Options

Stop saying BG matchmaking is broken.

Comments

• Options
    BringPopcornBringPopcorn Posts: 2,829 ★★★★★

Agent_7 said:

It's not like there's a system that goes "Oh, this summoner hasn't had an easy match in awhile, time to give them one", it's just the luck of the draw. And some people apparently always draw the short straw.

I honestly don’t envy the position Kabam put themselves in with this. Somebody is always positioned to feel jilted and complain.
    We can agree on this at least.
    Respectfully disagree, people can complain all they want as long as they keep my pockets filled and wallet fat.
    Haters gonna hate anyway.
  • Options
    ZuroZuro Posts: 2,752 ★★★★★

Zuro said:

GoingBack said:

Zuro said:

Zuro said:

This Post is entirely disrespectful.

Truth hurts
    That's not truth, that's opinion. When you create a Post to belittle the concerns that others are sharing on the Forum, that's not truth. It's disrespect.
    Because the concerns aren't logical, you can't expect Kabam to keep handholding small accounts to higher ranks in a competitive mode. It literally takes the whole competitive aspect away from it. Sometimes you're gonna have to punch up in order to proceed, it may suck for some but it is what it is.
    I'm not debating their points here. I'm talking about starting a Thread lambasting Players for expressing their opinions. This isn't Reddit.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, including the OP. Having an opinion is not disrespectful unless ALL opinions are disrespectful. You can’t just have it one way, everyone is allowed to express their opinion.
    That's not just expressing an opinion. It's opening a Thread to dog on Players who have posted an issue you don't agree with. It's disrespectful.
    It's not disrespectful, its something called a disagreement🤯. Call it dogging all you want but even then it's still just an opinion.
    Sure. Posting that you disagree in a Thread someone makes is a disagreement.
    Making a Thread to publicly shame people who have a problem with the Matchmaking isn't the same thing.
    You're making this a bigger deal than it is lmao. He isnt "publicly shaming" anyone as he isnt stating any names, all he is doing is offering advice albeit in a harsh tone. If anything you're bringing the shame on yourself, since a hit dog will holler. Therefore by you telling us that you find this post disrespectful, just goes to show he was talking about people like you.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,266 ★★★★★
    edited September 2023
    Nice spin, but that's not what this is.
  • Options
    SearmenisSearmenis Posts: 1,545 ★★★★★

Agreed. If some people spent the past 8 years building their roster and skills instead of complaining on the forums then they'd be able to make it to the GC without any problems.

Lol, you serious now. Building a roster for 8 years, in a game where the biggest useful part of it (6 stars r3 and up) for BGs is only 3 years old. Not even mentioning how much p2w is the mode.
  • Options
    Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,919 ★★★★★
    Searmenis said:

Agreed. If some people spent the past 8 years building their roster and skills instead of complaining on the forums then they'd be able to make it to the GC without any problems.

Lol, you serious now. Building a roster for 8 years, in a game where the biggest useful part of it (6 stars r3 and up) for BGs is only 3 years old. Not even mentioning how much p2w is the mode.
    Totally, because having a stacked roster for the years prior to the release of r3 and up totally has no effect on your roster now Great point.
  • Options

Searmenis said:

Totally, because having a stacked roster for the years prior to the release of r3 and up totally has no effect on your roster now Great point.
    Absolutely no effect at all. Having a bunch of maxed 4 stars, that are totally worthless the moment you get a 6 star Doom or Hulkling, or Shadowcat by one of the dozens of crystals you get from special mini events now.
  • Options
    Zuro said:

Nice spin, but that's not what this is.

Compelling argument lmao.
    I've provided an argument. You replied with a spin on how the Thread is just offering suggestions.
    People are going to post based on their own experience, for where they're at. It's perfectly fine to offer suggestions in those Threads.
    Posting a Thread to scoff at their requests and tell them to deal with it, is not constructive.
  • Options
    "deal with it" is the new "Git Gud".
  • Options
    GoingBackGoingBack Posts: 100 ★★

GoingBack said:

Zuro said:

Zuro said:

Truth hurts
    That's not truth, that's opinion. When you create a Post to belittle the concerns that others are sharing on the Forum, that's not truth. It's disrespect.
    Because the concerns aren't logical, you can't expect Kabam to keep handholding small accounts to higher ranks in a competitive mode. It literally takes the whole competitive aspect away from it. Sometimes you're gonna have to punch up in order to proceed, it may suck for some but it is what it is.
    I'm not debating their points here. I'm talking about starting a Thread lambasting Players for expressing their opinions. This isn't Reddit.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, including the OP. Having an opinion is not disrespectful unless ALL opinions are disrespectful. You can’t just have it one way, everyone is allowed to express their opinion.
    That's not just expressing an opinion. It's opening a Thread to dog on Players who have posted an issue you don't agree with. It's disrespectful.
    Opening a thread, replying to a thread, whatever it is, if someone is stating what they think, that is…an opinion. You are free to disagree, but people are free to have whatever opinion they want. Even you.
  • Options
    GoingBack said:

GoingBack said:

Zuro said:

Zuro said:

Truth hurts
    Opening a thread, replying to a thread, whatever it is, if someone is stating what they think, that is…an opinion. You are free to disagree, but people are free to have whatever opinion they want. Even you.
    It's not just opinion if it's breaking the Forum rules. But hey, call it what you want.
  • Options
    Let the mods deal with it.
  • Options
    OpandemonioOpandemonio Posts: 1,205 ★★★★
    Battlegrounds matchmaking is broken
  • Options
    Agent_7Agent_7 Posts: 182 ★★

Agent_7 said:

I honestly don’t envy the position Kabam put themselves in with this. Somebody is always positioned to feel jilted and complain.

My TLDR on this: there’s no way for it to not be “broken” for SOMEONE. Broken really means “does not provide favorable matchups for progression.”
  • Options
    ChaosMax1012ChaosMax1012 Posts: 3,090 ★★★★★
    Have to disagree. What you’re saying makes sense but then again, this “competitive” gamemode being based on who’s roster is bigger is BS i would say until it matters at the very minority of top players who can all fight as equals. Some people actually care for a competitive and fun battle, and are constantly matched up against players significantly stronger, or significantly weaker, hardly ever a relatively equal matchup. This alone takes away the skill aspect of the game mode, as someone with a dominant roster will always win on time and often health vs perhaps a skilled player who can play perfect, but doesn’t have a decked out 6* r5/7* r2 roster.. Me personally i could easily do without a reward system for BGs if there was an additional game mode beside playing friends in order to play this competitive game mode as intended, maybe setting it up so that both players have availability to the games whole roster at the same rank like how they did for summoner showdown in the way BGs work now. This game mode had a very promising release full of potential, hopefully kabam can find a new system that everyone can enjoy for what the game mode was intended to be.
  • Options

Have to disagree. What you’re saying makes sense but then again, this “competitive” gamemode being based on who’s roster is bigger is BS i would say until it matters at the very minority of top players who can all fight as equals. Some people actually care for a competitive and fun battle, and are constantly matched up against players significantly stronger, or significantly weaker, hardly ever a relatively equal matchup. This alone takes away the skill aspect of the game mode, as someone with a dominant roster will always win on time and often health vs perhaps a skilled player who can play perfect, but doesn’t have a decked out 6* r5/7* r2 roster.. Me personally i could easily do without a reward system for BGs if there was an additional game mode beside playing friends in order to play this competitive game mode as intended, maybe setting it up so that both players have availability to the games whole roster at the same rank like how they did for summoner showdown in the way BGs work now. This game mode had a very promising release full of potential, hopefully kabam can find a new system that everyone can enjoy for what the game mode was intended to be.

Its was released as a PvP game mode. You were not aware that there are other players that have bigger or smaller rosters out there?
  • Options
    Dirty_DozzDirty_Dozz Posts: 312 ★★★
    Agent_7 said:

Agent_7 said:

My TLDR on this: there’s no way for it to not be “broken” for SOMEONE. Broken really means “does not provide favorable matchups for progression.”
    Hmm, coming at it from that way makes a bit more sense (or I'm just slow, who knows). The question then is, how to make it fair without hyper increasing wait times? I know that's a Kabam problem, not a player problem, but with how some people already get massive wait times, I'm wondering if making it so all matches were even could result in 5+ minute wait times.

Quite the predicament.
  • Options

Its was released as a PvP game mode. You were not aware that there are other players that have bigger or smaller rosters out there?
    Its the very awareness of that thats brought me to the conclusion of sending the message you skimmed yes. Fighting for rewards I understand why such extreme differences may be encountered involving rosters. Thus why i mentioned the second bit as to what would be ideal to having BGs be played for what they were meant to be played like. At least in my opinion.
  • Options

Its the very awareness of that thats brought me to the conclusion of sending the message you skimmed yes. Fighting for rewards I understand why such extreme differences may be encountered involving rosters. Thus why i mentioned the second bit as to what would be ideal to having BGs be played for what they were meant to be played like. At least in my opinion.
    The initial release was a tournament with 5* decks.
    There would be no incentive for players to spend and work on their rosters if that happened.
    It would be financial suicide to bring the mode as introduced in the showdown.
  • Options

There would be no incentive for players to spend and work on their rosters if that happened.
    Did nobody read my message at all? Obviously that would be financial suicide were it to be included with the rewards. What OP is initially saying is squash matches will be a thing in a game mode people compete for rewards. My opinion on the matter is that there should be a separate mode of battlegrounds besides friendly matches that are not competitive for rewards, but competitive in the sense everyone is on equal terms regardless of progression, leaving everything dumbed down to skill and strategy, thus making it more fun as well. With this current system you can’t possibly hope to fight on equal terms with anybody for the most part, which defeats the purpose of battlegrounds by making it a power hungry whale out game mode. Thats why i even mentioned the alternative that relates to the initial release of battlegrounds during summoner showdown.
  • Options

Did nobody read my message at all? Obviously that would be financial suicide were it to be included with the rewards. What OP is initially saying is squash matches will be a thing in a game mode people compete for rewards. My opinion on the matter is that there should be a separate mode of battlegrounds besides friendly matches that are not competitive for rewards, but competitive in the sense everyone is on equal terms regardless of progression, leaving everything dumbed down to skill and strategy, thus making it more fun as well. With this current system you can’t possibly hope to fight on equal terms with anybody for the most part, which defeats the purpose of battlegrounds by making it a power hungry whale out game mode. Thats why i even mentioned the alternative that relates to the initial release of battlegrounds during summoner showdown.
    The purpose of Battlegrounds is for players to compete against each other *with* their rosters. In a game that is primarily about building and growing roster, that rewards roster growth, that gates progress to roster growth, that contains content that overwhelmingly provides advantages to players that obtain stronger rosters, that provides roster advantages in every competitive venue, it should not be a surprise that the deliberate purpose of Battlegrounds is to allow players to use their hard fought for rosters against each other. And if they bought those rosters instead of build them through game play effort, we let them do that also because they are the only reason the game exists, and we thus treat those who earned their rosters through gameplay and those who paid for them identically.

No competition is designed to eliminate all advantages between competitors. Even if you think that's the ideal, you can't reasonably hold every game to your ideal. You can claim that not having a salary cap "defeats the purpose of baseball" but it is the MLB and its fans that decide the purpose of baseball, not you.

I am not a power hungry whale, and I compete in Battlegrounds just fine. I'm never going to be competitive against the largest whale accounts in the game, but I wasn't going to be competitive with the top hundred players either way. For the vast majority of players, the point to participating in Battlegrounds is to see how far you can get, and winning the top spot was never going to be an option. I don't need it to be, to appreciate and enjoy competing against my peers. Nor, do I think, the vast majority of the 250,000+ players that participate in the mode.

I can see the appeal of a roster neutral queue, and it is something I might actually participate in to some extent if it ever materialized. But it is almost certainly never going to have even a tiny fraction of the rewards in the main BG mode, and honestly I wouldn't find it more fun either. BG has significantly revitalized my interest in thinking about collecting champions and ranking them up. Most of my rank up decisions are at least partially or significantly influenced by BG. Without BG strongly incentivizing rank ups, I would almost certainly be having less fun now. Strategic rank ups is responsible for most of the current opportunity for strategic decision making at all in the game mode in my opinion, and I don't think I'm in the minority there.
  • Options
    The 8 players at the Brawl are using their own accounts right?.. its not a defaulted deck but their own roster.
  • Options

The 8 players at the Brawl are using their own accounts right?.. its not a defaulted deck but their own roster.

According to the official rules the in-person Brawl will be a bracketed tournament where top seed faces bottom seed etc, and the matches will be held on a separate server from the live servers where the players will be handed a deck selected by the match "sponsor" (which I presume to be Marvel in conjunction with Kabam).

Tournament rules here: https://playcontestofchampions.com/2023-battlerealm-brawl-tournament/
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

The purpose of Battlegrounds is for players to compete against each other *with* their rosters. In a game that is primarily about building and growing roster, that rewards roster growth, that gates progress to roster growth, that contains content that overwhelmingly provides advantages to players that obtain stronger rosters, that provides roster advantages in every competitive venue, it should not be a surprise that the deliberate purpose of Battlegrounds is to allow players to use their hard fought for rosters against each other. And if they bought those rosters instead of build them through game play effort, we let them do that also because they are the only reason the game exists, and we thus treat those who earned their rosters through gameplay and those who paid for them identically.

No competition is designed to eliminate all advantages between competitors. Even if you think that's the ideal, you can't reasonably hold every game to your ideal. You can claim that not having a salary cap "defeats the purpose of baseball" but it is the MLB and its fans that decide the purpose of baseball, not you.

I am not a power hungry whale, and I compete in Battlegrounds just fine. I'm never going to be competitive against the largest whale accounts in the game, but I wasn't going to be competitive with the top hundred players either way. For the vast majority of players, the point to participating in Battlegrounds is to see how far you can get, and winning the top spot was never going to be an option. I don't need it to be, to appreciate and enjoy competing against my peers. Nor, do I think, the vast majority of the 250,000+ players that participate in the mode.

I can see the appeal of a roster neutral queue, and it is something I might actually participate in to some extent if it ever materialized. But it is almost certainly never going to have even a tiny fraction of the rewards in the main BG mode, and honestly I wouldn't find it more fun either. BG has significantly revitalized my interest in thinking about collecting champions and ranking them up. Most of my rank up decisions are at least partially or significantly influenced by BG. Without BG strongly incentivizing rank ups, I would almost certainly be having less fun now. Strategic rank ups is responsible for most of the current opportunity for strategic decision making at all in the game mode in my opinion, and I don't think I'm in the minority there.
    Which I wasn’t disagreeing with at all. Im perfectly fine with coexisting with whales or really skilled players when it comes to a fight for the same rewards. The sole intent of having a mode where all players can be treated as equals and fight on the same footing is to be something i find to be much more competitive and fun, and should be available. Perhaps a title or profile picture at best could be a reward in such a game mode just for bragging rights if anything as a fun little incentive for playing the mode. For me, battlegrounds have phenomenal rewards, best in any game mode due to its diversity, but i would much more so appreciate it where the battle isn’t one sided majority of the matches, which I personally value more. Of course again I’m just voicing my opinion in what i find idealistic and don’t expect this to ever come to exist, just figured on such a thread where matchmaking system is deemed unfair by many, i would throw in my thoughts on an alternative that doesn’t compensate for the rewards that battlegrounds has to offer, but compensates the players with something consistent that they can participate in and enjoy.
  • Options
    BrhynoBrhyno Posts: 9
    I think matchmaking is off somewhere. I’m in the very bottom rung (wet paper bag class) and am facing champs with several 7*s. I can’t fight that using the handful of 6*s and 5*s I have. Just seems a bit ridiculous. But I digress, that’s why I don’t really play it. Besides it takes way to long for a match to complete. Also the rewards aren’t that great in my opinion.
  • Options
    LemonloafLemonloaf Posts: 117
    I'm seeing a lot of different views in this thread. Honestly it does get pretty darn annoying when you get matched with massive accounts many times in a row. But the way I perceived battlegrounds is, that's how it gets in gladiators circuit. Victory track is for the people that don't have the skill/roster (mostly roster) to get out of it and gladiators is just free for all, where the best (and biggest) wins. However this is just my opinion and the way I perceived battlegrounds.
  • Options
    Searmenis said:

Searmenis said:

Absolutely no effect at all. Having a bunch of maxed 4 stars, that are totally worthless the moment you get a 6 star Doom or Hulkling, or Shadowcat by one of the dozens of crystals you get from special mini events now.
    Wrong.
  • Options
    I'd actually love a full season where everyone got the same roster to use. That would truly prove that the vast majority of the top players remain at the top because they in fact have the most skill. It would also show the vast majority of low players who remain at the bottom that their skills aren't where they think they are.