Options

Start order in BG

13»

Comments

• Options
    KingnaesKingnaes Posts: 65
    I have picked 2nd for every match since day 1 ( around 100 matches straight ) and finally on my last match to reach 450k milestone I picked 1st lol.
  • Options
    KingnaesKingnaes Posts: 65
    Everyone can't be picking 1st. When you pick 1st your opponent has to pick 2nd right?....
  • Options
    ReyAlemánReyAlemán Posts: 88
    The algorithm works as follows:

1. It depends on how long you have been looking for a matchmaking.
    2. If you find a matchup in the first 10 seconds of searching or in the first few seconds that the algorithm "resets" to expand the range of possible matchups, you will have the advantage of not being the first to put your defender in the rounds 1 and 3. (The "reset" to extend the range occurs at 3 and 5 minutes).

Feel free to test it, it has already been reported but the problem persists.
  • Options
    laserjohn26laserjohn26 Posts: 1,498 ★★★★
    This is not random. Kabaam has to address this! My opponent and I have both picked first for 353 straight matches. It's ridiculous.
  • Options
    flapjaxflapjax Posts: 285 ★★★
    I picked first in the VT like 90+% of the time, now in GC its pretty close to 50/50 for me. It's so much easier getting to place 2nd it feels so unfair lol.
  • Options
    GaudyGMoneyGaudyGMoney Posts: 26
    I feel like going first wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't a disadvantage during both the selection phase AND the actual fighting phase. If you're picking first, your opponent gets the advantage of being able to counter-pick, ultimately getting the last pick of the draft; if they had to place defense first, you're not as heavily disadvantaged. But you then have to place defense first as well, leaving them to better react to both who you select on defense as well as who they can safely select as attackers (e.g., saving vs using a dual-threat champ like Nick). If they made it so the person who picks first places second, I think it'd be far less of a talking point.
  • Options
    LordSmasherLordSmasher Posts: 1,369 ★★★★★

2. If you find a matchup in the first 10 seconds of searching or in the first few seconds that the algorithm "resets" to expand the range of possible matchups, you will have the advantage of not being the first to put your defender in the rounds 1 and 3. (The "reset" to extend the range occurs at 3 and 5 minutes).

Are you say that the longer you wait the more likely you are to place 2nd?
  • Options
    ReyAlemánReyAlemán Posts: 88
    edited November 2023

No, the longer you wait the more likely you are to place 1st.
  • Options
    LordSmasherLordSmasher Posts: 1,369 ★★★★★

Ok thanks, still trying to make sense of it.
    As I was seeded in P2 so I should never have got "targetted" match making so the algorithm should have never "reset" as you stated.
    However if there was some region bias, and I'm not in a crowded region (Australia) then what you saying could make sense.
    In Victory Track I was always taking 10-11 seconds to match. No idea if thats normal.
    The only time I picked second was when a I got matched, it was cancelled and then I matched again in 5 seconds.
    Seems like there is something in what you're saying.
  • Options
    peixemacacopeixemacaco Posts: 1,276 ★★★
    zuffy said:

I have 3 accounts.

The 4.8m seem to pick second 75% of the time.

The 3m and 1m accounts, I think it’s about 50/50 split. I have never encounter a long streak where I would pick first.

3 accounts????
    Is this possible?
    Kabam agrees with this?

Do you have an Arena team with your other acc?
    Thanks
  • Options
    StatureStature Posts: 424 ★★★

This season I have placed first irrespective of how long I have waited. I had matches within 5 seconds and ones where it has taken 40-50 seconds. I don't think I have ever had to wait 3 minutes.
  • Options
    jdschwjdschw Posts: 196 ★★
    I am also on the "always pick first" train. Very frustrating. It's an absolute killer when I see my opponent get the perfect counter to my best defender (or the perfect defender that I can't counter) on that last draft. And if the match goes to 3 fights, having to place a defender first in that third fight with the extremely limited remaining roster can be a decisive difference in the match outcome.

As GaudyGMoney said above, this issue is especially aggravating because it's a disadvantage in *both* the draft phase and the match phase. In both of the situations I described above, the first picker is at a disadvantage big enough to possibly decide the match.

Kabam should obviously fix whatever is going on with the picking algorithm, but it would also be more fair to reverse the first/second relationship between those phases.