Options

Between buffing old champs or focusing on new champs, what do you prefer?

Mr.0-8-4Mr.0-8-4 Posts: 467 ★★★
Hey everyone,

As the title suggests, if Kabam asked you what your preference was between investing time & effort in buffing old champs or focusing more on newer champs, what would your answer be and why?

Between buffing old champs or focusing on new champs, what do you prefer? 138 votes

Buff old champs
85%
SnakeEyes69Carmel1SligKaruseusbenshbSIlverProfessorChovnerLuciusVorenusCazEmil_LimsonTheVyrusVegeta9001yossMagrailothosNescioRichTheManFrankWhiteGuzmaThatGuyYouSaw235RayhanIshaque 118 votes
Focus on new champs
14%
BitterSteelRockyshockyspiderbites0196PikoluLordSmasherRebarkLostCrestErcarretGogiSearmenismagnus_xixCaleb1705ThePredator1001UltragamerRealWizard13579rebel_KLZCtfz30AlphaNeymar10JustWantTheRewards 20 votes

Comments

• Options
    raviXsharmaraviXsharma Posts: 523 ★★★
    Buff old champs
    There's enough good champs that I'm a fan of, to play this game and enjoy. I don't mind new champs coming but I'd still love to see pick some of my favourites in action. If we can fix that and then move on to new champs that would be more satisfying.
  • Options
    Vegeta9001Vegeta9001 Posts: 1,348 ★★★★
    Buff old champs
    You can add all these new cool champions to the game but when you're stuffing out the 7* crystals with dumpster fire unusable champions then it's going to suck bad. Imagine saving 7* shards as a semi-new player hoping to finally buff your roster and you pull a drax or ironman.
  • Options
    ThePredator1001ThePredator1001 Posts: 666 ★★★
    Focus on new champs
    I like the balancing program. It keeps the new champs from being terrible. Look at Shuri and Attuma, two champs that went from forgettable to top of the game. That being said I don’t see why they can’t buff and old champ along side balancing the new champs. With the balancing it’s only a few abilities changed. Like when they balanced mantis they only made one or two small changes, they should be able to buff one champ along side that.
  • Options
    RuwqiersaRuwqiersa Posts: 697 ★★★
    Depends on whats old or new
  • Options
    I'd strike a fair balance between the two.
  • Options
    Agent_7Agent_7 Posts: 182 ★★
    Buff old champs
    GotG3: OctoGroot. Opportunity missed.
  • Options
    iDestroyerZiDestroyerZ Posts: 667 ★★★★
    Buff old champs
    Inferior superior iron man has the same horrible effect in all 3 of his special attacks, it's so bad it hurts cause superior iron man could have amazing different abilities
    I get that he was made to be a copy cat of og iron man but that was 8 years ago
    The excuse ''we want some champions to be simple because of new players and bla bla bla'' doesn't work for me because:
    1) you can have simple characters without making them a simple ctrl c + ctrl v in his abilities
    2) if a character is way too simple, new players might struggle a lot when playing with new champions (a 3* version of them) because they came to a really simple character to one that requires specific things/skills to learn
    He doesn't need a buff, he needs a full overhaul
  • Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    Focus on new champs
    Dukenpuke said:

In an ideal world absolutely, but it’s about the time that the team has to dedicate to buffs. They were stretched incredibly thin with the old program, and couldn’t continue. So they’ve decided to focus on balancing new champs.

And with the recent announcement of sand man and shocker balancing, it makes me happy that they are!

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/343143/balance-update-shocker-and-sandman#latest
  • Options
    zernixzernix Posts: 82
    Buff old champs
    My problem with the focus on new champs things is it feels like they're using it as an excuse to just drop the buff program for old champs.

Look at Mantis. They slightly increased her fury potency and added an extra mixed emotions when attacking block. You're telling me that was so resource intensive they couldn't buff an old champion?

Cassie is having her taunt reduced and Fam's glancing is getting fixed, is that really that time consuming to fix?

Same thing with Abs man and Zemo, turning off Abs man starting regen and Zemos cleanse doesn't seem like that big of a fix that no old champ could be looked at.

Even if they just did a value and slight tweak like Iceman that took a mid tier champ from OK to good but still not god tier. There's dozens of champs who just need a small tweak and would actually be usable, and then save full reworks for months where new champs don't need any work.

Maybe if every time they redid an old champ they sold a bundle in the unit store to attract whales it might be enough to make it worth their while? Idk
  • Options
    Sw0rdMasterSw0rdMaster Posts: 1,735 ★★★★
    Instead of releasing 2 new champs a month, they can release 1 and buff 1 old one.
  • Options
    HarryatomixHarryatomix Posts: 105
    All the Champs are bound to come out as 7 star maybe they should buff the terrible champs like VTD before they put them in 7 star pool.

All that I am saying is not every new champ needs fix they can use that time to buff older champs as well.
  • Options
    Mr.0-8-4Mr.0-8-4 Posts: 467 ★★★
    Buff old champs
    @Kabam Miike

For our next Twitch stream, would you guys be open to the idea of showing us the decision making process when it comes to choosing old champs to buff? I've always wondered what are your KPI's for determining your decision.
  • Options
    MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,393 ★★★★★
    Buff old champs

All the Champs are bound to come out as 7 star maybe they should buff the terrible champs like VTD before they put them in 7 star pool.

All that I am saying is not every new champ needs fix they can use that time to buff older champs as well.

Or at least buff the most outdated champions before they go into the 7* pool...
  • Options
    Ansh_AAnsh_A Posts: 507 ★★★
    Buff old champs
    I think the upcoming featured roster that can be seen in the current pre-release crystal unit deal, is a classix example of why unbuffed old champs are a problem. That featured roster has some of the worst old champs in the game meaning there are going to be a lot of dud draws in the featured.

All champs need to be viable. Situational, specific for certain formats, good for synergies, etc. is fine but there are too manh champs that have no purpose in your roster at all and so a champion buff program is more helpful than continuously adding more champs to the game.
  • Options
    ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,777 ★★★★★
    Focus on new champs
    I think making sure that new champs won't need buffs down the line is ultimately the best way to go about it. It's not ideal if every new champ is getting a tweak and there's no room for buffs for older champions (which has seemed to be the case lately), but I don't think anyone wants to pull a new champ and have that be a dud. I think that's more harmful to the game in the long run. It's much easier to swallow if it's an OG champ.
  • Options
    __SF____SF__ Posts: 288 ★★
    Is there an option for ignore relics and focus on reworking old champs ?
  • Options
    CsuttonCsutton Posts: 177 ★★
    Both. New champs should be re-balanced if needed and they should continue to Beth some of the old ones that are pretty much useless.
  • Options
    Chris_SummersChris_Summers Posts: 252 ★★
    Mr.0-8-4 said:

Hey everyone,

As the title suggests, if Kabam asked you what your preference was between investing time & effort in buffing old champs or focusing more on newer champs, what would your answer be and why?

Option C: both.