Potential Delay to v44.1 Launch

We are currently working through some issues that may affect the release window of v44.1. This means that the update may not release on Monday as it usually does. We are working to resolve the issue holding us up as quickly as possible, but will keep you all updated, especially if the delay results in any changes to the content release schedule.
Options

Battle Grounds is more Luck than skill

The victory track meta does not compensate enough for “roadblock” and/or special defenders.
All of my matches wins and loses are due to who of us were able to choose needed counters.
E.g. you will lose or time out against Rintrah but if you fortunate to be able to pick Human Torch then you win effortlessly. Going forward the nodes need to reward skill play sufficiently to overcome brick wall defense.
I have won many times just because my opponent wasn’t given a chance to pick an incinerate immune for my Mephisto. No skill on my part just poor luck on his.

Comments

• Options
    ArmageddønArmageddøn Posts: 639 ★★★
    Torch isn't the only counter to rintrah and mephisto :p
    It depends on the depth of your roster, there are multiple counters to champions not just one.
  • Options
    AsmondenaAsmondena Posts: 156
    I was just using that specific matchup as an illustration of the point.
    There are so many niche defenders Havok, Electro, Attuma, Domino, Mephisto,..
    Often the match outcome is determined during the draft.
    They choose a mutant and then you get to pick Nimrod. Just like that you have a sizable advantage.
  • Options
    ahmynutsahmynuts Posts: 6,091 ★★★★★
    I've used cosmic champions successfully against Rintrah before. I usually say skill issue as a joke but this time it's actually a skill issue
  • Options
    ArmageddønArmageddøn Posts: 639 ★★★
    Yeah that's why ban option exists. if you have lot of mutant defenders then you should ban their Nimrod, simple

• Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,703 Guardian
    Asmondena said:

The victory track meta does not compensate enough for “roadblock” and/or special defenders.
    All of my matches wins and loses are due to who of us were able to choose needed counters.
    E.g. you will lose or time out against Rintrah but if you fortunate to be able to pick Human Torch then you win effortlessly. Going forward the nodes need to reward skill play sufficiently to overcome brick wall defense.
    I have won many times just because my opponent wasn’t given a chance to pick an incinerate immune for my Mephisto. No skill on my part just poor luck on his.

Luck is certainly a part of BG, but it is not the most important part. In fact, I've won many matches where I was forced to place Rintrah and the opponent had Torch, but he just didn't Torch well enough to win. Torch is not an automatic win.

I'd say luck is worth about 25% of your BG performance. Your roster is worth about 30%, your fighting skill another 30%, and your meta strategic skills (strategy outside of individual fights) about 15%.
  • Options
    TyphoonTyphoon Posts: 1,752 ★★★★★
    Wait till you hear about this thing called the shuffle signet
  • Options
    Alkoholic_tobiAlkoholic_tobi Posts: 12
    Asmondena said:

Torch is literally the ONLY Champion in BG i dont have an issue with, Night thrasher or Kitty pryde hard counters (in my opinion) my only issue is EVERYONE IS USING THE DAME CHAMPS -_- Hulkling, Doom, gallan, Gorr.. theres no diversity AT All
  • Options
    MarvelSPMAN14MarvelSPMAN14 Posts: 150 ★★

Asmondena said:

Torch is literally the ONLY Champion in BG i dont have an issue with, Night thrasher or Kitty pryde hard counters (in my opinion) my only issue is EVERYONE IS USING THE DAME CHAMPS -_- Hulkling, Doom, gallan, Gorr.. theres no diversity AT All
    Then rank up champs for them
  • Options
    Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,919 ★★★★★
    I'd say that it's 75% skill/roster building and 25% luck.

• Options
    Okay I completely reworked my deck and rethought my strategy and yes I now too agree it is 25% maybe 35% luck and 70% plus the skill and planning. 🙂
    I was being to stubborn, I need to really focus each season on how to approach.
    Thanks guys
  • Options
    Ackbar67Ackbar67 Posts: 402 ★★★
    Asmondena said:

Okay I completely reworked my deck and rethought my strategy and yes I now too agree it is 25% maybe 35% luck and 70% plus the skill and planning. 🙂
    Thanks guys

That's the right approach! The best deck might not exclusively be your best champions, and being willing to reevaluate it puts you far ahead of many of your competitors
  • Options
    Asmondena said:

Thanks guys

Excellent.
  • Options
    ReignkingTWReignkingTW Posts: 2,547 ★★★★★

Yeah that's why ban option exists. if you have lot of mutant defenders then you should ban their Nimrod, simple

And I ban HT every time because I tend to have a lot of mystics, like Maw and Kindred, for defense.
  • Options
    willrun4adonutwillrun4adonut Posts: 3,211 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Asmondena said:

Luck is certainly a part of BG, but it is not the most important part. In fact, I've won many matches where I was forced to place Rintrah and the opponent had Torch, but he just didn't Torch well enough to win. Torch is not an automatic win.

I'd say luck is worth about 25% of your BG performance. Your roster is worth about 30%, your fighting skill another 30%, and your meta strategic skills (strategy outside of individual fights) about 15%.
    I still remember that time you beat my Omega Sentinel with 'luck'. JK, you earned that win, but I'm still bitter.
  • Options
    My epiphany was the realization that with a small adjustment you can have nearly 100% up on the 40% fury and/or downtime on the protection.
    I was way over thinking the victory node as it is nearly not there at all.
    Yeah I got too comfortable and needed to wake up. LOL