**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

A (long format) scrub enters the Necropolis

Comments

• Options
    MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,375 ★★★★★
    @PROG73 Stryfe can be ramped up, and do some useful stuff here; but he isn't actually immune to reverse controls; so won't work in the last 1%.

He's got 'Psychic Shielding' but that doesn't help against the GM; only against Emma Frost or Delirium nodes.
  • Options
    MrSakuragiMrSakuragi Posts: 3,975 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

PROG73 said:

2. Can I start with aegon as rank 4 - ramp him up and then ascend and r5 him during the run?

yoss said:

Anyone knows what happened If I'm ranking up and ascending aegon in the middle of the necropolis path will he be updated for the rest or I'll keep playing him as he was during the run.

Unless there’s something special about the Necropolis, in general when you rank up a champ in the middle of doing content they increase in strength as you would expect. It’s been a while since I’ve done that, but my recollection is they even have a green border in your team window after you do that to indicate they’ve been updated.

If anyone has done that recently and can confirm or seen something different, let us all know.
    I can confirm it works that way in Necropolis with rank ups. Increased stats update. I cannot confirm the same happens with ascension but I would expect it to.
  • Options
    PROG73PROG73 Posts: 67

@PROG73 Stryfe can be ramped up, and do some useful stuff here; but he isn't actually immune to reverse controls; so won't work in the last 1%.

He's got 'Psychic Shielding' but that doesn't help against the GM; only against Emma Frost or Delirium nodes.

Thx - that could have been a disastrous mistake. Wiccan or Juggs it is then!
  • Options
    PROG73PROG73 Posts: 67

DNA3000 said:

PROG73 said:

2. Can I start with aegon as rank 4 - ramp him up and then ascend and r5 him during the run?

yoss said:

Anyone knows what happened If I'm ranking up and ascending aegon in the middle of the necropolis path will he be updated for the rest or I'll keep playing him as he was during the run.

Unless there’s something special about the Necropolis, in general when you rank up a champ in the middle of doing content they increase in strength as you would expect. It’s been a while since I’ve done that, but my recollection is they even have a green border in your team window after you do that to indicate they’ve been updated.

If anyone has done that recently and can confirm or seen something different, let us all know.
    I can confirm it works that way in Necropolis with rank ups. Increased stats update. I cannot confirm the same happens with ascension but I would expect it to.
    Cheers. Think I will ascend at r4 then just in case. Then take to r5.
  • Options
    SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,808 ★★★★★
    yeah baby complete those double track objectives

congrats dna!!🥳🎉🎉
  • Options
    KoiBoy18KoiBoy18 Posts: 312 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

10:04 AM
    You could remove the charges by deliberately backing into the corner, but that’s some MSD-level $4!% there, and this is the Scrubathon, not a reboot of That’s Incredible.

Beating Necropolis in week 1 proves you're not a long form scrub- congrats!

Citing That's Incredible proves you are indeed an old fogie.

How do I know That's Incredible? Err.... umm... can't talk, have to get to the restaurant before the early bird special is done....
  • Options
    DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,551 ★★★★★
    Congrats @DNA3000 ! Your pioneering has been incredibly helpful. Hope you can treat your self after Necro.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    OrtounOrtoun Posts: 569 ★★★
    A final item use tally would be interesting if you have such a thing available
  • Options
    OrtounOrtoun Posts: 569 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Ortoun said:

I will try to compile a summary of items used and deaths incurred for each fight and the total sometimes tonight or tomorrow, plus some other observations on the content from my perspective.
    Thank you, your journey gave me some hope that I could actually do this if I stockpiled enough. The whole concept of having to use potentially dozens of revives a fight was intimidating and poking a toe in for the first fights on the path didn't really help either. You've probably inspired a lot of people to give everest content a shot.
  • Options
    Bugmat78Bugmat78 Posts: 2,141 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

I'm not a literal scrub. I'd say I'm a decent player. I've done all the Variants, I've completed all the Acts, I got Cavalier in the first month of release, Thronebreaker day one and Paragon not that long after release. I've competed in tier 5 war, I get to the Gladiator Circuit regularly, and the last time I failed to complete time limited challenge content was the Maze.

But long form content and I have a strained relationship. I never actually did a full Labyrinth run, and while I've done some test runs I have yet to do the Abyss either. I keep putting it off, because they aren't going anywhere and frankly content that takes hours and hours is not my cup of tea. And then there was the Grandmaster's Gauntlet which I did fully explore, but I still think the content gets the W there.

But given the progression implications of Necropolis, I decided it was time to face my demons. And I figured since most of the Necropolis content out there is being made by the quick, the sharp, the awesome, and whatever MSD is, I thought I would share how a regular human being approaches the content. Note: I haven't completed it yet, more on that in a bit. This is going to be my own journal of success, failure, more failure, even more failure, and hopefully eventual tea bag of the Grandmaster over however long it takes me.

The reason I don't do well with long form challenge content is two-fold. First: I'm old. Not Crypt-Keeper old, but I'm probably more than double the age of the average MCOC player. I have to squint to look at the itty bitty text on the screen (how many charges do I have left? Is that a 3?) and my fingers get tired. I'm actually a pretty decent player five minutes into the fight, but fifty minutes in and I'm less so. However, second: I tend to get locked into content. Once I get going, I don't like to give up. I get caught up on pushing, which means the longer I play, the worse I get, and the more I try to push even harder. This is a recipe for a dumpster fire of memes. If I don't want to spend a fortune on Necropolis, I have to pace myself. This means I'm probably about to embark on the slowest Necropolis run anyone's heard of. This is not going to be an action packed thread.

I'm hoping that in all seriousness, maybe this gets people who think the content is too hard, too long, or too costly to reconsider. For many players, it probably is: it is after all the top tier end game content in the game right now. But maybe there are people out there who are good enough, but just don't know it. I hope I'm one of them.

For everyone else, enjoy seeing (or at least reading) someone get his tail kicked over and over and over again.

You sound just like me wrt long content (mid-40s guy here). Once i commit I can't force myself to start over. I do lack the patience you illustrate though, so my unit stash usually suffers if I am not "in the zone".

I've done one run of every everest content but never explored any except ROL, Gauntlet and EOPs. If I do a 2nd run myself it might not be until after cyber weekend, but I can't imagine doing this 5 more time unless I get 7* versions of the counters like Shuri.

Good luck and looking forward to the journal!
  • Options
    Bugmat78Bugmat78 Posts: 2,141 ★★★★★
    edited November 2023
    DNA3000 said:

Ortoun said:

I will try to compile a summary of items used and deaths incurred for each fight and the total sometimes tonight or tomorrow, plus some other observations on the content from my perspective.
    Bugmat78 said:

DNA3000 said:

I'm not a literal scrub. I'd say I'm a decent player. I've done all the Variants, I've completed all the Acts, I got Cavalier in the first month of release, Thronebreaker day one and Paragon not that long after release. I've competed in tier 5 war, I get to the Gladiator Circuit regularly, and the last time I failed to complete time limited challenge content was the Maze.

But long form content and I have a strained relationship. I never actually did a full Labyrinth run, and while I've done some test runs I have yet to do the Abyss either. I keep putting it off, because they aren't going anywhere and frankly content that takes hours and hours is not my cup of tea. And then there was the Grandmaster's Gauntlet which I did fully explore, but I still think the content gets the W there.

But given the progression implications of Necropolis, I decided it was time to face my demons. And I figured since most of the Necropolis content out there is being made by the quick, the sharp, the awesome, and whatever MSD is, I thought I would share how a regular human being approaches the content. Note: I haven't completed it yet, more on that in a bit. This is going to be my own journal of success, failure, more failure, even more failure, and hopefully eventual tea bag of the Grandmaster over however long it takes me.

The reason I don't do well with long form challenge content is two-fold. First: I'm old. Not Crypt-Keeper old, but I'm probably more than double the age of the average MCOC player. I have to squint to look at the itty bitty text on the screen (how many charges do I have left? Is that a 3?) and my fingers get tired. I'm actually a pretty decent player five minutes into the fight, but fifty minutes in and I'm less so. However, second: I tend to get locked into content. Once I get going, I don't like to give up. I get caught up on pushing, which means the longer I play, the worse I get, and the more I try to push even harder. This is a recipe for a dumpster fire of memes. If I don't want to spend a fortune on Necropolis, I have to pace myself. This means I'm probably about to embark on the slowest Necropolis run anyone's heard of. This is not going to be an action packed thread.

I'm hoping that in all seriousness, maybe this gets people who think the content is too hard, too long, or too costly to reconsider. For many players, it probably is: it is after all the top tier end game content in the game right now. But maybe there are people out there who are good enough, but just don't know it. I hope I'm one of them.

For everyone else, enjoy seeing (or at least reading) someone get his tail kicked over and over and over again.

You sound just like me wrt long content (mid-40s guy here). Once i commit I can't force myself to start over. I do lack the patience you illustrate though, so my unit stash usually suffers if I am not "in the zone".

I've done one run of every everest content but never explored any except ROL, Gauntlet and EOPs. If I do a 2nd run myself it might not be until after cyber weekend, but I can't imagine doing this 5 more time unless I get 7* versions of the counters like Shuri.

Good luck and looking forward to the journal!
    Clearly I read this front to back - it's over but it was a great read!

• Options
    Noodes_Noodes_ Posts: 113
    Loved this thread. Congrats on your completion @DNA3000!
  • Options
    phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,688 ★★★★★
    It's the self deprecating way you write that sucks me in every time.

When I tell my kids about my old fights (actual hurty ones) the funniest stories are the ones where I got X^%*ed up.

If I only talked about the wins, besides coming off as a proper wanker, I wouldn't have too many stories to tell anyway.

If the intent was to make it sound like a "regular" scrub could actually do Necro, mission accomplished, hell, even I think I'm half a chance after reading it.

Good job mate!

• Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    Re: Kam Post

So that's why I couldn't see what the prompts were. I had to pause the fight and read each time
  • Options
    Doctorwho13Doctorwho13 Posts: 594 ★★★

Congrats @DNA3000 - get some rest now, old-timer.

It's been fun checking in and hearing how the run was going. And to get some idea of the commitment of resources/time that will be required. I'm thinking I'll take even longer (in days), as I don't get a huge amount of play time around work + family.

If it took over 64 hours, I'd be surprised if I can commit that much time in the space of less than a fortnight - yikes!

Good luck with your run, too, @DrZola

I’m pretty sure he meant time from Necro start to completion. In that. It started at X time and he finished 64 hours later.

He gave times for each fight. It was far far short of 64 hours to actually do the thing. Probably closer to 6-8 in actual real time.