Potential Delay to v44.1 Launch

We are currently working through some issues that may affect the release window of v44.1. This means that the update may not release on Monday as it usually does. We are working to resolve the issue holding us up as quickly as possible, but will keep you all updated, especially if the delay results in any changes to the content release schedule.
Options

Is there a future for ftp summoners anymore?

Chapter after chapter of this game, we see players on all level get screwed over because they don’t spend or they are ftp accounts. This cap’s commissary event might be the breaking point for everyone in general. It’s supposed to be game, it should never be this deep. 6* r5 came out and we all saw the ridiculous prices at which r5 mats were going for while the rest of us had to struggle for scrap or slave our asses in the eternity of pain for some crappy nexuses and a r5 “crystal”. 7* r3 is rumored to be dropping by the end of 2023 and ftp can barely string up one 7*r2 as of now. I feel this is the time we summoners make a choice on whether we continue enduring this. Same goes for the whales as well because the screwing over won’t stop with just us. Deals are already getting overpriced. How long can your fat wallets bear? We really need to decide on whether to continue this way or get treated properly.

Comments

• Options
    2StarKing2StarKing Posts: 855 ★★★
    Buying stuff with units is P2W also. We work grind currency to spend on upgrades in the game.

It seems P2W concerns are possibly a misdirected frustration. Inflation, shareholder exceptions, cost of doing business drive need to find new and sustainable sources of revenue. Just hope a large number of people are well-off enough to carry the financial burden for the rest of us.
  • Options
    JollyHawkJollyHawk Posts: 552 ★★★
    ahmynuts said:

L take. Like others said it's a freemium game. Not to mention it's essentially a gacha game. Spenders always get the upper hand and have the latest and greatest stuff. And why shouldn't they? They spend hella money on it. The gap is massive I'll admit but if you're FTP you never should have had the thought of competing in the absolute highest level, it's just how these type of games work. If you're really skilled an FTP then you could probably reach up there. But FTP people are never meant to just walk up the blubbery mountain

I was wondering when the weekend "Mods aren't here" post would pop up.
  • Options
    HungaryHippoHungaryHippo Posts: 777 ★★★★
    2StarKing said:

Buying stuff with units is P2W also. We work grind currency to spend on upgrades in the game.

It seems P2W concerns are possibly a misdirected frustration. Inflation, shareholder exceptions, cost of doing business drive need to find new and sustainable sources of revenue. Just hope a large number of people are well-off enough to carry the financial burden for the rest of us.

This. If I didn’t have to work, there would be lots of time to grind out endless units.
  • Options
    ahmynutsahmynuts Posts: 6,117 ★★★★★
    JollyHawk said:

ahmynuts said:

L take. Like others said it's a freemium game. Not to mention it's essentially a gacha game. Spenders always get the upper hand and have the latest and greatest stuff. And why shouldn't they? They spend hella money on it. The gap is massive I'll admit but if you're FTP you never should have had the thought of competing in the absolute highest level, it's just how these type of games work. If you're really skilled an FTP then you could probably reach up there. But FTP people are never meant to just walk up the blubbery mountain

I was wondering when the weekend "Mods aren't here" post would pop up.
    It gives massive "parents arent home so lets party" energy
  • Options
    OKAYGangOKAYGang Posts: 524 ★★★
    edited September 2023

I saw that they're sending out surveys in game asking this exact question, so maybe.

I did the survey, and tbh I got the impression it was a damage control assessment to determine how many paying players might leave or stop spending money if and when they raise their prices. Maybe I'm wrong but I've been around long enough to know Kabam is always looking out for Kabam, not us. (whether we spend or not) They are just being more calculated about it after 12.0, aka the Great Nerf that got them boycotted and almost completely cancelled.

Bottom line is they are looking for ways to increase their bottom lines. Whether that means generating a higher volume of low profit transactions or lower volume of higher profit transactions is the only question. I personally believe they've already tried the former over the last year or two and aren't satisfied with the results. Seems they are leaning towards pivoting back to the latter strategy in the near future. Just my opinion based on the current real world economy, and the timing of the CC event (which is 100% a high end pay to play event) and the survey coming out together.
  • Options
    OKAYGangOKAYGang Posts: 524 ★★★

OKAYGang said:

It's always been that way, remember when a 4* OG Vision was going for $100 or 4000 units before 5* champs even existed? I do. The whole game is and always has been a Ponzi Scheme, You really believe relics and 7* champs are the end of it though don't you?

That is not what a ponzi scheme is at all. I know what you are trying to say, a better way ṭo put it is the goalposts always move. You'll never get there, as long as the game exists you will be chasing something and as soon as you get it, you'll need to chase something else.
    Yeah you're right "Ponzi Scheme" was a poor choice of words to describe it, but at least you got my point. Was just thinking of a pyramid (which is related to a Ponzi) where the apex is unreachable. (technically not a Ponzi as you pointed out) In any case, whether you pay to play or not you're never going to get to the top here and even if you do it will be short lived as the next big update will knock you down again and raise it 5 levels higher.
  • Options
    CorkscrewCorkscrew Posts: 532 ★★★

It's harder and harder to get up to GC and get normal season rewards

"Normal" season rewards implies that the average player is entitled to reach GC.

GC was never positioned that way except by those that feel entitled to everything in the game.

I don't even think it's the case that matching against spenders is the problem. It is the change in having more 4 and 5 match tiers. There are much greater odds that your streak will be broken. A F2P player could be the one to break your streak just as easily as a P2W. If the argument then is that you need to spend to buy shields, then you're really saying you can't make it to GC without shields.
  • Options
    UsagicassidyUsagicassidy Posts: 1,075 ★★★★
    smdam38 said:

It’s literally a free game with no ads.

It’s a fun distraction from you hitting your wife or beating your kids you ****.

Oh no, the people that don’t spend money on the game won’t not spend money again.

Where’s the “yikes” reaction when you need it?
  • Options
    KTPrimalKTPrimal Posts: 103

agree and disagree

1. disagree

we all know what game we've signed up for. it has no ending and we're paying for a service. it will go on for as long as the devs keep making content. this means we're getting 8*s, 9*s, and 10*s+ or whatever they decide to call it.

we can't pretend not to know how it works. we collect champs and rank them up, regardless of whatever form they come in.

and if history is any indication, paying players get screwed the most. they buy things at the highest cost, and the value of what they buy always tanks hard. the first rank 4s cost $15k a piece during gifting 2021. 6 months later they were given away in content.

someone spent $140k during gifting for a couple of rank 5s. months later we got them from EOP and several months after that in july they were $100 a piece.

who's really getting the shaft, super-spenders and whales or casual spenders and f2p?

2. agree

what i totally agree with is the increasing costs of the game. we used to only have 2 big spending days, july 4 and cyber monday. and believe it or not purchase limits were 1.

then purchase limits were bumped to 2x.

then 3x.

then we got gifting.

then spring cleaning.

then a small valentines event.

then purchase limits were bumped to 4x.

then they added a "reliquary package" next to odins that also cost $100 and come with a 4x purchase limit.

and now we've reached the point where a small random event like cap's commissary is asking for as much cash than what full whaling used to cost in july or cyber monday 2019.

and the purchase limit in cap's is now 5x...which i assume is a conditioning ploy to set the stage for a 5x purchase limit this cyber monday (plus another 1x in kabam's other store, so 6x overall).

i know what the smart, reasonable, rational players who understand game design more than any of us will say, like @DNA3000, but to me this is becoming ridiculous and unsustainable.

Oh it's sustainable alright. The question is just how much of a whale are the whales in the mcoc community. Because there are mobile games out there that got krakens.
  • Options
    JustWantTheRewardsJustWantTheRewards Posts: 442 ★★★
    OKAYGang said:

I saw that they're sending out surveys in game asking this exact question, so maybe.

Maybe I'm wrong but I've been around long enough to know Kabam is always looking out for Kabam, not us
    I'm just never a fan of this idea. Business isn't always about increasing profit margins, it's also about convincing people that the stuff you sell is worth paying for, often by taking losses here and there just to satisfy consumers.

Yes, Kabam is always looking out for Kabam. So if some number on a computer somewhere is telling them that they need to start making players happy, then it's in their best interest to figure out a solution there. There's no guarantee that something comes of the survey, but I highly doubt their team will look at the survey data and say "huh... we're doing everything right... no changes need to be made"