Options

Let's Chat About Defender AI - Current state, behind the scenes, upcoming changes

Comments

• Options
    Maat1985Maat1985 Posts: 2,237 ★★★★
    BigBlueOx said:

Where does this problem stop and the hit box inaccuracy start? How interrelated are these issues in creating such an unreliable experiences? Does this impact all game modes similarly?

probably very much the same within the timing changes in the game engine.
    the fact is that the AI has already technically engaged its counter attack before we connect as the AI can now connect in far shorter timeframes than it could previously.
    so the old parameters that were good enough to register a hit before the AI could counter are now no longer good enough and the timing to register a hit needs to be brought forward slightly to actually match the visual representation of when we make a hit. and/or they need to slow down the AI recovery and reaction time.
    i highly suggest a bit of both.
    as AI recovery has sped up to a point where it is unfair. far faster then we can.
    it is at a point now where if the AI throws a special, and you try to counter that with your own special, the AI can begin their combo after the special before you can fire your own special.
    this is especially noticeable if you get pinned to a wall and just try tapping away at your special button.
    our response time needs to be sped up so we can fire a special sooner and the AI special recovery needs to be slowed down so they can not enter into a combo quite so quick after a special

obviously this is just my best guess but it lines up perfectly with everything being timing down to a matter of milliseconds and when something gets sped up it then creates massive flow on effects and requires all other timing to be changed to match.
  • Options
    Avenger_A1Avenger_A1 Posts: 277
    Typical. Same as last couple of years. Inconsistent explanations and buying time for "incremental changes" that never happen, so no "discernible differences" to experience either, except for the "bugs" getting worse. Not holding my breath.
  • Options
    iDestroyerZiDestroyerZ Posts: 671 ★★★★
    edited October 2023

So i was fighting mysterio in AW and judging by this post from kabam and the responses, is safe to say that kabam purposely made mysterio's AI have an increase chance to heavy attack the opponent? Same with america chavez and some others....i had my guard open and mysterio was throwing heavy attacks outta nowhere
    Edit: Sorry about the bad quality and frame rate, had to do that in order to reduce the mb
  • Options
    DukenpukeDukenpuke Posts: 658 ★★★

So i was fighting mysterio in AW and judging by this post from kabam and the responses, is safe to say that kabam purposely made mysterio's AI have an increase chance to heavy attack the opponent? Same with america chavez and some others....i had my guard open and mysterio was throwing heavy attacks outta nowhere
    Edit: Sorry about the bad quality and frame rate, had to do that in order to reduce the mb

Yes. Doom is another example of a champ with an increased chance to heavy attack.
  • Options
    OscarBitTDMOscarBitTDM Posts: 3
    Hopefully it fixes everything
  • Options
    OscarBitTDMOscarBitTDM Posts: 3
    W change
  • Options
    Avenger_A1Avenger_A1 Posts: 277
    edited October 2023

At the end of this bg season im quitting the game ai is annoying to the point where playing the game is not enjoyable not just that battlegrounds is PAY TO WIN people who are f2p and people with low rosters going uo agaisnt paragon players with stupidly high rated accounts its so one sided its a free game but only pay to win players are getting the benifts

What they've done with Battlegrounds is just horrible. And it's got nothing to do with bigger accounts. My r4 She Hulk and Titania, both #decay are hitting r3 mystics like wet noodles when I'm to lose a match. And everything works perfectly when I'm to win. It's pretty obvious what's going on.
  • Options
    iDestroyerZiDestroyerZ Posts: 671 ★★★★
    Dukenpuke said:

Yes. Doom is another example of a champ with an increased chance to heavy attack.
    Yep but it's only when the shock is active, which just reinforces the idea of them tweaking the AI
  • Options
    JMORG1111JMORG1111 Posts: 158
    Thanks for at least admitting there is a problem with the AI. It doesn't exactly help current situations, but hey at least you have pinpointed it. Step two is washing it off.
  • Options
    AntoniolioAntoniolio Posts: 7
    The new A.I on special attacks is rubbish, 30 to 45 seconds in BG waiting for the defenders launching the special attacks...
  • Options
    heldhoch2heldhoch2 Posts: 20
    it feels like I play against a bot, that has all the capabilities of msd, bero and fintec combined - but without any human flaw -.-
    pleeeease, Kabam. Remove this before the next hard content is released...or was that introduced to make your players invest more money?
  • Options
    IRQIRQ Posts: 305 ★★

The new A.I on special attacks is rubbish, 30 to 45 seconds in BG waiting for the defenders launching the special attacks...

Try this on current track node set if the defender has Mystic Dispersion on. Literally just stand there blocking as soon as they hit sp2, no matter what champion, no matter what opponents, the only choices suddenly are wait for timeout, eat sp3 from placebos expiring or eat sp3 from hitting block too much. Makes the entire experience completely miserable.

Now just waiting for someone smart to reply "just get Decay champions in draft options" :)
  • Options
    Vegeta9001Vegeta9001 Posts: 1,357 ★★★★
    As long as it means I'm not spending 60 seconds of a BG game trying to dex a special, or having the AI slowly walk at me and throw light attacks at the air instead of dashing. Passive AI is not fun, engaging or skill based, just drives me to not want to play.
  • Options
    Wiredawg1Wiredawg1 Posts: 504 ★★★★
    The AI on map 8 is horrible with 7*s. It’s like playing on the old map 5. Defenders just hold block. Takes at times over a min to bait them into throwing specials. It wasn’t like this when it was 6* defenders only the 7*s
  • Options
    Sachhyam257Sachhyam257 Posts: 1,009 ★★★★
    edited November 2023
    Just spent 20s trying to bait an sp2 from abs man, only to then get cornered, bait special for 10s more, then got clipped which pushed him to sp3 (didn't hesitate for sec after he got to sp3 him). Stingy ****. This just ain't fun.

Also, the AI has now mastered the art of sidestep intercepts and generally reacts ridiculously fast (I can barely keep up sometimes and I've played this game for ~8 years).
  • Options
    Manup456Manup456 Posts: 887 ★★★★
    So are we going into Nacropolis with these issues? I haven’t heard anything
  • Options
    Yukzii_IIYukzii_II Posts: 89
    Only thing thats changed for me is that the ai is super defensive