 3 so I'm not saying this because I'm salty or anything, just thought it was a bit of a kick in the teeth for those it affects

I remember 2-3 seasons ago, at the end of the season I don’t even think uru 3 was filled up. It was nice to get to arcane with 100 points, but the vt climb absolutely sucked so there’s trade offs I guess.
  • Options
    Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,922 ★★★★★
    Zuro said:

Zuro said:

Zuro said:

I couldn't care less about people spending on this game lmao. I'm simply addressing the abrupt spike in roster power that happened way too fast for a competitive game mode. You've literally moved the goalpost from saying that most free to play players aren't even skilled enough to compete with whales to being with, to ftp players that can compete with them shouldn't be allowed to complain either lmao.
    Aren't you proving my point that F2P players aren't skilled enough to compete with all of your complaining about not being able to compete?
  • Options

Zuro said:

Zuro said:

Zuro said:

Aren't you proving my point that F2P players aren't skilled enough to compete with all of your complaining about not being able to compete?
    No? You just have a bias that automatically assumes that everytime a ftp player loses to a whale its purely do skill. If I, a ftp player who constantly averages in high rank bgs, and other ftp players who do the same, seem to have this same complaint only starting recently its safe to this goes beyond just skill.

I can guarantee you that prior to these deals not a single HIGH ranking ftp player was complaining about the disparity in rosters. This is because if you were skilled enough it was still possible to deal with 4-5 rank 5s or 1-2 r2 7 stars. Although with these deals you can literally brute force your way to the top despite skill now.

The main factor behind this is the huge challenger rating difference between 7 stars and 6 stars. What this does is that it makes it dang near impossible to crit or do high damage against them. Therefore when players are suddenly able to jump from 1-2 r2 7 stars, all the way to 7+ in a span of a few days, it makes it nearly impossible to power through purely based on skill. At least before you could always ban some, but now if I ban 3 I'll have to deal with 4 more and literally have a almost guaranteed lost no matter what. If you actually played in the competitive scene you would see where I'm coming from, but you'd rather stick to the bias that ftp players only lose cause of skill lmao.

• Options
    Unfortunately, this is one of the main issues I have with BGs. BGs has moved from "skill" based, to mainly "roster" based. you definitely need to have skill for sure, but it definitely hinges more on the roster side currently. And with the July4 deals, if you didn't spend, there is no way to bridge the gap in the near future. BGs is mostly a p2w mode at the very top, non spenders/low spenders reach a particular limit beyond which the odds are close to insurmountable. This is the main reason i've never liked BGs ( there are many other reasons too, but not in this discussion).
    so OP, i hear you, but the fact is, for the next few seasons you will see this pain. The company pushed the sales along with the battlerealm brawl, so the higher players in BGs will spend to be able to compete with it. Your odds are going to be next to nothing if you didnt spend with the rest of them.
  • Options
    Zuro said:

Zuro said:

Zuro said:

Zuro said:

No? You just have a bias that automatically assumes that everytime a ftp player loses to a whale its purely do skill. If I, a ftp player who constantly averages in high rank bgs, and other ftp players who do the same, seem to have this same complaint only starting recently its safe to this goes beyond just skill.

I can guarantee you that prior to these deals not a single HIGH ranking ftp player was complaining about the disparity in rosters. This is because if you were skilled enough it was still possible to deal with 4-5 rank 5s or 1-2 r2 7 stars. Although with these deals you can literally brute force your way to the top despite skill now.

The main factor behind this is the huge challenger rating difference between 7 stars and 6 stars. What this does is that it makes it dang near impossible to crit or do high damage against them. Therefore when players are suddenly able to jump from 1-2 r2 7 stars, all the way to 7+ in a span of a few days, it makes it nearly impossible to power through purely based on skill. At least before you could always ban some, but now if I ban 3 I'll have to deal with 4 more and literally have a almost guaranteed lost no matter what. If you actually played in the competitive scene you would see where I'm coming from, but you'd rather stick to the bias that ftp players only lose cause of skill lmao.

F2P players have been complaining about whales for like 7 years.

You can keep complaining about it but it's not going to change. Players who spend gain an advantage over those who don't. I guess you'll just have to accept being a top 600 BG player instead of a top 400 player, which I know is a great hardship.
  • Options

Zuro said:

Zuro said:

Zuro said:

Zuro said:

You can keep complaining about it but it's not going to change. Players who spend gain an advantage over those who don't. I guess you'll just have to accept being a top 600 BG player instead of a top 400 player, which I know is a great hardship.
    tbf, it is hard for a person like you, who railed against prestige based matching for so long, to understand the hardship here.
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

Zuro said:

Zuro said:

That's not exactly a fair observation. Sure, the big sale numbers dramatically increased the rosters of the big spenders, but to say they increased their roster by that much in just a few days is like saying someone who saves up their rank up materials for six months and then ranks everything up all at once is also improving their roster by a lot in just a few minutes. Those sales happen only every so often, and of course they are going to cause bursts upward all at once, and then nothing for a long period of time until the next sale.

But also, that's how this game works. Spending is concentrated at the top. If the very very top of the game is only capable of adding, say, a couple R5s to their roster that would mean everyone else would have to have a lot less. This trickles downward. If the very top gets 5, the middle of the top gets 3, the bottom of the top, which is still the top 0.1% of players, gets 1, and everyone else gets none. The highest spenders are spending between ten times more than me and a hundred times more than me. How much advantage should they get over a moderate spender like me? 20% more? 10%? 1%?

If you expect the very top of the competition to have diluted advantages due to spending, where that's almost certainly where the most spending happens, no one else can get anything at all from spending. For the average player to get decent value the higher spenders have to get a lot of value, and the maximal spenders have to get more value still. That's inescapable.

I actually didn't spend all that much this J4. I am an eight year veteran of the game and I do play a lot, and I have spent in the past, but overall at the moment I have four R5/R2 rank champs, plus an unused rank up gem, so call that five. If the top megawhales in the game have twenty, how much stronger would you say twenty is than five? Four times stronger? Questionable, because that doesn't count the rest of the roster, but let's say four times stronger. They've almost certainly spent at least twenty times more than me on this game, maybe fifty times more. What should they get for their five thousand percent more spending? One hundred percent more? What's fair?

If you decide that the absolute top spenders can only have X, what sort of crumbs are you leaving behind for everyone else?
    Im not deciding how much the top players can have, they can have as much r5s/r2s as they want as long as it is in a controlled state. Prior to the deals, I had one r5 from carina and the many whales I came across in bgs only had 5 or so and maybe some r2s. This is a 1 to 5ish ratio but did I complain back then? No. This is because despite the difference between our accounts, I could always ban some or they wouldn't pop up in the draft. Therefore the playing field was still somewhat leveled despite the advantage the whales had. Although when this 1 to 5 ratio jumps all the way to a 1 to 20+ ratio over a weekend, you can't logically think that is a good idea for the competitive scene. The problem doesn't stem from the 20+ r5s, it stems from the fact that there is virtually no way to close that ratio back to its former 1 to 5 self. Concluding that even those who suck at the game, can still easily beat the most skilled ftp players just cause they spend more. Plus the challenger rating difference between 7 stars and 6 stars, further pushes this fact.
  • Options
    GenXer90GenXer90 Posts: 7
    TyEdge said:

Remember when Georgia played TCU in the national title game? A lot of people picked TCU (not as a percentage but whatever) because they had so much grit, heart and determination.

Here’s the thing: Georgia also recruits players with grit, heart and determination. They’re just 4 inches taller, 40 pounds heavier, and better at football. Georgia beat them 65-7 in the national title game.

There’s a certain progression point where you’ll play against summoners who are talented or big spenders. There’s another point where almost everyone who remains is talented AND a big spender. Sorry.

You actually just proved the point you are trying to disprove. Georgia BUYS their advantage. They have more money. End of story. The NCAA knows this and that is why it tries to share revenues to a degree.
  • Options

Zuro said:

Zuro said:

Zuro said:

Zuro said:

I literally specified HIGH ranking ftp players. Those who played at the high ranks never found issues with whales prior, solely because it usually did come down to skill back then. You literally dont even have an argument at this point your just regurgitating the same "ftp players keep complaining" point. Spending should give you an ADVANTAGE, not a guaranteed win. The concept isn't hard to grasp, but clearly you have some anti-ftp player bias that clouds logic lmao its whatever though.
  • Options
    Zuro said:

Zuro said:

Zuro said:

Zuro said:

Zuro said:

I literally specified HIGH ranking ftp players. Those who played at the high ranks never found issues with whales prior, solely because it usually did come down to skill back then. You literally dont even have an argument at this point your just regurgitating the same "ftp players keep complaining" point. Spending should give you an ADVANTAGE, not a guaranteed win. The concept isn't hard to grasp, but clearly you have some anti-ftp player bias that clouds logic lmao its whatever though.
    Literally every time there's a new rank unlocked, the Whales got a roster full of that rank and the f2p players got one or 2. Every single time. BGs is the first 1v1 content and the first competitive mode that does not separate players from each other depending on progress, which is why you might think that this is a new phenomenon. It's not and it'll happen again once r3 7* champs get unlocked. Complaining about it won't stop it.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,376 ★★★★★
    edited July 2023
    There has been no iteration of this game where people could have through skill what people spend to get. In the technical sense, yes. If you play, you will get the same thing. Eventually.
    People who spend will get more. They will progress faster. They will have it first. Welcome to a fact of life.
    I don't know if this idea of going head-to-head came from BG and his content, or from a misguided belief, but it's not up to the game team to make sure it's tit-for-tat.
    You can take public transit and go on the same roads as someone driving a Lamborghini, but you're not entitled to get there just as fast.