**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Doom or Absorbing Man?

EdisonLawEdisonLaw Posts: 1,943 ★★★★
Who is the best mystic, Doom or Absorbing Man?

Doom or Absorbing Man? 164 votes

Doctor Doom
75%
SnakeEyes69World EaterTendersquadzuffySIlverProfessorManup456SpeedbumpTerraMagrailothosHenriqueSCCPbm3eppsBuildHendrossNukeDoom_and_GloomAdvLogan00rdxevilMoosetiptronicJustcause102 124 votes
Abs Man
24%
bhuv9191yossLifeswickedRayhanIshaquerockykostonCyborgNinja135MaxtheSilentSCP1504WaddoOxygeN610Ayden_noah1ZuroThe_real_IndyBabyMiikeKTPrimalItsClobberinTimeIcy000JdashGogiMCOCHazza 40 votes

Comments

• Options
    captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Posts: 3,977 ★★★★★
    Doctor Doom
    Doom ftw?
  • Options
    BeastDadBeastDad Posts: 1,419 ★★★★★
    Doctor Doom
    Not even close
  • Options
    PantherusNZPantherusNZ Posts: 1,453 ★★★★
    Pikolu said:

🟩Sersi (Sorcerer Supreme 2099)

Definitely best mystic in my book

Wouldn't Sersi be Sorceror Supreme 2099 BC? Or whenever they first alighted on Earth and fought off the Deviants?
  • Options
    Doctor Doom
    Honestly looking at this, I consider them as equals. Abs man has more immunities and can switch between damage types, while Doom has much more power and buff control.
  • Options
    MaxtheSilentMaxtheSilent Posts: 762 ★★★
    Abs Man
    You can’t deny Doom is great but I find more uses for Abs Man and enjoy playing him more.
  • Options
    PolygonPolygon Posts: 3,835 ★★★★★

Another thing to keep in mind is abs man has a higher skill requirement, Doom is extremely easy to use and just about anyone can use him and have good results. Abs man is easy to use in ideal match ups. But in non ideal match ups he requires some skill. light intercepts and using heavies into so attacks for the increased crit rate. So people who haven’t put time into learning how to use him or have him at low sig might not see his true potential.

Skill cap/simplicity is a really overlooked attribute.
    - Is the champion easy to use?
    - Is their optimal rotation accessible?
    - Does their design suit your preferred playstyle?

So for some people, a champion who needs you to Intercept and Punish Heavy attacks (Black Cat) is a champion they can't really utilise; whereas a champ who needs to hit into block and manipulate the opponents AI (Valkyrie) comes more naturally.

A different person might find both those champs tricky to maximise, but find the combo-specific style of Shang-Chi something they find easy to work with.

Scorpion is an example of an amazing champion, but he needs skill, and a very specific playstyle. To access his best Damage, you need the confidence and skill to bait out specials, Heavy-counter and do a pretty challenging (and risky) "Charge-Heavy, but then Cancel into a Special-Intercept" maneuver.

Whilst Scorpion is amazing, I do think the challenge and risk involved in pulling off his Hvy-cancel-into-SP2 is less appealing than (for example) Galan's less challenging playstyle of 'Throw MLM combos, and try to land a Heavy attack at some point'.
    Everyone ive talked to says you dont have to heavy cancel sp2 with scorpion. How much of a difference does doing so make in BGs in terms of time versus not?
  • Options
    GogiGogi Posts: 443 ★★★
    Abs Man
    Doom is boring, easy to use great in match ups where you need power control. Abs brings more to the table immunities, regen, great damage etc but more skill is needed. From my roster Doom is barely used these days compared to Abs.
  • Options
    LickyLicky Posts: 305 ★★
    Doctor Doom
    Pikolu said:

🟩 Sersi (Sorcerer Supreme 2099)

Licky said:

Pikolu said:

🟩Sersi (Sorcerer Supreme 2099)

Definitely best mystic in my book

Doesn't saying the same thing on every thread get boring lol

No :)
    Fair enough 😜
  • Options
    Icy000Icy000 Posts: 274 ★★
    Abs Man
    abs man is overall more useful nowadays and fun to play
  • Options
    UsagicassidyUsagicassidy Posts: 1,052 ★★★★

...Heavy-counter and do a pretty challenging (and risky) "Charge-Heavy, but then Cancel into a Special-Intercept" maneuver.

Whilst Scorpion is amazing, I do think the challenge and risk involved in pulling off his Hvy-cancel-into-SP2 is less appealing...

Scorpion is my favorite and I STILL don't know how to do this... haha

Truly can't even fathom how it's done.
  • Options
    Doctor Doom
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Manup456Manup456 Posts: 887 ★★★★
    Doctor Doom
    Doom is my favorite and a beast but Abs is also a beast of a champ and I have him at r4 sig 200 you won’t go wrong either way.

• Options
    ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,758 ★★★★★
    Doctor Doom
    I think Doom is the better champion, but Abs is the champ I prefer to play out of the two and therefore the one I would rank up personally.

The reason I think Doom is the better of the two is simply because of his Doom cycle. When it gets going, it doesn't stop. It's really boring, but it gets the job done and the opponent doesn't get out of it without some very specific immunities. I've fought tough defenders who've been unable to throw even a single special attack during the whole fight, simply because Doom was fully into his groove and controlled the fight mercilessly.

Abs is great, but not that great. I love using him in Battlegrounds, but if I ever need to really shut a fight down, Doom is the better option.
  • Options
    HungaryHippoHungaryHippo Posts: 773 ★★★★
    Doom is the best but Abs is more useful. Hard to pick between the two for ascension.
  • Options
    13579rebel_13579rebel_ Posts: 2,410 ★★★★★
    Abs Man
    Polygon said:

Another thing to keep in mind is abs man has a higher skill requirement, Doom is extremely easy to use and just about anyone can use him and have good results. Abs man is easy to use in ideal match ups. But in non ideal match ups he requires some skill. light intercepts and using heavies into so attacks for the increased crit rate. So people who haven’t put time into learning how to use him or have him at low sig might not see his true potential.

Skill cap/simplicity is a really overlooked attribute.
    - Is the champion easy to use?
    - Is their optimal rotation accessible?
    - Does their design suit your preferred playstyle?

So for some people, a champion who needs you to Intercept and Punish Heavy attacks (Black Cat) is a champion they can't really utilise; whereas a champ who needs to hit into block and manipulate the opponents AI (Valkyrie) comes more naturally.

A different person might find both those champs tricky to maximise, but find the combo-specific style of Shang-Chi something they find easy to work with.

Scorpion is an example of an amazing champion, but he needs skill, and a very specific playstyle. To access his best Damage, you need the confidence and skill to bait out specials, Heavy-counter and do a pretty challenging (and risky) "Charge-Heavy, but then Cancel into a Special-Intercept" maneuver.

Whilst Scorpion is amazing, I do think the challenge and risk involved in pulling off his Hvy-cancel-into-SP2 is less appealing than (for example) Galan's less challenging playstyle of 'Throw MLM combos, and try to land a Heavy attack at some point'.
    Everyone ive talked to says you dont have to heavy cancel sp2 with scorpion. How much of a difference does doing so make in BGs in terms of time versus not?
    You don't have to heavy charge at all the only time I heavy charge with Scorp is Everest content and he still gets the job done
  • Options
    Nameless_IWNameless_IW Posts: 980 ★★★★
    Doctor Doom
    As great as Absorbing Man is and has become, and much more exciting than Dr. Doom, I believe Doom is the best mystic in the game for his overall usefulness in almost all game modes. His power gain control is just too powerful to ignore and hes not lacking much in the damage department either.
  • Options
    Doctor Doom
    Gogi said:

Doom is boring, easy to use great in match ups where you need power control. Abs brings more to the table immunities, regen, great damage etc but more skill is needed. From my roster Doom is barely used these days compared to Abs.

I heavily disagree. Doctor Doom is still used everywhere. Act 8, War, AQ, Incursions, and even if he isn’t used as an attacker, he’s a great defender.
  • Options
    OakenshieldOakenshield Posts: 1,691 ★★★★
    Doctor Doom
    If you run suicides frequently, then Abs man may get the edge. Otherwise it is Doom.
  • Options
    rockykostonrockykoston Posts: 1,505 ★★★★
    Abs Man

Totally this.

As someone who has both champs at R4 , I decided to ascend AbsMan because of his immunities.

Both champs are amazing, but Abs Man is superior. He can finish matches faster in general than Doom, but doesn't have the power control.